Microsoft Announces Xbox 360 Slim

xbox-360-slim-001

The rumours about a sleaker version of the Xbox 360 being due were correct – Microsoft has announced the very same at E3.

The console is to be priced at $299, have a 250GB HDD and wifi support, and be somewhat smaller.

Shipping has begun and Microsoft were giving the consoles away to journalists at the event, out of respect for their unbiased coverage no doubt.

xbox-360-slim-002
xbox-360-slim-003
xbox-360-slim-004
xbox-360-slim-005

Most significantly, it is now very black and quite shiny – a fine match for Kinect in fact:

untitled

xbox-360-slim-006

Although not a hugely inspiring set of new features, not that any are really needed with something like Kinect (not yet) on display, it may well provide the mid life-cycle boost Microsoft is looking for, assuming the hardware works this time around.

Comment by IIRawkII
    14:03 15/06/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Maintaining the same price point, it will be a nice new welcome to those that don't already own one.

14:18 15/06/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Looks pretty slick ;)

14:24 15/06/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Sleek and shiny black huh? So I guess it'll collect fingerprints and dust from all areas of the known universe.

13:44 15/06/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

well in my honest opinion... the thing looks horrible. i like straight lines and such. having multiple angles like that is really annoying. and it doesn't really look "slim." but you know, all that matters is if it really works. so we wait and see.

12:55 15/06/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Look at all the PS3 fanboys. You are all like little bugs.

13:50 14/06/2013 # ! Neutral (0)

Looks like the very first picture shows a Red Ring of Death, does it launch stock with this feature? or is it a DLC for later? :P (3 red lights, Quads 2, 3, and 4 = Hardware Malfunction, Check Power supply Light, Interpret "Secondary Code", or "Contact Support"). So yes, RROD. What a wonderful XBox feature. My PS3 has never done that, neither has my PC, Wii U, or any other console I've owned. :)

15:20 15/06/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

The lower half of the case, I bet they made it harder to mod. That's my guess. So if anyone opens up the box... Someone in the world who you don't know.. will die. And you will receive 1 million dollars. Lol. Just like the movie "The Box." But not really. I bet it just sets an alarm to Microsoft that the xbox is opened or something or that it's modded. Hmm..

16:22 15/06/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

dont spend money for this piece of crap
    rrod will be your best friend rofl

16:55 15/06/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

"...out of respect for their unbiased coverage no doubt."

The "unbiased" (/sarcasm) Artefact making a comment on biased reporting? If I remember, anything Japanese gets an A+ in his book...

HAHAHAHAHA

Comment by Artefact

Are you reading the same site as everyone else?

16:15 15/06/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Its not that slim at all really. The new model is reduced in size in terms of height. The width is the same as the original 360.

0.0 The name of the new model is "XBox 360 S". S must mean Short

15:26 15/06/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

I love how this site makes every positive announcement seem fair and unbia-..oh wait...

Retarded Sankaku.

07:40 16/06/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

I love how you're under the assumption that Artefact has ever wanted to be unbiased.

I also love that you're also obviously a 360 fanboy, and are probably also under the assumption that with this new development you suddenly won't get the RRoD every 5 months on your console and have to get a new one.

I also love that you probably assume no RRoD on 360 would ever make it something other than a carpet heating brick of shit.

Comment by Dark Mage
    15:33 15/06/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Should they be making a slim when they are still having thermo issues with the present design?
    A slimmer case is going to run even hotter unless they're going with a slimline drive and put better fans in it.

16:05 15/06/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

I'm sure Microsoft is well aware of the heat issues and the consumer backlash generated from their previous mistakes. I don't see how they couldn't be considering the amount of money they've spent in trying to fix them. This new design may have been conceived in light of it, actually.

The original design of the Xbox is already associated with overheating so perhaps they decided to design a new one to separate the Xbox from that stigma. With the larger vent displayed on the side, it certainly looks like they've taken cooling into consideration, at least. And in the wake of the PS3 Slim's success, what better time to introduce this new model?

12:43 15/06/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

looks like someone banged it ....looks bent..

11:36 15/06/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

afaik black traps heat more than white and their white 360 had heat problems, hmm...

Comment by Dark Mage
    15:42 15/06/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Actually black has much better emissivity then white.
    Car radiators are often painted black to improve their cooling.

12:05 15/06/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Dark colors just convert a higher percentage of light into heat because they absorb more. Unless you're leaving your Xbox out on the sidewalk in the middle of summer, it wouldn't pose a problem. And regardless, it looks like the glossy black is more reflective than the previous matte white, so there would be less absorbed anyway.

Basically, shut up.

11:59 15/06/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

you guys really fucking hate xbox/microsoft/american products/anything not sony

14:14 15/06/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Well that's not true. I love my PS2. I did go through 2 of them though. I'm on my third.

Comment by Myballz
    11:34 15/06/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

It better work.

Comment by YakomoFujikawa
    10:57 15/06/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

It kinda looks like a blender/coffee machine from the front...

01:49 16/06/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Yeah I thought the same.

Comment by PrinceHeir
    12:00 15/06/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

i might buy someday due to lost odyssey and magna carta 2 hopefully those 2 games find it's way on the PC world not only will it save me some money but i will be able to incorporate mods to it :)

Comment by Ky Kiske
    12:02 15/06/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

I will buy Xbox at all costs... Guilty Gear 2 Overture is exclusive for XB and i wish to play it. I really hate *any* platform: i only like PC becasue of options - not only playing games (and few other features), PC can be upgraded, loaded by programs and connected with lot of other devices... i accept Xbox as option and "only" rival of PlayStation, look on changes of PS2 (when they fight with Nintendo) compared to PS1 (strong and revolutional changes) and then look on changes of PS3! They need competitor, or they will not work to make PS better! Xbox is almost same thing as PS (for me), but Sony have longer experience - Microsoft have more capital.

ONLY and *real* problem of Xbox, is mentioned "Ring of death"... if they will fix this: it will rise amount of users dramatically!

Comment by PrinceHeir
    16:15 15/06/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

the only problem for pc for me is that it's not been getting games i want. seriously where's my tekken 6? blazblue CS(only calamity triger is available) heck even super street fighter IV does not have a pc version(only normal one) PC is great since it's more flexible and ability to set up your server rules map anything can be done with the PC the only problem is lack of support hopefully next gen they will realize that pc needs some love to :D can't wait for MGS rising though gonna buy for both PC and PS3 :)

Comment by Ky Kiske
    02:59 16/06/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

I 100% agree... GG2O is only reason why i wish to hawe XB.

Comment by UraSapMrJap
    12:25 15/06/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

The new exterior is almost as awful as the ps3's. It wouldn't be so bad if it came in white.

Comment by Lolicon-4-ever
    12:35 15/06/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

I kinda find it ironic that the first pic I see is the new xbox with a red ring of death.

12:38 15/06/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

No shit? You must have been a honor roll student to realize that.

13:20 15/06/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Lolicons aren't the brightest bulbs

Comment by Lolicon-4-ever
    03:51 16/06/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

In fact I was an honor roll student. You must have telekinetic abilities to have found that out.

Comment by PhillB
    12:15 15/06/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Actually, I dislike the PS3. Yet I won't be getting this thing. I have a 360 that has worked like a charm for nearly 4 years now. No RRoDs ever.

About Kinect, Chilren of Eden really drew my attention. I'm still hesitant about its future, but I will wait before I get my hands on any new piece of "hardware".

Comment by haibane13
    02:21 16/06/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

New look , same bullshit

01:00 16/06/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Oh, look. Someone put a RRoD right on the picture already. Well iddn't dat cute?.

GG guys, GG.

Comment by R3TAK
    19:20 15/06/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

So essentially what Microsoft have done is brought there console up to the standard of the Ps3 by which I mean Fat PS3's have always had wifi support and the ps3 slims have the 250 GB hard drive so yer no breakthroughs to see here.

20:37 15/06/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

It's still an X-Box.

18:02 15/06/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Man, this thing is ugly. Still, if it comes at a ~$200 price point and no longer bricks every time you want to play it, I might get one, so I can play 360 exclusives, like Alan Wake and Gears of War... Really, that's all I'd be interested in for the system. Then again, Microsoft rapes you on the other fees. The cheap systems always lack integral components that cost twice as much as the more price versions, and then their online fee just kills you in the long run. Each years sets you back $50, making it the most expensive long term system on the market, never mind the bricking and replacement if that's not fixed... Idk, it's hard to justify buying a 360 even if they fix the various insta-deaths to the system.

17:43 15/06/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Slim anybody?

21:40 15/06/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Check this out.

00:29 16/06/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Who needs RROD when you have BSOD?! (Blender Sound of Death

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wwINtoQpyNc&feature=player_embedded [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wwINtoQpyNc&feature=player_embedded]

21:41 15/06/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Check this out:

Comment by raijinz
    22:54 15/06/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

THANK YOU SIR! Microsoft almost had me fooled, but seeing this vid has made me seriously reconsider getting the new slim! I mean c'mon! That could happen to anyone if they weren't paying attention or were distracted, or someone else who didn't know did the same thing! This is almost as bad as RROD!

21:51 15/06/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

for a second there, I though it was hi-tech toaster.

22:15 15/06/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

The early buyers of the x360 got scammed. Built in WIFI and 250gb HDD at the same price the Elite model was at?

People who just got their elites will be mighty pissed.

Comment by Azure Xuchilbara
    02:01 16/06/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

I'm glad I got mine off a garage sale about 2 years ago...$90.00 for an original 360 model was worth it~

10:54 15/06/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Looks nice to me, but seeing I already have an old Elite and an import NTSC-J model, I don't see a need to buy the slim. Maybe if my trusty Elite blows a nut into the blizzard of balls known as the RRoD, I'll consider it.

10:54 15/06/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

The amount of bias on this site is depressing. What has the Xbox done to the gaming industry besides offer healthy competition?

The overheating issues on the earlier batch of consoles are already well known, and Microsoft took responsibility and created an extended warranty program at a cost of $1.05 billion to rectify their mistake. Beyond that, they have since continued to update the console regularly and have reduced failure rates to as low as 4% since the introduction of the Jasper chipset in the third quarter of 2008, with less than 1% caused by the infamous RRoD.

Outside of Sankakucomplex, when was the last time you saw an article debasing the 360 because of its overheating? Why they continue to do so here is beyond me. Bias? Satire? Some lukewarm grudge they've been stewing for five years since the console's introduction to the market?

As a gamer that loves the industry in its entirety, from PCs to every family of consoles, this kind of preferential treatment comes across as something stemming from ignorance. I feel bad for the people who neglect the PS3 and miss out on great games like God of War or Metal Gear Solid. And likewise for those that avoid the 360 for games like Mass Effect and Halo. And hell, if it wasn't for Nintendo - with Ocarina of Time and Mario 64 - I probably wouldn't even be a gamer at all.

So, how about we lay off the bashing for a while and try to enjoy video games as gamers rather than fanboys, eh?

06:53 15/06/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

lets hope no more high failure rate