Rozen Aso: Otaku Tourism Will Save Japan

taro-aso-pm.jpg

Prime Minister Rozen Aso recently debuted his newest plan to shake Japan out of its economic doldrums: otaku tourism.

With one notable exception, Aso’s new plan differed little from the tired promises made in past.

Whilst his plan repeats oft mentioned commitments to an environmentally conscious economic strategy and promises to build a society friendly to the elderly, Aso also unveiled his determination to reinforce the country’s “soft power”.

Soft power is Aso’s euphemism for anime, manga and games, as well as Japanese fashion and similar.

By reinforcing the popularity of Japanese visual culture abroad, Aso hopes to bring foreign otaku by the millions to Japan to soak up the related culture and purchase anime-related goods directly at the source.

Aso confidently predicted that the otaku tourist trade could burgeon to 20 to 30 trillion yen and generate 500,000 new jobs.

The Prime Minister set a target for drawing 20 million foreign visitors to Japan by 2020, more than doubling the current number of 8 million.

Previous efforts to drastically increase tourism, such as the “Yokoso Japan” branding strategy, have met mixed results, but concentrated very strongly on traditional and very staid attractions such as onsen and ryokan, rather than the more modern appeal of Akiba maid sex parlors.

Via Japan Today.

The Japanese visual culture industry is not known for its high wages and a number of high profile studios have either significantly reduced staff or have closed shop altogether; the media industry seems an unlikely economic incubator, and traditional publishers have proven less than dynamic.

The media in question may harbor some technologically progressive industries (video games), but the tourism itself is unlikely to promote investment or consumption which will assure Japan’s technological and scientific growth.

Further, the Japanese themselves may balk at the idea of opening their country to legions of foreigners who may believe that Japan is filled to the brim with cosplaying maids and would-be ninjas (although they seem silent when tourists come expecting geisha and samurai). Even indigenous otaku suffer much scorn.

Many Japanese lament such a maniacal image being associated with them, wanting instead to be taken seriously.

They may overlook the fact that tens of millions the world over do not take much interest in the TV or comics of more “serious” countries…

Comment by Genny
    01:54 11/04/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

I've read a separate article about it somewhere. I have to say that it took them long enough to see how their comic industry is doing them good.

It's attracting more people than trips to the beach (Tropical countries) yet it's still one of the world's most expensive places to go.

But I don't see Japan opening itself to foreign investment. Like this article said..they're going to make them buy from Japan. An inspiring trait our country doesn't seem to do so well T_T

Should they provide the budget then Japan would be a force to reckon with.

Comment by Haruka Amami
    01:47 11/04/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

"Aso’s strategy looks flawed, or at least highly optimistic, from the very start."
    Yeah, very likely. Wish I could go to Japan right now though..... =(

01:57 11/04/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

lol "this is the greatest plan ever!" ... no not rly Mr Aso. I can't believe you're willing to piss away your country's history and culture to peddle to foreign tourists.

Comment by Artefact

As opposed to trying to lure them in on the basis of a few rotten old temples and kimono cosplayers?

Comment by Riiku
    02:35 11/04/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Keikaku dori

08:34 20/04/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

TL note: Keikaku means plan

Comment by VZ
    01:29 11/04/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

I want a maid themed Japan airline.

And yes, perverted otakuism IS a part of Japanese culture so get over it moral prudes.

Comment by Aeromax
    00:50 11/04/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Hey, guys. Just a little note before you go (if you do)... please don't make a spectacle of yourself, I really want to be able to go abroad without being "that one guy". I'm really sick of people hating me because of "that one guy".

Comment by tingle
    00:23 11/04/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

well i did go there last year for similar reasons he may not be as crazy as I look.

Comment by Krisantes
    00:06 11/04/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

My souvenir? umhh. Maybe a couple of yuri Maids, a high school girl include serafuku and one EVA.

Comment by metatron
    00:31 11/04/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

PM Aso's plan looks promising but it looked a bit flawed...but it could work

If otaku tourism at Washimiya worked, why not for the whole country?

00:43 11/04/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

The accumulated filth of all their sex and murder will foam up about their waists and all the lolis and politicians will look up and shout "Save Us!"...:
    ...and I'll look down, and whisper, "I'll order online".:

Comment by Icy-nee-san
    00:31 11/04/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

All Otakus! TO JA-PAN!!

02:50 11/04/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

I hope they start with discounted airfare then because that's what stops me from going back again and again.

Comment by Bayonette
    03:09 11/04/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Who needs some boys from Johnny Entertainment where they have female idols, manga, and anime!

Comment by Soran_happies still rule!
    21:28 14/04/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

How come taro aso always has that sneer look...

Comment by scwizard
    10:21 14/04/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

JAPAN IS DOOMED

22:41 12/05/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Okay taro aso-san.
    You give me a hotel room and flight tickets, and i'll go buy stuff in akiba.

14:36 16/09/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Actually the idea may not be so crazy they could make Akiba a tourist attraction like Las Vegas.
    This really could make money.
    Someone's paying big bucks for those DVDs and figures otherwise they wouldn't be making them.

14:14 09/03/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Well, for one Mexico is already thought of as the Guadalajara from Jorge Negrete's movies, which if you ask me is even worse...

On a side note, if I went on an otaku plan to Japan I would go on a trainspotting plan, because Japanese railroads are cool. Problem is, I already saw French railroads, which are just as awesome (compare Yamanote Line and the Shinkansen with RER D and the TGV) :3

04:33 11/04/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Summon Weeaboo Horde!

03:41 11/04/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Finally they realised what they should do. Turn the country in to an anime,loli,hentai,video game paradise.

Comment by Stefan
    07:33 11/04/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

It will be like Disney World. Only more moe.

17:44 11/04/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

NIPPON IKIMAAAAAAAASU

Comment by Role
    13:20 11/04/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Umm, Mister Aso? Hate to break this to you, but... How can we come as tourists if we're even having problems keeping up with our otaku habits here? Economy sucks EVERYWHERE, bud, not just in your country. I'd LOVE to go, but you'd have to pay my way if that were to happen. Sorry, but thanks to Epic Fail Obama, I'm going nowhere fast.

Comment by ALT in Japan
    23:52 10/04/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Well, I'm already doing my part by buying copious amounts of figures, magazines and merchandise from my trips to Akiba. Not to mention all that money that went into doujinshi....

I can definitely see where he is coming from.

Comment by SaruDa
    17:22 10/04/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

They could teach their citizens English, that might help tourism.
    And before you flame, I know that Japan requires their students to learn """"English""""

Comment by Icy-nee-san
    00:30 11/04/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

I know a bunch of koreans that just moved here recently (maybe 2 - 3 years ago) and they speak English BETTER then the white people XP

09:42 11/04/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

nobody speaks english. not even anon

ENGRISH!=/= english

way to fail weeabo scum

Comment by Artefact

The standard of English in the services industry is really poor. I recall on a brief visit to Korea, the hospitality staff had English closer to the level of non-native Europeans than the comparatively lower proficiency usually managed by East Asians. Supposedly Korea is worse than Japan for such matters too...

21:12 10/04/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

IIRC, it was reported that the standard of English in South Korea is the worst in Asia. No offense to any Koreans out there.

19:29 12/04/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

This is why many people from South Korea are flooding (more like 'zerg rush') the Philippines for 'affordable' education on the English language. :D

There are pretty visible presence of Koreans in every university here in my country, although I don't find it alarming as long as they don't cause any trouble.

Comment by Artefact

I heard this. Possibly the statistic should be interpreted as "worst at passing English tests", because the practical English capability of most Japanese is atrocious.

Comment by yaku
    17:14 10/04/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Too late Japan; we do recognize that you have a rich interesting culture, but the maids and anime go hand to hand with it too.

Now, they could suck it up and try to squeeze our otaku money for all its worth, or keep on wailing about their -already soiled- image.

17:35 10/04/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Maybe not treating tourists like criminals before they even leave the airport would be a nice start, too.

03:38 11/04/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

You can blame the Americans for that. Everyone is a fucking terrorist now.

Comment by Fujimiya
    17:38 10/04/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

LoL'ed for Asou's mouth in the picture!

17:36 10/04/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

This is fake, isn't? If not, man Japan is doomed....

Comment by jinstevens
    22:52 10/04/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Nope, it isn't fake. It's his real strategy. Obviously, I emphasized the part that would interest readers of this site, but the rest of his plan isn't anything that hasn't been trotted out before by either Aso or other Japanese leaders.

"Soft power", as he puts it, represents his only innovation.

Comment by Artefact

This sort of soft power is treated quite seriously in analysis of international relations.

17:00 10/04/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

what's with the photoshoped image? xD

Comment by jinstevens
    22:54 10/04/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Photo isn't shopped at all. Really.

16:37 10/04/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

They need to relieve that goddamn crowd in comikets first.. whoops, impossible :)

Comment by Pandemonia
    22:51 10/04/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Or expand hugely.

Tokyo Big Sight AND that aircraft carrier they were offered to borrow previously might work.

Comment by GeorgieE
    Comment by The Jumper
    17:50 10/04/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

i know its lol

but how about ENGRISH?

they need to know how to speak it properly or weeabos by the millions will ravage japan like rats

and what about their stuff...will they now manufacture items that have english option with them?

Comment by Yangth

Oh god, the weeabos... I'd shoot myself too if I had to deal with even one of them.I can't imagine 20 million!

01:42 11/04/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

You wouldn't believe how many weeaboos there are in my school's Japanese class. The girls talk in funny voices occasionally, and are all fans of Inuyasha. Some of the guys call themselves by similar sounding Japanese names.
    Devante = Daisuke WEEABOO!!!!

I give this weeaboo example because Devante can be easily spelled in Hiragana or katakana(Va=Ba), and there's no need to use the name Daisuke.

Comment by shalala

i feel sorry for you. I hope i never have to see a weeaboo ever in my life.