Disgaea 4 Preview Video Shows Off “Improved Graphics”

etna-by-kurabayashi-aya.jpg

Disgaea 4 has been formally unveiled by way of a preview video, showing off a variety of new gameplay elements and some “improved graphics“…

Their place-holder site claims “super-high resolution graphics 300% over our past titles,” admittedly not saying much in their case. Inspecting the HD version of the video certainly reveals sprites at an acceptable resolution, but very little else in the way of modernity seems to have filtered through.

Nippon Ichi’s growing reputation for backwardness and endless rehashing seems unlikely to be dispelled any time soon, and whether their financial problems will be solved by yet another Disgaea rehash is also an open question at this stage.

Comment by motaku96
    10:06 18/09/2010 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

As long as they keep improving the gameplay and add new epic badass special attacks, I'm satisfied.

The girl with the prinny outfit is cute.

Comment by MARl0
    10:52 18/09/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

I think it looks great.

09:21 18/09/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

I doubt a console can run this game in this generation...

Comment by Tateha
    08:49 18/09/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

As expected. Nippon Ichi delivered what I would only accept as an improvement.

Well done. You shall receive my money for the goodness of HD loli's.

Comment by Ben
    08:40 18/09/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Never played any of the games, but this looks really good to me.

11:27 18/09/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

I want this... in my pants.

Comment by DearTraveler
    Comment by PrinceHeir
    12:06 18/09/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

it would be cool of they follow blazblue sprites. those were godly O_O

11:51 18/09/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

The important question is: Do we have an estimated release date for the US and Europe yet?

11:57 18/09/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

The thing I miss is that defense behemoth of a monster in the original Disgaea. The floating cyclopes dude with the laser like sword thing. There was a 3x3 block of those things in the CoO-3. I think?

Comment by KiTA
    06:36 18/09/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Coming from an SRPG fan (who liked 1-3), that looks amazing. Some of the additions (it looks like they have a ton of different combination attacks; some sorta large-scale, Soul Nomad style army-vs-army thing; and that "Giant monster" thing is just a neat idea) look like they'd be fun.

And honestly, that's what I'm expecting in D4 -- a fun, slightly easy SRPG with sarcastic humor (early rumors suggest it's a Twilight parody) with hard as hell bonus content that will take me 200+ hours to grind through.

I do love the sarcastic "quotes" around the improved graphics, though. I picture the poster having the most epic of neckbeards and the Simpsons Comic Book guy voice.

The 2.5D stuff that NIS does looks amazing. More developers should do it. Not every game has to be a 50 million USD budgeted 3d masterpiece, after all.

06:49 18/09/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

I'm more curious you invading yourself in the Item World ..

06:35 18/09/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Ohhhh!Moar shiny bright lights....

06:55 18/09/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

I think the graphics look great. For it to have that range/speed of motion without getting pixelated is all a SRPG needs; this doesn't need to be FF14.

Comment by Bigall
    08:17 18/09/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Awesome!!!! This is so good!!!! Go Disgaea! Go!!!

Comment by Dryaxx
    07:17 18/09/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

God I can't fucking wait!!!

Comment by adell
    06:58 18/09/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Graphics are better, and there seems to be new lifting features which look kinda fun! however i like older graphics better.

08:19 18/09/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

According to NIS's annoncement there is an option to change the graphics

Comment by brningpyre
    07:07 18/09/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Can't wait. I don't really give a damn about the graphics, though. You play Disgaea for the gameplay, not some 3D BS.

Now I gotta get a PS3, though. And 7100 yen? Damn. Better not be that much over here.

12:55 18/09/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

You know, a lot of people talk about BlazBlue, and that's good, Blazblue has quality sprites, but no matter how good it is if you go right up next to the screen you'll see the edges, BlazBlue has em too, not a big deal, this actually looks quite nice in comparison to the previous games.

Lulz, if the main character is a vampire, vampires will be cool again.

02:11 20/09/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

this game must adopt "SUNRED" to become more kickass! :D

22:31 19/09/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

I honestly thought Disgaea 3 was the last of the series (of actual games). The class system was just so complex yet also fun to customize that I doubt that they could top it off and would simply rip it off.

14:30 19/09/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Hmph, shiny graphics do not a good game make. It just looks like a shiny Disgaea 3. It may be to soon to judge but I hope this isn't all D4 will be offering.

14:32 19/09/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Finally, a new Disgaea game to grab the records for. I was honestly not expecting an improvement this large. So, I'm perfectly happy with it. I don't see what everyone is complaining about.

I probably would have been more sad if they went with bigger or more detailed sprites since I liked the original sprites to begin with.

Comment by Unlimitedbladeworks
    04:55 20/09/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

No Laharl... I am disappoint

07:56 20/09/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Looks perfect to me. But what is this "Disgaea has poor graphics" nonsense? D3 could have improved the res like this earlier perhaps, but what exactly do the critics want anyway? The block based terrain is due to and necessary to the gameplay, and has plenty of it's own charm. And the series has always used it's sprites brilliantly and creatively in it's battle field animations. I'd hate to ever see the sprites replaced with some ugly 3D models and slated as an improvement.

I was introduced to Disgaea only 2 years ago, and have since played them all. The idea that the graphics were in need of "updating" never crossed my mind once.

Comment by ranivus
    09:21 21/09/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

I dont care if the game looks like shit... MAKE THE GODDAMN CAMERA AND TARGETING WORK!

I admit i had enough fun to play a few dozen hours of Disagea3 but if I end up fighting the camera like in the last game i am going to rage.

15:41 21/09/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

so many DFC...

Comment by Lurkerman
    13:08 20/09/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

well, I'll admit that those graphics do look really awesome, I just hope they don't get too carried away, and pull a nintendo, where all their games feel sooooo gimmicky because their all "we spent the time and effort to develop this million dollar novelty item, and by god, we're going to make you USE IT!

10:15 19/09/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

I normally don't have a problem with HD spries, and yes, they do look very crisp and nicely animated. But I think, with a game like Disgaea, on it's 4th iteration, I think they should have gone full blown 3-D. This game is over the top in every aspect, so why not make it even more insane by watching it all happen with current gen graphics? Watching all those abilites, spells, and characters kill each other on something other than just a chess board, would definitely be worth more than 'another' Disgaea in 2D with HD sprites.

03:13 19/09/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

All in all, i approve of these improvements. However, the biggest problem, which bugged me for years now, is still very much prevalent. And that would be the lack of AA and AF. Seriously, whenever there's a direct zoom onto the sprites we get jagged edges like it's nobodies business.

So, here's my ultimate proposal to NIS (which none of them will ever read anyway): USE ANTI ALIASING!!

16:42 18/09/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

It's slightly 3D. They can do better than that. In fact, not only can they do better but I'm convinced they can do just as well as ever on lesser hardware.

Comment by Visa
    15:31 18/09/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

I'm surprised every time I see new Disgaea games

13:06 18/09/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

The important thing we all need to know is that Axel is back, and as part of the main cast. Go diaf, Adell.

19:14 18/09/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

There is one downside to the HD sprites; the Cat Girls are no longer allowed to be topless, and had to have fur added over their nipples.

Comment by Koyoto_Shadow
    02:13 19/09/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

What's with the Prinny-Girl in there? She's adorable. :3

02:04 19/09/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

IT'S GOING TO BE IN 3D!!! AT LAST NIPPON ICHI SOFTWARE HAS EVOLVED!!!
    NOT...

Comment by Daiyousei
    19:49 18/09/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Looks good enough to me. One thing I find surprising and pleasing about the Disgaea series is their choice to avoid just doing enless rehashes of the first game with the same characters. Re-using the same popular characters over and over ad nauseam isn't always the best choice.

Comment by TransistorGlamor
    02:22 18/09/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

These graphics are great.

I hope Disgaea 5 goes ahead and does KoFXII/XIII level sprites next.

One has to really appreciate the fluidity of those sprites. That's some good animating (or effective use of short cuts).

04:23 20/09/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Not possible those level of sprites are incredible so incredible that the system could really only hand 3-5 sprites of that resolution on screen at a time

Comment by valuheg
    02:07 18/09/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Disgaea don't need good graphics. A game can be good without them too.

02:25 18/09/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

What do you mean "don't need good graphics"? Disgaea's graphics are very good. Definitely better than most 3D games.

06:51 18/09/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

yeah... you could have said this in the year 2000 but even a game like Mario has gained better graphics over the years\decades.

Still i really would like them to tell us where the 300% improved graphics are.

So at max i would say 20% better, and it has yet to catch up to this generation....

And last but not least, i still hunger for something new from the disgaea franchise, thats why i propably end up buying the game.... plus an ps3.

02:07 18/09/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

SOLD. I'm such a sucker for disgaea.

02:02 18/09/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

MOAR FFT AND LESS DISGAYASS PLZ!

02:31 18/09/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Lol, sorry but this just won't do as actual improved graphics.

02:41 18/09/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Holy shit, something they should have done for Disgaea 2!

Too little, too late.

02:42 18/09/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

As long as there's more Prinnys, I'm happy dood.

04:04 18/09/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Oh don't worry, there seems to be (0:49) level with 45 of them.

02:37 18/09/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

no laharl again that freaked suck

02:46 18/09/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

probably will come as a fight-able Boss, and then you can recruit him.

Just like your ordinary games by NIS = CAMEOs or even more than Cameo

Comment by Artefact

They should've realised by now that 90% of the franchise's success is down to Etna, Laharl and Flonne - they even got their own anime...

Does anyone care about Prier and Adel? I think not. Most of their other SRPGs have sunk without trace too.

Their reluctance to cast them back in a main game is a little surprising... any other company would probably be making changes to the gameplay and graphics and keeping the characters and setting the same, rather than vice versa.