Disgaea 4 Dated, “Will Have Greatly Improved Graphics”

cross-edge-etna.jpg

Disgaea 4 release information has been released a little ahead of schedule, revealing a promise of “greatly improved” graphics.

disgaea-4-logo.jpg

The release information came by way of a (now deleted) Bic Camera product page, presumably published a little early:

Nippon Ichi is to release the wickedest SRPG ever, Makai Senki Disgaea 4, on the PS3!

[...]

Compared to 3, 4 will boast greatly improved graphics, a “gigantification” system, “network elements” and all manner of other stimulating changes – prepare yourself for the wickedest SRPG ever!

Release details indicate a February 24th release for Japan, with a ¥7,140 normal edition and a ¥9,975 limited edition with Nendoroid Puchi – previous talk of a 2010 release appears to have been overly optimisitc.

Just whether the promised “improved graphics” will actually result in a game which looks as if it belongs on the PS3 (or even the PS2) rather than the PS1 or PSP is understandably a matter of some concern to fans.

07:43 17/09/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

"network elements". Are they making some sort of online play?.... Oh my gawd...

08:17 17/09/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Hmm, is that the official logo? The character design intrigues me!

08:28 17/09/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Why the hell are you morons bringing up brown & bloom shooters that actually make use of each gen's existing hardware? Disgaea's been a disgrace for almost a decade, blown-up PS1 sprites + blurr enviroment textures & somehow you manchildren eat that fresh pile of feces up every single time. Should be on portables instead if they're want to be 2 gens behind, at least that'd be fine to releasing it among blockbusters that make use of the hardware like I said earlier.

Don't even bring the "gameplay over graphics" line, if I wanted a PS1-era game I'd be playing on my PS1 instead. I'm not paying $60 for something hasn't been updated for years.

Comment by Artefact

I'm inclined to agree. For a game selling millions, they are taking people for a ride with the level of graphics present - there is at the very least no conceivable excuse for not having huge and generously animated HD sprites.

Comment by Darkrockslizer
    23:18 17/09/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Well, I could agree, too. This game however goes in line with most of the Japanese-only games quality these days on the newest consoles. Disgaea is just one of the some who still sell in the West, too.

02:20 18/09/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Well it gonna have PS2 ghaphics now (´;д;)

Comment by Demonboy
    08:27 17/09/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

I love Disgaea, and especially their tradition of trio smexy girls: Etna, Flonne, and Jennifer; Rozlain, Hanako, and Yukimaru; Sapphire, Raspberyl, and Salvatore. The comedy usually left me with a smile, and the characters were worthy fap material. Sprite improvement would be awesome (mmm, HD sprite gainaxing//DFC), and if they do 3D graphics, it should be done in true Disgaea fashion: a god-awesome, defiant parody.

Comment by cantdothat fox
    08:24 17/09/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

I will always be by your side, N1.

I am going to pre-order this and not listen to anything anyone else says.

BECAUSE THAT'S HOW I ROLL

Comment by Tateha
    07:06 17/09/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

the only thing that I will accept as an "improvement" of graphics from disgaea 4 is if they do high-res sprites. full 3d is not acceptable.

Comment by RaspberryKisses
    07:15 17/09/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

so in japan in 2010 that means translated on English 2011? well i guess i just have to wait.

07:12 17/09/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

As long as they keep significant levels of lolishness in their character designs, I don't care what else happens, I wants.

Comment by Fronzel
    08:46 17/09/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Etna is my favorite demon loli bondage slut.

10:20 17/09/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

I'd sodomize the hell out of her.

15:49 17/09/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Anon 10:20 "she'd sodomize the hell out of me"
    fix'd

Comment by Shalala
    07:49 20/09/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

As long as mid boss is in the game ans you can play as him then. i might buy it. + the prinny ranger loooks coool.

16:25 18/09/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

This is the problem with Disgaea and games like it. If you're going to go with 2D sprites, put it on a handheld and not a graphical powerhouse like the PS3. It's a waste of space.

Comment by CLC
    12:39 17/09/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

please make it high quality sprites

10:20 17/09/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

MORE DFC, WIN

16:45 17/09/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Etna pantsu yay.

Comment by Fronzel
    02:45 18/09/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

I refuse to believe that Etna wears panties.

Comment by PrinceHeir
    13:52 17/09/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

hopefully blazblue sprites would be nice :)

14:42 17/09/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

I'm more worried about the archaic gameplay.

Comment by brningpyre
    05:54 17/09/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

I can't wait to get this.

03:34 17/09/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

I'd rather have more strategy and less grind than improved graphics.

Comment by makkun
    03:40 17/09/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

But, isn't grinding an optional feature? I mean you never need to be level 100++ to beat the game, right?

Comment by Kai
    06:11 17/09/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

That's right to beat the game/story missions you only really needed to be around lvl 100. The other stuff was optional.

18:22 17/09/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Though it's pretty much characteristic of the series now, they're still WAY more grind than strategy.

It's rarely about what skills you have, what classes you have, inflicting buffs and debuffs or status ailments, it's about grinding for levels, stats, item world, and reincarnations.

The most strategical part of the game is probably finding the best method of grinding.
    Sure there are strategies using geo cubes and lifting, but seeing big numbers is pretty much the main 'appeal' of the games.

03:32 17/09/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

i hape they keep the sprites, it's what makes the series. i felt similar about grandia 3, the fancy 3d graphics killed my interest in the game, some games just don't need all this full 3D up the arse bollocks that everyone seems to love.

you think the previous disgaea games would have made as much as they did if people hated the graphics?

03:42 17/09/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

disgaea=wicked humor,crazy character,over-the-top lifespan,simple gameplay,etna and prinny.

graphic have absolutely nothing to do with what make disgaea so loveable!

it's almost if i'd ask them not change anything in the graphic if that could make them finish it earlier!

rather...i'm kinda worried that won't break the universe and the exaggerated attack the character use...

(like dropping a planet on your opponent..)

2d game mustn't die!

....yeah yeah,fanboys here,feel free to bash me,i'm M anyway! ><

Comment by cax
    03:52 17/09/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

I wish they'd just let this series die. The only good game in it was Disgaea 2, the rest were just shitty SRPGs with immature, boring humor. Disgaea 3 was just pathetic, as well.

Comment by Demonboy
    08:14 17/09/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

...Did you just say DIsgaea 2 was the GOOD one?! Oh... hohohohoho! Obviously, you have never played the others. Disgaea 2 was the worst of the three. It had little of the humor and took itself way too seriously. Not to mention the dumbest protagonist in NIS history: Adell.

Who doesn't check their ears?!

... Fanboy rage over...

18:02 17/09/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Honestly, Disgaea 2 proved that if Disgaea, if it took itself seriously, would be a fairly top-end and good storyline to go down. The worst of the lot I would say is the PSP 'Dark Hero' one.

Never really saw the...what's the word I'm looking for? Appeal? to play as Axel.

Disgaea 2 and Disgaea 1 are both equally as good as each other, with Disgaea 3 coming in sometime after, in my opinion. The sprites were beautiful on 3, but the storyline was fairly crap, and some of the characters weren't as memorable or good as Laharl, Flonne, Adell, or Rozalin. Adell is one of the stupidest protagonists, I will agree, but he is at least somewhat likeable. Mao was okay, but still not as overly awesome or good as Laharl or Adell were. He had his ups and downs, and 2 did miss out on some crazy humor, I guess, but too much humor can get overwhelming.

It's like delivering an awesome punchline with very clever buildup, only to do that again and again, which after awhile, becomes terribly predictable. Each one has their flaws and merits, but I'd stil lsay Dark Hero Days is the worst, with 1 ranking as the best for obvious reasons, 2 following in, and 3 lagging behind despite some cool features.

Just my opinion, naturally, but eh. Different strokes for different folks, I suppose.

Comment by Demonboy
    12:26 06/10/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

You make a valid point, Anon...

Well, Adell, was a complete dumbass. I still stand by that! I mean... How the fuck do you not know you're a demon of your fucking ears are pointy?! And he still fails the hygiene test if he never washed his hair.

Other than that, D2 was okay/

03:42 17/09/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Improved art would be good but I wanna know how Etna would look like ;P

03:56 17/09/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

but I wanna know how FLAT Etna would look like ;P
    Fix'd

Comment by Schrobby
    07:19 17/09/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Flat Etna is flat, even in 3D. ^_^

Comment by makkun
    03:58 17/09/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

A bit of example: Trinity Universe.

Comment by Darkrockslizer
    05:50 17/09/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

furatsunessu, furatsunessu, tsurupettan!

03:31 17/09/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

New graphics same old gameplay I bet.

Comment by makkun
    03:38 17/09/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

The fans already used to the good ol' gameplay. Why change it?

13:31 17/09/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Because if there's no innovation why come back for more of the same thing? Obviously my opinion means nothing but whatever.

Comment by Jeen
    03:18 17/09/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Maybe they're referring to the idea that all the characters shall be replaced by beefcake space marines to appeal to the Western audiences.

07:42 17/09/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Manly Laharl wants to have a word with you

Comment by makkun
    03:34 17/09/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

That'll explain "gigantification" system.

Comment by Schrobby
    04:19 17/09/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Giant musclepacked hulks? Do not want!

Comment by Schrobby
    07:18 17/09/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Does this include rhythmic movement? ^_^

Comment by Darkrockslizer
    23:15 17/09/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Apparently not. We can still hope for some "put in tiny, pull out big" service.

Comment by Darkrockslizer
    05:47 17/09/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

I think it will be more about something specific growing huge when inserted within the appropriate location.

Comment by Tsundere daisuki
    Comment by Darkrockslizer
    05:45 17/09/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

So the main roles will be Sergeant A, Sergeant B and Major Lockon Locus...?