“Hero” Father Beats Down Daughter’s Bully

schoolgirl-by-wakana.jpg

A father who went to his daughter’s school and punched an elementary school boy repeatedly in the face after he told him he “didn’t remember” bullying his daughter has been feted as a hero.

The incident began in an Ishikawa prefecture elementary school, where the father of a girl attending the school, in his fifties, became increasingly concerned about the bullying his young daughter was suffering at the school.

His daughter had been subject to bullying and harassment at the school, culminating in a protracted absence. She finally rejoined the school only when her parents attended some of her classes to ensure she remained unmolested.

According to the school, with the school’s assent he addressed members of her class one day “to explain the feelings of bullied children” to them, and questioned several about her bullying in their classroom.

One boy replied that he “didn’t remember” anything about such abuse, which infuriated the girl’s father. Shaking off the teacher’s intercession, he proceeded to punch the boy “5-6″ times in the face.

The boy was lightly injured and suffered a nosebleed. The school has retained a clinical psychologist in order to provide him with mental care. The boy is maintained to have “taken no direct part” in the girl’s abuse.

His parents have filed a complaint with police, who are investigating.

The school says that “this is a most regrettable thing to have happened, just as we were in the process of resolving matters.”

In recent years Japan has seen a significant number of schoolchildren driven to suicide by bullying, and it would seem teachers are either totally ineffective in dealing with such problems, or else prefer to turn a blind eye – when they are not molesting students themselves, at any rate.

As a result, the father’s rather direct intervention has accrued a great deal of support and sympathy amongst Japanese, many of whom view the risk of his daughter being driven to suicide as a very real one:

“What a nice story!”

“Innocent.”

“GJ.”

“He became emotional and went too far!”

“It says the kid wasn’t directly involved though.”

“Which means he was indirectly involved, right?”

“He could have been organising it, for all that denial’s worth.”

“Having kids over 40 – no wonder her father was an idiot.”

“Of course you’d bash a cheeky little bastard who said something opaque like ‘I don’t remember’… He was mocking him.”

“Adults shouldn’t be beating up children.”

“He’s a good father.”

“Nice to see there are still pops about who really care about their children.”

“I understand how he feels. But do it whilst the kid is on his way home.”

“He is completely in the right.”

“The school just pretended nothing was happening. If he didn’t act, who would?”

“If my kid was in danger of committing suicide or becoming a hikikomori, I’d go and beat up the kid responsible too.”

“Don’t beat up people who have nothing to do with it though.”

“If he really had nothing to do with it, the teacher was pretty bad in lining him up to answer questions about it.”

“It’s obvious that in cases like this neither the school nor the bully will tell the truth.”

“He wouldn’t have said he ‘didn’t remember’ if he really had nothing to do with it.”

“There’s no way he’d admit doing it in any case. A brat like that is not going to have any problems lying about it.”

“He did a lot better than the kind of parents who tell their kids to put up with it and go to school.”

“The school sounds like a bunch of liars.”

“Right. They probably only admitted it when journalists started showing up.”

“The father may have scared off the bullies, but his daughter no longer has a leg to stand on.”

“It will make a good deterrent at least. Let this be a warning to you, brat!”

“Saying he didn’t remember, no wonder he got punched. That stuff about not being directly involved probably means he was the ringleader.”

“I’d sock him one too, if he said something like that to me.”

“He should have punched the teacher. It’s his class, he should be responsible.”

“Can’t be helped. Not like the teachers would ever do anything.”

“This is better than those scumbag parents who published a poetry anthology about their grief at their kid committing suicide due to bullying.”

“The people sympathising with this guy are just as crazy as he is. Having some parent bust into the school and beat up kids is terrifying.”

“What would you do if your kid was being bullied into suicide?”

“He’s a good father who really loves his daughter.”

“Beating up someone’s kids. He’s a scummy father. Sue him!”

“He put up with it too long. Waiting until your child becomes mentally unbalanced is leaving it too late.”

“Even if it stops, his daughter is going to be ostracised now.”

“No normal father could stand knowing his beloved daughter was being tormented.”

“Just replace the daughter with your cat and you guys will understand.”

“The kid was  probably like ‘What? I don’t remember anything about any of that stuff. Not got anything better to do than hang around our school on a weekday?’”

“Think of his daughter. Now her father beat up her classmate, she probably doesn’t want to go to school at all. If she’s not being bullied they’ll just ignore her.”

“She didn’t want to go to school before as she was being bullied, so there’s no change though?”

“They need criminal sanctions against bullying. You can’t rely on schools, all they care about is protecting the principal’s career.”

“You guys were all bullied so you are getting emotional. But think of that poor kid, getting beaten by some adult!”

“You can tell from the fact that they reported him to police that the boy’s parents are scum. They should be apologising to him.”

“Police: ‘Did you punch this child?’

Parent: ‘I don’t remember.’”

Comment by konakona
    13:14 11/12/2011 # ! Quality (+1.0)

There is no right or wrong with these things any more. Only big actions will invoke big changes.

19:28 11/12/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

Is this gonna be like the Japanese version of 'Casey' case? though it was the father who punched the kid...

01:39 12/12/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

anon dude, there should be a massive collect to bail this dad out of jail and pay him a "Phoenix Wright" level attourney. the man oughta have his own statue.
    remember when the whole internet united for Zanghief kid?

17:41 11/12/2011 # ! Drivel (-1.0)

Seriously?

Right!, lets kill any child that is suspected of bullying...

Honestly, I can imagine Hitler saying the same thing you just did.

Comment by starsplash
    20:03 11/12/2011 # ! Quality (+1.0)

It has come to the point where kids opt for suicide than anything. When it comes to that, parents will beat up whoever to stop that.

Its more logical than death of someone.

18:29 11/12/2011 # ! Quality (+1.0)

Were you beaten as a child? I was, maybe not 24/7 but I was still given a slap/spanking here or there. It made me into the man I am today, I can honestly say I am glad my dad beat some sense into me. It showed me the consequence of my actions and the repercussions of taking certain things too lightly, like the life of animals, I once knocked down a swallows nest and my dad beat 7 shades of blue into me, sure I howled like a banshee while he did it, but later on I realized that if he hadn't I might have done it again. It also taught me not to hit women as I saw what he could do to my mom. I'm not saying you should beat the shit out of your kids, but if they're doing shit like torturing animals or people, then yes correct them.
    Also saying Hitler would do this or that is just making you look like a fuckwit who can't handle an argument without bringing in support from a long dead dude who can't tell you if he would agree with you or not.

05:28 12/12/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

i am totally agree with u. parents should show love, sometimes tough love. every action will have repercussion, if they are being nice, praise them. if they're being naughty or even "evil" (like torturing animals, stealing, etc) punish them sternly. From stern talking, sit in the corner, grounded, allowance embargo, or even a good slap on the cheek all depends on the gravity of the offence. That is how u teach discipline. Without that stern punishment, your kid will thinks he can get away with everything.

Comment by kumesana
    08:19 12/12/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

> Were you beaten as a child?

I was yelled at, and sometimes has to watch my then-depressive mom cry about it, and my father clearly at a loss of what to do, at least in great part because of me.
    I never did a mistake twice.

Then again, I have a rather passive and obedient personality.

16:20 12/12/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

@anon 18:29 - Well, I too was beaten by my father when I did bad stuff, and today I find that a good measure. But it's each parent's decision to do so, also, to hit a child for something you don't even know if he did or not is a complete different matter.

And also, seems like you are the dumb fuckwit that cannot handle an argument without taking the discussion out of context.

18:14 11/12/2011 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

That's a good idea, you know!

19:20 11/12/2011 # ! Quality (+1.0)

Bullying usually stops with punches. GJ dad, and to the boy: you should point your finger to someone else if you don't want to get punched.

18:31 11/12/2011 # ! Good (+0.6)

I second that.

23:12 11/12/2011 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

I cannot agreed enough with it, GJ dad!

13:20 11/12/2011 # ! Quality (+1.0)

i's lol at this line

“ Police: ‘Did you punch this child?’"
    Parent: ‘I don’t remember.’ ”

01:52 12/12/2011 # ! Good (+0.6)

Gya ha ha ha :D that's the best defense!! Hope that's what he really said to the Police!!

Comment by Bigall
    16:48 11/12/2011 # ! Neutral (-0.2)

Exactly what I fought. Bullies are nothing but cowards. When they are facing the responsability of their actions, they will deny them.
    The boy is only saying that he doesn't know, this doesn't mean that he is innocent.

You could say that the parent may chose the same line of defense.

02:27 12/12/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

There's a reason why our societies work with the premise: Innocent until proven guilty.

Otherwise we could accuse you of the most fiendish of crimes, and simply wave away any exclamations of innocence as lying, and thus you should be punished beyond the measures of the law.

In this case, we're dealing with a bunch of little kids (elementary remember), they're more often than not too innocent to think up a half decent lie. So the kid blurting out that he doesn't remember any of the bullying taking place.

Guess what, it's most likely the truth and fully in character for that age group. And that means that the Father has become the bully towards the kid, who was just as innocent as his own daughter.

I can definitely sympathize with the father, I can understand him wanting to punish those preying upon his daughter. But for crying out loud, make sure you actually punish the guilty of the crime in question and not some kid who is just irking you for whatever reason.

And that from my reading anyway, is very much NOT the case here.

Comment by kumesana
    02:03 13/12/2011 # ! Good (+0.4)

> What?! Kids lie all the time without batting so much as an eyelash.

Yep, but indeed they can't make decent lies before some age.

09:18 12/12/2011 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

maybe the daughter told the father who were responsible... so technically the dad already knew.

and the kid taunt him by saying "i don't remember"...

i don't agree with punching the kid though, i would have just grabbed the back of his head and smash it on the table... maybe 3 times should be enough.

15:33 13/12/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

Ultimately, I agree with your comment. There's no definitive proof that he bullied her, and really----there's NO INFO ON WHAT KIND OF BULLYING WAS DONE: Was it physical? Teasing?

There is still the possibility that the father beat up the wrong kid.

If there was no physical bullying of the girl---just teasing---then the beating would've been wildly inappropriate even if he was guilty.

People just automatically assume any negative accusation against anyone at all is instantly correct. No matter who makes it. No matter who it's made against.

I think there's a lot of frustrated people out there that just wanna beat on someone they hate so bad that they'll live vicariously through some sketchy story like this.

08:38 13/12/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

i would draw him a line n say "c this line? bully my daughter again n the next line u'll c is the celling lamp of the hospital."
    trust me if the kid wasnt the real culprit he was as guilty, after all we would b, in some way, protecting the bully. n yes im sure he would know who was it in fact every1 in class would know even the teacher would prolly know.

23:22 12/12/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

>they're more often than not too innocent to think up a half decent lie.

What?! Kids lie all the time without batting so much as an eyelash. Kids are programmed to avoid pain. And if they think that a lie will avoid pain, they'll say it without a thought.

Comment by kumesana
    09:45 12/12/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

> i don't agree with punching the kid though, [...]

It was most probably irrational anyway.

Comment by Gitami
    16:05 12/12/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

In other words, the father should be punching all the silent kids because at that age they are smart enough to keep their mouth shut for wrongs committed since they can't come up with a decent lie.

Comment by kumesana
    08:11 12/12/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

> Guess what, it's most likely the truth

Nope, it is /possibly/ the truth, no reason to believe it could tend one way or the other. 'I don't remember' is a typical lie, and indeed not exactly a decent one.
    Also, by the end, elementary schooler get somewhat better at lying.

Agreed on the rest, though.

13:28 11/12/2011 # ! Quality (+1.0)

I'm a easily bullied type of a person, but I was wondering no one bullied me in my whole life.....

Was my existence so low that no bullies came to me?? lol

13:34 11/12/2011 # ! Quality (+1.0)

Bullies need a challenge too, you know

14:22 11/12/2011 # ! Quality (+1.0)

Bullies are weakling that can only pass their frustration on people weaker than them ,the real challenge for a bullies is to run faster that the guys after him when he realize he picked on the wrong guy .

Comment by Achiuakuna
    02:28 12/12/2011 # ! Good (+0.4)

That anon's right. Bullying is just simply fun. There's no need for all that psychoanalyst crap about being weak and insecure. If the bullied are so strong and not insecure, why the fuck don't they just stand up against the bullies? Calling the bullies weak doesn't solve anything. how about some action huh?

*Anticipating a million vote down and feminist feely touchy "what if you are being bullied"defense with a shitload of ad hominem attacks.*

05:20 12/12/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

Because the people who are being bullied sometimes feels afraid, or maybe because they are PROPER CIVILIZED HUMAN who try to talk with them first.

Face it, bullies hurts others because it is fun for them, and i believe human have create a word to describe people who takes pleasure at others misery.
    I was a bully when i'm little, i did it just because seeing other kids have fun piss me off, so i hit them, once i cut another kids cheek with scissor. Until someday my mother were being called to school. after that, she said she disappointed at me. then i regret everything.

Strangely, at senior high school, i was being bullied, i broke few teeth, crack few bones and such. It was hell, everyday, after school. Sometimes, in the middle of class, when the teacher is out and NO ONE, even my best friend said a thing, hiding the bruises is very difficult since i have to make sure my parents didn't know, coz i don't want to make them worry, or step in. I consider that karma, i never run, evade, or even parry and i put up with it until someday nearing grad, i had enough when that kid actually soiled a gift from my parents and we fight. Somehow, after being sternly reprimanded by headmaster, we start to talk things through (turns out he also being bullied by some other kid too), apologized, and be my friend until now

My suggestion is... when you are bullied, u have a right for self defense. The more u put up, the more the take control of your live. if they insult u, just insult them back. if they hit u, hit them back, if they gang up on u, if u can, beat the crap out of em one by one separately, or just deal with the ringleader in front of the underlings. and u don't have to play fair.

03:56 12/12/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

@Achiuakuna
    Even without psychoanalysis crap , they're scum , and you just proved that.

Now don't you come saying stuff like "it's in human nature" and all that crap like some anon tend to to justify the fact that they're laughing about atrocities and stuff .

next :
    "If the bullied are so strong and not insecure"

where the heck did i say that ? i just said that the real challenge for these pussies was to run away when they mess with the guy they "thought" was a good target .
    Can't judge people on their appearance , and i don't expect retard that think bullying the weak is fun to have much discernment anyway .

next :
    Calling the bullies weak doesn't solve anything. how about some action huh?

The father acted, see below for reaction .

09:33 12/12/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

@Achiuakuna

i wouldn't vote you down, i prefer everyone to see how retarded you are. ;)

Comment by kumesana
    07:59 12/12/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

> That anon's right. Bullying is just simply fun.

Yeah, which means they don't care 'bout a challenge and they will bully weaklings first, those that won't stand up.

The op's interrogation is legit, in accordance with the anon that was refuted by the anon you're saying is right. He isn't right, and neither are you, because you both get out of the discussion context for no reason.

23:29 11/12/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

No, bullying people is simply fun, and some people just rub people off the wrong way. Or the way they rub them the wrong way is fun. I forget.

@ 23:29 No, bullies are scum, and so are you since you are one.

14:25 11/12/2011 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

Hahah, cheer up, buddy. =D
    Maybe you're just secretly likeable, so nobody bullied you. You made me laugh at least. XD

Comment by kumesana
    08:03 12/12/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

Could say the same.

Very few ever tried to physically bully me.
    That would indeed be a bad idea to try and bully me unless you can raise your own battalion to track me always. But my looks, intellectual interests, and obvious low self-esteem, would suggest otherwise.

Hell if I know why they didn't.

19:21 11/12/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

I was wondering that too (about why no one bullied me) and then I remembered that my size was double to everyone else (height and weight)

Comment by Kingwel
    12:55 11/12/2011 # ! Quality (+1.0)

Support my children or
    respect possibly bullies/people who are probably mocking him/people who see the bullying and don't do sh*t about it...?

I myself would go for the first one, but I don't think that's an easy question...

Comment by kumesana
    09:47 12/12/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

You can have no respect for these people and still not be able to fathom a correct way to support your children.

'Just beat them up' isn't all that easy a plan to implement, if you decide to go for it.

Comment by uber phallas
    14:53 11/12/2011 # ! Quality (+1.0)

I still remembered a talk I went to about bullying...

The speaker said: "The biggest problem with bullying is that those bully's parents always say that they can't control them. Well you could bloody well start with controlling your pussy, if you can't control what pops out of it then you are a failure."

15:15 11/12/2011 # ! Quality (+1.0)

I think this is probably the best thing I've read all year. Thank you for restoring at little of my faith in humanity.

21:30 11/12/2011 # ! Good (+0.6)

They say bully starts in the home, I guess it starts in the pussy XD haha

23:29 11/12/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

The pussy is to blame! Down with feminism!

12:22 12/12/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

not sure if stupid or a retard.

19:23 12/12/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

^ not sure if stupid or retard.

other comment is obviously troll.

19:21 12/12/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

It's sarcasm.

13:02 11/12/2011 # ! Good (+0.9)

The only thing a bully understands is a good punch in the face. That is a great father right there.

Comment by HouseLife
    14:29 11/12/2011 # ! Good (+0.7)

This is the reality. And I'm not just saying that.

If a bully exists in the middle school age, then it is almost a certainty that they must be physically defeated in order to understand that they are not invincible. In Elementary school, innocence still exists to the point that you can be told 'that was wrong' and authority exists enough to recognize 'all these adults are telling me I'm wrong for beating this person up... guess I should apologize.' But in Middle school, you are into the age of reason, but not developed enough to think beyond slightly more complex ideas. So if you think you're a better person than everyone else because you can beat them up, then the only thing left is proof positive that that's not a universal truth by getting beaten yourself.

Most people, especially bullies, are afraid of pain and getting hit, ironically. So show them their fear, and they gain perspective. In High School, you've grown mentally enough to recognize consequence as being more than just in our immediate vicinity, so you can reason with people more readily, but Middle School.... nnnope. Doesn't work.

The only issue is that the father did it, not the girl. She should have worn a nice pretty ring and embedded it in his forehead. Her life would have changed that day forever for the better.

01:42 12/12/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

The only problem with this is probably the fact that bullies usually gang up on one victim.
    If the girl would have done that she would probably have been beaten and/or raped

Comment by HouseLife
    05:56 12/12/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

We don't know the age here, but rape isn't really the first thing that enters a bully's mind. And yes, ganging up usually happens. I had to knock two people down before the other two got me and they kept hitting me until a teacher arrived. They didn't come after me again though. It's not success. It's the action that is important 99% of the time.

Comment by kumesana
    08:37 12/12/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

Somewhat agreed. The only ones that tried to physically bully me in middle school, stopped after I showed I would always physically defend myself, even when they come in gang.

Had to beat them with a chair to actually manage anything, though. School didn't like it.

00:42 12/12/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

The girl should have done it, yeah. Go all Gasai Yuno all over them. Oh wait, ah well whatever.

But I never get bullied, even though Im pretty weak and one of those people who get high marks. :/ Some schools work that way I guess. And this school has manga :D And I found one that had a nude girl (uncencored) in a page. O_o Dafck?

15:34 11/12/2011 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

Exactly. This Heroic Father has my respect.

16:01 11/12/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

@ Anon 13:03 11/12/2011:

* "The System" obviously has failed.

* Putting the "Fear of God" [well, fear of the girl's father, at least] into the bully is tempting, but might, or might not work, because ...

o Some people/bullies are so self-centered and delusional that they will never accept responsibility for their own actions, nor for the consequences of their own actions. Their mental logic circuits are broken. ("No, Timmy, you did not get beaten up by that girl's father because God hates you. You got beaten up by that girl's father because after he warned you to leave his girl alone, you bullied her again." -- but Timmy will never believe that.)

o Some people/bullies are addicted to the thrill they get from risk-taking. They love "flirting with danger", or "dancing with the Devil".

That all said, the girl's father did pretty much the only thing which _might_ result in the desired outcome.

He didn't give the kid a pass on the kid's passive-aggressive bullshit ("I don't remember.").

"Yeah you don't tug on Superman's cape;
    You don't spit into the wind;
    You don't pull the mask off the ol' Lone Ranger
    And you don't mess around with Slim."

19:32 11/12/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

you think that stops bulling? think again, went through middle school fighting with bullies every other month. after a fight things calm down for week or two but thats it. schools are just small prison societies, kids get bored and frustrated over years and start building their own little food chains for entertainment, as long as the kids dont get out of the box that the school is this is inevitable and few fights are not going to change that

What if the girl was making it all up so she could stay home from school? Or what if SHE was the bully, and tricked her father into beating up the kid she was bullying? :P

Comment by kumesana
    08:40 12/12/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

Kind of the problem, yes. Then again, with elementary schoolers and if you're smarter than your dog, you can usually tell.

15:27 11/12/2011 # ! Drivel (-1.0)

Bullying builds character. But only boys should be bullied, I respect any father that protects his daughter.

Comment by kumesana
    08:42 12/12/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

> Bullying builds character.

Says who? I opposed to the physical bullying of a bunch of persons, and mostly they turned out okay, contrary to most of the bullies.

09:38 12/12/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

says the bully trying to justify their action.

Comment by kumesana
    09:51 12/12/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

> says the bully trying to justify their action.

Wrong reply button, dude.

And frankly, I have yet to see a bully brave enough to speak up on the subject of bullies, as they're afraid we will expose them, and won't bear it.
    Unless they're still bullies and think they're bullying the people they troll.

22:10 11/12/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

Ughu, totally, now if you would care to show up in front of me and tell that... assuming you are not 2m gorilla I can probably knock you out with the skills and physical strength I have gained in recent years to not get picked on ever again. Also did I mention that I'm going to crush your throat with a good stomp after that so that you can't ever take revenge against me or my family?
    tl;dr Yes, getting bullied often makes people stronger as adults but also seriously fucked up.