Top10-Greatest-Anime-Films-2017-8

Paste Magazine has enlisted the aid of on-air creative director of Adult Swim and co-creator of Toonami Jason DeMarco in an attempt to determine the greatest anime films of all time, with the ranking mostly consisting of ancient films likely due to their massive impact on the genre (in the western hemisphere at least).

The ranking:

8. Patlabor 2

Top10-Greatest-Anime-Films-2017-8

9. My Neighbor Totoro

Top10-Greatest-Anime-Films-2017-9

10. Neo-Tokyo

Top10-Greatest-Anime-Films-2017-10

08:04 07/01/2017 # ! Good (+0.7)

Akira is overrated.

21:38 07/01/2017 # ! Good (+0.6)

AKIRA makes no goddamn sense and completely butchers the original manga masterpiece. What should have been split into 2 or 3 3 hour movies got condensed into 1 1.5 hour movie. I first saw AKIRA when I was 10 and thought I was an idiot as I didn't understand what was going on. 20 years later, I wouldn't have known what was going on if I didn't read the manga first.

14:22 09/01/2017 # ! Neutral (0)

yeah eah wegot it

04:26 08/01/2017 # ! Neutral (0)

Couldn't agree more with OP

09:24 10/01/2017 # ! Neutral (0)

Lupin III by Miyazaki would be #1 on Japanese lists, Akira probably wouldnt even be listed.

11:05 07/01/2017 # ! Neutral (0)

Akira is the most overrated anime of all time.

It is not a bad film. In some ways groundbreaking. But I will never understand how it never fails to show up on the ZOMG GREATEST ANIME OF ALL TIME lists. There are so many better.

Haven't watched it in years but all I can remember is some guy running around constantly yelling "TETSURO TETSURO" or some such. And a cool motorcycle. That's it.

20:26 07/01/2017 # ! Drivel (-0.7)

Is not Overrated, is only that you cant see what is in front of you, some people are just too stupid or to ignorant to see the Beauty in some things, is like see a Painting you can see it but if you cant understand It lacks of beauty and Meaning for you, If all you see is some guy running around constantly yelling "TETSURO TETSURO" And a cool motorcycle, Let me tell you something, you're not the smartest person, and is ok we do not all have the same thinking ability, Be happy.

02:17 08/01/2017 # ! Neutral (0)

Well, I also remember some antique refrigerator thing that's supposed to contain the most evil thing in the universe but nobody bothers to guard it.

TETSURO TETSURO

Akira is not overrated. It had incredible impact on the anime industry and it help make anime popular in the west. It may not be perfect, but it doesn't need to be.

07:23 07/01/2017 # ! Neutral (+0.4)

Typical Akira being a number 1, also no Jin-Roh: The Wolf Brigade that's really fucking gay.

04:48 08/01/2017 # ! Neutral (0)

Jin-Roh was definitely good, but in terms of impact on the anime industry it ranks pretty low.

09:23 10/01/2017 # ! Neutral (0)

but this isnt judging impact

Comment by kanbanmusume
    08:49 07/01/2017 # ! Neutral (0)

Jin-Roh is miles better than Akira. Akira keeps showing up because it's the first anime movie most
    people saw when they still bootlegged anime from Japan and had anime clubs in colleges back in the 80's.
    One comedy drama I'd like to see added to the list is Tokyo Godfathers

09:33 07/01/2017 # ! Neutral (0)

Tokyo Godfathers is one of the best christmas movies in general, as in not just among anime. Although among anime it is without a doubt THE BEST christmas movie.

07:07 08/01/2017 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

Akira is only good for its impact on the industry. It's not actually a good movie.

Comment by Tube Worm
    00:52 09/01/2017 # ! Neutral (0)

The list isn't "Greatest Anime Films That had an Impact on the Industry." It's "All Time", so Akira shouldn't had any business being on the Top 10.

Since it's list made by Adult Swim/Toonami people, I'm amazed the Cowboy Bebop or a Gundam movie didn't make the list.

09:25 10/01/2017 # ! Neutral (0)

it didnt even impact the industry, it impacted western importers

Comment by loplop
    05:30 07/01/2017 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

Clancy Kanuka wasn't even in Patlabor 2, only the Patlabor TV series & the first movie . . .

Comment by Sasazuka
    06:09 07/01/2017 # ! Neutral (0)

Y'know, I understand why the second PATLABOR movie is the one that gets praised as an artistic triumph, but I prefer the first PATLABOR film because it's actually somewhat "fun". Although I easily prefer the 2nd OVA series to any of the movies (or the TV series or the first OVA series; as for more recent PATLABOR-related productions, I just haven't seen them).

Most of my list would be series-based films, with URUSEI YATSURA: BEAUTIFUL DREAMER being my top 20th century anime film, and THE DISAPPEARANCE OF HARUHI SUZUMIYA being my top pick for the 21st century. PROJECT A-KO would also be in the top 3, heh.

I think the only film from the list here that I'd also put in mine is TOTORO, although Ghibli would also be represented by KIKI'S DELIVERY SERVICE and WHISPER OF THE HEART. As for Satoshi Kon, I prefer MILLENNIUM ACTRESS to either PAPRIKA or PERFECT BLUE.

I don't think I ever got around to seeing NEO TOKYO.

Comment by loplop
    07:12 08/01/2017 # ! Good (+0.4)

I'm a big fan of 2nd Patlabor movie, I think it's much better than both the other ones. I think Patlabor 2 is much more plot driven and reminds me of Tom Clancy's books that I was reading at the time that I first saw the movie about 10 years ago. Patlabor 2, Paprika and also Macross Plus is what got me into anime unlike many other fans which started with much different shows & movies.

Comment by Sasazuka
    05:36 09/01/2017 # ! Neutral (0)

That was me, I didn't know I was signed out.

05:35 09/01/2017 # ! Neutral (0)

Oh yeah, I didn't say I disliked PATLABOR 2 on its own merits, it's just that it doesn't feel like the rest of (1980s/90s) PATLABOR (most of the major series characters have brief cameos and the Ingrams themselves are barely in it either, and, while PATLABOR was never purely a comedy, PATLABOR 2 is dead serious drama without much of any comic relief, although I do find Gotoh's "I can sing it if you like" line when they're screening the karaoke video to spot the fighter plane hilarious).

It's more like a PATLABOR expanded universe movie than anything else.

Comment by DieHardjagged
    19:47 07/01/2017 # ! Neutral (0)

Oh lol.. when i saw the Topic Pic i first thought it was Satsuki Kiryūin, since she looked so similar to her.
    Whoops!

07:22 08/01/2017 # ! Neutral (0)

The second Patlabor movie is good, but normally Oshii is to much of a downer for me.

Comment by loplop
    12:43 08/01/2017 # ! Neutral (0)

You either love or hate Oshii if you watch any of his productions. Personally, I have to say that the vast majority of his movies to my taste.

14:38 07/01/2017 # ! Neutral (0)

The Wind Rises was a pretty mediocre movie, Hayao Miyazaki's 'last' movie but he got served by Suzuki's Princess Kagaya. It's just that the general population was too stupid to see the brilliance of it.

23:49 07/01/2017 # ! Neutral (0)

So a list of movies compiled by the West and the culture of SJW?

Can't say I'm surprised by any of these...

01:41 08/01/2017 # ! Neutral (0)

Figures it's a trashy Western list. If it was a Japanese list, Laputa would definitely be on there.

08:07 07/01/2017 # ! Neutral (0)

I thought Akira was meh at best.

Then again maybe the ridiculous amount of praise it has received peaked my expectations. Either way its about a waste of time to watch and I wouldn't even bother recommending anyone to watch it. I guess maybe at the time its impressive technically but that's about it, also the art style is butt ugly.

16:00 12/01/2017 # ! Neutral (0)

Castle of Cagliostro where?

Comment by dom01374
    12:52 07/01/2017 # ! Neutral (0)

Kimi no nawa is not on this list wot

10:37 07/01/2017 # ! Neutral (0)

The wind rises? Its the worst movie of miyasaki/ghibli.
    Akira, the movie is right but the manga is a masterpiece

04:00 08/01/2017 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

Totally agree, The Wind rises is boring as hell. Most Miyazaki movies are better than the wind rises

09:21 10/01/2017 # ! Neutral (0)

Typical western list... they judge only those that were popular outside of japan, leaving out many pre 90s classics.

1. GitS
    2. Lupin III Castle of Cagliostro
    3. Paprika
    4. Millennium Actress
    5. Magic Boy (Shōnen Sarutobi Sasuke)
    6. Jin-Roh
    7. Patlabor 2
    8. Lupin III Mystery of Mamo
    9. Metropolis
    10. Grave of the Fireflies

11:03 07/01/2017 # ! Neutral (0)

Well at least thks to god we dont see onepieceofshitt, gayruto or bitch movies in the list.

Seems a legit ranking.

07:49 07/01/2017 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

Seeems not. Nausicaa topped by so many other Ghibli titles is ridiculous.
    It's easy as hell to see the influcences of these tastes and guess the age range of this guy and where he was raised. All but one were animes that premiered in the U.S. during the 90's...

Finally! a sankaku top list without re:zero

23:35 07/01/2017 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

No list has ever been made by Sankaku.

13:33 07/01/2017 # ! Neutral (0)

you mean withuot sao

22:11 07/01/2017 # ! Neutral (0)

You mean without K-on

Hotarubi no Mori e. A pocket masterpiece, but give it a miss if you're a normalfag who REEEEEEEEEs at age gap romance.

"Blah blah bla" was overrated!
    "Blah blah" was much better!

My opinion matters most!

Ninja scroll maybe?

Comment by Blazenwhiper

Perfect blue...Oh you mean that movie about a woman that was an Idol trying to keep it going then starts going crazy after getting raped on a movie set?

Yeah, thats a film that comes to mind when i think of great anime films.
    -End sarcasm.

16:47 07/01/2017 # ! Neutral (+0.4)

First try to understand what you watched, then you can start with the sarcasm.

13:43 07/01/2017 # ! Neutral (+0.4)

wtf thats not what perfect blue is

No.1 anime of all time HENTAI

I haven't seen everything here but I would have included Steins Gate on this list.

wow you people are fucking plebs with literal trash for taste
    "perfect blue was shit"
    "akira was overrated"

also I wouldn't define the late 1980s as "ancient"