shinsuke-shimada-1

The man who composed the opening theme music for One Piece has outraged fans by proclaiming “adults shouldn’t be reading manga” and bragging that he had never even watched One Piece when he wrote the song, freely admitting it doesn’t have anything to do with or fit the series at all.

Shinsuke Shimada, a Kyoto-born comedian, “talent” and composer, is here noted for composing “Kaze wo Sagashite,” the theme music for One Piece:

However, he brazenly admits he “has no interest in manga,” that “I never watched it when I took the job and just did it anyway” and also says “adults shouldn’t be reading manga!”:

He says he showed it to his daughter, a One Piece fan, only to be told it “didn’t fit at all.” Naturally he took no notice and so the show’s latest OP was born.

shinsuke-shimada-2

Shimada is already notorious for a different kind of performance – he became enraged with an agency manager for failing to use the proper honorifics when speaking of company superiors, dragged her into another room and began punching her, pulling her hair, hitting her with objects and spitting on her after she showed insufficient remorse when he began harrying her.

She filed charges and he was later convicted of assault, tearfully admitting his wrongs to the press but stopping short of withdrawing from showbusiness, returning to work after only 2 months.

Somehow his showbusiness career survived the incident and he is evidently still keen on accruing notoriety.

His victim alleges she was forced out of her position after the incident and has had partial success in suing him, winning over $100,000 in damages.

Various allegations of media bias towards him were later made after certain broadcasters refused to identify him by name or to call him a “suspect,” apparently out of deference to his agency connections.

Needless to say, One Piece fans are less than pleased that this character was entrusted with scoring the opening.

Comment by Darkrockslizer
    01:02 03/11/2010 # ! Good (+0.6)

Yet another boy who was beaten by girls in his childhood and wished to become a grownup soon so that he could hit THEM.

Comment by Shippoyasha
    16:19 03/11/2010 # ! Good (+0.4)

Let's just say, I won't miss this particular guy when he's dead.

He strikes me as some overzealous, ultra conservative asshole.

Beating up women? Actually CARING about honorifics? Saying adults can't enjoy a family entertainment medium like manga and anime?

Yeah. He can die tomorrow of a horrible cause and I don't know if I'll care.

06:01 03/11/2010 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

Nothing wrong with hitting girls. Actually it's rather funny....BAM...right in the kisser...

^_^

06:06 03/11/2010 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

bam right into the babymaker

Comment by Oh No xV3GAx
    06:15 03/11/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

So adults arent supposed to read manga... Well lets sayi was 12 when i first started watching it, series like one piece have been going for 10 + Years so id be 22 at this point of time watching/reading the same anime/manga!!!!

05:41 03/11/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

I wish girls would beat me.

22:46 03/11/2010 # ! Neutral (+0.4)

I wish ugly girls would beat you.

22:48 03/11/2010 # ! Neutral (+0.4)

girls can beat me off anytime

Lol. Imagine getting beaten by fat or ugly girls. Still wanna do it? If yes, you probably don't care who or what beats you up anyway.

Comment by Yoshii-kun
    01:54 03/11/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

And adults shouldn't bitch, hit, pull and spit on others because they're "mature" enough to NOT resort to violence, right? =_=

Comment by jamesownsall
    01:59 03/11/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

I suppose you couldn't figure out that he has different definition and interpretation of an 'adult'.

On which, I bet he thinks it means 'having physical authority over others, especially adult men against women'.

04:07 03/11/2010 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

@3:10
    平社印 - (n,abbr) something broad and flat; palm of the hand; common; ordinary; low-ranking employee; freshman; novice; private

07:21 03/11/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

this should be the kind of people equality targets, not the loli drawers

09:35 03/11/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

^ You're correct and people, PLEASE don't feed the troll.

Comment by mordahl
    08:30 03/11/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

anon 4:07.
    Shouldn't it be 平社員?

22:36 03/11/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

@08:30

You're right.

16:10 03/11/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Lol. And here I thought the troll was too obvious.

Comment by Schrobby
    02:21 03/11/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

So the asshole wanted proper honorifics? She should've called him hirashain. lulz

Comment by Yoshii-kun
    02:09 03/11/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

I suppose you couldn't figure out the sarcasm, but I know it's hard.
    Keep trying.

04:29 03/11/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

03:16

You'are completely right and with the same logic as you, I can assure you that you belong to the garbage bin and sewers. Nowhere else is your backward ass of any use.

Comment by vanilka
    05:17 03/11/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

@ anon 03:16

And what are you supposed to be?

I don't have the problem with man being superior to me because I'm quite submissive, I adore and serve my man happily if he's worth it. And if he seriously beat me even once, I would stab him in his sleep...

Or call police and showed them what he did to me because some retarded f*ck is not worth going to jail for. ^^"

What he did is disgusting. Just because of such small and stupid thing. I would understand if she kicked him in the ball all of sudden or something but not this...

03:10 03/11/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

What's hirashain?

03:16 03/11/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Men SHOULD have authority over women. Women's most important purpose is to provide sexual gratification for their husbands and other superiors.

Women belong in the kitchen and in the bed. Nowhere else are they of any use.

@3:16
    What use is there to give false authority to the likes of you? A peasant made king is still a peasant in the way he thinks and acts. Likewise, power given to people who could not earn it by themselves is a power wasted on inferior beings.

If you want authority over people, women or otherwise, you will have to establish it for yourself. Even if you were magically transported into an idealistic patriarchal world, you would still be as powerless as you are now.
    Power comes with progress, progress that you will not gain by hiding behind the internet and crying about how things should be the way you want them.

04:30 03/11/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

shut the f**k up you immature fool you dont know what adult is even if he bit your on your nose, spit or punched you !!! * starts throwing fesses* O.o

06:40 03/11/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Oh stop it, your sense of sarcasm is overwhelming.

01:24 03/11/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Why would you just assume he was beaten by girls?

Comment by BlaqCat
    09:28 03/11/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

All I see is a pompous douchebag who's tantrums are apparently tolerated by the industry at large (kind of like a certain country......)

06:41 04/11/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Darkrockslizer is just trying to describe his own childhood. What a sad loser

Comment by Darkrockslizer
    01:27 03/11/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Okay, by his mom then. [http://paradoxdgn.com/junk/avatars/trollface.jpg]

06:05 03/11/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

@anon 04:02
    You are made of win.

But who the hell takes their work that relaxed to be told that it didn't fit yet kept it?

02:50 05/11/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Is it just me, or have the posts here been 'neutralized' somehow? (-0.2) and (+0.2) are pretty much all you can find, and even they're rare.

Comment by Schrobby
    02:03 03/11/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Doesn't really matter if he was beaten by girls, bitten by cats or bashed by hamsters. He's an asshole, that's for sure.

Comment by Megidola
    02:26 03/11/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

He's the absolute worst kind of person, letting the smallest bit of success go to his head and now considering himself above everyone else.

04:02 03/11/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

if everyone is a troll it doesn't mean anything anymore, anon 3:09.

I'm not a troll. I'm a bot you insensitive clod.

p.s.
    B*uy cheap V|4GR4 only $1.99 online-vgr[dot]cn (replace [dot] with an actual dot).

03:38 03/11/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

03:25

Certainly you troll! We have the concept of 'non-trolls', which are imaginary and only exist in theory.

03:09 03/11/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Lol, worst kind of person? ABSOLUTE WORST? You've got to be kidding me. He's a troll, just like you and me. There are no good, bad, best or worst kinds of people. There are just trolls.

Comment by Heigen
    03:26 03/11/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

I think he is retarded, which makes him worst kind of people.

03:25 03/11/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

if everyone is a troll it doesn't mean anything anymore, anon 3:09.

Comment by nanuchan

I think that adults, kids, teenagers, oldies, cats, dogs, caterpillars, mices, snakes, birds,...

Shoudln't watch One Piece, it's not a matter of age, gender, taxonomy group, it's just that anime is a crap and all of the one who made it are just mentally ill.

ALL OF THEM!!!!

03:12 03/11/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Lol, that sounds like Nobita from Doraemon whose ambition was to be an Emperor among the Kids.

Fuck you asshole and die!

Comment by Rashid Hasbun
    01:31 03/11/2010 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

the point out there is: who fucking cares about what this guy thinks? That not make change in the fact people will keep reading manga and love it. Just butthurt fans will complain about this. The guys is a nice composer but his opinion is not relevant.

I mean, c´mon: Alan moore dont read comics, U2 dont listen their own albums, Miyamoto dont play his own games, Inafune is bashing Japanese media, etc.

10:22 03/11/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

He's NOT a composer.

He's one of the biggest faces of Japanese comedy and hosts a number of shows on television that are quite popular. And as someone who's watched those shows I can tell you a LOT of Japanese people take this asshole seriously when he starts his sermons.

Comment by Tateha
    07:15 03/11/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

fuck you. asshole.

Comment by Ben
    07:17 03/11/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

He doesn't read manga, he's immature in a completely different way!

Comment by Dia
    07:40 03/11/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

The singer in that video must be really fat to be forced to wear that shirt.

I don't know why you'd assume that the OP song is made with the anime in mind. I haven't thought that since I read a story about how Kajiura composes music for anime.

07:13 03/11/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

He's funny though - if anyone here has actually been watching Jtv for 10+ years

09:32 03/11/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

"Kaze o sagashite" -- that was the theme before the current one, right?

If so, it definitely was out of place. And now we know why.

09:41 03/11/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

AGREE

that opening sucked anyways so who cares about him =)

Comment by Shuubi
    10:09 03/11/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Wow this man is a sack of dicks.

I've lived in Japan, and I met a ton of adults there who enjoyed One Piece (at one point, an entire group of mothers). Not to mention how popular it was with the university students, of both ages.

I hope he gets cancer in his ass for the other crap he's done.