Japanese asked what it is they would most like to do on a first date yield a list of activities likely to please the budget-concious.
1. Go for a drive (2968)
2. Watch a movie (2588)
3. Appreciate a night view together (1374)
4. Have tea at a cafe (1359)
5. Dine at a bar [izakaya] (1245)
6. Relax at home (837)
7. Shopping (689)
8. Play sports together (286)
9. Karaoke (240)
10. Fine dining at a restaurant (146)
The lack of car ownership amongst younger Japanese may yet prove a problem – though otherwise the activities selected seem surprisingly modest.
As to how to actually ensure that the date goes well – see the earlier ranking.