New Dragonball Z HD Version To Air; New Sound & Vocals

son-goku

Classic martial-arts shonen series Dragonball Z will be receiving a extensively remastered HD re-broadcast this April. The rebroadcast will include newly recorded dialog by the original seiyuu, new sound effects, new OP/ED sequences, and a brand new HD video transfer.

That this re-broadcast is airing on the 20th anniversary of the original broadcast shows the impressive longevity of the franchise, and should be a big comfort for most Dragonball fans who would rather see the original instead of the notorious upcoming Hollywood adaptation.

The magazine scan pictured below is the main source of information for the new remastered version:

new_dragonball_z_remastered_hd_version

The key points read as follows:

1. The action in the new version is getting an upgrade!

With newly remastered video in beautiful HD, the DB world will be brought to the screen with intensity never seen before!!

2. Completely changed OP and ED !!

The OP and ED songs, along with the animation will be getting a “renewal”!
The original series’ sound effects have also been newly recorded, allowing for a brand new outlook into the (DB) world!!

3. The wonderful original seiyuu troop has been gathered back together!!

The original seiyuu cast have been assembled once more to lay down new recordings of their splendid performances, including Son Goku’s Masako Nozawa!!

The rebroadcast is scheduled for a April 5th start on Fuji TV at 09:00.

Details beyond what is given above are not available yet, and answers to questions such as exactly how much of the original seiyuu recordings are being replaced, whether or not the new OP / ED are new recordings of the original songs and so forth are still unknown.

The official Toei Dragonball Z website will likely be a source of new information on the remastered version.

Via Itai News.

Comment by wah
    00:37 08/02/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

I should watch some of this when I get to Japan, then stop when I realize how homoerotic it is :|

Comment by fish
    00:33 08/02/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

What about the music?
    Toonanmi Version had the spiffy rock tracks. But Jp version had some really old trumpets and horns. I prefer Toonanmi version without a doubt.

07:09 08/02/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

You mean the dubbed version, Toonami version sounds gay

Comment by metatron
    00:18 08/02/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Anime >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Hollywood raep'd version

Comment by ghostlightning
    22:53 07/02/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

THIS IS TRUE. I WENT TO TOEI ANIMATION (PHILIPPINES YESTERDAY) AND I HAVE UNDENIABLE EVIDENCE [http://ghostlightning.wordpress.com/2009/02/07/dbz-in-hd/http://ghostlightning.wordpress.com/2009/02/07/dbz-in-hd/].

Comment by Blackstar
    23:38 07/02/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

LOL but well At least i will look forward to this rather then "Haruhi season 2"

04:51 08/02/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Hmm, I got excited at first but forgot that this is one of the only anime that's better dubbed
    Well I've been meaning to watch it all the way through in Japanese so why not

Comment by D1ZZL3
    10:48 22/05/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

i was very disappointed with the live action, and would have rather they stuck to the storyline. it's very upsetting to think a great director as John Woo to take a project like this on and foul the whole thing. he's a legend in the kung fu movie world, learning and working beside Bruce Lee in the past and give us this movie, i expected better much better.

Comment by venezolano
    10:30 06/04/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

i have to agree with the american (from USA) guy, im from venezuela, many comments from people i know (uber fans )said the same thing, including me, why is goku american in the movie??as for sheng long,ive been told hes white..

So for an anime series that has been broadcasted over 10 years,come on!!!goku american??

10:22 10/10/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

I've been watching Dragonball and DBZ since they first started airing when I was very little, I was disapointed with the live action movie, but it was to be expected(like the Resident Evil films). Maybe the sequal will be better, who knows?... and for those who say Goku shouldn't be played by an american- Goku came from another planet, not earth... so who knows what ethnicity he was, but they obviously wanted an american to play him. and to be honest 85% of the characters in the dragonball/Z world look american anyways.

Comment by ZodiacSquire
    18:13 12/02/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Hmm...forgive me for being ignorant, but are the season dvds that have been coming out recently in HD or are they simply uncut? I have the first six seasons (and a few of the double feature movies) and I must say that they are of high quality. Then again, they're not perfect. It's hard not to notice the "cancer spot" that appears on Gohan's dinosaur friend during the end credits.

Anyways, I doubt I would watch this re-broadcast. I live in America (which I must say is quite the epic fail) and I doubt that there could be that much of a difference in this new airing. If I find out that there is, I suppose I'd use the good old internets to check out the new stuff.

Comment by Riot Gear
    00:03 09/02/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

it's been years.Anyway,America had first collected DBZ episodes on VHS/DVD formats and Japan versions came later in case you don't know and when they gonna release new DBZ special that's shown on official SJ website last year?I think this much better news than live action DB movie.

Comment by Techeese
    17:24 07/02/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

DBZ It’s power level is over 9000!!! now in HD

Comment by Marine-RX179
    17:03 07/02/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

I have read all of the Dragonball manga, but never did manage to see all episodes of the anime. Even though I would already know the story, it would be nice to see the anime, especially when they are remastering the animation too.

I'm actually looking forward to this, considering I already given up on Bleach, since even the manga is a drag fest. Bleach was cool at one point, but now I would dare say it going downhill even further than Dragonball did.

16:57 07/02/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

wow you are fags

Comment by Geerie
    02:43 08/02/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

say anon lol.

Comment by Black King Vegeta
    17:27 07/02/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

The original seiyuu cast have been assembled once more ............, including Son Goku’s Masako Nozawa!!

Erm, isn't the seiyuu for Tenshinhan dead¿ Oh, and it also says that the number of episodes will be shorter, unnecessary fillers will be removed. \m/
    Now my "kids" can start wrecking their lives as Golgo 13 and Jojo no Kimyo na Boken did for mine.

Now if only Gatchaman would get such an upgrade, instead of the promised movie that doesn't seem to be getting anywhere.

19:25 07/02/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

The seiyuu for Kame-sennin's dead

Comment by Vejita
    18:36 07/02/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Tenshinhan is getting a new seiyuu.

Comment by Guest
    18:10 07/02/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

I used to hate that it takes them 1 to 2 episodes just to charge their power up -.-

Comment by Marine-RX179
    23:31 07/02/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

They dragged on the powering-up because Dragonball was facing the same shounen title dilemma of 'get close to catching up with the manga', like Bleach and Naruto.

But of course, back then they did have 'bright idea' of 'doing over 120 filler episodes' and 'self-made arc that are inserted into middle of another ongoing arc'.

I rather watch remake of Dragonball than keep watching Bleach, which got nowhere else to go but down.

Comment by ZippyDSMlee
    01:01 08/02/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

I liked the first couple of bleach fillers now its starting to get Naruto dumb... and naruto had the worst fillers of late...

Comment by Marine-RX179
    23:33 07/02/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

I mean *they didn't have
    damn typo...

Comment by Catgirl Lover
    18:12 07/02/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

More like 3-5. Remember how many eps it was for 5 minutes to pass when Freiza tried to blow up Namek? That was a good 3 or 4.

22:28 07/02/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

he announced the 5 minute mark at the end of 97 and it exploded during 106. almost 9 eps

Comment by Catgirl Lover
    03:30 08/02/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Wow, I was more off than I thought.... Might've missed a few eps here and there, who can tell?

Comment by Anim3Fr33K
    16:54 07/02/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Umm isnt this just the HD remasters that have been coming out on DVD? the rock, and has had the original jpn script properly dubbed to it as well as original JPN sound track in 5.1 and original OP/Ed restored. And for those who think this will look shit in HD, it dosent. It is a master piece, you can see how much effort went into making this series, i know you all think zomg repeat animation, but when you see it in 1080p, watch the dust clouds an the scenery, repeat animation they are not, hand drawn they are and masterfully done as well. Its also nice they finally dubbed the cut eps, so its the FULL series now. And as i said earlier they re translated the script, its no longer childrens edit, the blood is restored the language is restored, master roshi feals up bulma and is restored to being a proper letch and not just a mag reader. All in all it makes DBZ much better than the original TV broadcasts, and they got all the old win english vas back together to do it as well, so the dub is much win.

Just to note i own the first 5 seasons (to start of cell games) in HD on the new dvds they have been putting out so i know what im ranting about.

TL;DR, it really is OVER 9000!!!

Comment by Quen
    23:45 07/02/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Regarding past DBZ HD remasters, there have been upgraded versions of DBZ released before, but this is a new remastering.

Perhaps I should've made that a bit clearer, as I can see where it might confuse some.

Comment by HELL
    18:01 07/02/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

This is not related to the american crap shat by Funimation as remastered DVDs.

And lol at some 576p DVDs being HD

Comment by killing you
    01:29 16/08/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

hey am going to kick your forin ass you fucking shit eat fagget so fuckin stop comin on here and talkin to pepole with your shit just go die

Comment by KajunBowser
    18:12 07/02/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Not crap if that's all they had to work with. Toei totally shafted Funi on this one.

Comment by Anim3Fr33K
    18:52 07/02/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

The DBZ HD remasters are proper HD, funi has the original film reals, not shit crap. And yes i know its not related as i said in my 2nd comment lol i realized after my rant, but theres no edit button.

Comment by Anim3Fr33K
    16:56 07/02/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

And iv just realized this is regards a JPN airing of it, man i feal like an idiot lol. But DBZ 1080p is epic win. Still i recommend any fan check out the DVDs that have been coming out, so much win.

16:25 07/02/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Well, this is certainly interesting.
    I never saw this one coming..
    Though it is nice that a classic will be upgraded / re-mastered to HD.
    Would be nice if more "classics" were to undergo HD remastering too.
    I love those old shows, but they just don't look good (frighteningly ugly) on an HD display.

Comment by weee
    16:32 07/02/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

let's just hope they do actually "remaster" it and not butcher it.

It's power level is over 9000!!!

Comment by xbow
    16:23 07/02/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

I doubt they'll make any significant improvements in this.

16:31 07/02/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

they can simply add moar powa levelz

18:07 07/02/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Like Over 9000?

01:06 08/02/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

I hope they put it in the live-action, that might save the movie

22:25 07/02/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

it's over 8000 in the japanese original

19:11 07/02/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

and become over 90000

16:20 07/02/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Screw this, I'd rather see that American live action.

Comment by doooom
    01:10 09/02/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

the fuck si fducking wrong with u man i mean fuck right off there live action thats fuckign shit i mean thats just fucking with a cl;assic dbz is one of thoses things u just dont touch i mena coem on ..u have less then no right to even think abouyt calling urself a dbz fan

Comment by Kyo
    15:52 09/02/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Troll detected!

Comment by HELL
    17:59 07/02/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

FUCK YOU

I mean FUCK YOU

You dirty american pig

FUCK YOU

Comment by me
    12:34 08/06/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

FUCK U HELL u peace of SHIT

Comment by killing you
    01:25 16/08/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

hey fuck head dont talk to pepole like that its just not nice dbz is the grates show in the world so go suck a big green cock and than eat shit out of your own fathers ass hole bitch

Comment by killing you
    01:27 16/08/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

fag

Comment by lawl@you
    18:11 07/02/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

I'm an American and I don't want to see the live-action. Who even says the guy is American? I know people from other countries who DO want to see the live-action. Why is beyond me. Anyway, if anything, you just disgraced the rest of the world by being ignorant. You should at least announce where you're from so then I can just call your country ignorant. You sir, fail.

Mmm. I'll check out the new OP/ED, but I can't see watching it all over again since I doubt they'll be any major differences.

23:36 08/02/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

I'm a human and I don't want to watch the live action.

Comment by Xavi
    19:38 07/02/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

So, because he insulted your country you will get to his level and insult back a whole nation? Way to go Mr. Mature!

You started it well but in the end you fail as much as the troll.

19:24 07/02/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

so easy...

Comment by Vejita
    18:34 07/02/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Obvious troll is obvious.

19:10 07/02/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Hah.. Just watch your shitty life action you fag!!