Lupin vs Conan – Crossover TV Special Due

lupin_conan_crossover

A leaked photo (shown below) from the upcoming Weekly Shounen Sunday manga anthology magazine apparently reveals an announcement of a crossover TV special featuring Lupin (Lupin the 3rd) and Conan (Detective Conan).

untitled

Details of the project, including the plot, are still forthcoming, but the TV special is practically guaranteed to air on the Yomiuri TV and Nippon Television stations, where Conan continues its nearly 13 year run (currently up to episode 521).

A crossover story of the legendary gentlemen thief and the young detective would seem to make enough sense, but fans likely already know that this sort of crossover is not entirely new – Conan and his friend/love interest/foster mom Ran made a quick cameo in the recent Lupin OVA, Lupin III: Green vs Red.

Comment by Captain Snow
    18:01 26/01/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Holy shit this is awesome

Comment by SinSnakeZ
    19:27 26/01/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Instead of Conan it should be Lupin vs Kid....
    Legendary Thief vs Legendary Thief, Magician vs Gentleman Thief... That will be a showdown not o be missed... Am I right, fellas?

Comment by linkinstreet
    02:14 27/01/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

you're right. But then again Kid already DID have a manga of his own before Conan came and if anything he's just making a cameo in Conan.

Comment by SinSnakeZ
    09:18 27/01/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Still having Conan against Lupin is a little unfair with Interpol Inspector Zenigata already following his trail...
    cameo or not, Kid has already became a part of the Conan series and I hope he shows up in this TV special along with his own Inspector Nakamori...
    I just wish Lupin is not Kid in diguise coz that will make me assume my facepalm stance...

Comment by metatron
    15:49 26/01/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

This looks awesome!

Comment by retsnom
    10:47 27/01/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Lupin made a cameo in one of the recent Conan movie, too, so this isn't entirely surprising. Still, I'm excited as I love both Lupin and Conan.

Comment by Ryoga
    09:43 29/01/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Official website of the Lupin vs Conan Special:

Note the pictures in each soda can featuring characters from both franchises.

17:31 27/01/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

I'd like to see a real crossover, meaning one using the old body switch cliche -- Lupin in Conan's body, Conan in Lupin's. I'd love to watch each character struggling to play the other's part well enough to convince their respective associates.

Comment by Krunk
    19:21 28/01/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

I think I found it:

They appear to be in the lower left hand corner.

Not exactly sure who Ran is locking arms with. I thought it could be her father Mouri Kogorou, but his hair's a bit too light. Conan's hiding in front of his right leg.

Comment by Quen
    16:04 04/02/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Thank you!

04:15 26/01/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

This is the story, they're both good guys, so they work together to both, solve a case and steal something. Everybody is happy.

Comment by linkinstreet
    05:22 26/01/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

depends. Remember that Conan's adversary in the series is Kid the Phantom thief, who is just like Lupin III

Comment by Ryoga
    04:32 26/01/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Conan is a detective after all, so chances are there may be a case that involves Lupin and in which Conan's Detective skills are needed at best as opposed to Zenigata's. Conan and Lupin then engage in a battle of wits.

Comment by maxchain
    03:59 26/01/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Let's hope this makes more sense than... well, I won't spoil it, but Green vs. Red was pretty ridiculous in what its ambitions were for the Lupin III continuity.

(I'll have to watch it again for that cameo, though. Maybe some Detective Conan, too. Had no idea that was even still going.)

Comment by Krunk
    19:10 28/01/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

I was just going to ask. I finished watching Green vs Red (don't ask how confused I am - given the fact this is the first Lupin III I've ever seen), but I didn't catch the cameo either.

Does anyone know around where they appear?

Comment by Krunk
    19:37 28/01/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Found it, it appears about 2 minutes into the movie right before he returns the wallet to the guy.

I took a screenshot and uploaded it. See my comment below.

04:33 26/01/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Right, I didn't spot the cameo, too... Where is it?

Comment by Quen
    06:25 26/01/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

It's a flash-frame sort of cameo, easy to miss if you're not looking...I would show a screencap (or even put it into the post), but I'm having trouble finding one.

Comment by Chen
    03:56 26/01/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

So what is it going to be? Is Conan hunting Lupin? That would hardly make any sense, 'cause no one could win. Fanbase for both and stuff. So, how about a treasure hunt? But once again. No one could win, because both are quite popular.

I assume it will simply be all random, with lots of action and no winner at all. Like the episodes with Kaitou Kid (from Meitantei Conan). But i'm going to watch it either way. I like Conan after all and I don't completely hate Lupin.

12:26 05/09/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

It is obvious that Conan and Lupin will be working together to catch a different thief.

Comment by Malek86
    05:00 26/01/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

I can see how this is going to work out: Conan and Lupin will "race" for this treasure. Lupin will make a contrived plan with which he will deceive Zenigata. Conan will ultimately see through it and manage to catch Lupin - therefore claiming his share of victory. However, Lupin will escape with the treasure (maybe with some help by his mates, after all has Conan ever seen a sword which can cut anything?), so he will have his share of victory as well. Fujiko will probably run away with the treasure at the end, or maybe it will be empty or just inexistant, so that neither of them gets it.

In the end, the status quo is restored, nobody won or lost, and all is right with the world.

11:20 26/01/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Conan better be abusing Konnyaku in a very original way...

Comment by Artefact

Can't we just have a story where one guns down the other and steals his franchise?

Comment by Malek86
    16:28 26/01/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

That better be Lupin gunning down Conan, then.

Comment by Icy-nee-san
    03:48 26/01/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Conan, more filler than Naruto :P

Comment by minakichan
    13:05 26/01/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Er, no, it's an episodic series. That's apples and oranges; Naruto has plot arcs and filler arcs, while Conan is a long string of single incidents with some plot points sprinkled in.

You can't really call it "filler" if it's not "filling" anything in.

Comment by WondrousWizard
    03:55 26/01/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

That's what happen when you don't double check the way the manga is going and how the anime can follow it without catching up. One Piece is the mainstream who is the best one when it's come to filler. They put only few filler between each adventure just to give 3-4 more manga chapter the time to comes out. Ketekyo Hitman Reborn is like that too... they put like 2 fillers episode in the story to extend the gap between the manga and the anime. It's something that Conan, Naruto and even Bleach seem to not understand.

Comment by Kibate
    11:55 26/01/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

you forgot that onepiece(don't know about reborn) extend one chapter to one episode(usually its around 2chapters=1episode) while naruto does not and therefore needs more filler to fill in the gap. Bleach however is indeed the worst, not because of the filler, but because they spend half of the episode of retelling previous episodes.

Comment by NitWit005
    04:08 26/01/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Of course, they could just hire "writers" and make filler that isn't crap...

Comment by orz
    13:22 26/01/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

....

people still watch conan..?

Comment by Zero
    08:29 01/02/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

I indeed still watch Conan even while reading it. But agree there are LOTS of fillers in Conan and a lot of them are so dumb they piss me off, and some good ones still havent been subbed and for some reason purposely skipped while subbing even though they are part of the manga.

The only difference as why Conan has an excuse is because they are just "cases" they could have happened in between them, and they aren't a giant arc. Still I dislike lots of anime original episodes in Conan. And the order of anime episodes and manga chapters are totally messed up beyond repair.

Comment by iapfah
    07:46 26/01/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

haha

wishful thinking

Comment by yuuji
    03:56 26/01/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

amazing that conan is still going after 13 years o.O

legendary thief vs legendary detective looks to be cool =p

Comment by Krunk
    09:05 26/01/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

But Kaitou Kid is already the legendary thief!

After reading this I decided to go check out Lupin III: Green vs Red. I didn't realize Conan and Ran had a cameo in it.

Comment by zonic505
    09:51 26/01/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

So LUPIN'S the one who had the cure all this time!

But seriously, this looks awesome. Can't wait until it comes out & someone subs it.

07:00 26/01/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

How the hell is Conan still going on. He must not be as good of a detective as people claim if he still can't find a damn cure for being a kid.

14:59 26/01/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

He is a detective not a fucking scientist. 2 different things.