Top 10 Karaoke Songs Japanese Youth Love

hatsune_miku quite frilled

A Japanese newspaper’s ranking of the top karaoke tunes most loved by Japanese under-20s has proven so dominated by Vocaloid and anison classics and so bereft of mass-manufactured idol groups that some have begun to wonder whether there is hope for Japanese music yet – or indeed if Japanese music and its music industry are now two entirely different entities…

The ranking:

1. Senbonzakura (WhiteFlame feat. Hatsune Miku)

2. Memeshikute (Golden Bomber)

3. Brain Fluid Explosion girl (Rerulili feat. Hatsune Miku & Gumi)

4. Rokuchounen to Ichiya Monogatari (Kemu)

5. Zankoku Na Tenshi No These (Yoko Takahashi)

6. Amanojaku (164 feat.GUMI)

7. Kagerou Days (Jin feat. Hatsune Miku)

8. ii aru Fan Club (MikitoP Feat. Gumi & Rin)

9. only my railgun (fripSide)

10. Matryoshka (Hachi feat. Hatsune Miku & Miku)

16:03 13/06/2013 # ! Good (+0.8)

As expected of #1.
    Nice to see "only my railgun" in the list.

18:05 13/06/2013 # ! Quality (+1.0)

I'd like to see anyone sing the 3rd song in karaoke...

17:35 22/06/2013 # ! Neutral (0)

This may be the proper way to do it: /watch?v=vwAAtQQKCAk

01:57 15/06/2013 # ! Neutral (0)

96neko's version- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7vNhYPhaRVc

01:17 04/07/2013 # ! Neutral (0)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xqWFnrM-kb4&list=PLcEOec8GRJaugHm0GkAyso_wxCffg5MM5 [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xqWFnrM-kb4&list=PLcEOec8GRJaugHm0GkAyso_wxCffg5MM5]

i'm sure this is what most people sound like when they try to karaoke this song

21:35 15/06/2013 # ! Neutral (0)

That was autotuned like hell. I want live.

00:36 17/06/2013 # ! Neutral (0)

If only my own country's karaoke place can have those song in their playlist

14:28 15/06/2013 # ! Neutral (0)

May'n version http://youtu.be/VYZ5yA1ML9Y

F-ing sankaku moving my comment

19:21 13/06/2013 # ! Neutral (0)

Wonder if that mikoto cosplayer is really a girl.

21:09 13/06/2013 # ! Neutral (0)

It would turn you on if she wasn't, I'm guessing?

Comment by Cabulb
    01:07 14/06/2013 # ! Good (+0.4)

Vocaloid is the future.

Comment by fxc2
    08:54 14/06/2013 # ! Neutral (0)

Nope. Just guessing it was another online query which got sabotaged by 2ch.

17:26 14/06/2013 # ! Neutral (0)

Data is pulled out of Joysound's streaming network. There is no voting involved. Now, perhaps thousands of 2ch members are flooding Karaoke Boxes across Japan in an effort to stack the numbers in favor of Vocaloid songs. I wouldn't put it past them to try something like that.

17:48 13/06/2013 # ! Neutral (+0.4)

miku!! number one!! yay =D

19:04 13/06/2013 # ! Neutral (+0.4)

oh yeah kagerou days good another good reason to do after karaoke tragic sex

03:04 14/06/2013 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

Miku for number one

Comment by SierraM363
    01:03 14/06/2013 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

Yey Gumi! I approve of this list.

21:24 13/06/2013 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

you're kidding,right?Seems to me songs that Japanese otaku love.If you're living in a different Japanese prefecture/s,the list doesn't seem to agree.

04:19 14/06/2013 # ! Neutral (0)

Yeah you sure know more about Japanese teens more then themselves because you are a true hardcore weaboo, right? (roll eyes)

22:59 18/06/2013 # ! Neutral (0)

Is it just me or is this stuff just overproduced crap? I guess 13yr olds go for this type of music.

21:27 17/06/2013 # ! Neutral (0)

AH YIKES!
    Am I weird for not liking any of the above?

I go for supercell, Maaya Sakamoto, KOKIA, Chiaki Ishikawa, Kalafina - backed up by Yoko Kanno, Yuki Kajiura, Hiroyuki Sawano, Taku Iwasaki and ryo on Composition.

No wonder people say I have "unique" tastes...

05:37 14/06/2013 # ! Neutral (0)

This is the under-20 ranking at Joy Sound for April 2013.

Newspaper was the Nikkei Shimbun.
    cap at http://file.pinoko.jp/miku_pic201303/nikkei20130506_03.jpg

04:54 14/06/2013 # ! Neutral (0)

But, in my country, they doesnt have senbonzakura on the list .__. *sobs

07:31 14/06/2013 # ! Neutral (0)

how the hell do you sing matryoshka in karaoke??? that song is freaking impossible to even sing along!!

also, they targeted vocaloid fans or something, because as much as i hate to say this, akb48 songs are very popular in karaoke, and it's weird not to see any popping up here...

10:58 14/06/2013 # ! Neutral (0)

AkB is popular with virgin otakus in their 30's, this is a list of what's popular with the TEENS

And even I can sing Matryotryoshka, sucka!!

12:10 14/06/2013 # ! Neutral (0)

but not spell it, apparently.

akb48 is also popular with female teens who dream of being like them (insert joke here), believe it or not.

07:49 14/06/2013 # ! Neutral (0)

CRUEL ANGEL! LOVE THIS LIST!

07:38 14/06/2013 # ! Neutral (0)

Isn't a lack of "mass-manufactured idol groups" a good thing?

09:25 14/06/2013 # ! Neutral (0)

Not just good... its GREAT!!!
    Vocaloid is overated? Maybe. But AKB its yet even more overated and thats for sure.
    Good to see different songs in this top10, even if some are a little retro.

14:30 15/06/2013 # ! Neutral (0)

As opposed to 'real bands' that can't carry a tune or the piles of hip-hip we have in the US?

14:27 15/06/2013 # ! Neutral (0)

And May'n does it so much better: http://youtu.be/VYZ5yA1ML9Y

13:04 15/06/2013 # ! Neutral (0)

lol, some ppl are so close minded that they can't not see the true potential of vocaloid, making vocalizations a tool for everyone and not just for the gifted, its my biggest dream to come true, i have big hopes on Japanese teenagers =D

18:56 16/06/2013 # ! Neutral (0)

Hmm... The list is quite different from the top lists I've seen in karaoke boxes in Japan. Zankoku na tenshi no teze has been in the top 10 for many years, but some other more or less obvious songs are missing. For example Lion from Macross F not being in the list really surprises me.

23:42 14/06/2013 # ! Neutral (0)

sister's noise is definitely good

Comment by Crowbar
    14:20 15/06/2013 # ! Neutral (0)

What the fuck did I just watch?

23:14 14/06/2013 # ! Neutral (0)

lol is it even surprising? i mean some of the best song are sang by vocaloids and the other only good ones are those comiket circles producing some top notch jpop/jrock.

16:07 14/06/2013 # ! Neutral (0)

Idol industry is the music industry? People actually buy idol songs for the quality of their music? I thought idols just sing because it goes with being an idol.

Pretty -> Idol -> Sing
    is a completely different path from
    Sing -> Idol -> Pretty(sometimes)

19:02 13/06/2013 # ! Neutral (0)

Request: kindly substitute the vid you use of 'Only my railgun' (#9) with [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rqx8tAdID9w,]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rqx8tAdID9w, it's the better one

01:04 14/06/2013 # ! Neutral (0)

Wow. Because the rankings of Brain Fluid Explosion Girl are so relevant on this side of the world. Great job Artefact, I'm sure the Enquirer would be most pleased.

Comment by Shuubi
    18:51 13/06/2013 # ! Neutral (0)

These songs are all really, REALLY fun to sing at Karaoke, especially in a group. - whenever I go with friends (once a month or once every two months) at least one of these will be sung each time. Also, when walking out you can kind of hear what people are singing in other rooms and without fail someone will be belting out 'Memeshikute'.

Vocaloid even has its own sub-section in the 'genre' listing of most karaoke places now, and they have a pretty generous selection although some of my favourites are still not there.

I'm kind of surprised Kyary Pamyu Pamyu isnt on here though, her songs are always fun too.

16:16 13/06/2013 # ! Neutral (0)

well i'm in japan and ill tell you one thing....your way off!

15:54 13/06/2013 # ! Neutral (0)

Just a small correction:

Kagerou Days is now officially called Kagerou Daze, the composer himself said so. And he is Jin (Shizen no TekiP) or じん (自然の敵P), not Shin.

20:20 13/06/2013 # ! Neutral (0)

Well, if young people don't name AKB48 as their favorite karaoke songs, so be it. It's not mandatory to like stuff...
    Personally, I don't know most of these top 10 songs (and I wouldn't know AKB songs either)... because I don't listen to the vocaloid genre (I've heard good songs, but I still prefer a real voice over that "distorted robot sound". And yes, I know that vocaloids are based on real women's voices, doesn't change how it sounds... robotic, warped).

Erm... so, I can't really say much about the top 10, but it's what the interviewed people like, not MY favorites^^

22:25 13/06/2013 # ! Neutral (+0.4)

Vocaloid = distorted robot sound.

Not always...

14:56 14/06/2013 # ! Neutral (0)

Still sounds mechanical to me.

Comment by Crowbar
    14:18 15/06/2013 # ! Neutral (0)

@17:19 I don't need preconception to recognise that blatantly artificial vibrato, the unnatural pitch shift in the harmonics, the ... oh why shall one bother. Go listen to your 128-kbps, "high-quality" MP3s, or drill your ears out with a rusty auger.

17:19 14/06/2013 # ! Neutral (0)

Perhaps because you already have a preconception knowing it's a Vocaloid singing that you will automatically notice the "mechanical" qualities of the voice. Most people, in passing, wouldn't notice anything different unless they paid careful attention. Some people, however, are very sensitive and critical of human singing voices and it's next to impossible to tune a Vocaloid to pass their scrutiny.

Anyway, another example of an expertly tuned Vocaloid.

23:22 13/06/2013 # ! Neutral (0)

Distorted robot voice is just an effect, vocaloid can do normal voices, it is just that many like using the distorted effect.

Comment by Crowbar
    14:19 15/06/2013 # ! Neutral (0)

You mean, like Autotune?

18:29 13/06/2013 # ! Neutral (0)

i can attest to senbonzakura and memeshikute. the latter being fun

17:01 13/06/2013 # ! Neutral (0)

My waifu's anime opening is on the list, im ok with that :)

Misaka<3