tox-2-unveiled-002.jpg
tox-2-unveiled-001.jpg

The initial delight of Tales fans at the announcement of Tales of Xillia 2 soon turned to ridicule and disappointment at the “shabby” battle system the game depends on.

Although still a “mothership” title, the game picks up from the events of Tales of Xillia a year on, rather than introduct an entirely new setting as Tales titles generally do.

The game’s Japanese release is due winter, 2012, and as might be expected is due to be a PS3 exclusive for the foreseeable future.

Details of the game are so far limited to the stage announcement:

tox-2-unveiled-003.jpg
tox-2-unveiled-029.jpg
tox-2-unveiled-030.jpg
tox-2-unveiled-031.jpg
tox-2-unveiled-032.jpg
tox-2-unveiled-033.jpg

The game in action:

However, when it came to the ridiculously named XDR-LMBS (“cross double raid linear motion battle system”) battle system, shown in the accompanying video, fans were distinctly unimpressed and soon began mercilessly ridiculing the awful graphics on display:

“Was this a PSP title or something?”

“This looks shabby!”

“What’s the point of guns at that range.”

“A shotgun might be a better choice.”

“At that range he could just hit it with them.”

“The graphics are seriously atrocious, although it is still under development I suppose.”

“If you’re going to put it out on the PS3, at least use the hardware properly.”

“Why are PS3 games getting worse as time progresses?”

“Pathetic… perhaps they developed it for the Vita and then ported it over at the last minute when the Vita flopped?”

“Maybe they want to port it to the 3DS?”

“This wouldn’t pass muster on the 3DS.”

“It would not be out of place on the PS2.”

“The motion is atrocious.”

“This looks worse than TOS…”

“Why are there guns in my Tales? This is not DMC.”

“Tales combat always looks rubbish though? It’s just as bad as TOX. Why bash it?”

“The fact they are making no progress is going to get them bashed.”

“I think the effects just mask how bad it looks. It’s really just the same as TOX.”

“Look at Tales of Graces f though:”

“Just don’t show this at E3, Bandai…”

“Well, Japan’s latest ‘JRPG’ is certainly something we can take pride in!”

19:59 03/06/2012 # ! Good (+0.8)

despite the graphics looking somewhat lackluster (hopefully this will improve though), dat loli puts this game WAAYYY over the top for me.

Comment by Joshi Chugakusei
    20:04 03/06/2012 # ! Good (+0.7)

Agreed!. Even the tagline is sexy: "Are you ready to destroy the world for the girl?"

20:05 03/06/2012 # ! Quality (+1.0)

I would do anything, kill anyone, if a cute loli asked me to.

02:00 04/06/2012 # ! Neutral (+0.4)

01:29 is a bitter oldsexual. how unfortunate.

04:04 04/06/2012 # ! Neutral (0)

That didn't work out recently for Jaqen H'ghar though. :P

Even yourself?

01:29 04/06/2012 # ! Drivel (-0.8)

yes, please kill yourself first before killing anyone else. Very appreciated

Comment by cats2
    07:35 04/06/2012 # ! Good (+0.4)

It was kind of funny to see a few hentai artists tweeting "Well, going to have to do a loli Tales book next!" in regards to this reveal, lol..

02:02 04/06/2012 # ! Neutral (0)

Dat loli x 10000
    omg she's gonna be starring in so many doujinz

10:21 04/06/2012 # ! Neutral (0)

like your dick

00:13 04/06/2012 # ! Neutral (0)

I don't know. Honestly I kind of miss the hotness of Milla, but I guess having something to protect can lead to interesting choice scenarios.

05:36 04/06/2012 # ! Neutral (0)

man..it's still in development it's to early to complain

Comment by DieHardjagged
    19:22 03/06/2012 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

I - as for one - have the opinion that Games dont need AAA Realistic Graphics to be good - cause, whats the purpose when the graphics look so incredible good - but the Game itself is pretty boring, cause the Storyline or whatelse just wasnt good enough?
    Didnt people learn from GODHAND on the PS2, that a Game doesnt need awesoem Graphics to be Awesome?
    Why did everyone turn into a Graphic Whore?
    I may be the only one with this opinion - but i never changed my view on Games since... ever
    Cheers

22:00 03/06/2012 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

Isn't the first time a Tales of features a adult main protagonist, plus a loli?
    That's fucking awesome.

02:59 04/06/2012 # ! Neutral (0)

Eerr... How about Veigue Lungberg or Stahn Aileron?

01:19 04/06/2012 # ! Neutral (0)

Nope, Yuri Lowell was/is the first adult main protagonist at age 21, age 22 in the PS3 version if you see a certain skit.

15:43 03/06/2012 # ! Neutral (0)

Nothing much to say except seeing it having a loli main heroine puts a smile on my face..

Comment by kamiru
    21:06 03/06/2012 # ! Neutral (0)

dont forget the fine cat

05:51 04/06/2012 # ! Neutral (0)

A cat is fine, too.

03:42 04/06/2012 # ! Neutral (0)

The graphics are dated and the combat system is rather old-school. Did they dust off an old project and release it or just dust off so old programmers to make it?

04:00 04/06/2012 # ! Neutral (0)

You Know what they have to do...
    Take the Open world and scale of Xillia + The Battle/Synthesizing system from Graces F + A Story as good as Symphonia + Likable characters on par with Vesperia's and put all of it into one game.

This would make the perfect tales game

Comment by Castian
    04:53 04/06/2012 # ! Neutral (0)

Friends,a couple of Questions;
    1st-Tales of Xilia was ever translated and released in NA?

2nd-Is it still multiplayer battles?
    Thanks.

On a side note, Xilia 2 do look Hideous, so far at least.

04:02 04/06/2012 # ! Neutral (0)

Or leas't we could call it a prototype, They could modified with apreciable graphics and better system for the future.

Comment by HouseLife
    15:45 03/06/2012 # ! Neutral (0)

I don't know what they're talking about about the motion. I was surprised by the run cycle, it looked better than most JRPGs I've played. The fighting animations didn't look all that bad either. Of course they can be better, but they're still pretty solid.

I guess it's the lack of an 'upward hit' animation that makes them look like stone statues in the air when they're hit upward. An unfortunate thing to skimp on, because it's a small detail that really stands out as looking extremely strange. They really should do an extra anim tree for those, but that could be extremely difficult to program in now. I've run into limitations like that before, and it's a real bitch to have to watch something ship with something like that.

Other than that though, they seem to be in the polish stages. If they've got until winter, they can get the texture artists working hopefully to beef things up a bit.

14:47 04/06/2012 # ! Neutral (0)

If you judge a game only on the graphics then your a casual gamer.

Comment by oldtaku
    05:31 04/06/2012 # ! Neutral (0)

What? Who cares how it looks. The Tales games have never had great graphics (unless you count PSX days as relatively ok) or great plots. It's all in the details, dialogues, character designs, and action combat mechanics.

05:36 04/06/2012 # ! Neutral (0)

I'm glad he characters don't look fucking stupid like those in the last Xilia.

07:38 04/06/2012 # ! Neutral (0)

It wont be localized anyways so who cares.

08:47 04/06/2012 # ! Neutral (0)

I do, because I'm importing it.

10:21 04/06/2012 # ! Neutral (0)

BEST GRAPHICS EVER holy shitz this must be 58054 p HD

15:38 03/06/2012 # ! Neutral (0)

the protagonist looks better than the emo girlman of xillia 1.0

but of course nothing beats that hot lady protagonist of xillia 1.0

00:16 04/06/2012 # ! Neutral (0)

I will second this as truth.

06:14 04/06/2012 # ! Neutral (0)

I'll buy only if they released it in English.

23:42 03/06/2012 # ! Neutral (0)

Am I the only one who thought of .hack//G.U. when I saw this game?

23:52 03/06/2012 # ! Neutral (0)

Nope , you're not the only one ... but in my case that's a good thing .

18:30 03/06/2012 # ! Neutral (0)

Where was the part where they announced it for the Xbox 360?

16:39 03/06/2012 # ! Neutral (0)

I'm a Tales fan for years and I hype for this game. Many of my friend do too. All those comments probadly came from the trolls.

23:33 03/06/2012 # ! Neutral (0)

Hey nice a new game for my old ps2

No for your ass !

* inserts in ass starts playing **

19:00 03/06/2012 # ! Neutral (0)

I have to say my first thought was, "wow, this is already better than biowares choice systems!". I don't mean this as some fanboy babble it's just that the way they did it in the video was much better than most any choice system in an rpg I have ever seen.

Bioware thinks it's their selling point so they push it to hard. They give you too many choices. Each new choice decreases the impact each one would have. I couldn't finish dragon age cause they gave the option to say 5 different things every 10 sec. What's the point to it all?

Then the only difference all your choices make are what kind of attitude your character has when they do and say the SAME THINGS. The only one that meant anything was that one at the end of jade empire where you could decided to NOT fight the big bad and just die. Splitting choices with a moral compass was a bad idea to begin with. You still have to save the world so why let you be a villain in the first place?

Now to the point, this doesn't show any of that. It's only one example but it looks like they will keep it as only two choices so it's easy to see what they do. More so, those choices aren't "save the girl or use her as a human shield then punch her in the face". You have to be the hero regardless so they do it the smart way and let you choose HOW you save the girl. This could finally show me that choice systems in games are not good or bad but tools that are used skillfully or not.

and my essay is done apparently...

18:10 03/06/2012 # ! Neutral (0)

Guns, swords, axes, crossbows, spears blah blah what's the difference in an RPG, If I had to use something random like a toilet seat but still do the damage I want that's all that matters.

17:12 03/06/2012 # ! Neutral (0)

I NEED the controller

Comment by TC-man
    17:11 03/06/2012 # ! Neutral (0)

Why doesn't this Xilia 1 & 2 look as good as Vesperia which are so much older in age? Because the Tales of team is disbanded or/and are they using the Wii's Tales of Graces game-engine?

Anyway, Namco should just do a Tales of Tekken, or Tales of Soul Calibur.

18:54 03/06/2012 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

It look way better when you see it for yourself , for some reason the video never look like the real thing .. i'm not pointy on graphic so it didn't stop me from buying what i was expecting to be "a little better than graces" in that regard , but in the end the result was a lot better than what those video/screen showed .

Not "awesomely beautiful" but still a step forward .
    Not sure how this compare to vesperia ... maybe because of the color ?
    The world this one take place is a dead world where people killed nature with technology , that may be why it looks a little less ... flashy .

08:35 04/06/2012 # ! Neutral (0)

Xillia 1 looked gorgeous. This video is not even HD.

Regardless this article's just drumming up hits by posting comments from trolls and calling them "fans". Typical.

17:08 03/06/2012 # ! Neutral (0)

That is an ugly outfit for a main dude. He looks like... well.. like some NPC. So forgettable...

07:15 04/06/2012 # ! Neutral (0)

Really? I thought the outfit looks pretty good.

23:02 03/06/2012 # ! Neutral (0)

I'm reminded of Dojima from P4 lol.

17:13 03/06/2012 # ! Neutral (0)

I have been a Tales fan since Destiny's English Release, and this game does not feel or look like a Tales game at all. I have yet to play Xillia but if this is how Xillia 2 is going to be, idk if I want them to be brought over to the US.

17:28 03/06/2012 # ! Neutral (0)

I kinda wanna hear your reason for thinking that. I keep thinking over what parts don't feel right, but I just gave up to ask.

Xillia took a slight turn towards realism. I hear they tried to make the world massive and more to a proper character|building scale. I haven't personally played it, so I can't really say too much though.

They've took out quite a bit of the airy fantasy element which brings me down a bit, but the multi-weapon combo system looks pretty fun to play around with. Its lacking all the flashy exhibition moves since its just a trailer, but I don't think it'll be bad.
    ...unless production is affected because of bad publicity and low hype...

19:04 03/06/2012 # ! Neutral (0)

You guys are never satisfied. It stays the same. people complain, they change things to try something new, you complain.

also lolwut realism?

07:25 04/06/2012 # ! Neutral (0)

@19:04 Yeah, that guy probably hasn't played Tales of Xillia. TOX is as far away from realism as It gets, and that's how I like It.

then stop bicthin and go learn some fucking japanese instead of acting like a peddler and hoping the game to be localized