emiri-kato-smiling-evolution-014.jpg

Seiyuu fans have been reduced to tearful adulation as Kagamin seiyuu Emiri Katou reveals how she overcame her devastation at despicable otaku harassment over her teeth, having completed dental work which sees her able to smile unashamedly again.

Katou’s recent career history is particularly harsh – being a relatively minor seiyuu, her fans were few until she landed her Lucky Star role of Kagami.

Since then, she has landed some big roles – Madoka’s QB, Bakemonogatari’s Mayoi and Baka to Test’s Hideyoshi.

However, along with new fans she also soon attracted detractors on 2ch.

These detractors focused on her ill-aligned teeth, persistently posting bullying comments about this on 2ch and on her blog, forcing her to close her comments.

emiri-kato-smiling-evolution-001.jpg
emiri-kato-smiling-evolution-002.png
emiri-kato-smiling-evolution-003.jpg
emiri-kato-smiling-evolution-004.jpg
emiri-kato-smiling-evolution-005.png

This cruel treatment evidently had a huge effect on her, and soon she either ceased smiling in public, or kept her mouth firmly shut, a fact which emboldened critics on 2ch to continue harassing her.

emiri-kato-smiling-evolution-006.jpg
emiri-kato-smiling-evolution-007.jpg
emiri-kato-smiling-evolution-008.jpg
emiri-kato-smiling-evolution-009.jpg
emiri-kato-smiling-evolution-010.jpg
emiri-kato-smiling-evolution-011.jpg
emiri-kato-smiling-evolution-012.jpg

About this time, somehow her high school nickname of “Moruboru” became public knowledge, and soon she began to be tauntingly known by this name.

emiri-kato-smiling-evolution-013.png

However, she was not to take this lying down – in early 2010 she revealed she had began a course of dental work after saving for some time, calling it “an investment in my future.”

2ch at the time:

“You lot did this!”

“God you guys are utterly disgusting. This is horrible.”

“What have you done…”

“Apologise to her!”

“I am shocked at your antics.”

“You people are complete and total scum, aren’t you?”

Katou revealed in another blog update shortly after this that the bullying had made her consider quitting work as a seiyuu altogether, but that resolved to take action instead:

“When everyone was making a fuss on my blog, I knew how people had started to think about me. People say not to take any notice, but this will get you down at times.

Being a seiyuu should have nothing to do with how your face looks, so why are they saying these things to me? I didn’t become a seiyuu out of a desire to show off my face… thinking these thoughts, I seriously considered quitting many times. Sometimes things were arranged so I would not have to show my face at all.

But with the encouragement all my fans gave me, I was able to get over this!

[..]

Even now photographs are a weakness of mine. That’s why my blog has so few – I’m sorry.

But when I think of the encouragement my fans have given me, I really want to be able to show my face for them! The correction is still underway, but even so I’d like to be able to smile! Hiding them is even more embarassing.

[...]

I’m really glad I told everyone I started the orthodontic work as well.

I feel much better for saying all this.

Ei.”

All this endeared her further to fans:

“I was moved! I’m supporting you!”

“Thinking of Aya and Emiri, I can’t help but think what total scum you are, total scum.”

“What’s this warm feeling running down my cheeks…?”

“She’s a strong lass! A good one!”

“I decided to support Emiri from here on.”

“I cried. She was really hurt by your horrible posts. You should be ashamed of yourselves.”

“I cried. You really hurt her. I support you!”

“So much pathos, I wept. For tormenting a girl like this, you people are the worst!”

After this post, disparaging comments about her teeth declined significantly.

A year and a half later, she revealed her finished teeth:

My dental work is finished!

emiri-kato-smiling-evolution-014.jpg

[She goes on to explain some of the hardships caused by 18 months of braces, focusing on it interfering with her meals and public or photographic appearances]

This has prompted an outpouring of emotion on behalf of her collective tormenters at 2ch, now thoroughly overcome:

“I read her blog and tears came!”

“An angel has descended!”

“Congratulations!”

“Moving!”

“An angel just got more angelic!”

“She was cute even with the double tooth, but corrected she is a real belle!”

“To think she’d become that pretty…”

“She kept working in spite of all that! She’s strong!”

emiri-kato-smiling-evolution-014.jpg

Comment by konakona
    02:37 26/08/2011 # ! Quality (+1.0)

Sounds like an anime story being told xD.

03:59 26/08/2011 # ! Quality (+1.0)

Just scrolling through the pictures told a sad story with a heartwarming ending!

07:45 26/08/2011 # ! Neutral (+0.4)

money solves the problem. Heartwarming.
    Yea right.

Comment by Maderlulz
    10:04 26/08/2011 # ! Good (+0.4)

LOL do you have any idea how big of jewish goldmine the dental industry is? They practically make up that you have cavities or need to have teeth aligned but only if you have money. The tooth fairy really does exist except you give money for your teeth.

Comment by Gitami
    09:20 26/08/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

She had to save for the braces. Seiyuu work doesn't bring much money especially the fact they get less work as their experience and value rises.

08:05 26/08/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

maybe it isn't really because of that

08:05 26/08/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

yea nothing wrong about that

stop it

"money solves the problem. Heartwarming.
    Yea right."

Yeah , i know... people paying dentist to fix their teeth to escape harassment ... revolting !

Can you hang yourself now ?

Comment by Uncommon0taku

Nao she just has to learn to stop abusing her hair. If she isn't careful she could loose it all & start having to wear wigs.

Just look at that frizzled hair. Its really sad.

Comment by MK 7 DUDE
    07:48 26/08/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

Now this is tear-jerker. I was bullied because of my teeth now I see someone similar to me. Kudos to you, Kato!

Dude she looked like some kind of inbred degenerate cannibal demon freak before. How can you sympathize?

19:29 26/08/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

Hey douche, how about going through the same fucking thing?

07:17 27/08/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

Trolling is as trolling does.

BAKA.

07:36 29/08/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

I'll punch the first guy to say that she's Baraka's little sister!

Comment by Ota-Kool
    08:22 26/08/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

So she's an Ugly Betty Seiryuu?

10:09 27/10/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

She's the bloody Azure Dragon of the East of voice actresses. That's how awesome she is.

08:52 26/08/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

Seiyuu. What are you, retarded? o.O;

01:31 27/08/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

There is this term called "TYPO"
    I don't know if you've ever heard of it. maybe not.

Yeah? There's also checking your post before you hit add comment, ever heard of that?

07:05 26/08/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

I don't have this feeling at all

Comment by Actar
    02:46 26/08/2011 # ! Quality (+1.0)

She is definitely one of the top in my list of "Seiyuu to Meet Before I Die".

Comment by Shippoyasha
    18:45 26/08/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

She definitely has the cutest and most funnest voices in anime today. Shame she is still considered 'b-level' seiyuu. She should be in top billing every time.

This whole debacle honestly disgusts me. Even though I might be biased since she's one of my favorite seiyuu. And she flat out says that she isn't there to be a model. Good for her that she fixed her teeth and all, but doing so via bullying is making me wish some very ill things to happen to those trolls. Way to treat one of the class acts of the industry that way.

07:15 27/08/2011 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

I agree.
    She is absolutely adorable :)

And the trolls who called her names should be ashamed of themselves. I hope they get what the deserve (karma can be a heartless bitch)

My teeth aren't perfect either, but my girlfriend of the past 6 years doesn't seem to mind that much. She loves me for who I am, not my crooked teeth :P

Comment by Mr.Demon

Your list of "Seiyuus to Stalk" you mean?

03:24 26/08/2011 # ! Quality (+1.0)

Her new teeth were so awesome that the same picture had to be used thrice on one post.

Comment by Roy
    01:11 27/08/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

~~~~ YOU GO GIRL ~~~~

Braces start at 1,500$ US and can go up to 10,000$.

You have to really want it~~!.

Good Girl ...

Triti

05:25 12/03/2013 # ! Neutral (0)

Those aren't braces faggot, that's dental bonding.

19:22 26/08/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

Yeah, the teeth did effect her natural attractive looks.

They WERE bad, and are (were) correctable. How many millions of *US* have had braces as a child? That is what they were for.

Even A-List actors have had braces (high tech nearly invisible types) to enhance or correct their teeth. She will feel better about her self and will be able to chew food better as well.

22:59 26/08/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

her teeth were remarkably fucked up, and not just a bit, they were... wow.

granted, if possible, i wouldn't get this done in japan, they have a tenancy to break the jaw to fix it more than put braces in.

Comment by Saber
    02:33 26/08/2011 # ! Quality (+1.0)

I always found her to always to be very cute. The new smile she has now is just icing on the cake.

02:39 26/08/2011 # ! Good (+0.6)

She is cute. Someone needs to beat some sense in this guys from 2ch. They thinks everyone in the world are ugly. The problem of Emiri was her teeth, the problem of 2ch guys is the whole body AND their personality and everything else about them.

05:28 26/08/2011 # ! Neutral (+0.4)

It's because the most cowardly and low aspects of the human nature come to the forefront when they are under the cover of anonymity. So they can show their true selves and bask in the twisted joy of crushing innocent people and bullying beautiful women.

Probably, that helps them forget for one second how disgusting and repulsive their personalities are, and how they will never get laid or have meaningful relationships.

(Not everybody on 2ch, just the jerks who hurt people like that.)

Comment by Myballz
    08:05 26/08/2011 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

2ch has always been this way its never going to change. Even if Korean hack attack happen they still haven't learn anything.

Comment by Shippoyasha
    18:49 26/08/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

2ch does have some moments of glory, but it's kind of disgusting that they take these acts of harassment to such a personal level. Even 4chan's /b/ sewers at least had an amazingly cool/compassionate 'brony' movement for My Little Pony and some other more sympathetic movements. 2ch will always be 2ch. Thinking the stereotypical 'otaku stalking and abusing professionals' is par for course. Places like 4chan typically target corporations, not always people like this unless they were openly inflammatory and combative first. Emiri is the furthest person to being an inflammatory public figure.

14:55 26/08/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

With people's attitude at ch2, I find it hard to believe anyone actually gave "densha otoko" a helping hand at winning the heart of his fair maiden.

Comment by Lonesnipa
    03:52 26/08/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

The thing is, that the problem was that people are assholes. Her teeth were fine.

Comment by Lonesnipa
    06:30 26/08/2011 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

See anon you are part of the problem with the world. People should be fine with their bodies the way they are.

08:56 26/08/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

EPIC FAILURE.

06:52 26/08/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

Her teeth were fine enough. People just want females in entertainment to look more perfect than reality provides us with.

But then, if she doesn't ever regret having her teeth done, then she did the right thing. Sometimes, an image change can do great things for someone. =)

06:01 26/08/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

Her teeth were not fine.

Look at the hypocrite talk.

08:56 26/08/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

EPIC FAILURE. o_o

Dude she had teeth worst than Mileena from Mortal Kombat!

Comment by Yoshii-kun
    02:35 26/08/2011 # ! Quality (+0.9)

Yay! Kyuubee can smile again!
    ...
    ...
    Oh god, what have we done?!

Comment by BlaqCat
    04:19 26/08/2011 # ! Quality (+1.0)

More contracts to be made influenced by a pretty smile?

Really though, she's amazing in my opinion. It's got to be horridly harsh to face such raw comments about your appearance and go on.

22:30 26/08/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

Would make contract with Emirin if she asked...

11:16 26/08/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

I'm disappointed on your failure in doing at least one reference of your boy/girl/Hide-friend, Yoshii-kun..

Comment by Yoshii-kun
    19:00 26/08/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

Hideyoshi/Katou Emiri was perfect before any dental work. Still, apologies.
    Will work harder at my character.

03:07 26/08/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

Well played, good sir.

03:56 26/08/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

Lol, Kyuubee always smiles

anyway, how can one get such bad teeth to begin with... you have to completely ignore going to stomatologist as child... and her parents did nothing?
    it's good that she fixed it

05:24 26/08/2011 # ! Good (+0.8)

JAPAN

there is a thing called "researching"

anyway,enough about you and your own shortcomings.
    I'm here to congratulate Kato!
    This really moved me. I was waiting for those braces to come off.

Comment by NakkiNyan
    06:05 26/08/2011 # ! Good (+0.4)

Because people like Anon-3:56 stating shit as fact when they obviously know absolutely nothing is annoying. 2 minutes on Google would have given him the answer.

05:25 26/08/2011 # ! Drivel (-0.8)

Why u so mad bro?

05:25 26/08/2011 # ! Good (+0.6)

BULL.

Going to the doctor has nothing to do with it.

My teeth are just as bad as hers were and there was no helping it.

Not every place has the same culture or the same dental practices. For us it was the choice between risking several teeth getting damaged and then later falling out from poor corrective procedure, or leave them the way they were.

I hate my smile but I'm glad I didn't lose my teeth. That's far worse, not being able to eat right and all.
    I know people who tried the same procedure I'd have to have done, through the same doctors, and they have many teeth problems now.

It's not the same as in the US where everyone has perfectly white and aligned teeth all corrected properly and safely since they were tiny kids. Not every place is the same or has the same dental practices.

Comment by Shippoyasha
    18:55 26/08/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

I can definitely at least say that there are some weird stigmas about teeth correction in Japan. Most corrective teeth straightening should not be a risky issue at all, but then there's just strange reservations people can have with it. Not entirely sure why, but maybe corrective treatment isn't entirely covered by the healthcare. Not entirely sure.

06:52 26/08/2011 # ! Good (+0.6)

Are you dense?

Getting your teeth fixed can get expensive and some people just can't afford it, even in Canada or the USA.

06:50 26/08/2011 # ! Neutral (+0.4)

Getting your teeth fixed can be expensive. It's something a lot of parents just can't do even in Canada/USA.

Comment by Peter K
    15:56 26/08/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

Maybe her parents just couldn't sacrifice the money to fix her teeth... You just don't know. There are much more important things than worrying about your kids teeth, like keeping a roof over your family's head and feeding them.

11:24 26/08/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

It depends on the teeth problem. For Emiri it must have cost A LOT. Since she had to fix every teeth and the color as well, it is also painful.

My teeth must have cost around $4000 already including braces and retainers and regular cleaning and there's more to pay because I always end up with cavities.._. I feel her....

Though I didn't want it this way and preferred my ugly teeth. Too bad my parents forced it into me >_>

Comment by Wapanese

I've had dental work done and in my opinion, it wasn't all that expensive. You have a computer, internet and probably own video games and a contract mobile, how can you not afford dental work?

Well, it means Kyuubee got feelings now.
    So they won't just let them die for some energy.
    And that's why Kyuubee wasn't evil anymore at the end of the last episode.

i though asians like crooked teeth...

08:55 26/08/2011 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

....My, you really ARE retarded, aren't you? o_o;