Final Fantasy XIII Ideal vs Actuality

lightning-ff13.jpg

Sharp-eyed observers can’t help but notice that upcoming blockbuster RPG Final Fantasy XIII’s graphics seem to have suffered a substantial degradation since the first promotional shots were released.

Now shots of the game are looking distinctly polygonal…

Originals are above, later shots below:

ff13-graphical-degradation-7.jpg
ff13-graphical-degradation-4.jpg
ff13-graphical-degradation-8.jpg
ff13-graphical-degradation-5.jpg
ff13-graphical-degradation-2.jpg
ff13-graphical-degradation.jpg
ff13-graphical-degradation-6.jpg
ff13-graphical-degradation-3.jpg

Of course, nobody believes promotional images for games, but even so this is slightly disappointing. Fans can take solace in the high quality of female anatomy on offer

The game is due in Japan in the winter, as a “PS3 exclusive.” The delayed international release will include an Xbox 360 version.

Via Hachimaki.

Comment by i386
    06:41 04/08/2009 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

Peeps have short memories it seems.
    Anyone remembers MGS2 on dev tool versus MGS2 on PS2?
    Same effect exactly.

If they DID downgrade 13 visual quality so 360 retards, excuse me, fans, can't complain about the difference with the PS3 version, it is inded the dumbest move ever.

As long as it looks as good as the demo did, it's more than fine enough to me.

08:21 04/08/2009 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

PS3 for japanese games. (FF, MGS, GT etc)

XBOX360 for the western games. (Halo, GTA, GOW etc)

PC for everything.

solved.

10:53 04/08/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

PC= BORRED RPGS

13:21 04/08/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

The otakuish titles are on the 360 you know.

im@s, dream club, etc.

Comment by Kaiji
    06:17 04/08/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Fuck it all. I don't care about SUPER AMAZING EYE-BLEEDINGLY GREAT REALISTIC ULTRA AWESOME GRAPHICS, I want artistic games. Look at Okami. It's a great game, and graphic quality don't matter there because it's artistic! If people stopped aiming for realism, and instead made things artistic, then games could be fun for a change!

I for one would like to play a game where it starts out super realistic and then turns into a cartoony wonderland where anything can and WILL happen. Like the Wizard of Oz. Something like that would make me cry TEARS OF JOY...but it's a shame everyone's too busy waiting for GRITTY SHOOTAN GAME 6 to care about artsy fartsy FUN games.

Comment by Parn
    06:46 04/08/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Doesn't bother me, the girls are still hot~

Comment by Jago
    11:59 04/08/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

This game will decide which system is better in terms of graphics. Still,.. this game is taking for ever to be released. It did however save me $400 dollars. This is the one game that would of made me buy a PS3.

12:37 04/08/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

If history is anything to go by, the better-looking shots are most likely from the 360 version.

All 360/PS3 multiplatform games released so far have either looked and/or ran better on the 360 or (more rarely) are the same.

The only PS3 games that actually look good are exclusives build from the ground up on the PS3.

Comparing the 3D capabilities of the PS3 and 360 is like comparing the 2D capabilities of the Sega Saturn and PS1. Saturn was technically supperior in that regard, but was only noticeable in games designed for it, which weren't very many (because the system was less popular than the competition, was more expensive, and the extra processor thrown in at the last minute made it a pain in the ass to program for. Sound familiar?). Too bad the PS3's library of exclusives isn't as good as the Saturn's.

13:18 04/08/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

The Saturn gave me way more happiness then the PS1.

15:19 04/08/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Yeah, the Saturn gave me more happiness too. Unfortunately, I can't say the same for the PS3 and its current library. The 360 is far more Saturn-like in that regard, I think.

04:47 05/08/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

That wasn't the case with 2D games that were built for the PS1 first and then later ported to the Saturn. Castlevania SotN is a great example.

18:24 04/08/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

I wouldn't go that far.

The PS3 is fairly Saturn-ish. Its the one with less market penetration and a supposedly more powerful hardware that's difficult to program for.

The 360 is fairly PS1-ish. Its the supposedly weaker hardware console with strong market penetration and popular amongst the developers for its ease of programming.

The big difference here is, graphically it seems the 360 stole the Saturn attribute for domination. Looking at the multiplatform releases, the 360 beats the PS3 the same way the old Saturn beat the PS1.

Comment by the7k
    02:11 04/08/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Wow - Square sure did drop the ball in a big way.

I know graphics aren't everything...

... but this is a Final Fantasy game. Ever since the PlayStation era - YES - graphics are everything for the Final Fantasy series.

Eye candy is the only selling-point I see for this series, unless you happen to be one of the millions of people that are still charmed by the same character archetypes, same plot/scenarios and same battle systems that we've had for more than a decade now.

02:51 04/08/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

I don't see that huge of a difference. Then again, I'm not that visual a person. But to the poster above---if the graphics are the main selling point for FF for you, you could probably do better elsewhere. Personally, I guess I am just the kind of sap who likes Squares stories and characters---I even prefer traditional turn based combat to quasi-real time as in FFXII. I'd sooner play WoW if I wanted the later.

Comment by AnonY
    01:31 04/08/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

...I must be the only one who thinks the 'polygonal' ones are actually better looking. X3

Too realistic is just what it is - it's 'too realistic'. I'll quit gaming the day everything looks exact to looking at a human being. Actually, that might explain why I avoid a lot of more recent games...

Comment by Eva Unit 001
    03:04 04/08/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Nah, I agree with you as well. Developers these days are too worried about making their super shiny, ultra-realistic graphics when they should focus more on the gameplay aspect. Why would I want to play the same rehashed game that just looks prettier?

Not surprised the actual gameplay footage is downgraded, they do this all of the time for promotional ads. Stop your stupid console argument, peoples. :P

Comment by InfiniteNine
    12:48 04/08/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Problem with this also is that the games tend to be shorter when the graphics are the focal point. Seems to be getting more common, and that saddens me.

Comment by MARl0
    01:24 04/08/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Meh, the game still looks incredible.

Also, I can't help but notice how tame the attitude is when a ps3 story like this shows up on this site. If this was a story about the 360 or the Wii, you can bet that we would have gotten some nice biased remarks included with the story, instead of a simple "this is slightly disappointing". The polarity in the attitude between ps3 and "wii/360" stories on this site is disgusting.

01:40 04/08/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

I dont care for these comparison things I Just Like The Game so that i can play it at my home for years ^^

Comment by ashiguru
    04:45 04/08/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

will the console war never end. Both systems have their merits and competition is a good thing.

04:50 04/08/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Oh this sucks !

03:49 04/08/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

lol fighting over craps..why dont buy both and play on both..that would satisfy both sides..world peace!:D

03:36 04/08/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Oh, noes!!! They didn't look good in the first place. Gameplay and story are the only important things and even then one can hold up the other if it is lacking in one regard.

03:16 04/08/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

This entire post smells of trolling to me.

Comment by Enix
    03:25 04/08/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

all those people bitching about graphics make me wish to go back to the 8/16-bit era when gameplay was more important

Comment by shitbox3shitsty
    12:50 04/08/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

That is what you get when a game is released for both consoles, the ps3 version is dumb down so it can be ported to the inferior shitbox

Comment by LiclacAtra
    00:46 06/08/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

I don't care to much about the graphics I just want the game to be fun...

22:22 05/08/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

above: rendered version
    below: PS3 version
    not yet pictured/none?: XBOX version
    other post: butthurt post

Comment by hALOTOO
    12:56 06/08/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

I think the upper pic is from PS3 and the below one is 360 and I also think PS3 ones are CG and 360 ones are in-game graphic cut scene (due to space shortage)

Comment by Crazy_Diamond
    16:33 12/08/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

The original pics were clearly from a pre-rendered FMV used to conceptualize several scenarios from the game. Designers do it all the time.

However, if the games was made specifically for either one of the platforms, and was built around the strength of the platform, it could have ended up looking almost identical to the FMVs. This would have been easier to do, if Square had developed it for the PS3 only, so they could have optimized it for it's hardware and built around the fabulous Cell - Processor.

If only, if only...

06:34 04/09/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

still looks fucking great

Comment by Schrodinger
    02:35 05/08/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

All I'm getting from all these comments is "My console is better than yours because it's the one mommy bought me".

Everyone, grow the fuck up.

Comment by Metalbunny
    07:55 05/08/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

?????????Why did it suddenly turn into a console war???

16:42 08/09/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

LOL. XBAWKS GOT THE RETARDED GRAPHICS.

Final Fantasy sequels (except the spin-offs) are supposed to be PLAYSTATION-EXCLUSIVE.

But, since XBOX games are so sucky, I guess Square Enix gave them a chance to make the most out of the 360. XD

Too bad, they won't get FFXIII: Versus. NYARHARHAR

14:16 14/09/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Square Enix is actually seriously considering bringing Versus to the 360 since FFXIII did so well on it. So, nyah nyah.

10:22 24/01/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

no its the PS3 slim low GFX chek it by ur self

11:04 05/01/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

But can it play crysis?

19:51 28/01/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

The first pict are from pre-rendered FMV, the second picts use the actual in-game engine. Apples to oranges, you can't really compare and say the game was degraded.

00:24 29/12/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

I actually OWN the game and I gotta say, I don't even remember the second screenshot. and Vanilla looks NOTHING like that crummy version of her.

21:39 26/10/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Top picture is xbox 360 version
    Bottom pisture is ps 3 version

Comment by shitbox3shitsty
    23:24 04/08/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

squeenix kyo-ani much?

Comment by Tetsunya Nomunya
    14:51 04/08/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

I'm sorry, but I think you've missed the point,
    as far as I can tell, those are "FMV" vs "in-game" comparison

When you see it like that, of course it's very clear there's a wide gap between them
    because even on PS3, in-game models supposed to be low poly (about 10000 tris per char for next-gen machine usually), otherwise the machine (PS3, XBOX360, etc) can't play the game with enough framerates (slowdown or stuttering while playing)

On the other hand, FMV models are almost not limited by machine capability because they're pre-rendered (played as video, not in real-time)

Comment by somebody else
    Comment by ZippyDSMlee
    15:24 04/08/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Mmmm not bad.... probably would be better on PC...oh well.

15:35 04/08/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Looks fine, hopefully this game is actually good, I didn't enjoy that past couple offerings, or anything from Square in years.

17:36 04/08/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

They had to cut back the grpahics AND the battle system to work on the 360 platform.

Im sure they would have lvoed to make it a ps3 exclusive but we have fucktards fapping to FPS in america so they all gobble on the 360 knob.

Sadly because of people mass buying the 360 cause of their terrible taste in mass reproduced FPS there are a lot of games that arnt being released in the states that pwn all those FPS that you all fap to.

The hardware of the PS3 itself pwns the 360 drastically. Sadly though marketing is about making money. And multiplatforming will make you the most money.

Comment by EspadaKiller
    19:26 04/08/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Those are not true people, that person just took the TGS 08 picture and said it's the "newer" build. Proof here guys:

Comment by InfiniteNine
    19:46 04/08/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Oh, so the demo was a year old build!? I can't wait to see what it turns out in the finished product now since I thought the demo was beautiful.

Comment by PZ
    01:22 04/08/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

I don't think it has anything to do with porting.
    Game developers often release screenshots eairly in the development phase at high resolutions, before they actually have the game running on a console.

Comment by nyron
    18:34 03/08/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Well ... that happens when you go multi-platform ... you have to make compromises.

That's why PS3 exclusives looking so much better than 360 exclusives or PS3/360/PC multi-platform games.