Official: Madoka Bigger Than K-ON!

rebellion-cast

After grossing 1.93 billion yen at the box office, Puella Magi Madoka Magica has is now the biggest late night anime movie ever – finally knocking K-ON! off the top spot.

The third Madoka movie “Rebellion” has so far managed 1.93 billion yen in ticket sales and over 1.4 million viewers, narrowly beating the previous top-runner K-ON!’s 1.9 billion take.

Unsurprisingly considering the slaughter of the original series, Rebellion gleefully throws prior continuity out and reintroduces the magical puellae thought lost – and as the first entirely new entry in the film series has proven essential viewing for Madoka fans.

18:36 21/12/2013 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

K-on! is not bad... it just shouldn't be more popular than something like Code Geass.

But Code Geass is overrated shit.

14:37 21/12/2013 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

lol that's bull
    when you compare box office gross, you need to adjust for inflation
    now lets adjusted that number and try again.

btw each k-on movie ticket was 1,300yen per their website vs 1,500yen per madoka movie.

since madoka's gross is only slightly bigger than k-on, without doing any math, you can easily conclude more people watched k-on than madoka

01:19 22/12/2013 # ! Neutral (0)

Which cinema did you go for the K-ON movie?

For I could've sworn paying more than 1300 watching at Shinjuku.

18:12 21/12/2013 # ! Neutral (0)

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/pub?key=0Ajj_IfkmgvF0dFJ2REk5UFBpNlFzeHl2b0gxYnF3Mnc&gid=0 [https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/pub?key=0Ajj_IfkmgvF0dFJ2REk5UFBpNlFzeHl2b0gxYnF3Mnc&gid=0]

K-on final 1900
    Madoka 51 1935
    K-on 51 1560

1935/1500=1.29
    1560/1300=1.2

>inflation
    2 year

18:29 21/12/2013 # ! Neutral (0)

The inflation need to be at least 7.5%

18:37 21/12/2013 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

Sorry 24%

10:22 25/12/2013 # ! Neutral (0)

24% would take you about 11 years on the target 2%. For the last ten years US core inflation is sitting about 1.6-1.7% on average, which would take about ~13 years to hit that 24%. Right now US core inflation is 1.1%.

And don't give me crap about price of oil or gold because when we are talking about inflation, we are actually talking about the "core inflation" not the price of commodities.
    Why? because it fluctuates a lot, it's different.

17:30 21/12/2013 # ! Neutral (0)

400,003,600/271,279 = 1475

day 2
    Madoka = 271,279
    k-on = 237,800

Satisfy?

01:35 25/12/2013 # ! Neutral (0)

You forget one thing. Madoka had an overseas viewing in the UK and the US. K-On showed in Japan and I think UK. More people watched the Madoka movie than the K-on movie.

Besides, K-On, aside from the music, is sub-par.

Comment by warjoke
    13:59 21/12/2013 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

I am yet to watch it. Please explain what's so bad about it.

Comment by Kinny Riddle
    01:21 22/12/2013 # ! Neutral (0)

Urobuchi Gen made a shocking twist for the sake of making a shocking twist.

You have to see it to find out why people were so dismayed by it. It practically undid the heartwarming, if bittersweet, finale of the TV series.

02:42 22/12/2013 # ! Neutral (0)

That seems to be his whole deal. The entire anime was just one insufferably long marathon of cheap shock value twists.

01:39 25/12/2013 # ! Neutral (0)

That wasn't Urobuchi's fault. Sadly, he was forced into a corner by the producers and directors, saying to rewrite the ending or we'll fire you. Now of course, Gen Urobuchi isn't going to turn over his work to another writer to be adjusted. Though I agree the ending was a what the fuck cakes that didn't need to happen.

05:01 11/01/2014 # ! Neutral (0)

Are you kidding me? This twist was the only thing able to save the serie from the worst thing ever that the ending of the original serie was. At the very least now it's watchable. Madoka 11/12 was just painful to watch.

00:49 24/12/2013 # ! Neutral (0)

Try seeing it again, you'll change your opinion.

16:01 21/12/2013 # ! Neutral (0)

nothing its just the ending that would probably make you cry like usual. its really good

07:12 21/12/2013 # ! Neutral (0)

Throws out prior continuity? Having seen the camrip I can say that this is statement is wrong.

08:08 21/12/2013 # ! Neutral (0)

Whether or how it connects with prior continuity would arguably be spoily (though it shouldn't be too hard to guess for anyone who watched the original).

Saw it in the theater, myself - even though that meant driving about 4 hours to Boston and back. It was worth it. Maybe not quite on par with the TV series or the first two movies (mostly pacing issues, IMO), but still right up there.

Comment by SunnyJ
    01:00 24/12/2013 # ! Neutral (-0.2)

I'll agree. It's not as good as the original series/movies for solid and well done; however, the third movie doesn't throw much if any continuity out. If you see it more than once you will pick out a lot of things you missed. It happened to me, saw the at the US Premiere, was unsure, so I saw it again (a few times) and my opinion drastically changed for the better. Besides, a movie with a controversial / open for interpretation ending is going to spark more talk / hate than one with a boring / happy ending.

07:21 21/12/2013 # ! Neutral (0)

Hm, I should watch it I think.

07:28 21/12/2013 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

Just because it sells a lot...? Do you listen to Justin Bieber and watch Twilight, too...? I am not saying this compares to those 2, but your logic goes like "it must be good if it sells a lot", which is a terribly flawed fallacy.

Besides, these "news" are no news at all, unless somebody was dumb enough to think K-ON! would stay on top forever. Like many have said before me, Sankaku has its ways to exaggerate reality.

11:27 21/12/2013 # ! Neutral (0)

"Everthing I think is shit must be shit even it sell lots"
    What a good logic

"it must be good if it sells a lot"

yes yes, the numbers lie. Come out of your room every once and a while but over all chances are it will be watchable to say the least.

I'll be watching it when its available in my region.

10:48 21/12/2013 # ! Neutral (0)

Over half the world's population subscribes to belief in either Christianity or Islam.

Therefore, a monotheistic God probably exists.

...Am I doing it right?

When it comes to quality, numbers CAN lie, in fact. And not just numbers related to money, mind you. Logic does not care about numbers, only about facts, and numbers do not necessarily show facts (though it sometimes does). Big sales simply state the fact that the product sold well, but not WHY it sold well.

Again, I am not questioning whether the anime is good or not, I am simply saying that sale numbers should not have anything to do with it, no matter if even the majority thinks otherwise because that is a fallacy known as "Ad Populum". Look it up. I an even amazed at how many people think quality has anything to do with how a product sells, and if it SOMEHOW does, it would be at a minimal degree... You need not be a sales expert or an economist to know such comparation is preposterous.

Way to blow things out of proportion. He didn't say WHY he should watch it, just that he thinks he should. He gave no indication as to what logic he based that decision on.

"Don't assume; It makes an ASS out of U and ME"

07:31 21/12/2013 # ! Neutral (0)

This news actually makes me happy for once...

06:06 22/12/2013 # ! Neutral (0)

Are you guys still whining about K-ON and Madoka? Both series have been finished for 2 years already, get over it.

Comment by Reo
    07:08 21/12/2013 # ! Neutral (0)

Blame Kyo-Ani for not...

21:01 23/12/2013 # ! Neutral (0)

I guess you can tell how good an anime is by how many haters it has?

So Madoka is a god-tier anime, then?

Otherwise, I am the only person in the world with good taste.

06:32 24/12/2013 # ! Neutral (0)

Actually Madoka surpassed Evangelion Rebuild 1, every old Eva movie and made the same as Rebuild 2, due the fact Japan had deflation until recently Madoka values are even bigger.

14:48 24/12/2013 # ! Neutral (0)

Good, loving K-ON was a guilty pleasure but I can proudly say I love Madoka.

10:03 21/12/2013 # ! Neutral (0)

Take that K-on you piece of crap.

09:36 21/12/2013 # ! Neutral (0)

Godoka's in her heaven.
    All is right in the world.

09:27 21/12/2013 # ! Neutral (0)

I went to see this in a theater that also showed the first two movie
    so I ended up watching all three movies
    I cried in public which was a little bit embarrassing.

Comment by Dia
    14:50 21/12/2013 # ! Neutral (0)

That bad, huh?

10:59 21/12/2013 # ! Neutral (0)

And soon (at least let's hope it's soon...), SHAFT will break their own record with Kizumonogatari

12:31 21/12/2013 # ! Neutral (0)

Wow you guys still care over this whole K-ON sucks thing and then go nuts over a posted article about how Madoka is "bigger" than K-ON? All of you guys are losers.

Both series have been over for like 2 years now, get over it.

13:53 21/12/2013 # ! Neutral (0)

This makes me sad because this movie was actually absolutely terrible. These kind of sales will only encourage more of this garbage.

00:56 24/12/2013 # ! Neutral (0)

See it again, many of the opinions here are the same as the ones I heard from most people who saw it once, but not from those who saw it more than once and actually discovered what transpired.

15:33 24/12/2013 # ! Neutral (0)

Was there a hidden meaning I missed? Because the only thing I saw with that little "twist" at the end was the bastardization of the entire Madoka story and Homura as a character just for the sake of shock value.

02:57 28/12/2013 # ! Neutral (0)

Huh? Homura's actions were consistent with her character from start to finish of the movie. Then again, I watched the movie several times already.

05:12 11/01/2014 # ! Neutral (0)

Then you didn't get the twist or the movie at all. It's as simple as that. As 02:57 said, Homura is consistent from the beginning to the end, and is also consistent compared to the TV serie. If anything, her agreeing with Madoka's sacrifice in ep12 despite Madoka being forced into it was the thing that was the most out-of-place to begin with. The movie even spells it out for you.

I hated the serie because of its last episodes that were either stupid and rushed, either a stupid deus-ex-machina out of nowhere and only hinted at once, and in a bad way, but the movie definitely correct the ending's flaws and make the whole serie enjoyable again.

12:19 21/12/2013 # ! Neutral (0)

The third movie was utter sh!t.

The ONLY good thing about this movie was the two big fight scenes. That's it.

R.I.P Madoka series

At least Madoka has good story, but K-on is only good for people like to watch cute girls do dumb shit.

I don't know why but every time I see someone say that about K-on I feel so damn happy xD

11:06 21/12/2013 # ! Neutral (0)

he is merely stating the truth. Madoka DAMN WELL deserve to be bigger than K-On

you are not alone!

you sir may take my likes for not liking Krap-On

Comment by Shadow C
    08:08 21/12/2013 # ! Neutral (-0.2)

Finally someone took down K-on!

Also, the continuity was still the same as the first two movies, they just skipped ahead in time a bit.(some shit happened in between movie 2 and 3, but it's still the same continuity) The story is complicated, and requires you to recall details of the other movies, and be attentive enough to follow along with the plot.

Comment by Atom
    17:53 21/12/2013 # ! Neutral (0)

I believe we find out at the end of Rebellion that the time skip is 3 years or so? (fuck you spoiler watchers, it has nothing to do with the story)

Or that might be 3 years - the time (A month) that the series took place throughout.

i think it's a set up to one final movie with godoka and homucifer going at it.