MS Admits Xbox One Drive Fault

xbox-one-ifixit-teardown-bluray

The truly regrettable news that the Xbox One’s launch has been marred by faulty disc drives has been officially acknowledged by Microsoft, who helpfully assures the public that it only affects a “very small” number of buyers.

The console sold over a million units, and amazingly some proved faulty:

“The issue is affecting a very small number of Xbox One customers.

We’re working directly with those affected to get a replacement console to them as soon as possible through our advance exchange program.”

Sony also admitted to its own PS4 problems, blaming them on “shipping damage” affecting “less than 1%” of consoles sold:

“This leads us to believe there isn’t a singular problem that could impact a broader percentage of PS4 units.

We also understand that some units were reportedly damaged during shipping.”

There has been suspicion that failure rates for both consoles are reasonable and simply being made much of by crowing YouTube videos – although how long these notoriously unreliable first iteration consoles last is likely to exercise some concern in future months.

Comment by tingle
    22:32 26/11/2013 # ! Good (+0.4)

The hilarious part? The Xbone was made much larger with spectacular ventilation and super powered fans to prevent overheating and RROD. Only to have a simple disc drive break?

22:34 26/11/2013 # ! Neutral (+0.4)

LiteON quality; only as strong as your weakest link

11:51 27/11/2013 # ! Neutral (0)

Yes... and even even with a good drive, with Microsquish, the weakest link will always be the system software.

01:58 28/11/2013 # ! Neutral (0)

Using brute-force to break into a single account is not even remotely the same as actually hacking into Microsoft's site and gaining access to everyone's personal information.

At no point in time did I say there were no accounts hacked. If you think I was referring to gamer tags when I said "VALID resigned files", you sir are an idiot.

And next time remember to use letters, numbers and symbols in any password directly/indirectly linked to an account with credit card access. Only an idiot uses simple words, which brute-force attacks can tear through, over a short period of time. Then claims a site is "hacked" because he got "hacked".

01:04 28/11/2013 # ! Neutral (0)

You sure MS has never been hacked? its how I lost my gamertag....only thing they did was keep denying it till enough people bitched about it just like the Rrod

Sure, that's why the no one has yet to figure out how to create VALID resigned 360 files 8 years later. Unlike with PS3 & PSP. And why all Sony owned servers were hacked, with all personal data compromised. u mad? yeah, u mad.

20:43 26/11/2013 # ! Neutral (+0.4)

This problem can be solved by the user by Unpluging the XBone, turning it upside-down and hitting it from above.

IT REALLY IS LIKE A VCR!

Comment by Light Yagami
    22:51 26/11/2013 # ! Good (+0.4)

Everybody knows that:

XBOXONE ---> VCR
    PS4 ---> HEATER

06:01 27/11/2013 # ! Neutral (0)

And a PC ---> A/C
    ;)

Comment by Mizuumi-san
    07:35 27/11/2013 # ! Neutral (0)

wtf?

14:38 27/11/2013 # ! Neutral (0)

In the last winter, when my heater died and I didn't have enough money to fix it quickly, I aimed my PC's back to my feet. It was nice.

11:13 27/11/2013 # ! Neutral (0)

WIIU --> FRIDGE

13:05 27/11/2013 # ! Neutral (+0.4)

PC > WiiU > PS4 > Xbone

12:31 27/11/2013 # ! Neutral (0)

WIIU ---> TABLET

FTFY

22:28 26/11/2013 # ! Neutral (0)

Sounds like what we used to do with our Playstations, as the lasers aged.

Comment by Noodlestein
    03:34 27/11/2013 # ! Neutral (0)

Yup, my older PS1 (first gen) only reliably plays games if I have it upside down, which is why I bought a 9001 model a few months back when I found one on ebay for 20$

Comment by Light Yagami
    22:50 26/11/2013 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

So basically you're all saying that to keep on playing with the same old titles (just the number that follows change), I have to waste another 500$ "Una-Tantum" and get a broken machine ?

Excuse me, I keep on playing "Candy Crush" on my iPhone...

02:09 27/11/2013 # ! Neutral (0)

Well, it take extreme talent to make a new title, and people will likely skeptical of new title and judge it more harshly, so we stuck at the new version of old title..

Comment by Light Yagami
    13:32 28/11/2013 # ! Neutral (0)

Listen: I honestly do not give a fuck about graphics, and certainly do not want to spend $500 just because the graphics are awesome, the sound is is in 9.1 channels, and [Put an Award winner actor, or someone else of that kind] dubbed it.
    I want to play with NEW GAMES, not with NEW CONSOLES...

Comment by Light Yagami
    11:56 29/11/2013 # ! Neutral (0)

You see, you are in total rightness. Modern consoles can blow a load graphic ok. But let me see the games...
    CALL OF DUTY: 15 titles published...
    HALO: 9 titles published...
    METAL GEAR: 31 titles published...
    ELDER SCROLLS: 5 (+ 7 expansions) published...
    SNIPER ELITE: 3 titles published...
    FINAL FANTASY: 53 titles published...
    LEGO something: 35 titles published.
    Well, if you just want stunning graphic, you will be higly rewarded. But if you want new games, be prepared: You will be highly disappointed. Just like me...

15:47 28/11/2013 # ! Neutral (0)

It's not just about graphics, it's about content. Newer console games hold a hell of a lot more information, thus you can do more. Though, i for one, welcome better graphics and sound, i went and bought a 1080p tv because sony promised 1080p games for the ps3, and most are only 720p. There is a huge difference, if you've ever seen a blu ray 1080p movie and a 1080p monitor, and then watched that same movie on dvd on a standard tv, then you'd know what i'm talking about. Graphics aren't everything, but if everyone were like you then nothing would be enhanced, we'd still be playing atari.

22:26 26/11/2013 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

>LiteON optical drive
    >defective

There's NOTHING surprising about that. LiteON is trash.

22:39 26/11/2013 # ! Neutral (+0.4)

The very fact that they put a LiteOn drive in the $500 system shows that they wanted it to fail.

I give the entire lot 3 months b4 utter rampant failure occurs.

00:36 27/11/2013 # ! Neutral (+0.4)

It will live past it's warranty, job done, this turns into money in the bank vs using better technology.

Same reason major electronic appliances manufacturers use some rather cheap parts in their design, so as to fail as close as possible after the end of the warranty period.
    Good business yo!

08:52 27/11/2013 # ! Neutral (0)

In all honesty the PS4 likely uses LiteON parts too, as Sony stopped manufacturing optical drives years ago and after which nearly all of their optical drives were rebranded LiteON drives.

23:27 26/11/2013 # ! Neutral (+0.4)

Not to mention that the type of loading is horrible!
    Uses a mechanism that over time the gears wear out, and end up breaking down and leaving locked ..
    In the worst scenario the disc spins misaligned with the mechanics, and ends up scratching or cracked ..
    As with rubber traction, which collect dust and becomes a grinder dvd.
    Already more than late to develop a new model of media.
    Or ultimately improve online distribution.

But all the Sony fanbois said the disk was still the way to go, so you can trade it with your friends.........Microsoft tried something different and people whined. OH well..

01:51 27/11/2013 # ! Good (+0.8)

Ummm, Xbox One still require disk when the time always online policy applied..

Also, PS4 have no problem at all surrounding the disk player, its the Xbox One that have issues.

03:07 27/11/2013 # ! Neutral (+0.4)

a steam type model doesnt need to always be online though. If the xbone wanted to go the digital data route they easily could have without the always online policy.

Comment by tingle
    02:25 27/11/2013 # ! Neutral (0)

I actually would have preferred a steam type model for trading and buying. My choice of a PS4 was not really influence by that.

02:50 28/11/2013 # ! Neutral (0)

@08.49
    Err... What's most inconvenient? Logging in every day, even though, for certain reasons like a shitty net supplier, you might be unable to do so, and you net could actually be down for weeks on end, or just switching a disc?

Fuck, the day people are so lazy they consider switching the game disc to be hard work or tedious, i will facepalm so hard it will echo around the world and leave a giant imprint of my hand in my face.

As for DLC and online pass... That will never stop, because, and here's the breaking news... Microsoft doesn't care about anything but makIng money! Which is why they have online pass in the first place... And the only reason they give away free games to those who suffered the xbone issues is to prevent nerdrage from the small amount of people who still supports them.

@01:51
    That's wrong, installed games no longer required the disc because the daily verification verified your user license was still valid.

AKA you did not trade-in the retail game for cash, while still having a valid copy installed.

All retail games were intended to be available over XBL, as retail editions were just for people with capped/throttled ISPs and collectors wanting disc media.

What a lot of idiots failed to realize is that Microsoft's strategy would have put an end to all this 'new game dlc' & 'online pass' nonsense, which only exists because western developers want a piece of ALL used game sales. You know, the things that devalue your trade-in value and annoy your friends, when you give them your old games. And cannot license transfer your one time activation codes. Another thing which was meant to be transferable, under the system MS had planned for One.

You should get your facts strait before talking out your ass. And when you do, you can curse everyone that were afraid of change and just being trolls.

00:40 27/11/2013 # ! Neutral (0)

This is amusing. I have a 100% failure rate across 15 LiteON drives. Lasting 3 months at best.

03:19 27/11/2013 # ! Neutral (0)

Had one OST disc eaten by a LiteON drive a while back before I could rip it. Thank the interwebs for piracy...

04:06 27/11/2013 # ! Neutral (0)

They must of got a great deal on that shit. Retail wise, the BD-R version of my LG BD-RW only cost a few bucks more than this LiteOn garbage yet my LG has been to hell & back over the last 2 yrs & it haven't gave me any problems whatsoever.

MS dug their own grave with this one.

I would never use a sony drive again either since I had so many of those fail on me (Dell, Acer), but LiteOn is so bad it doesn't even exist for me. It's like all those other mythical uber cheap products that no one actually buys, but end up stuck with some kind of way - like in a laptop or factory desktop - replaced in 60 seconds.

08:54 27/11/2013 # ! Neutral (0)

"I would never use a sony drive again either since I had so many of those fail on me (Dell, Acer), but LiteOn is so bad it doesn't even exist for me."

That's because Sony drives are rebranded LiteON drives.

14:41 27/11/2013 # ! Neutral (0)

I thought so. I never had a sony drive NOT fail on me either. I think they were probably the same all along.

Comment by Rene
    17:32 26/11/2013 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

Welcome to the future of gaming.

Where everyone is so pre-fucking-occupied with getting something out there before a competitor that nothing is checked for quality.

Oh wait, that's been going on for a while in the gaming community. Only now it's full on consoles and not just games.

Lovely!

10:01 27/11/2013 # ! Neutral (0)

MADE IN CHINA

03:19 27/11/2013 # ! Neutral (0)

Well u can say u got grinding music in from the disc drive included with Xbone.

02:47 27/11/2013 # ! Neutral (0)

time to play again with my old NES this time.

02:26 27/11/2013 # ! Neutral (0)

Then don't use HDDs. I mean fuck, It's almost 2014. How the hell do they still not use SSD in those "next gen" machines?

05:59 27/11/2013 # ! Neutral (0)

Do you want another $300 to the price tag for adding that 500GB SSD?

Comment by Imyou
    08:21 27/11/2013 # ! Neutral (0)

Because it's still more important to hold a bunch of games than to load a few games really quickly?

Comment by Theforsakenone
    13:46 27/11/2013 # ! Neutral (0)

microsoft is giving you a free game at least if your system has this problem what has sony done?

15:53 28/11/2013 # ! Neutral (0)

Given us free games each month, given us free games when getting hacked, given us $10 a month for being a customer, upheld the warrenty even when it was expired, and oh yeah, not spied on us and sold our names to the government.

21:22 27/11/2013 # ! Neutral (0)

quit your whining

-yin

20:08 27/11/2013 # ! Neutral (0)

Given away free playstation plus, and thereunder free games to everyone who bought a ps4?

20:50 27/11/2013 # ! Neutral (0)

the price tags where rigged
    (meaning: you cannot change the price by yourself without asking for permission)

20:59 26/11/2013 # ! Neutral (0)

well for once both manufacturers tried to be honest and seem like they didn't screw up too badly for the launch, doesn't mean am gonna buy any of them yet anyway, nothing to play on them and new version will come soon enough anyway..

Comment by Siveria
    21:46 26/11/2013 # ! Neutral (0)

Yeah, these issues is exactly why I am waiting to get a ps4, I have no interest in the inferior and way underpowered xbone myself, ps4 will have the better games in the long run just like ps3 did, and ps2, and ps1, compared to any other console.

I am waiting till a year or more before I get my ps4, for the announced games for the first year there is not one game that looks worth buying, worth pirating maybe, but defently not worth a 60 buck price tag when the game is prob 5-7 hours tops. IMO games on consoles need to have their price reduced, think of it, vita and 3ds games are usually 40 bucks tops, and I am pretty sure those carts are more costly than a blueray disc. There is no real reason why the price seems locked at 60. It should be 40 if that. Most games these days even from AAA devs aren't worth more than 5-10 bucks for how short they are. I kinda feel sorry/laugh at people who bought bioshock infinite. I pirated it and finished it in 7 and a half hours, then deleted it since it had 0 replay value at all. I kinda feel sorry for people who wasted 60 bucks on that. Good game or not, 60 dollars is too much for a game that can be finished in a day or two of semi-casual play.