Sony Threatens Mass Bans for PS3 Pirates

ps3-piracy-ban-threatened-1.jpg

The recent “LV0″ PS3 key leak rapidly led to the PS3 being cracked and a literal “free-for-all” return of full scale piracy to the platform – a situation Sony has chosen to tackle by threatening evil custom firmware users with a ban if they do not delete the wicked software from their consoles.

The missive:

ps3-piracy-ban-threatened-2.png
ps3-piracy-ban-threatened-3.png

Given that it is taken as common sense amongst pirates never to connect their hacked consoles to the PSN, the effectiveness of Sony’s countermeasure has been widely questioned – though with the PS4 expected soon it may be too late for them to savour the victory in any case.

11:57 14/11/2012 # ! Quality (+1.0)

If Sony wasn't such a dick it would be doing better right now.
    Removing Linux and forcing devs to give them PS3 exclusive content does not help the consumers, and they spend more time trying to fight financially harmless cracking(yes it's harmless because studies show cracking does not equal less sales) on the PS3 than making the network and credit card info secure.
    Telling people how to use their hardware, this is why PC is doing better than consoles.
    Sony has not learned from PS3 or Vita, I see a sad future for PS4.

12:02 15/11/2012 # ! Neutral (+0.4)

No wonder why Sony's sales are dropping. Company is a dick and smart consumers are getting tired of getting laced by "Sony Rule"

13:13 14/11/2012 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

You sir are an idiot! Do you know alot of government and legitimate business were using the PS3 to do research for medical purposes? The Linux OS with the power that it could calculate chained together was doing better than computers were!

Sony being the asses they were decided they were not making enough to allow the PS3 to be used for other purposes than gaming and removed the Other OS support. This in itself probably cost a lot of loss time in research because when one died they could no longer replace it legally so the PS3 became a bunch of bricks to the businesses that purchased them for research.

Sony was being asses to remove a featured advertised as that as well as hindering research that could help millions.

15:27 14/11/2012 # ! Neutral (+0.4)

Which the courts should have cracked down upon on and told them "No, you cannot remove this functionality, you have to keep on supporting it forever since you promised it from the beginning!"

Comment by SunnyJ
    10:41 15/11/2012 # ! Neutral (-0.2)

Will never happen. That woudl be like telling Microsoft to support all versions of Windows because they created them, or telling a company that drops it's printer line to focus on it's camera line it must continue working printers. Don't be dumb.

Shit gets dropped all the time Do I blame Sony? Nope.

22:26 14/11/2012 # ! Neutral (0)

PS3 is dated technology, a single ATI produces GPUs capable of more than 4 teraflops of data, more than 4 times what Cell could do and Cell was ALWAYS available in IBM Blade Server configurations.

The only reason PS3s were used were for bragging rights & affordability, due to the fact that Sony was losings money on hardware sales & desperate artificially to build a user base for their failing system.

22:11 15/11/2012 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

Remind me why I can't play Japanese ps2 games on my backward-compatible PS3?

The format of the disks is entirely different you dumb shit, look up the difference between NTSC and PAL before you make another retarded comment like that.

05:09 20/11/2012 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

Actually, you're most likely the "dumb shit" as Japan and the US both use the NTSC format. PAL is for Europe and the chances of the previous Anon being in the US is greater.

However, in the PS2 Era they had region locking that a backwards compatible PS3 still respects despite the PS3 software being mostly region free. The discs are not encoded differently it's just their region key doesn't match the one the PS2 emulation software is asking for.

Do some research before you call someone an idiot next time.

12:18 14/11/2012 # ! Neutral (0)

Never attribute to malice (being a dick) to stupidity

They stupidly thought they could get tax breaks by including Linux support and calling it a computer, but that didn't go through so they (in another stupid move) just dropped Linux support and pissed off some people.

Exclusive content... that's not unheard of in consoles, and that was one thing consoles competed on with each other. I mean, if you want Mario/Zelda/etc... where else to go but Nintendo? Sony might have been stupid to not adapt as multi-platform releases become more common, nor did Sony develop their exclusive content/franchises as well as Nintendo does

12:41 14/11/2012 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

First party games aside, in they past they have demanded exclusive content to even allow third party games to be ported on their system.
    Leaving PS3 players with no game or the other players with a half done game with missing content.
    That kind of stuff doesn't help anyone, it's purely being a dick.

Comment by Char
    12:36 14/11/2012 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

Actually that was nothing new the PS2 had linux so it could be sold as a computer in the UK.

When they took away the other OS you could say they owed the UK government back taxes on those PS3s that were taxed as a computer.

11:16 15/11/2012 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

True, boy I sure hope they don't make this public that they've been defrauding the government, that'd be pretty stup.. oh wait..

15:42 14/11/2012 # ! Neutral (0)

Paying other companies to make exclusive games is entirely different from making your own games and publishing them in-house like Nintendo. Although MS paid for exclusives too, so I don't understand the fingerpointing at Sony.

Comment by Conduit
    06:43 15/11/2012 # ! Neutral (0)

Exactly, paying companies to develop a game exclusively for one system has been common practice since the days of the NES, and every console maker does it.

Theres only two reasons that Sony has trailed the competition this generation.

1. The 360 came out a year before the PS3, allowing it to establish a large installed user base before the PS3 even hit the shelves.

2. The PS3 is reportedly harder to program for, so multiplatform games are often poorly optimized for the PS3, making the games inferior to their 360 counterparts.

10:21 16/11/2012 # ! Neutral (0)

Not a "fanboi", He is correct, google lensoftruth, you will see that Xbox has a lot more games in 1080p that also look sharper.
    Bayonetta is a good example of it's poor image quality but even worse framerates.

Though It seems PS3 does pull ahead in lighting and post processing effects.

Hopefully PS4 won't have such issues and will be top dog.
    Things they need is for 1 MUCH MORE RAM and a much beefier gpu

ah another xbox fanboy

13:23 14/11/2012 # ! Neutral (0)

Indeed, 11:57 14/11/2012 # ! know what hes talking about unlike select numbrer of sony sheep fanboys that has posted nonsese crap in a few posts.

Too bad I cannot vote you ppositive pal.

16:45 14/11/2012 # ! Neutral (0)

At least try to change your writing style when you are faking positive feedback on your comments. It's too obvious.

13:49 17/11/2012 # ! Neutral (0)

Get a fucking account. It isn't hard.

19:14 14/11/2012 # ! Neutral (0)

Hahahaha,

13:23 anpon here

So you dont share the vie, other back the view you dont agree with so your conclusion = faking support comments??

hahaha

12:41 14/11/2012 # ! Neutral (+0.4)

In Soviet Russia your "piracy" is called "communism", Sony.

13:25 14/11/2012 # ! Neutral (0)

Nope, Russia is not communist anymore. But China is.

16:30 14/11/2012 # ! Neutral (+0.4)

China is fascist, not communist.

Comment by Tenno Seremel
    04:05 15/11/2012 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

You are saying it like Russia was [really] communist before.

15:29 14/11/2012 # ! Neutral (0)

No, China isn't communist. They are elitist hiding under the appellation of communist. Get it right.

That's what Russia wants you to believe.

There's no freedom in there.

15:44 14/11/2012 # ! Good (+0.6)

Which has nothing to do with Communism.

15:12 14/11/2012 # ! Neutral (0)

Da, tovarishch. We drink vodka all day, because we have winter 365/year, and ride to work on bears, to watch over you 24/7. Oh yeah!

Comment by Dan Hibiki
    09:56 14/11/2012 # ! Good (+0.3)

Dear Sony,

Give Up.

Sincerely,
    Everybody

Comment by warjoke
    21:04 14/11/2012 # ! Neutral (0)

Dear Everybody

Screw you, We have Kratos!

Sincerely
    Sony

17:06 14/11/2012 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

i only pay for good games, same with music

16:46 14/11/2012 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

I have a ps3 with a dead blu ray drive, makes sense to pirate with it.

I just want it for playing all the JP games that don't make it here, since I don't understand the language it doesn't make much sense for me to buy a game I might not be able to play especially since they usually cost more then normal.

When I do eventually learn the language, then ill consider buying legit copies.

21:29 14/11/2012 # ! Neutral (0)

True... Sony could make a KILLING if they localized all games. Same thing for game companies: Localize all your games in Japanese, English and Spanish. You will make a KILLING.

18:53 14/11/2012 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

I lost all respect for PlayStation when they established that Backwards Compatibility was a no go on the new system. To this day I STILL don't own a PS3 and don't wish to own one.

However, I have been carefully watching for a workable PS3 Emulator for the PC/Mac (I can go either way). With the Level 0 Keys cracked, I figure that it's only a matter of time before PS3 games can be played via PC. And yes, I don't think that there are any PS3 games that would make me want to access the PSN anyways. If I want to play an Online Game with my pals, I'm happy to resort to the cheaper alternative with STEAM and/or Free-to-Play MMOs like Fantasy Earth Zero and Mabinogi Heroes...

I have the PlayStation 2, PlayStation ONE, Wii/GameCube, PSP, GameBoy Advance/Nintendo DS... (Most of the Older Consoles)... I'm sure I could continue.... but all of these are working Emulators on my computer. The only ones I'm missing are: Xbox/Xbox360 and PS3. Once I have that, I'm done. I can just buy GAMES... Yes. I am honest enough to at least BUY the games (So long as they are still current and can be run on my computer.---Wii games are an exception, I still buy the game, but then convert the data because the disc cannot used on a MacBook Pro for "Security Reasons".

Guys, now that you have the Lvl 0 Keys, hurry up with that emulator!

05:25 15/11/2012 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

HAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAAHHHAHAHAHAHA

Oh sorry, did I laugh?

05:01 15/11/2012 # ! Neutral (0)

Maybe you can give them a few tips on how to emulate the PS3's cell processor on a home computer.

05:46 15/11/2012 # ! Neutral (0)

Chances are his current PC/Mac wouldn't be able to run the emulator anyway.

He'd end up having to spend more cash on a more powerful PC just to run a faulty, slow emulator than he would spend on a PS3. What's the fucking point.

Mac user logic I guess.

13:33 15/11/2012 # ! Neutral (0)

No, the logic of people who wish to control their own purchases and don't see the point of paying 20 dollars for a 10 year old game just because it is 'hard to find'.... unless you download game ISO's.

14:31 15/11/2012 # ! Neutral (0)

"Control their own purchases"

Yeah, let's buy a PC able to handle an emulator for 10 times the price of a new PS3. Now I'm in control of my expenses!

Besides, he said he buys the games he emulates, so your argument is invalid. Unless you're him, then you kinda contradict yourself.

11:31 17/11/2012 # ! Neutral (0)

No, my argument is not invalid, to be blunt.

I was talking about OTHER people besides him, you obsequious nitwit.

03:54 15/11/2012 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

Considering last time they pretty much held themselves hostage and started removing ps3 features in order to get piracy to stop...

06:46 16/11/2012 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

lower the price of the game , and ur profit will jump sky high and it will be not worth Pirating .
    but it's just the crazy me .

Comment by Demi-Rebel 72
    04:19 15/11/2012 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

Huh, it's funny as hell that Sony gets pissed off when hackers do mods to the PS3s that THEY bought & try to sue or ban them. But, they don't do shit to any of the hackers that invade their PS Home service & skull-fuck the shit out of it by constantly freezing the server & stealing sensitive information from other PS3 owners. And then when people tell Sony about these problems, they reply with "We'll investigate into it" which they don't. Causing those same people to Hack & Mod their PS3s as retaliation for Sony's terrible ass Customer Service. You see the loop here in this? Because that's what's happening with Sony right now.

Comment by jr2nd
    10:59 15/11/2012 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

sony = dumb...

as IF pirates care about being "Banned"

01:45 15/11/2012 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

Broken optical drive is a good justification for that. My PSP's optical drive went south pretty quickly after warranty died so I had no choice but to go pirate so I could use it. Anyone with a working optical drive would be crazy not to move over to playing games off the HDD only and leaving the optical drive always idle. I was very happy when the Wii was hacked and I was able to move all my games over to an external USB drive.

01:25 15/11/2012 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

>Implying I want to connect to your network while playing muh glorious pirated gaemz

Comment by Riiku
    01:01 15/11/2012 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

I'm OK with piracy because I'm gonna pirate games I would never have bought otherwise. I have the money, but those games are so mediocre it's not worth to buy them. Pirating them is another matter

23:22 14/11/2012 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

I am thinking of buying a ps3 just b ecause games are piratable now, the console doesn't havemuch to offer that I can't play on the pc anyway, oh, and about the PS Network? I'd just not connect the ps3 to the internet at all, I'd never use the service anyway. Never used it on the x360 either when I used to have one

18:22 14/11/2012 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

i hope sony bans me, then i can stop buying games on the ps3