Top 10 Anime Songs of 2010

mayoi-neko-overrun-bikini-fumino.jpg

Japanese anime fans surveyed as to what the best anime songs of 2010 were display their usual less than discerning taste, although with several newcomers managing to snatch the laurels from K-ON!’s inevitable chart domination.

The ranking and the songs themselves can be inspected below.

The ranking:

1. Happy New Nya (Mayoi Neko Overrun)

2. Shinryaku no Susume (Shinryaku! Ika Musume)

3. NO, Thank You! (K-ON!!)

4. Utauyo!! MIRACLE (K-ON!!)

5. My Soul, Your Beats! (Angel Beats!)

6. GO! GO! MANIAC (K-ON!!)

7. Listen!! (K-ON!!)

8. Hikari no Senritsu (Sora no Woto)

9. Irony (Ore no Imouto)

10. Crow Song (Angel Beats!)

Many were surprised that “Happy New Nya” even made it to the top ten, let alone topping the chart in defiance of K-ON!

Comment by Phenie
    17:52 11/12/2010 # ! Quality (+1.0)

That is a very strange #1.

I mean, it's cute but I'd never think it would be rated as the best song of the year...

Comment by Exia
    15:28 12/12/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

I think it was voted #1 because of the constant nyaa's in the song. I would've picked something else tho.

Comment by Shippoyasha
    18:00 11/12/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

I think the lesson here is: "Never underestimate seiyuu songs"

Comment by Yoshii-kun
    18:21 11/12/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

List looks weird tho...
    Something's missing....

Comment by Shippoyasha
    20:16 11/12/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

I know it starts with the "P" letter.

Comment by Arcadiac
    Comment by GANTZ Playboy!
    19:01 11/12/2010 # ! Good (+0.7)

I agree. I loved the "B Geta H Kei", the "Bleach ops" and even "Occult Academy's" open more than most of these.

I liked "Go Go Maniac" but that's about it.

21:24 11/12/2010 # ! Neutral (+0.4)

Yes, Occult Academy's OP was way stronger than any of these.

Comment by Navi
    17:50 11/12/2010 # ! Good (+0.6)

Somewhat of a boring list. To much K-ON. Surprised at the 1st place choice.

18:48 11/12/2010 # ! Quality (+1.0)

seems people misunderstood the question. And voted for their favorite anime songs (which doesn't necessarily need to be good), rather than voting for the actual songs.

Comment by Eddyak
    02:05 12/12/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Agreed. Most people seem to forget that whilst their favourite moeblobs can sing, their songs aren't all that good.

08:13 13/12/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Ehh agreed srly boring list, whats up with them choosing such songs when there are better and all from moe at that(well almost) =_=

Comment by styx0202
    18:02 11/12/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

same

Comment by NakkiNyan
    01:46 12/12/2010 # ! Quality (+0.8)

Disappointing, there were much better in-anime songs than this.

#1 #2 #4 #7 are just annoying, I think all fail at being a "great song" no matter if they were good they were not top 10 material.

#6 and #8 were ok but not great, neither should have been "top 10".

#3, NO, Thank You!, one of the few OP/ED songs this year that I actually considered great on it's own merits. It was also not out to mimic a character, it is not a song you would have heard in the show itself.

#5 My Soul, Your Beats! should have been the Yui version, guitar version, much better if you are going to compare the 2. Both were good.

#9 Irony is actually decent for an OP, most OPs failed this year.

#10 Crow Song, was quite good but was not an OP or ED which is a plus.

I think too many were chosen for the anime they came from not their own merits which is why I think 1 & 2 got their places so high in the list.

Comment by Misakite
    01:29 12/12/2010 # ! Quality (+0.8)

Huhh... I kind of half-expected The World God Only Knows's theme song to make it up there somehow.

I mean, the song itself is a pretty new concept in terms of anime OP, and I like it.

Comment by Omega Direx
    01:50 12/12/2010 # ! Good (+0.4)

Gonna agree with Misakite. The World God Only Knows theme has something good about it. The long version is very weak compared to the TV size, though.

01:35 12/12/2010 # ! Neutral (+0.4)

Wow...Happy New Nya is so...bleh and terrible...perhaps even for a boring variety show OP it'd fit?

where's delicious God Only Knows or No Buts?

21:13 11/12/2010 # ! Neutral (+0.4)

clearly if you want to be the best you have to either add cat noises or squid puns to your music.

Comment by Yoshii-kun
    18:24 11/12/2010 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

Vippers at it again?

@Navi
    Truer words were never spoken

01:38 12/12/2010 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

not really there was a concept pretty close to World God Only knows involving a group of space cadets and a space ship fighting against a evil empire and the name seems to slip my tongue but it's a close opening but voted one of the best of all time so eh.

Comment by NakkiNyan
    02:06 12/12/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

I really like how the song starts but it falls apart after, I am not surprised the song as a whole is meh.

03:20 12/12/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

stardriver, index and nurarihyon op's sound more like top ten material to me.some of these crap but definitely not 3,5,9.

Comment by Kwonnie
    15:47 12/12/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Where the fuck is To Aru MnI's second OP? -.-

15:28 12/12/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Totally
    And
    Utterly
    Fucked
    Up

In mean time...
    EPIC FAIL!!

08:10 12/12/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

I dont get how 5 is different from Clannad After story template ? though I was sure TWGOK OP would make it, or atleast the good part

Comment by Wisteria Berlitz
    18:43 11/12/2010 # ! Neutral (-0.2)

@Navi,agreed
    but too much K-ON is never a bad thing

Comment by PewPewPew!

Now that was something you wouldn't expect.

Ore no Imouto = refreshing song so quite plausible, Sora no Woto = also plausible, Angels Beats got girl band = somehow it has to be there, K-ON!! = got girl band = definitely got vibes it's gonna be in, Mayoi Neko Overrun/Shinryaku! Ika Musume = suprise?!?

ALL HAIL K-ON!!

Comment by Kaarme
    19:53 11/12/2010 # ! Neutral (-0.1)

I'm surprised somebody actually managed to find music in K-ON. Commendable detective work.

Comment by Dokiash
    20:39 11/12/2010 # ! Neutral (-0.2)

yeah, too much K-on :|

Comment by Naison
    06:23 12/12/2010 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

I personally thought Index II's opening should have been in there. Or maybe Durarara's.

Comment by Shippoyasha
    17:52 11/12/2010 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

I rather like a lot of these songs, but there were SO MANY more artistic, somber tunes out there.

I find it funny that they showed Sora no Woto and they didn't even vote for the truly astounding OP of the show:

And Letter bee's OP/EDs has been consistently been awesome as well. Very somber tunes at that.

I guess the voters loved the cutesy, idol-esque pop stuff.

Comment by Duolis
    23:16 11/12/2010 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

Didn't they list Hikari no Senritsu? That's the OP of Sora no Woto. I think Artefact used the wrong link instead.

Comment by Hatsune Miku
    03:47 12/12/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Too much of one anime on there, I was expecting more opening songs from other animes as well...

22:43 12/12/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Happy New Nya should be #1 in the "10 Worst Anime Songs of 2010"...

18:44 11/12/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

This is more of music popularity contest...and K-ON seems to come to everyone's mind. IMO, K-ON really doesn't display any accurate depiction of what music is. It's just a moe-blob that has some music thrown in. A more varied list would have been better, rather than just a K-ON popularity contest....

00:06 12/12/2010 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

I agree with you. I would have enjoyed K-ON more if I had not seen Beck first. I did finish the series and I can see why it's so popular... but it's so formulaic.

22:33 11/12/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

HAHA so many K-ON songs and none got #1. Funny really.

Neko Over run is on my list of things to watch

01:27 12/12/2010 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

No, you.....really don't want to watch Mayoi Neko Overrun. It sucks so much it's sad.

Although the saddest thing is how you want to watch it just because the OP is ranked higher than the K-ON! songs.

I'd ignore that, I watched it and while it's not going to wow you with storyline, it's still fairly enjoyable :)

Comment by John Hayabusa
    17:51 11/12/2010 # ! Neutral (-0.1)

It's official: K-ON! OWNS this year!

Comment by caiooa
    22:18 11/12/2010 # ! Good (+0.6)

sorry, but in sales of bluray eva 2.2 continue to own this year. Thank you for playing.

03:05 12/12/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Music wise maybe, but ill still take any Macross F song over that entire series

17:56 11/12/2010 # ! Neutral (-0.2)

Dunno bout you guys but I seriously agree with the list by almost a hundred percent. o.O

For Sora no Woto they should've just placed Girl's Be Ambitious~ :/

1 and 2 are upbeat fun and catchy so I ain't that surprised at them being the top 2.

The rest of the list made it cuz of their awesomeness.

K-ON! Music and Angel Beats? Of course they'll be in the list.

Irony's place seems right.. maybe a place higher?

Comment by Shippoyasha
    18:30 11/12/2010 # ! Good (+0.4)

Yoshii-kun, what the heck do you mean by 'finally deserve recognition'??

Kalafina was awesome the day Yuki Kajiura created it.

Comment by Yoshii-kun
    01:10 12/12/2010 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

Implying their works aren't exactly mainstream but awesome in their own way, which some spotlight is finally granted.

And hey, I'm on the same side with Kajiura here.
    Don't need to go hostile with friendlies ;)

Comment by Zwars
    23:46 11/12/2010 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

yep, wrong link, use this one Artefact! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L7eOd_huWck

Comment by Yoshii-kun
    18:16 11/12/2010 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

No love for Kalafina i see....
    Even when they finally deserve some recognition...

Comment by Eleriel
    02:21 12/12/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

"Btw, the youtube link for Sora no Woto isn't Hikari no Senritsu, isn't it? =/"

nope. very not hikari no senritsu.

Comment by Duolis
    23:15 11/12/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Hikari no Senritsu shouldn't be on the 8th place. I thought it should be higher.

Btw, the youtube link for Sora no Woto isn't Hikari no Senritsu, isn't it? =/

Comment by Neonie
    17:54 11/12/2010 # ! Good (+0.5)

I don't totally disagree, thought I wish some of the Panty and Stocking stuff was on there. D City rock especially.

PnSwG has taku of m-flo and none of his remixes (Fly Away Now, I Want You and Anarchy) even made it in??? I AM OUTRAEG!!!

Comment by VillainousHanacha
    18:58 11/12/2010 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

Although awesome, the P&S OST hasn't come out yet. All the songs here are.