Sankaku Complex Forums » Anime

1. http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2010-03-05/funimation-addresses-dance-in-the-vampire-bund-edits

FUNimation Entertainment is known for releasing the titles we license in their original, uncut form, as their creators intended. However, after viewing the unedited as well as the Japanese broadcast edit of the series Dance in the Vampire Bund, we have determined the series contains controversial elements which, when taken out of context, could be objectionable to some audiences.

With this in mind and with approval of the licensor, we will edit select scenes from the series in streaming and home entertainment release. These are scenes which are inappropriate for U.S. viewing and are not essential to the storyline.

Dance in the Vampire Bund is a complex and dark drama cited by press and fans as one of the best anime series out of Japan this season. Its strong story is what brought the series to our attention and why we are bringing it to the U.S.

Can we get this on the front page, please?

Posted 7 years ago #
  2. Meh, dont really care, if people already watching the sub and uncensored
    why would they care what funimation puts out.

Posted 7 years ago #
  3. Another reason why there is no point in professional subs. Go back to your fansubs everybody. Nothing to see here.

It is also ridiculous for them to dictate what is appropriate for America, supposedly the land of the free. I guess it was appropriate enough for them to jack off to it in their private viewing for determining its appropriateness.

Posted 7 years ago #
  4. well this is bs but it figures after chris handley.

Posted 7 years ago #
  5. Fiona said:
    Another reason why there is no point in professional subs. Go back to your fansubs everybody. Nothing to see here.

It is also ridiculous for them to dictate what is appropriate for America, supposedly the land of the free. I guess it was appropriate enough for them to jack off to it in their private viewing for determining its appropriateness.

^ THIS!

Posted 7 years ago #
  6. I just lost the little (and I mean little) respect I had left for Funi. Don't they realize that the reason there is so much support for fansubs is because they pull bullshit like this? Who the hell are they to tell us that it's too "inappropriate" for the US? This is why the only people who support the dub industry are bible-humping moralfags.

Posted 7 years ago #
  7. *sigh*

I can understand not wanting to show some stuff- like Mina's nude ballet in the opener, or the shade gel application scene. But I don't get why they don't release two editions. I haven't seen anything in the anime more offensive than Strike Witches "Nice 'n Breezy" episode, which is supposedly getting released in the US uncensored. (on that note, I jsut watched the Strike Witches episode 2 dub... wtf? How'd they screw up the dub that bad? I had such high hopes after Spice and Wolf)

Now I'm torn. Bund is one that I really want a hardcopy of, but I don't think I want to support censorship. Hopefully someone will insert English subs into the japanese DVDs.

Also...

when taken out of context

Seriously? They're removing it because they don't want it taken out of context? They should just be telling douchebags who take shit out of context to go to hell, not censoring.

Posted 7 years ago #
  8. sifian said:
    (on that note, I jsut watched the Strike Witches episode 2 dub... wtf? How'd they screw up the dub that bad? I had such high hopes after Spice and Wolf)

Is it really that bad? From what I've heard, the Strike Witches dub is really good.

Posted 7 years ago #
  9. My biggest concern is the way Mio Sakamoto is voiced; I cannot accept her as a military commander. Miyafuji also has that grating "I wanna be a japanese schoolgirl too" voice that so few american voice actresses can pull off. Luchinni is canonically younger sounds much more like a young teenager, which is how they should have done the casting for most of the girls, then the commanders should have been a little sterner than that.

You know something's a little off when your first impression of a moe anime is, "Hey, the men sound really good."
    The Episode in Question:
    http://www4.funimation.com/video/?page=video&v=4481

Posted 7 years ago #
  10. About the uncensored subbed version of vampire bund... who subs it, or where can i find the torrents for it... all i ever see are the censored ones.

Posted 7 years ago #
  11. so they want to release dvd version and still censor them -_-
    I mean can't they only put a censor lock on it(say that it has such censorship) and warn with ages that if you want to unlock this you have to be this age and what the content has,so you input a code to see the uncensored version.

Also i wonder if they are gonna warn this,we have censored this anime by editing out scenes of it.I mean they have the right to know it's censored on the box or do they?

Posted 7 years ago #
  12. Avatar Image

GTR

H-Ero said:

Is it really that bad? From what I've heard, the Strike Witches dub is really good.

ignore the detractors

dub for witches is good

i think lucchini sounds good and bishop doesn't sound like a 4 year old

Barkhorn needs more improvement

and btw when is ep 3-4 dub gonna come out???

Posted 7 years ago #
  13. i must ask a question.
    What if you like the anime and want to support it's creators by buying this anime.Yet you will then still decide to download a fansub fully uncensored dvd version.
    Would you find that acceptable?
    We all don't like anykind of censorship anyway.But just wanted to ask this.

Posted 7 years ago #
  14. Avatar Image

GTR

Fonzer said:
    i must ask a question.
    What if you like the anime and want to support it's creators by buying this anime.Yet you will then still decide to download a fansub fully uncensored dvd version.
    Would you find that acceptable?
    We all don't like anykind of censorship anyway.But just wanted to ask this.

Funi is dumb for picking up this series... were they not paying attention to Handley's case??? Because of Handley, everything can now be taken out of context!

They were doing good... they had a good business model (complete anime in slim box) and they sell quality anime for reasonable price. Now they're gonna be nailed on the cross because of that vampire shit.

oh btw, i sold all my anime dvds, mangas and artbook.
    my time for otaku activity is almost diminished
    i'll probably get back to "normal" levels once japan starts making more normal anime without rellying too much on moe and loli

Posted 7 years ago #
  15. If they really go through with this, (rather than growing a pair like Mangagamer) I'll more likely buy official merchandise. That way the producers still get some money and I don't have to support the bullshit they're spouting right now.

Unless they do pull off a superb dub- then it might be worth it. But I'll probably be even pickier about Bund than I am about most anime.

Also, I might be forgiving if it truly is minimal- like they remove the frame where Akira is applying shade gel to Mina's chest. But if it's every scene where Mina is unclad, then that'd kill it. Or the shotacon content- that's a hell of a lot spicier than the lolicon content, and more important to the story.

GTR said:
    ignore the detractors
    dub for witches is good
    i think lucchini sounds good and bishop doesn't sound like a 4 year old

Yeah, I meant Lucchini sounded good- I didn't mean that her sounding older than her age was a bad thing. On second impression, it's not bad. It's one of those times when preconception and execution not lining up making it seem worse than it actually is. I still don't like how they did it, but I'll accept them as reasonable interpretations of the characters.

Posted 7 years ago #
  16. GTR said:

Funi is dumb for picking up this series... were they not paying attention to Handley's case??? Because of Handley, everything can now be taken out of context!

They were doing good... they had a good business model (complete anime in slim box) and they sell quality anime for reasonable price. Now they're gonna be nailed on the cross because of that vampire shit.

oh btw, i sold all my anime dvds, mangas and artbook.
    my time for otaku activity is almost diminished
    i'll probably get back to "normal" levels once japan starts making more normal anime without rellying too much on moe and loli

interesting,seen this and some other articles that are interesting there and the question is if new anime suck: http://www.japanator.com/does-new-anime-suck-no-just-your-perception-does--13800.phtml
    Anyway in the end it always comes down to vote with your valet.
    Oh and did you totaly stop watching anime?
    Like you don't watch anymore at all?

Posted 7 years ago #
  17. what does your valet got to do with anything? I mean, seriously, he just parks your car and that's it

Posted 7 years ago #
  18. he meant walet ya know. Though i'm assuming you id.BTW sry for any typos using i/e on xp and the windows are shit for text it looks like likkle ant footprints.

Posted 7 years ago #
  19. This is disappointing though not entirely unexpected. I wish funi didn't fall for the moral trap. There goes any chance of kodomo no jikan, not that the chance was very high to begin with.

Posted 7 years ago #
  20. Avatar Image

GTR

Now because of this little controversy, do you think it's worth my time to watch this anime? If it tries very hard to be like arthouse-type of show then fugget about it.

Posted 7 years ago #

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.