Sankaku Complex Forums » General

OpenSky - Jet Propelled Wing

1. Avatar Image

Kip

I remember hearing about this about two or three years ago.
    It's too bad nothing more has come of this. I'd really like to see this become the next mode of human transportation.

Essentially, a group of engineering students worked to create a flying version of one of the jet-propelled glider wings, or "moewe", seen in the Miyazaki film, NausicaƤ of the Valley of the Wind (Kaze no Tani no Naushika).

Here is a non-functioning model of one of the wings that is a part of the Ghibli museum:

And here is a video showing one of the working craft the students created:

The design bears a striking, and intentional, resemblance to the moewe (which is the German word for seagull, BTW).

The project is called OpenSky 2.0. You can read more here, there are a few more movies and pictures there too.

As the project website indicates, the project was endorsed by Ghibli Studios, but the group making the glider turned them down in case there was an accident or serious injury.

A jet was built for the glider, but I have not heard if it was ever installed.

Posted 8 years ago # Quote
  2. 2004. That's when I first heard about this thing. It was way smaller back then, 1/2 scale i think, and it was self-propelled. It sure has changed a bit since.

http://www.petworks.co.jp/~hachiya/movie/moewe1_2test02.mov

Attachments

1. 20040221-moewe.jpg 8 years old
    2. nausicaa.jpg 8 years old
  3. Avatar Image

Kip

dingo said:
    2004. That's when I first heard about this thing. It was way smaller back then, 1/2 scale i think, and it was self-propelled. It sure has changed a bit since.

Ah, that was OpenSky I then.
    The newer, larger verssion became OS 2.0.

4. And then it becomes OSS :D

5. very interesting. from what i understood in the movie the wing was powered by wind wasn't it? and was probably made from the fragments of some creature or other providing an ultra light yet sturdy material. what does that prototype run on? and what is inside the intake? a super small turbine?

6. Avatar Image

Kip

DHYohko said:
    very interesting. from what i understood in the movie the wing was powered by wind wasn't it? and was probably made from the fragments of some creature or other providing an ultra light yet sturdy material. what does that prototype run on? and what is inside the intake? a super small turbine?

Yes, this prototype was powered by wind.
    The group built a jet for it but didn't use it on the test flights in case it got damaged, and to see what it could do by its own capabilities.
    I imagine the jet would have gone inside the intake if the project continued.

You must log in to post.