Sankaku Complex Forums » General

1. While I was at the Tube' searching for a vid of Jackie Chan's cosplay of Chun Li for her birthday thread, I took some time to watch a couple of Jackie Chan-related vid links. Hence, the inspiration for this thread (arigatou, Penance-san for mentioning Chun Li's "cameo" in a Jackie film).
    I also thought of making this thread open for general discussion and contribution of martial arts and related stunt materials, armed or unarmed, instead of limiting it to just Jackie Chan, as there are many other great martial artists who made their names in the movies, Bruce Lee, Chuck Norris,Tony Jaa, to name a few.

What this thread DO welcome:-
    1) Jaw-dropping, heart-stopping, adrenaline-pumping, gut-cringing, rectum-contracting, sh*t-inducing raw martial arts fight materials and related stunts!
    2) General martial arts discussion.
    3) Fights or stunts involving wireworks and mysticism (Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon, Prince of Persia, Indiana Jones) are acceptable as long as there are elements of martial arts or acts of great athleticism in them.
    4) Slapstick or fight parodies 4tehLULz such as THIS and THIS to lighten up the thread.

What this thread DO NOT welcome:-
    1) Evil Knievel and all those stunts. No, no lame circus acts here, folks.
    2) David Blaine and all those hocus pocus. No, no magic tricks either.
    3) Fear Factor, Whipeout, Takeshi's Castle, yadda yadda... Seriously?

So, I shall start the ball rolling with Jackie Chan.

Though he gained global recognition from starring in Hollywood films, the gist of his talent stems from his early days in Chinese movies. Here are the Jackie vids I found done and narrated by the Nerd himself, James "Angry Video Game Nerd" Rolfe.

The following lists James' top 10 Jackie Chan's fight scenes. DAMN, it makes me wanna watch those movies over and over and over again.

http://www.cinemassacre.com/2008/05/06/top-ten-jackie-chan-fights/

The following lists James' top 10 Jackie Chan's stunts.
    WARNING!!! The following vid may not be too graphic to watch, but it will make your stomach, skin, bones, muscles, eyes, ears, brain or even your hair cringe watching the punishment Jackie Chan takes for the sake of our movie enjoyment.
    http://www.cinemassacre.com/2008/03/18/top-ten-jackie-chan-stunts/

And yet, after all that, he still walks among us to tell his tales.
    A lot of his moves aren't really martial arts per se, as they are simply displays of great athleticism, agility and acrobatics, improvisation of props, his surroundings and situational scenarios, and a little screw loose in the head. Martial arts are truly fleshed out in direct confrontations with the opponents.
    Though he is still involved in the showbiz, thank sanity he has retired from actively performing stunts and fight scenes. Truly, Jackie Chan >>> Chuck Norris × 9001.

JACKIE CHAN
    (7th April 1954 – Still kicking everyone's @$$!)

[Thursday, 3-Mar-2011, 4:08am JST]

Posted 6 years ago # Quote
  2. This movie kicks lots of ass. Lots Lots Lots!

3. I'm loving these types of threads.

seriously.

4. before the norris there was....

The Dragon!

Attachments

1. bruce-lee.jpg 6 years old
  5. unsung said:
    before the norris there was....

The Dragon!

And after The DRAGON, but before the Norris, there was....

THE CROW!

Attachments

1. crow_brandon_lee_6[1].jpg 6 years old
  6. I saw what you did there

But there can only be one!

Attachments

1. highlander.jpg 6 years old
  7. Does this count?

8. Most amazing martial arts stunt ever?

9. Posted 6 years ago # Quote
  10. Awesome thread. Jackie's one of my favorite movie stars. I downloaded a huge torrent a few weeks ago of every Jackie Chan movie ever made.

Here's an epic fight scene from a fairly recent movie Ip Man.

11. Donnie Yen, considered the "it" star in the martial arts scene right now, played the titular role of Wing Chun martial arts master, Yip Man in "Ip Man", the film the clip motaku96 posted, belongs to.

One of his most notable acts is his breakthrough role as the main antagonist in "Once upon a Time in China II" which includes the final showdown with the main protagonist played by Jet Li.

No, that was NOT the final showdown scene, but merely the first meeting between Donnie Yen and Jet Li's characters.

THIS is the final showdown scene. Heh...
    WARNING!!! SPOILERS!!!

Neko_musume said:
    This movie kicks lots of ass. Lots Lots Lots!

Ah, Jet Li. How could I have forgotten...
    While Jackie Chan impresses audiences with his monkey-like agility and insane stunts, pound-for-pound, Jet Li's mastery of various martial art styles and complete dominance in direct confrontation cements his place as one of the most gifted martial arts talent the world has ever seen.

The films that demonstrates the greatest extent of Jet Li's skills would be the "Once Upon a Time in China" series where he portrays the role of legendary martial artist, Wong Fei Hung. Throw in all the fighters plus the kitchen sink before the final confrontation with the main antagonist, and @$$es will be kicked, HARD.

travtrav said:
    Does this count?

Yes, this does, though the producer, director and star of Kung Fu Hustle, Stephen Chow, is a comedian first and foremost, Kung Fu Hustle is his comedic take on the martial arts film genre. Good for laughs.

[Saturday, 5-Mar-2011, 2:00pm JST]

12. My fans are really big fans of the "Ong Bak" movie. Supposedly a great demonstration of muay thai. I haven't seen it myself though. Just this scene they showed me.

13. Posted 6 years ago # Quote
  14. >

15. motaku96 said:
    My fans are really big fans of the "Ong Bak" movie. Supposedly a great demonstration of muay thai. I haven't seen it myself though. Just this scene they showed me.

Tony Jaa, a martial art talent of tremendous athleticism and robust physique, demonstrates one of the most physically-demanding and brutal forms of martial arts, Muay Thai, with a generous mix of acrobatic prowess, swift moves and physically-punishing lunges and charges.

Tony Jaa's performances caught the attention of Jackie Chan who invited him for a role in "Rush Hour 3", but Tony's involvement did not materialize due to other film commitment.

His starring roles are few but by no means unexemplary of his skills.

[Tuesday, 8-Mar-2011, 5:09am JST]

16. I'm a huge fan of MMA.
    Anthony "Showtime" Pettis makes an awesome move with Ben "Bendo" Henderson, which is an upset (for me) and a really fascinating one.
    Doing it in real time, while in a match, is really impossible plus the awesome factor. Oh god, where do I start?

Regarding Martial Arts movies, I'm also fond of them. Just that I only go for movies that are newly released. I don't like digging up old movies but If I can watch it somewhere, I'm pretty sure I'll be aroused.

17. this thread is delicious.
    there's only one thing needed...

motaku96 said:
    a huge torrent a few weeks ago of every Jackie Chan movie ever made.

18. It's pretty easy to find. Just google Jackie chan torrents. It's on pirate bay. The one that says 1971-2008. It's the largest I could find anyway.

19. Obsidian said:
    I'm a huge fan of MMA.
    Anthony "Showtime" Pettis makes an awesome move with Ben "Bendo" Henderson, which is an upset (for me) and a really fascinating one.
    Doing it in real time, while in a match, is really impossible plus the awesome factor. Oh god, where do I start?

Regarding Martial Arts movies, I'm also fond of them. Just that I only go for movies that are newly released. I don't like digging up old movies but If I can watch it somewhere, I'm pretty sure I'll be aroused.

Welcome to my post from 5 days ago u pigeon rapist.

20. bleak said:
    Welcome to my post from 5 days ago u pigeon rapist.

psst

obsidian is a mod~

lol~

Reply »

You must log in to post.