Sankaku Complex Forums » General

1. Avatar Image

Nin

This is exactly why it's a good thing that anime isn't too big in the west yet. They'll spend all their effort on music for now.

Posted 7 years ago # Quote
  2. TeeHee said:
    Yup, "Big Sis" Janet Napolitano is at it again.

http://thehill.com/blogs/hillicon-valley/technology/130763-homeland-security-dept-seizes-domain-names

QUESTION: IIRC isn't the "ICE" agency the immigration police? how do they have jurisdiction over copyright law violations?

3. Hmm well it is not good news, but, it at least shows that the powers that be are at least aware they are in a hard ball playing reality.

Just will mean everyone and his uncle will be seeking shores that don't care.

Sure glad I am not an American.

Going to be brutal on torrent sites based in the US.

4. First a Christmas terror plot that was as fake as a plastic ficus and now this bullshit.
    DHS wasting your tax dollars and pissing on your fun since 2002.
    Get this $15 Billion in failed contracts.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_Department_of_Homeland_Security

5. unsung said:

QUESTION: IIRC isn't the "ICE" agency the immigration police? how do they have jurisdiction over copyright law violations?

Power grab.

6. TeeHee said:
    Power grab.

if this kind of shit keeps happening we'll start having a bunch of agencies over stepping their grounds in all directions then in an effort to "make things easier" they'll merge into one super agency and have almost undisputed authority over the country's policing activities (Spanish inquisition anyone?) and begin to look more and more like a bureaucratic surveillance society (even though we're at that point already) and less like a democracy

7. unsung said:

if this kind of shit keeps happening we'll start having a bunch of agencies over stepping their grounds in all directions then in an effort to "make things easier" they'll merge into one super agency and have almost undisputed authority over the country's policing activities (Spanish inquisition anyone?) and begin to look more and more like a bureaucratic surveillance society (even though we're at that point already) and less like a democracy

This shit needs to be nipped in the bud and the roots dug out now.

8. Avatar Image

GTR

yeah who needs COICA if DHS can just seize sites from ICANN

9. sorry to break the consistent ignorance of sankaku but it happens and is happening all over the world.
    http://torrentfreak.com/

/continue retardation.

10. Char said:
    This shit needs to be nipped in the bud and the roots dug out now.

yes i agree other-wise it will spiral into a gov. gone mad from their lust for undisputed power

GTR said:
    yeah who needs COICA if DHS can just seize sites from ICANN

black hole theory: some (if not most) agencies are made up just so the gov. has an excuse to spend x-amount of dollars when in truth said money is funneled from these puppet agencies and into the "select few" who "rule the rulers" of the country

also: it should be noted that the people who work for these puppet groups aren't even aware of what is it their group truly does much less even aware of what's really going on behind the doors that "don't exist"

Vicious said:
    sorry to break the consistent ignorance of sankaku but it happens and is happening all over the world.
    http://torrentfreak.com/

/continue retardation.

VICIOUS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    WHERE THE FUCK HAVE YOU BEEN MISTER?! EXPLAIN NAO! >_<' /end lulz

11. I'm surprised they are going after the provider of torrents for once instead of the individual who pirates things. Don't companies get more money suing individuals?

12. Avatar Image

GTR

unsung said:

QUESTION: IIRC isn't the "ICE" agency the immigration police?

That would be the old INS (Immigration & Naturalization Service)

how do they have jurisdiction over copyright law violations?

in 2003 INS was consolidated with US Customs Investigators, Federal Protective Service and Federal Air Marshal Service to form Immigration and CUSTOMS ENFORCEMENT

"do they have jurisdiction over copyright law violations?"
    - Yes they do now.

also, ICE has played a key role in investigating and arresting citizens suspected of possessing and distributing CP (2D and 3D). Because a vast majority of CP is produced in foreign countries, ICE special agents utilize their authority to investigate persons and groups that traffic in this type of contraband, the importation of which via mail or internet constitute violations of customs laws (remember Chris Handley?)

13. Yeah, Seizing down Websites is totally gonna help reduce unemployment, haha.

14. unsung said:

well, if such a thing were to happen it would be you guyses fault.

you guys are simply trading your freedom for convenience. man is not free by nature; for most of our history we have been suffering under some form of tyranny - indeed, even today much of the world is still not free.

if you guys don't fight for your freedom, then, well, you'll lose your freedom.

let us steal in peace! bastards.

15. GTR said:
    ICE's history

hmm i see now that could explain their activities i didn't know (or even remembering) the consolidating of said groups
    (then again it happened in 2003 a turbulent year for me inpaticular but i'll spare the details) -_-'

thelastsoupper said:
    stuff

the days of "protests=gov. will listen to us" are starting to dwindle to dangerous levels it matters not what we do now because they don't seem to care for what the people have to say anymore these days

16. GTR said:

That would be the old INS (Immigration & Naturalization Service)

in 2003 INS was consolidated with US Customs Investigators, Federal Protective Service and Federal Air Marshal Service to form Immigration and CUSTOMS ENFORCEMENT

"do they have jurisdiction over copyright law violations?"
    - Yes they do now.

also, ICE has played a key role in investigating and arresting citizens suspected of possessing and distributing CP (2D and 3D). Because a vast majority of CP is produced in foreign countries, ICE special agents utilize their authority to investigate persons and groups that traffic in this type of contraband, the importation of which via mail or internet constitute violations of customs laws (remember Chris Handley?)

They should not have such power as it violates the constitution.

Customs is a useless organizaqtion and not even worth a hill of shit anymore as they can give some poor sap a hard time over comic books yet they won't do jack shit about the dangerous counterfeit products from China.

Giving them more power only caused them to abuse said power more often.
    Combining customs with those other organizations was an incredibly stupid move by the Bush administration.
    Before 2003 I did not hear about tooth past with radiator coolant and pet food that could kill your dog but after the reforms it happens all to often.
    China's has been cranking out fakes since the early 90s and HK since the 60s so it not anything new from them it's just customs no longer does the important work.

Over all the country is far less safe then it was before 9-11 and the government has become the greatest terrorist group of them all.

Keep in mind the people behind the so called war on terror sent three times more Americans to their deaths then Osama officially did and murdered 76,000 Iraqi civilians over WMDs that did not exist.

17. unsung said:

don't be mistaken - the group that holds the power in any society is the populace. if much of the populace marched down to the white house and demanded change, change would occur. the government is powerful because it acts for the populace. its every act has behind it the power of all of its constituents. without their support it is nothing.

your populace has simply chosen convenience over freedom, thus you are losing your freedom - that is what it means to be in a democracy.

18. thelastsoupper said:

well, if such a thing were to happen it would be you guyses fault.

you guys are simply trading your freedom for convenience. man is not free by nature; for most of our history we have been suffering under some form of tyranny - indeed, even today much of the world is still not free.

if you guys don't fight for your freedom, then, well, you'll lose your freedom.

let us steal in peace! bastards.

I am condoning NO SUCH THING. I am against censorship and control of the internet in all it's forms.

19. Sorrior said:
    I am condoning NO SUCH THING. I am against censorship and control of the internet in all it's forms.

^this^ sums up my thoughts on the matter

Reply »

You must log in to post.