HajimetenoGal-Simuldub-Clip-1

HajimetenoGal-Simuldub-Clip-2

HajimetenoGal-Simuldub-Clip-3

A sample English dub clip for Hajimete no Gal has been released to coax dub-loving westerners into watching Funimation’s simuldub of the perverted series, with some believing the quality of English dubbing to be heading into a downward spiral what with the use of such lines as “pals before gals”.

The painful clip:

YouTube’s clueless denizens however seemingly regard the dub as a masterpiece:

“Ayyyy this is the shit bruuuhhhhhh best dub this year.”

“The dub is the fucking best! They just had so much fun with it, and it just makes the anime so much better.”

“The script is perfectly fine, as is Junichi’s voice, I don’t like his main friend’s voice though. Jap dub does that character far better.”

“Wow thats some bad dubbing and I don’t mean voice acting I mean recording quality, your one guy sounded like his lines were recorded in a booth or on a poor quality mic, its jarring. I hope the mix is better on the DVD.”

“While I do like this anime, there is one character that really makes me feel extremely uncomfortable. And I think we all know which character that is!”

“I love this anime it’s funny as shit the only problem I got with this is that fat fuck who’s obsessed with little girls.”

“Is ‘Gal’ slang for something?? Because I’m trying to figure that out. Does it mean something different in Japan?”

“I still can’t figure out what the title means ‘…girlfriend is a gal’.”

“My first girlfriend was a total let down she fucking cheated on me and went for some chubby dude I was so pissed I wanted to take her back but I punched the guy in the face and well I just let her go she wasn’t even good for me anyway.”

00:45 15/09/2017 # ! Good (+0.6)

why is an idiot like this one making something like this a news topic? to start with this has been out for more than 6 weeks you're more than a little to the game on this one. next don't go putting your own damn opinion on a topic where people are saying the opposite of what you want people to believe and same goes into insulting them. this all goes back to either watch or don't watch a dub since dub just means a work of a different country is getting a different language speaking for it's land of people to help them understand what they are watching better since not everyone can read. whether those reasons are lazy ones or due to the fact they have yet to learn how to or are going through illiterate problems all varies from person to person. so take your shit and talk about something that's actuall relevant

13:40 15/09/2017 # ! Neutral (0)

Couldn't have said it better myself. Ahem to you sir.

09:19 16/09/2017 # ! Neutral (0)

Stop replying to your own comments.

10:24 16/09/2017 # ! Neutral (0)

and it could be worse... I would not watch it at all if I had to rely on Japanese voice acting...

18:34 15/09/2017 # ! Neutral (0)

Lulz . Your english is so bad, it is no wonder plebs like you need trash dubs.

00:31 15/09/2017 # ! Neutral (+0.4)

I watched this because I liked Manga, but they doing different from manga the history, I hated this anime

Comment by MARl0
    20:54 14/09/2017 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

We get it Rift, you hate dubs. But guess what? A lot of people love them. As evidenced by Aria's Kickstarter success of over half a million dollars. I bet that win was a dagger in your heart wasn't it? I shouldn't be surprised that you haven't reported on it given that it goes against your agenda.

07:19 16/09/2017 # ! Neutral (0)

They hate bad dubs, like everyone should. This is a bad dub.

2,648 people funding what will no doubt be a shit tier cheap dub is not newsworthy. It's also not something of note to make a claim that 'lots of people love dubs'.

10:24 15/09/2017 # ! Neutral (0)

it certainly isn't "just a few"

01:03 16/09/2017 # ! Neutral (0)

Look at the download figures for subtitles anime episodes for example. Back in the day, you could some popular shows with 200,000+ downloads on Horrible subs per episode.

01:02 15/09/2017 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

I'd say the person who wrote this posting is the clueless one. I've listened to most of the first episode dubbed, and while not a spectacular effort it's not bad, either.

Of course, this site has always shown a decided anti-dub leaning, so I suppose that I shouldn't be surprised.

04:07 15/09/2017 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

Sankaku Complex like most websites aren't anti dub in general. They're anti shit dubs.

10:23 15/09/2017 # ! Neutral (0)

that's a load of shit. Rift and Artifact have an obvious bias against virtually anything non-japanese.

Comment by jr240483
    03:07 17/09/2017 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

i knew the hate for dubs were bad, but sheesh. this is getting kinda sad for an article writer. its a small clip, and you cam immediately hear the bias. i wouldnt be surprised if the same thing is said about the aria dub when a sample clip is shown.

14:49 15/09/2017 # ! Neutral (0)

Hate dubs all you want the problem is that almost all Japanese VA's sound the same. High-pitched prepubescent voices for kids and women, angry old man for the guys. Argue against it if you want, but you know its true. At least with dubs there is a little more variety (though not much). I still hear Asa everytime Monica Rial speaks.

09:21 19/09/2017 # ! Neutral (0)

The newer dubs are trash.

Comment by Blazenwhiper
    14:59 15/09/2017 # ! Neutral (0)

The dub for this is actually hilariously bad ( in a good way)
    The main characters inner monologues are amazing.
    And even though its not a "good" dub, you can actually tell the VA's actually gave a shit about a terrible anime and decided to have fun with it, instead of reading the awful generic dialogue.

13:56 20/09/2017 # ! Neutral (0)

I love the dubs for this show. The subbed version is boring and generic. Whoever was in charge of writing the dubbed script made it so much better.

15:11 26/09/2017 # ! Neutral (0)

You autistic dubfags have no standards.

06:13 21/09/2017 # ! Neutral (0)

dubs r bad, hows that anything new?

11:31 15/09/2017 # ! Neutral (0)

"Pals before gals"? Seriously? This is just Funimation's over bearing editors trying to censor out the word 'Hoes'. (as in "bros before hoes")

With what they pulled artificially inserting that anti-gamer gate stuff into Prison School where it didn't belong, I can't understand anybody that pays for this shit. They don't give a shit about the authenticity of the source material, and will just edit dialogue into whatever the hell they feel like. You never know whether you're getting the genuine story, or some crap they invented because their translator got lazy.

Really guys, I don't care whether you prefer to watch dubs, feel free, but just don't watch ones produced by these clowns. They can't be trusted.

22:19 16/09/2017 # ! Neutral (0)

Feminazion (previously called Funimation) should keep up their quality like in Prison School, and use their creative writing to shove some feminazi propaganda, like "Are you one of those dumbass GamerGate creepshows?", and and more censorship like in Dragon Maid to destroy yuri like change Kobayashi's line from "But I'm a woman" to "I'm not into women".

I think if they freaking hate their work (which they think Japan anime are creepy) they should just quit, instead of triggering in dub.

06:49 16/09/2017 # ! Neutral (0)

I've seen hentai with better dubs....

18:39 15/09/2017 # ! Neutral (0)

Holy Shit. Whats up with all the dub defenders on this post? Totally unexpected for Sankaku Complex. Rift you keep being you. I just want more hilarious stuff like exploding septic tanks.

10:21 15/09/2017 # ! Neutral (0)

So what is the line supposed to be? "Bros before hoes"? Or some Japanese idiom that doesn't translate properly into english?

01:37 15/09/2017 # ! Neutral (0)

Is the voice actor union still on strike against specific companies? I remember that being a thing a while ago.

10:52 15/09/2017 # ! Neutral (0)

texas doesn't have voice actor unions, which is why a large chunk of dubs are recorded there

02:45 15/09/2017 # ! Neutral (0)

That's still going on with video games, yes. Not affecting anime as far as I know.

It's proven to be a net positive for games, as not only are we getting a variety of talented non-union voice actors instead of the same three voices over and over, it's a strong incentive for them to just forego dubbing entirely and leave it in Japanese.

23:24 14/09/2017 # ! Neutral (0)

the dubs better then the actual anime itself

20:02 14/09/2017 # ! Neutral (0)

Those dubbers have to dub other anime instead of this trainwreck.

18:54 14/09/2017 # ! Neutral (0)

Oi oi, that is almost Ghost Stories dub level. Well done.

19:48 14/09/2017 # ! Neutral (0)

This dub is fine considering how bad the show is. They should have gone full-on gag dub. Why did funi waste time and money on this

20:25 14/09/2017 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

I actually feel sorry for the people dubbing this show.

06:56 15/09/2017 # ! Neutral (0)

The dub actually makes this watcheble. The original is a boring ass harem anime. The voices bring nothing to fix this shit show. At least the dub is funny or so bad it's good. It makes this generic crap watchable and I actually like the characters more because they act like they're self aware of how ridiculous and stupid the premise is in the dub. I get that people wanna defend the original voices, but sometimes that alone doesn't make the show good. This is like saying the Ghost Stories dub is bad because it has nothing to do with what they say in the original. No shit! The original fucking sucked. So does this show. He only good thing is has is generic fan service. At least the dub turns this boring garbage into a funny show. There was nothing funny about the original. The dub is cringey but it's funny. That's at least SOMETHING. Then again, lots of weebs would rather be in denial so whatever. Fuck it. Nothing will change the fact that this show isn't good.

06:19 15/09/2017 # ! Neutral (0)

They missed a huge opportunity in not calling this "my girlfriend is a thot"

13:23 15/09/2017 # ! Neutral (0)

We get it, you learned a new word, calm down spas

Nothing like ruining a decent anime with a bad dub.

09:19 15/09/2017 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

Where is the "decent anime" here?

Dubs are shit and anyone watching this horrible funishit should feel bad cuz you have horrible taste. Weebs.

"The uploader has not made this video available in your country" :)
    And that actually tells us about dub's quality a lot. Western VA sucks so much, they don't want to show it to the rest of the world.

06:56 15/09/2017 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

The dub is way better than the sub, tbh.

10:25 15/09/2017 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

someone doesn't know how youtube works...

Comment by Ifr22k
    17:59 14/09/2017 # ! Neutral (0)

With cheap anime dubs (particularly rushed ones) yes. The quality VO for western stuff done with union actors tends to be decent to good.

Anime's so niche that most dubbers just don't have the money to bother with quality though, they only care about speed and cost.

Stuff dubbed by bigger companies like Disney for things like Hayao Miyazaki stuff tend to be much better than rank and file "sounds like they just grabbed a random gaggle from a college dorm room and had them cold read everything" dubs.

04:08 15/09/2017 # ! Neutral (0)

That's because Disney tend to look at Hollywood/TV actors to voice their characters. You know the people with actual acting experience.

10:53 15/09/2017 # ! Neutral (0)

Disney supports SAG, they don't use SCABS

04:09 15/09/2017 # ! Neutral (0)

What country you from? I'm watching it fine from England.

I actually grateful for that. My ears would have rot by all the talent western VAs.

“I still can’t figure out what the title means ‘…girlfriend is a gal’.”

Lol. I guess this is normal for dub fans. Since most doesn't know anything better and clueless.

01:10 16/09/2017 # ! Neutral (0)

It's supposed to mean gyaru, but it is lost in translation.

And now you know why god flooded Texas with his own hand.