Samus Returns: “Buy It Or No More 2D Metroid!”

Sexy-ZeroSuitSamus-by-Kuroma-Atapi-and-Kukua-Mosushi

Yoshio Sakamoto, the producer for upcoming 3DS title Metroid: Samus Returns, stated in an interview with Game Informer that if players desire more classic 2D side-scrolling Metroid games, then they should purchase “Metroid: Samus Returns” – a sentiment that many will no doubt regard as “holding the franchise hostage”.

The revenue generated by Metroid: Samus Returns will seemingly serve as the main factor over whether or not another 2D Metroid game will ever get made again (and the franchise only just recently started back up again since the atrocity that was Other M); Yoshio Sakamoto’s direct statement on the matter:

“Through the development of Metroid: Samus Returns, I was able to really grasp the possibility and fun of a 2D Metroid. Like when I finished the first game, if there is another opportunity to make another Metroid, that is something that I would love to do. Of course, that really depends on how much people really want to buy a 2D Metroid.”

Such an indirect request implies that diehard Metroid fans should purchase the game even if it turns out to be horrible – naturally it has rubbed a few fans up the wrong way:

“I will buy it. Let’s make Metroid 5.”

“I’d like to buy a new 2D Metroid, but I don’t want to buy it on 3DS…”

“Well it looks good, so that’s not gonna be a problem.”

“That’s how business works! They won’t keep making games if people don’t buy them.”

“Ah, taking even more pages from Ubisoft I see.”

“So the relentless bitching of countless posts in multiple forums begging for it for the past 15 years isn’t enough?”

“My question is, wtf took so long?”

“The interest has ALWAYS been there. They just like to ignore it. Now we gotta buy a remake just so we can finally get a real new one.”

“What do I buy to get more Other M?”

More optimistic individuals however pointed out that the 3D Metroids were known for being equally popular, though whether or not the franchise will actually receive another game if Samus Returns bombs is yet uncertain – Metroid: Samus Returns will launch for the 3DS on September 15th.

03:28 22/08/2017 # ! Neutral (+0.4)

If they can't make a good 2D Metroid game, which it is clearly apparent they can't, then it is time to let the series die. But, if they really want to take Metroid down the Sonic route, so be it.

04:07 22/08/2017 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

What do you mean "they can't" all of the 2D Metroids are great even this Return of Samus for 3DS

It's just a spread shooter with ps1 graphics..

Seems more like some fan made indie game...

06:51 22/08/2017 # ! Neutral (0)

They can also take the Mario route and make Metroid vs Rabbids.

19:51 22/08/2017 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

Nintendo is a company, if a game doesn't make them money, there won't be a sequel to it. Or at the very least, they won't be funding it themselves and since Nintendo own the license to Metroid, it's very unlikely that a third party publisher will come around and say they want to make a Metroid game.
    Hence, what he said wasn't exactly "buy it or else", but more like "this needs to sell to convince Nintendo that people do want these games". While they can be interpreted the same way, it's really not the same.

09:47 22/08/2017 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

Stop making half ass Metroid games like that stupid Ds Federation Force and revived the series!

AM2R blew me away! I don't think this game will compare, but I need more 2D Metroid.

15:48 22/08/2017 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

Nintendo acting like idiots as always when it comes to the Metroid franchise. Fans begged and begged for a new Metroid...and they gave us that trash Federation Force.

And now that they're finally giving us an actual Metroid game, they're threatening the fans. They should be grateful that they have such a hardcore fanbase, but nah, they'll continue to treat them like trash.

Comment by Chen-04
    20:15 22/08/2017 # ! Neutral (0)

After the inventor of Metroid died about 20 years ago Nintendo just couldn't figure out how to move the series forward. It's a shame, really.

13:53 22/08/2017 # ! Neutral (0)

That's a bluff. No way they're gonna let one of their main franchises die. Absolute bullcrap.

15:28 24/08/2017 # ! Neutral (0)

Take a look at wario, or even, starfox.

02:06 22/08/2017 # ! Neutral (0)

I do not own a 3DS, nor will a single title convince me to buy one.

The series = dead. Let it rest and remember it for what it was.

in other words: samus returns is shit compared to AM2R so buy it anyway or no metroid ever again

Comment by Chen-04
    01:43 22/08/2017 # ! Neutral (-0.2)

Fuck them. I'm not buying their 3D Pig Disgusting games just so they maybe make something I like in the future. Make a good 2D Metroid and it will sell on it's own. Something like Metroid III, not the bullshit that where Zero Mission and Fusion.

02:01 22/08/2017 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

Fusion was really good though, and Zero mission got just enough extras compared to the original so it was enjoyable even when having done all other opuses of the series.

Comment by Chen-04
    20:13 22/08/2017 # ! Neutral (-0.2)

You and I have really different opinions about what is "really good".

So many Nintendo fags in here. Sony should just beat the shit out of you guys

I would love to see a 2D Metroid, but sure as hell not on a Nintendo console, and definitely not portable either. I'd buy a PC version even if they had to use that Unity garbage to get it done.

Comment by Lord Phantom
    07:49 22/08/2017 # ! Neutral (-0.2)

It's as pathetic as Diablo 3. We all saw that shit. Most people bought it anyways and we have the result: expansions instead of legit Diablo.

Same case withSamus.

08:34 22/08/2017 # ! Neutral (+0.4)

Careful there, dude, say something against Blizzard and all the Hearthstone whales will drown you.

07:14 23/08/2017 # ! Neutral (0)

B-but muh RNG Digital "card" game that I maxed out my mom's credit card on!

I'm going to bitch about it while watching my favorite manchild on YouTube show why he's better than all you fucking losers by playing a "card" game!

He's rich and successful, I know because I pay him money every month because I support his hard work and i'm totally not a tool!

(Sound about right?)

13:59 22/08/2017 # ! Neutral (0)

I wish I could speak whale.

15:27 24/08/2017 # ! Neutral (0)

I wanna expand samus though.
    ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Jeez, what a dumbass move, oh we KNOW everyone wants a 2D metroid, lets make another shitty 3D one no one wants!

IDIOTS

They think I'm going to buy a shitty game to have the "possibility" to be able to buy a future game that's probably going to be worse? Nope. I'm not falling for your Amiibo bullshit Nintendo. Get the fuck out of here with that shit before you end up on the shitlist with Konami.