Nier: Automata Team Want Sequel

Cute-2B-by-Uniikura

The latest issue of Weekly Famitsu Magazine has revealed that the development team behind the widely acclaimed Nier: Automata want to create a sequel for the renowned title, surely a profitable decision that will also appease the game’s gigantic fanbase.

An interview was held with producer Yosuke Saito, director Yoko Taro, game designer Takahisa Taura, composer Keiichi Okabe and character designer Asahiko Yoshida; the idea of a sequel was brought up:

Famitsu: Finally, would each of you please leave a message, after looking back at NieR: Automata?

Taura: As [a representative from] Platinum Games, we’re satisfied that we could finish it as a game with an uncommon atmosphere in a very good shape. I hope we can create a sequel as well as more new things.

Famitsu: So you have the desire for it.

Taura: I have a lot of desire for it. But not on the shooter part though.

Yoko: If we do make it, then please do [join us again]!

Saito: Yoko and I are going to make the request while being nervous again (laughs). It’s related to the current topic about Yoshida-san, but for my own work, it has been 99% done at this point where the members here have gathered. And we’re able to leave a mark behind so we’re glad about it, and we’re also very thankful to the fans that have supported it. If these members could gather once again, there may be a sequel getting made. To the point that I would think if even one of us were missing, we’d rather not do it.

In regards to a remake of the prequel:

Famitsu: How’s the possibility of a remake of the prequel?

Yoko: That would be up to Square Enix.

Saito: We don’t really know the actual degree of anticipation for it. So even if we were to do it, we would have to consider various things first. And when we’re actually doing it, we’d like Yoko-san to join the team, and add some extra features.

Yoko Taro also made a jab towards the server failures of his mobile game SINoALICE:

Famitsu: In 3 more years, the NieR series will be having its 10th anniversary.

Saito: I’d also like to do something for the 10th anniversary.

Yoko: Let’s release a rather crappy social game. Speaking of social games, there are so many people who have registered on SINoALICE. And when the server went down, I’m indirectly feeling how NieR: Automata has actually sold that much. And the after-effects would come here as well.

Comment by Rya
    04:05 25/07/2017 # ! Good (+0.4)

The first game that almost made me cry during the credits. Bless all you wonderful people who helped me.

03:49 29/07/2017 # ! Neutral (0)

You mean by downvoting other comments by yourself?
    I get it Nier is a good game, but it's not perfect, let people have critics on it.

Comment by racnarok
    04:51 25/07/2017 # ! Neutral (0)

You're welcome.

03:12 25/07/2017 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

nier automata was a masterpiece and will be for years to come.

Id love to see a sequel but given how it ended and looking back the past nier, id say the most probable would be another time jump or alternative timeline of the sorts....

But yeah, if the cankeep the quality and feel, please do so!

01:56 26/07/2017 # ! Neutral (0)

It's an overrated game carried by 2B's ass.

15:54 26/07/2017 # ! Neutral (0)

Go play Mass Effect Andromeda.

09:36 29/07/2017 # ! Neutral (0)

imagine yoko releases the hacking mini game for free on mobile phones lol. wonder how many people would hate the higher difficulties.

im still waiting for a nier automata port to the switch because i love my portability. the vita is dead so it would never work

Comment by BlackScience
    01:09 25/07/2017 # ! Neutral (0)

First, fix the damn game for PC, this run like a shit.

14:49 25/07/2017 # ! Neutral (0)

seeing posts like this is why I'm nervous to get this game...

01:57 26/07/2017 # ! Neutral (0)

Runs great even on minimum specs, what the fuck are you talking about?

Comment by Anyad Apad
    01:17 25/07/2017 # ! Neutral (0)

Runs like a charm here.
    This game needs a really good and up to date PC.

Comment by BlackScience
    01:23 25/07/2017 # ! Neutral (-0.2)

A really good PC for run it 1080p 60fps with drops? No thanks, you are running it with brute force.
    You can run it 4K@60 fps with these graphics using a high-end computer but it's unoptimized.

17:19 25/07/2017 # ! Neutral (0)

I'm running the game fine at 60fps on an old i7 860 CPU with GTX 1060 at 1080p...

Comment by BlackScience
    03:00 26/07/2017 # ! Neutral (0)

With a proper optimization, you can run it in 4K... oh no, I'm okay running a shitty crap port game on my expensive rig!

Why do you even need more than 60fps? More does not mean better, even 60 looks like crap in most single games to be honest.

01:15 25/07/2017 # ! Neutral (0)

get better pc

Comment by BlackScience
    01:24 25/07/2017 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

Better pc? I can play damn games in 4k, and I'm playing this shit in 1080p with drop fps, fuck off.

17:43 25/07/2017 # ! Neutral (0)

Nier Automata - Emil True Final Boss Fight (Secret Boss & Ending Y) Unlocked, and overclocked....
    Well I try to make people smile.

Comment by konakona
    15:47 25/07/2017 # ! Neutral (0)

I never had any frame drops at 1080p. Something is wrong with your PC. I only had issues when I tried to run it on 4k which is my fault cause my PC isn't equipped enough to do that.

14:44 25/07/2017 # ! Neutral (0)

Console version also have frame drops occasionally, especially when exploring. So, getting a console will not fix that.

07:44 25/07/2017 # ! Neutral (0)

Don't have any issues running on both of my two Pcs. One being top quality and the other in the middle. What issues are you running with?

02:22 25/07/2017 # ! Neutral (0)

Honestly I'd recommend getting a console too if that's the case. I believe they're so set in making this a ps4 game and never anticipated the demand so when they were done, they're done. That's it.

I'm guessing the work got passed on someone else that didn't know jack shit on how to fix it.

02:59 25/07/2017 # ! Neutral (0)

i7 6900k sli 1080ti. 4k 60fps runs just fine...pc users don't optimize, just power through everything (except gta4, that was a train wreck)

01:41 25/07/2017 # ! Neutral (0)

get a console. :D

Comment by Mitchell
    06:33 25/07/2017 # ! Neutral (0)

Played it on PC thinking it would be a bad port. Weirdly enough No issues. A prequel or sequel would be awesome, only if it had like 3-5 endings like the last one :)

12:33 25/07/2017 # ! Neutral (0)

yup you need a better pc, I run the game at 3440x1440 with uncapped fps at 100 and it runs just fine.

Comment by BlackScience
    03:04 26/07/2017 # ! Neutral (0)

Yes, with mods, said thanks to Kaldaien and friends, because vanilla games is shit.

Better PC will not fix shitty optimization. If it were done by competent people it could easily run at 4k 120+fps with those graphics on a GTX 1080. Currently you cannot even set 4k resolution in the option menu, lol.

But yes, instead of buying this game you should definitely spend this money on a better PC. You should treat such developers the same way they treat PC community.

Comment by BlackScience
    02:59 26/07/2017 # ! Neutral (0)

These negatives are proof that they're fanboys that defend the shitty optimization that has NierA.

If NierA is good port, then why Fix Automata Resolution exist? Because the game was ported by monkeys.

06:40 25/07/2017 # ! Neutral (0)

I know what you mean, but I generally didn't have any drops.

The problem is not with the game though but your computer, being able to play games in 4K is not something universal. I can play some games in 4k as well, but you have to remember that Nier:Automata was not designed for PC at all, the fact that it works in general without problems is a feat for the programmers. Make sure you are up to date with drivers, and not only the GFX/CPU/ but the entire MOBO systems, I'll bet you 100$ that some peripherals you have are using outdated drivers, and you don't even know, because you probably use Win10, Which is stupid and doesn't recognize outdated drivers and doesn't DL and install new ones.

Comment by Justin iZ Here
    03:20 25/07/2017 # ! Neutral (0)

...How do they plan to make a sequel for NeiR Automata? It didn't leave a lot open to add on to.

04:05 25/07/2017 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

By doing something totally new and just setting it in the same universe.

05:17 25/07/2017 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

In fact, that was they made for nier:automata, same universe as nier, but centuries later, with a new story.

12:36 25/07/2017 # ! Neutral (0)

Accord and the observers nuff said.

10:31 25/07/2017 # ! Neutral (0)

The one thing I didn't like about Automata was that even with all of the little side missions and such, it felt like the side characters did not contribute much to the game. It urked me that Devola and Popola arrived so late.
    Still, as with all of Yoko Taro's games, he's still somehow able to make me feel for these underdeveloped characters. If he can make me feel like that with that little bit of development in some of his characters, I shudder in anxiety of how I'd feel for them if they died or something had he put three times the amount of content and backstory.

Comment by Ishmon16
    06:39 25/07/2017 # ! Neutral (0)

Nier Automata is a wonderful game I hope it gets the sequel it deserves.

I don't think that's wise. I'd say plausibile if it's set on another region, say, North America or Europe. The possibility of tectonic movement could also be used to change up the maps or even make a new one altogether.

Overall I'd probably say no. I prefer a prequel with A2 to be honest with you. I'd like to see Anemone's past as it does intrigue me more than Pascal leading a peaceful society(I didn't kill him, fuck you) until the civil war.

04:04 25/07/2017 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

If they make a sequel, it will probably have nothing to do with the rest of the saga besides some little nods or character mentions.
    That's how the drakengard/nier series have been made.

14:22 25/07/2017 # ! Neutral (0)

You DO remember Nier: G/R came from DG 1's joke ending, right? I mean, if a sequel IS to follow it is in either the joke or the main endings. Endings E, A, B, and D leads nowhere whereas C could lead to another planet.

Unless they pull an Andromeda "New Beginnings" gambit, the sequel isn't welcome.

Again, I prefer a prequel as the case for DG 3 coming after DG 1 when story-wise it's vice versa.

08:36 27/07/2017 # ! Neutral (0)

Clearly, the next game will follow Automata's K ending. Jackass is really a timetravelling human from the future and was tasked to assassinate 9S by feeding him a mackerel before he could interact with Adam and Eve.

01:59 26/07/2017 # ! Neutral (0)

Resetting his memory is the same as killing him either way.

There's room for a sequel?

Comment by Chen-04
    04:29 25/07/2017 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

There's always room for a sequel. Case in point: Planet of the Apes II --> III.

12:56 25/07/2017 # ! Neutral (0)

They can set it a trillion years after Automata...

12:35 25/07/2017 # ! Neutral (0)

Yes Accord and the other observers where never touched upon.

This game can be described by one word - abandonware.

Comment by Rya
    19:25 25/07/2017 # ! Neutral (0)

Except that that word means something completely different.

Comment by BlackScience
    03:02 26/07/2017 # ! Neutral (0)

Not a proper patch/fix since release, is like he mean.

I want a SteamOS version first >:cc