To Heart’s 20th Anniversary Heartily Revered

ToHeart-20thAnniversary-Illustrations-23

Beloved visual novel franchise To Heart has had its 20th anniversary celebrated by its legion of dedicated fans, who have unsurprisingly unveiled a wealth of illustrations (many of them from top artists) featuring the franchise’s memorable girls and hopefully garnering enough attention to bring about a new game.

ToHeart-20thAnniversary-Illustrations-1

ToHeart-20thAnniversary-Illustrations-22

ToHeart-20thAnniversary-Illustrations-23

ToHeart-20thAnniversary-Illustrations-24

ToHeart-20thAnniversary-Illustrations-25

ToHeart-20thAnniversary-Illustrations-26

ToHeart-20thAnniversary-Illustrations-27

15:09 30/05/2017 # ! Neutral (0)

Non stop heart shaped asses in motion!

Comment by GHS
    16:20 31/05/2017 # ! Neutral (0)

Ahh ToHeart. In my opinion this game started the whole school setting genre in games. It beat out DaCapo by a few months I think. I don't care what people say, but we owe a lot to ToHeart whether people know it or not. Wish Leaf would stop dicking around so much with their Uta-whatever and make ToHeart 3 already.

11:13 01/06/2017 # ! Neutral (0)

Not sure about it starting the school theme since Tokimeki Memorial came out a few years earlier, but ToHeart was definitely one of the bigger hits in history. DaCapo was probably more remembered for its complex routes and amazing soundtrack.

On the bright side, the Utawarerumono anime wasn't too bad from what I recall, but I haven't played the game. I get the feeling that it probably wasn't as romantically deep as ToHeart though.

23:07 29/05/2017 # ! Neutral (0)

Harem anime's old ancestor.

18:13 30/05/2017 # ! Neutral (0)

Oh good. I'm not the only one that felt old seeing this article.

21:47 29/05/2017 # ! Neutral (0)

Curious how old? Always wondered what ages are the denizens of this site... I'm going to assume 35+

03:55 30/05/2017 # ! Neutral (0)

I'm not the same person, but I feel old too and I just turned 29. Well, as long as I'm not 30 I suppose...

08:57 30/05/2017 # ! Neutral (0)

Same person. Good guess. But I'm hardly a regular, I just pop by occasionally to see articles and make silly comments.

I treat this site kinda like Wikipedia: a good place to start, but not to rely upon for facts.

06:24 31/05/2017 # ! Neutral (0)

I think the same thought all the time. I usually come here just to get an idea about what's going on in Japan.

04:38 30/05/2017 # ! Neutral (0)

I never had a chance to play the game since the torrent doesn't seem to have working audio. But I still remember the anime today because it wasn't just a harem, but also a very unique slice-of-life anime.

Instead of chibi characters saying lots of simple jokes, it was literally a "slice of life". You were basically watching the characters go about their daily lives, even if it was often boring. But that laid-back atmosphere really began to draw me in, like a nice Sunday morning show to wake up to. Unfortunately, the ToHeart 2 anime never really recreated that feeling in my opinion though.

Comment by SomeDuder
    17:46 11/06/2017 # ! Neutral (0)

Dat episode where they the day doing their homework... nnnnnnnnnnnng... More please.

08:12 30/05/2017 # ! Neutral (0)

ToHeart was my entry drug into the Slice of Life genre... (They f'ed it up with TH:RMM, though...)

And apparently no Akari love, despite the shout-out to her in Lucky Star with Tsukasa... Then again, Multi was the poster girl for TH.

13:39 30/05/2017 # ! Neutral (0)

Dammit, I had posted about the slice-of-life aspect but the post vanished. ToHeart really was a true slice of life, but not in the way that most people expect. Rather than a bunch of simple jokes, ToHeart was like watching several people go about their daily lives.

Multi must have gotten a much larger following due to the fact that she's a robot (and thus, more in a position to be a mascot). Akari's appeal was that she was a plain ordinary girl, unlike some girl-next-door types who are famous throughout the school.

02:06 31/05/2017 # ! Neutral (0)

And for TH2 it was Tamaki Kousaka

06:26 31/05/2017 # ! Neutral (0)

Lol, it must say something about the generation of viewers...

09:01 30/05/2017 # ! Neutral (0)

I liked Akari, but she was probably one of the least unique characters.

05:55 30/05/2017 # ! Neutral (0)

There's hardly any comments here. Noone remembers ToHeart? Really?!

ToHeart isn't for everyone due to its "laid-back" style, but it's pretty unique in that regard. ToHeart 2 seemed pretty mediocre though, like some other harem anime.

09:00 30/05/2017 # ! Neutral (0)

I liked To Heart, although I only watched the anime, bought some comic anthologies and played some related doujin games. To Heart 2 felt boring to me, always wondered if it was just me.

I think the To Heart characters are memorable. They stand out. That's probably why it spawned so much awesome doujin stuff.

13:32 30/05/2017 # ! Neutral (0)

Nope, you're not alone. ToHeart 2 really didn't have anything redeeming about it other than Tamaki. Personally, it felt like it was trying to be like other anime at the time and failed. It should have just been itself like ToHeart 1 did, which helped build emotion with the characters.

This subject also reminds me of another old series called Da Capo. DC had a somewhat deep storyline involving incest and also had music scenes at the end of every episode. But DC2 wasn't even worth looking at. Dunno about DC3.