20 Years of Soul Calibur Celebrated

Soulcalibur-20th-Anniversary-Trailer-1

Soulcalibur-20th-Anniversary-Trailer-2

Soulcalibur-20th-Anniversary-Trailer-3

Bandai Namco have celebrated the 20th anniversary of their weapon-based fighting game franchise Soul Calibur, showcasing games in the series as far back as the original “Soul Edge” from 1996 (though sadly not delving into the title’s evolving boob physics) – and possibly even hinting at a new title in the works.

The nostalgia-inducing trailer:

07:14 07/12/2016 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

For a new title they need a reboot. Sadly, the direction taken with Soul Calibur V was far from the best in story terms, gameplay and even creation (What were they thinking when they took away so many characters without replacing them all?! No replace for Zasalamel or Talim?! Seriously?!). Make a reboot with all the characters (Including V's newbies like Viola and Z.W.E.I), give it a story mode similar to Soul Calibur III (Their best game IMO) and with the extra styles apart from those held by the characters to give OCs more room for customization. That way they could create the ultimate Soul Calibur.

12:51 07/12/2016 # ! Neutral (0)

SCV was supposed to be the reboot. Fuck reboots. An actual good sequel would take all the best ideas that worked from each game so far, not reset. SCIV's charactes (minus starwars), SCV's tourny scene appreciated gameplay, SC1 and 2's single player, and Soul Blade's music (bring back Khan!).

08:08 07/12/2016 # ! Neutral (0)

SCV was actually widely accepted in the tournament community which always represents the largest active demographic of players. But I do agree on the roster and somewhat on customization.

05:28 07/12/2016 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

Cool. Now, when's the next Soul Calibur?

08:21 07/12/2016 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

We don't need other Soul Caliburs beyond 2. 3 and 4 were abominations to put it nicely.

12:47 07/12/2016 # ! Neutral (0)

3 and 4 werent as good as 1 and 2 but that doesnt mean theyre as extreme as "abominable"... i'd reserve that for V

12:27 07/12/2016 # ! Neutral (0)

This is true, unfortunately.

08:48 07/12/2016 # ! Neutral (0)

SC3 costume system was real nice, sadly it corrupted memory cards... SC4 was average, a couple of good ideas and an insteresting weapon customization... The next were all horrible.

04:42 07/12/2016 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

Soulcalibur 2020...Ivy H-cup.

12:46 07/12/2016 # ! Neutral (0)

unfortunately, if SCV is anything to go by, they might start going in the opposite direction with that trend... (her model was the same but she was more covered than in SCIV)

15:14 07/12/2016 # ! Neutral (0)

So they're goin the MKX route with the females

02:22 09/12/2016 # ! Neutral (0)

oh god no :(

06:38 08/12/2016 # ! Neutral (0)

Ivy can sit on my face, fam.

12:09 07/12/2016 # ! Neutral (0)

I hope for a new one. Man that was my main game for so long. I started with 2. 4 Was probably my favorite.

5 made me sad that we lost Setsuka, lizardman, talim, amy, CASSANDRA, SOPHITIA, Zasalamel, Astroth's 88B into Titan Bomb :(, Taki. None of the bonus characters felt any good, like Darth Vader felt amazing in 4 if you were good with him.

Though I did like the addition of pyrrha in 5 as well as Zwei, and viola. Did not appreciate the Patrokalos and Pyrrha clones replace setsuka and sophitia. Actually I disliked the clones more so than the loss of the my beloved Alexandra sisters :(

I thought the Just Roll, and Just Guard was a very nice addition in 5.

I think perhaps all new characters would be good and the guest characters should really feel solid. This was my favorite fighter and the only one I could really get into. Easily plunked over 2k hours into it.

Though I wouldn't be opposed to another company making a 3d weapon based fighter. I just don't care much for tekken or 2d fighters.