Nintendo Retires Splatfests “It’s Been Fun!”

The conclusion of the final Splatfest event for the ridiculously popular Splatoon has prompted Nintendo to release nostalgic videos chronicling all prior Splatfests held throughout the game’s various regions, though why Nintendo would remove a feature that attracted so much attention has many quite curious.

North America’s former Splatfest events:

Europe’s Splatfests:

Japan’s numerous food-based Splatfests:

The retirement of the competitive feature has made some theorize that a Splatoon 2 may possibly be on the horizon…

14:24 02/08/2016 # ! Neutral (+0.4)

Oh how I so badly wish I could've played Splatoon ;__; But I never bought a Wii U because there weren't enough AAA titles to warrant buying it...

Am I missing anything else? Not that I have anything against Mario but I got tired of it after SMB3.

Comment by Chen-04
    01:46 03/08/2016 # ! Neutral (0)

Soon it's going to be Bread of the Wild or whatever the new Zelda is called. But other than those, I dunno either. (And I don't even care for SSBU.)

Maybe I get an NX if it supports 4K. (That's me being polite about not wanting to buy an NX.)

Shows mentality of Nintendo fanboy.
    Little disagreement got downvoted.

Oh wait, Bayonetta 2. Same guy btw.

"Got tired of it after SMB3"? LOL you gotta be bullshitting. You know Mario64 was a thing that existed after it and revolutionized the 3D platformer, right?

Anyway I'm not gonna list all the good games, because if you haven't even bothered to do a simple google then you obviously want to believe your own nonsense.

16:49 02/08/2016 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

I'm not the same guy and there's newer Nintendo games that I loved, but I wanted to provide a viewpoint that I've often encountered.

You have to remember that the NES was THE system of the 80's. A lot of people grew up with it. But as people grew old, Nintendo didn't quite grow with them (kiddie games). Hence, one of the reasons why PSX was so successful: it catered to the changing interests of a generation.

Irrelevant, still could've easily googled. Chose not to. Comes here asking about it. Obviously isn't interested in the first place, just wants to make a statement.

Grow the fuck up. Grownups don't care about what's "kiddie" or not. Teenagers do.

Comment by Imyou
    16:27 06/08/2016 # ! Neutral (-0.2)

I loved all the Mario Bros games, before they were even "super", but 64 killed it for me. It was insufferable. 3D platformers are an awful idea. That's one reason there's such a return to 2D platformers now.

I've tried some later Marios like Galaxy too, but... it's just a chore.

Comment by Ishmon16
    01:10 03/08/2016 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

Nintendo usually drops shit after a year.

Comment by SomeDuder
    02:37 05/08/2016 # ! Neutral (0)

Well, better to end on a high note than to let shit drag on well past its expiry date (Looking at you, TF2)

Comment by Imyou
    16:23 06/08/2016 # ! Neutral (0)

That's why I didn't get a WiiU and sadly can't play Splatoon... They dropped the Wii so fast and hard it was still on shelves (they'd just launched a refresh!) when they killed all the online features.

I mean, if its shelf life turns it into such a rental, then just lend me the hardware for free or fee and I'll pay to use the software. I'm not buying it outright for a quick fling.

01:03 03/08/2016 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

this game would've been great if it didn't constantly match you up with teleporting laggy Japanese players and allowed you to play with something other than the Big game pad controller.

Comment by Justin iZ Here
    04:54 02/08/2016 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

Splatoon 2 is the only logical reason I can think of for them dropping splatfest.

05:40 02/08/2016 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

It's Nintendo, they don't need a logical reason.

05:19 02/08/2016 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

They want to stop splatfests now so they can focus their social media and marketting machine on NX. Spla2n could well be part of that but there's plenty of reason even if that's still a ways off.

06:01 02/08/2016 # ! Neutral (0)

Considering this game was one of the few things the Wii U has going for it, this sucks ass. I wonder how much longer the Wii U serves will be up.

12:35 02/08/2016 # ! Neutral (0)

because Wii U is going to die. As a pokemon fans for the pass 20 years, I've purchased all handheld devices from Nintendo and even the Wii. I like the Wii but I don't see the point buying a Wii U. Sometimes I tried to convince myself to get a Wii U even just for Pokemon games but....nah. Wii U is just so bad.

05:02 02/08/2016 # ! Neutral (0)

NIntendo-"Hahahaha this is great!...I'm bored I wanna do something else now..."

14:24 02/08/2016 # ! Neutral (0)

vocaloids on drugs.. with std's and aids

07:56 02/08/2016 # ! Neutral (0)

That's sad. :(

I'm having difficulty masturbating to these children.

Comment by Nin
    05:43 02/08/2016 # ! Quality (+0.8)

You have to train more, grasshopper.

10:55 03/08/2016 # ! Neutral (0)

Slave to the Master!

I'm a dictator dicdicdicdicdic-tator!

Comment by CK
    06:58 02/08/2016 # ! Neutral (-0.2)

Not to worry guys, Splatoon 2 is right around the corner :^)

Uh, wasn't this rumor proved to be a hoax and that Splatoon will continue to be supported/receive updates? Only the splatfests are ending?

Comment by Chen-04
    01:50 03/08/2016 # ! Neutral (0)

Yeah, just like the Game Boy isn't discontinued. There's the Game Cube, the Game Boy Advance and the Nintendo DS. And the DS totally won't replace the GBA, it's just a third independent project. Next Game Boy will be released soon. Promise.

02:08 03/08/2016 # ! Neutral (0)

Read it and weep douchebag. Next time learn how to use a search engine

Comment by Chen-04
    05:26 03/08/2016 # ! Neutral (0)

lol, kotaku