Top 20 Anime You’d Recommend to Your Parents

Top20-Anime-Recommend-Parents-2

The top 20 shows anime fans would dare show their parents have been ranked, yielding a selection likely to be almost as heartbreaking to parents as knowing what their poor kids have been up to all these years.

The ranking, boasting another 10,000 votes:

15. Full Metal Alchemist

16. Steins; Gate

17. Sword Art Online

18. Durarara!!

19. Haikyuu!!

20. The Fate series

07:41 21/06/2015 # ! Quality (+1.0)

What? What about Aki Sora, Yosuga No Sora, KissXSis, Kodomo No Jikan?

10:35 21/06/2015 # ! Good (+0.6)

What about Boku no Pico?

22:54 21/06/2015 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

Good for rotten Moms.

Comment by Pyrus
    11:19 21/06/2015 # ! Good (+0.4)

Maybe if dad is one of "those" Mormon types: The ones you hear about on the news because they kept their daughter, grand-daughter, & great-grand-daughter locked up & pregnant in the basement as their "wives".

05:59 23/06/2015 # ! Neutral (0)

How much do you stand to collect when your parents have heart attacks?

You watch KissXSis watch your mom? Do you have a sister, too? Do you live in a trailer in Mississippi?

06:18 21/06/2015 # ! Quality (+1.0)

Where the hell is Monster? It is the absolutely perfect anime to show parents that anime is far more than what they might think it is.

06:39 21/06/2015 # ! Good (+0.6)

Because if they put it, it would have taken all 20 positions

16:26 21/06/2015 # ! Neutral (0)

Showed my mom Monster. She loved it.

12:58 21/06/2015 # ! Neutral (0)

Hey, if we get the HBO Monster series it may actually become a reality.

Monster is shit tier anime. Yu Gi Oh is superior

13:30 21/06/2015 # ! Neutral (+0.4)

When will people understand that recommendations aren't for YOU, but the person(s) you're recommending to? Parents almost certainly don't want to watch teenager's anime, and they will lack your nostalgia. They rarely want to see shows about kids and teens dealing with kids' and teens' problems. It's not rocket science, guys.

07:36 21/06/2015 # ! Neutral (+0.4)

Who the hell made this list? I wouldn't recommend 95% of this to my younger brother who only watched Dragon Ball, much less I'd ever recommend SAO to my 55 year old mother for fuck's sake! This list is almost 100% B-type shit!

Where's Death Note? Where's 12 Kingdoms? Where's Ghost in the Shell Stand Alone Complex? Where's Cowboy GODDAMN Bebop?????

What a load of crap!

06:03 23/06/2015 # ! Neutral (+0.4)

Totally agree with you. With so much mature anime that would appeal to your mother, why did they choose childish dreck?

09:02 23/06/2015 # ! Neutral (0)

IT'S MADE BY JAPANESE PEOPLE WHY WOULD THEY SHOW ANIME THAT'S ONLY PARTICULARLY POPULAR OVERSEAS TO THEIR FELLOW JAPANESE PARENTS?!

Sorry for that, this comes up every list.

08:56 21/06/2015 # ! Neutral (0)

Well, it should be obvious who made that list. Or rather, who voted.

But yeah, it's mostly cheap stuff that can be enjoyable to watch but isn't something you'd actually show to people who don't care.

23:19 22/06/2015 # ! Neutral (0)

I got my dad to watch Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust and he loved it. Basically anything that doesn't follow any of the standard moe stereotypes is a good place to start.

02:40 23/06/2015 # ! Neutral (0)

I think Japanese parents would be more accepting of cute stuff. But I can see western kids watching something like Azumanga Diaoh with their moms. I'm sure a lot of kids watched TV anime like Pokemon, dubbed and santitized, with their parents.

12:00 21/06/2015 # ! Neutral (0)

Yep. Something like Natsume Yujinchou would be good (once you explain Japanese mythology). But most of those? And notice how most of them have come out in recent years. Maybe something like Working!! would work, due to it's light heartedness, but almost nothing that anyone would find offensive or difficult to digest.

03:19 22/06/2015 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

Yeah, it's definitely not healthy human behavior to want your family and friends to understand and enjoy your hobbies.

02:07 22/06/2015 # ! Neutral (0)

Pretty much. For the most part I'd start with something Ghibli, though, as those tend to be aimed towards families in general.

If I actually cared to start. For the most part, “anime” is just animated TV series or movies so drooling over it to the point where one has to introduce other people to it because there's not enough drool on the carpet is going too far. Watching something occasionally if you enjoy it is fine, but really, there's a reason why “otaku” tend to be treated as outcasts.

05:15 21/06/2015 # ! Neutral (+0.4)

No Usagi Drop? What the hell is wrong with you people?

15:24 24/06/2015 # ! Neutral (0)

Then have the parent read the manga for even more enjoyment.

Comment by VandalsChiow
    08:36 22/06/2015 # ! Neutral (0)

was hoping someone would mention this freaking masterpiece

06:36 21/06/2015 # ! Neutral (0)

I exactly thought the same

(I won't recommend madoka magica to my parents, that's for sure)

14:36 21/06/2015 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

Death Note and Shingeki no Kyojin,

Comment by Ishmon16
    14:28 21/06/2015 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

Well as much as my parents love drama type shows i dont think ill ever recommend One piece to em

23:11 21/06/2015 # ! Neutral (0)

Nothing from Tezuka?
    Certified Brony-grade list.

23:55 21/06/2015 # ! Neutral (0)

For all parents who love rock'n'roll (especially if they play in a failed band back then) they gotta see "The Legend of Black Heaven"

Comment by Reo
    23:53 21/06/2015 # ! Neutral (0)

Ano Ana(ru).

Comment by Yan
    09:10 21/12/2015 # ! Neutral (0)

If you are gonna recommend Tokyo Ghoul to your parents you better recommend yourself some good taste because omfg.

13:27 21/06/2015 # ! Neutral (0)

I remember seeing both parts of Ashita no Joe with my father when I was a kid and he loved it... Ah, good old 80s...

Comment by Daniel Park
    16:35 21/06/2015 # ! Neutral (0)

My mom likes Shirokuma Cafe and Fruits Basket.

16:48 21/06/2015 # ! Neutral (0)

The correct answer was "none". They will have some old, stereotypical complaint about ANY anime you show them.

The one I think it gets the closest to being "acceptable" by parent standards is Crayon Shin Chan, and even that can be knit-picked at.

06:19 22/06/2015 # ! Neutral (0)

Among many other minor problems, role models in Shin-chan are, at best, outdated, so I can actually see why someone would complain...

00:48 22/06/2015 # ! Neutral (0)

Death note, where you at?

20:18 21/06/2015 # ! Neutral (0)

#1 Recommendation: Queen's Blade.

23:40 21/06/2015 # ! Neutral (0)

My 40 yo daughter refused to watch after the first five minutes.

02:44 23/06/2015 # ! Neutral (0)

There's an article on the internet somewhere about a girl who watched that with her grandfather or something.

I take it you have no parents nor understand the concept.

16:50 21/06/2015 # ! Neutral (0)

The title doesn't state that the anime has to be a series, so I'd probably go with some Gibli movie.

There are some really good anime on this list but try telling your parents who know nothing about anime "Watch this 20+ episode anime".

The only one from this list I would consider is AnoHana. The other anime on this list are either too long or not something I would show a fist timer.

Comment by Bakamoichigei
    03:03 22/06/2015 # ! Neutral (0)

Hmm, only thing on there my father's ever seen in its entirety is Code Geass.

No 'Initial D' or anything like that? Come on. That seems like the kind of thing that'd be perfect to recommend to mundanes, especially dads. My father fuckin' LOVES Initial D... Though that may be because he's basically Bunta. I cannot ride a car that man is driving without bracing myself in my seat, and holding on for dear life.

06:23 22/06/2015 # ! Neutral (0)

My father doesn't like cars at all, so Initial D would be out of the question for him. But he loved Black Lagoon!
    Really, people with different "mainstream" tastes will also have different "minor subcultural" tastes, so this list has basically the same value as a "top movies you'd recommend to your dad" : only to know what a majority watched and enjoyed.

02:54 23/06/2015 # ! Neutral (0)

I bet my parents would like Lupin, seeing how they're big fans of James Bond and 70s stuff in general. Also, anime films like Grave of the Fireflies would be perfect to watch with most parents, I'm sure.

05:58 23/06/2015 # ! Neutral (0)

If I was going to try and interest my wife in anime (my parents are deceased), I would begin with something mature and less lurid, like "Summer Wars", the films of Kon Satoshi and move on to things like "Sola", "Gunslinger Girl", "Hell Girl" and "Shigofumi". After she saw that anime had good stories and characters, we could branch out to more of the fringe stuff.

22:48 22/06/2015 # ! Neutral (0)

My mother enjoyed Fullmetal Alchemist and Death Note.

11:45 22/06/2015 # ! Neutral (0)

Recent anime: Redline, maybe Yamato 2199.

Not sure how well The Fate series would go with someone who has studied enough Arthurian mythology to actually gets Elliot's references to Le Morte d'Arthur in The Wasteland; has read The Epic of Gilgamesh; and studied Celtic mythology and history for many years .

08:18 22/06/2015 # ! Neutral (0)

Show them Madoka only if they are of the intelligent lot. The series isn't easy to digest, after all.

Show them SAO if you want them to hate anime even more.

The other choices seem good so far.