Top 30 Most Appropriate Voices in Anime

Top30-Unsuitable-Character-Voices-2

A recent survey has mercilessly ranked the anime characters that fans believe to have the most suitable voices, regardless of the associated seiyuu’s popularity – with a certain moeblob of legend almost topping the ranking with her adorably well cast (it would seem) tones.

The ranking, boasting 10,000 votes:

1. Gintoki Sakata (Gintama)

Top30-Unsuitable-Character-Voices-1

2. Yui Hirasawa (K-ON!)

Top30-Unsuitable-Character-Voices-2

3. Kosaki Onodera (Nisekoi)

Top30-Unsuitable-Character-Voices-3

4. Izaya Orihara (Durarara!!)

Top30-Unsuitable-Character-Voices-4

5. Kirito (Sword Art Online)

Top30-Unsuitable-Character-Voices-5

6. Accelerator (A Certain series)

Top30-Unsuitable-Character-Voices-6

7. Koyomi Araragi (Monogatari Series)

Top30-Unsuitable-Character-Voices-7

8. Sebastian Michaelis (Black Butler)

Top30-Unsuitable-Character-Voices-8

9. Son Goku (Dragonball)

Top30-Unsuitable-Character-Voices-9

10. Monkey D. Luffy (One Piece)

Top30-Unsuitable-Character-Voices-10

11. Kuroko Shirai (A Certain Series)

12. Shuu Tsukiyama (Tokyo Ghoul)

13. Taiga Aisaka (Toradora!)

14. Levi (Attack on Titan)

15. Joutaro Kujo (Jojo’s Bizarre Adventure)

16. Lelouch Lamperouge (Code Geass: Lelouch of the Rebellion)

17. Lina Inverse (Slayers)

18. Yukino Yukinoshita (My Teen Romantic Comedy SNAFU)

19. Kuroko Tetsuya (Kuroko’s Basketball)

20. Chiyo Sakura (Monthly Girls’ Nozaki-kun)

21. Sakura Kinomoto (Cardcaptor Sakura)

22. Hitagi Senjougahara (Monogatari Series)

23. Haruhi Suzumiya (The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya)

24. Eli Ayase (Love Live!)

25. Doraemon (Doraemon)

26. Eren Yeager (Attack on Titan)

27. Nadeko Sengoku (Monogatari Series)

28. Takao Kazunari (Kuroko’s Basketball)

29. Lupin III (Lupin III)

30. Char Aznable (The Gundam franchise)

05:29 17/02/2015 # ! Quality (+1.0)

I believe 'もっとも声が合ってたと思うキャラ&声優 TOP30!' translates to 'Voices that were thought to be the most fitting - Characters & Voice Actors TOP30!'

So uh... I think this post needs fixing.

11:20 17/02/2015 # ! Good (+0.6)

Nice one sankaku. At least use rikaichan or something

12:20 17/02/2015 # ! Neutral (+0.4)

Indeed, that was a total fail translation.

Nope, the title is correct.
    It's 'mottomo koe ga atta to omou kyara to seiyuu'
    Basically translated to I think there is more suitable voice chara-seiyuu TOP30

09:37 17/02/2015 # ! Good (+0.6)

what the fuck are you talking about? reread this again and study your elementary Japanese 101 book you've neglected again. This literally means mottomo(the most) attateita (matching) kyara to omou (character who I think)putting it together means "the voices who you think are the most matchworthy to their characters and seiyuu." It says underneath kono koe shika nai desho!" meaning there's only this voice (for this character) right?! THis just proves that Sankaku uses primitive google translate tools instead of having people who can actually read Japanese. Sources: Speaks Japanese, passed N1.

09:25 17/02/2015 # ! Neutral (0)

most of the character up there had perfect enough voice; some is to the point of being unique. just what kind of retards that casted votes for this poll, is the biggest mystery

Here's a little 101:

もっとも(最も)mottomo - The most
    もっとmotto - More
    もmo - Also

motto mo ("more" + "also") used in succession makes no grammatical sense. If by any method, the phrase has to be fragmented.

12:07 17/02/2015 # ! Neutral (0)

and you forgot Moe.

10:35 18/02/2015 # ! Neutral (0)

Moonspeak is such a confusing language.

14:26 17/02/2015 # ! Neutral (0)

mottomo isn't always used with the kanji 最. In fact it is more often than not used with just the hiragana than in the Kanji form just like a lot of other phrases in Japanese. I asked randomly a couple native friends and they confirm this. There are no way to derive the meaning you want from that sentence even if you used motto and mo separately Motto-mo used in conjecture with that sentence.. It doesn't even matter that it sounds completely unnatural, it's just flat out wrong. もっとも(最も)声が合ってないと思うキャラ would be the intuitive and correct way to say what you want it to say.

07:42 17/02/2015 # ! Drivel (-1.0)

But then it still doesn't make sense, because Goku is on there and his Japanese voice is suicide worthy.

Comment by Yamato
    09:13 17/02/2015 # ! Quality (+0.8)

Nope, Goku's voice is fine. It suits his naivety and shows that, in some ways, he never really changed from his childhood (Masako Nozawa, the seiyuu in question, having voiced him throughout his entire lifetime). The problem is, most people in the west assume he's supposed to be Japanese Superman, thanks in part to a now-defunct English dub fucking around with his character.

Comment by Yamato
    12:30 17/02/2015 # ! Neutral (0)

@Anon 9:50

Your point? Goten and especially Gohan may not exactly be perfect inheritors of their father's traits, but nonetheless, Goku's children seem to act more or less as a reflection of himself in terms of the story. I realize that by this logic, every parent+child should be expected to share a voice actor, but then again, it's really not often that we have a series in which the viewers see firsthand a child main eventually grow up to have children of their own.

09:50 17/02/2015 # ! Neutral (0)

Goku, Gohan and Goten are all voiced by the same VA

Comment by Zippydsmlee
    13:47 17/02/2015 # ! Neutral (-0.2)

Nope...out of all the Anime I have seen Teen/Adult Goku's voice is by far the most out of place, its rare but the Dub voices are better this time around >>

/goes back under his rock

Comment by kamehappo
    22:07 17/02/2015 # ! Neutral (0)

Goku is alien and aliens have strange voices.

Comment by kamehappo
    04:52 17/02/2015 # ! Quality (+1.0)

Ah, a list of most suitable seiyuu voices for characters!

Perfect!

Comment by EndlessGr8
    04:21 17/02/2015 # ! Quality (+1.0)

Yui's voice - unsuitable? Seriously?!
    Toyosaki Aki is a fantastic singer and her bubbly voice is perfectly charming for Yui's childish and playful personality. I really couldn't imagine a better fitting voice If I'm honest...

05:03 17/02/2015 # ! Quality (+1.0)

Yeah, I totally agree. Thankfully, so think a lot of people who voted in this survey as the survey actually asked about the opposite, the best match.

Comment by Kaarme
    04:49 17/02/2015 # ! Good (+0.6)

Some of these voice actors / roles made me think the voters didn't realise the poll was asking for unsuitable instead of suitable.

If this poll had happened half a year later, they could have used Matsuoka Yoshitsugu's role as Yukihira Souma instead of Kirito. Now, that was a shock when I watched the PV.

05:47 17/02/2015 # ! Quality (+1.0)

No, no, the poster didn't realize they were asking the opposite.

a suitable voice for an airhead, but lets be honest, yoko hikasa as mio had the better singing voice. the fact that yui was the lead singer was just mind boggling. yui singing was like nails on a chalkboard awful

Comment by EndlessGr8
    08:31 17/02/2015 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

That's not the point...
    And Yui's singing voice is incredibly unique and characteristic. Combined with Hikasa's smoother deeper vocals, the two harmonize incredibly well. Yui is definitely better as the backup singer, but she's not bad in any way, just different.

04:39 17/02/2015 # ! Good (+0.8)

Aisaka Taiga's voice is unsuitable!? Blasphemy! Taiga's voice couldn't be any more perfect. Any other voice would just be wrong for her.

06:13 17/02/2015 # ! Good (+0.6)

100% agree here. Kugimiya Rie totally fits the part, in fact I'd go so far as to say that there is nobody else who is MORE appropriate for the part of Taiga than Rie!

I hereby declare list as fail.

08:14 17/02/2015 # ! Neutral (0)

I really don't get this list. A lot of them fits their characters perfectly.

06:09 17/02/2015 # ! Neutral (+0.4)

Probably the worst list I've seen on this site yet!

10:24 17/02/2015 # ! Neutral (+0.4)

Seriously, Gintoki in first place ? I mean, Sugita must be the most fitting voice actor for Gintoki.

08:55 17/02/2015 # ! Neutral (+0.4)

Gintoki that's not voiced by Sugita is no Gintoki

Comment by eridani
    06:12 17/02/2015 # ! Good (+0.4)

I agree on the inappropriate voice for: Goku, Lelouch
    I couldn't care less on those "bishounen" characters.
    I totally disagree on voices for: Gintoki, Lina Inverse, Chiyo, Luffy. They fit perfectly!

06:19 17/02/2015 # ! Neutral (+0.4)

Whoever made this post can't read Japanese: it's the MOST SUITABLE voice, idiot !

05:32 17/02/2015 # ! Neutral (+0.4)

If this was a ranking of the English dubbed versions, you'd have to include almost every single anime/character ever dubbed as tied for number 1 worst matchup. I think the only animes that I can tolerate the dubs for (at least that I can recall) are Blue Sub 6, Outlaw Star, and Cowboy Bebop.

Note: I said "tolerate" does not necessarily mean I like the dub...

Of course, I don't really watch dubs anymore, anyway...

08:50 17/02/2015 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

That made me remember, in Spain, Spike Spiegel shares the same actor with Woody Allen...

Comment by Yamato
    09:22 17/02/2015 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

Wow... you never watched an English dub since years before Toonami's first cancellation, have you? Well, I've kinda been in the same boat as you for a while, but trust me, while I can perfectly understand preferring the Japanese originals (and I still do favor them myself), English dubbing has improved tremendously over the last decade. Hell, just watch the rebooted Toonami block just to get a glimpse at the modern-day standards. Even DBZ technically has a proper dub now via Kai, and One Piece... oh man, ever since 4kids lost it and Funi picked it up, it's been just heavenly.

09:48 22/02/2015 # ! Neutral (0)

How's that for damning with faint praise. Dubbing is an awful mess. If it was worse ten or twenty years ago that doesn't make it good today. I've got to side with 05:32 on this one.

For what it's worth, the only dub I can watch a whole episode of is Kenshin. Jin-ei and Saito are great and even the female characters don't sound like the typical bubble-headed valley girl autotuned filtre that's applied to every female character's voice these days.

09:17 18/02/2015 # ! Neutral (0)

Blue Submarine number 6

I could use more of that!

List of Bad dub VAs.

- Anyone at Funimation
    - Anyone at Sentai Filmworks(ADV)
    - Blue Water dubs
    - Anyone who isn't Crispin Freeman

Hipster alert! Hipster alert!

11:43 17/02/2015 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

Quality post, sankaku. Go take Japanese 101 and try again.

05:24 17/02/2015 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

bullshit list

06:36 17/02/2015 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

tbh 99.9% of the lists posted on sancom are more towards the bullshit end of the scale

Comment by Sasazuka
    05:32 17/02/2015 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

I'm nowhere near fluent enough in Japanese to really judge how well a voice fits a character.

I do notice tonal mismatches, when a character's voice sounds far too mature for a character, and I am specifically thinking of Kuroko Shirai as voiced by the husky Satomi Arai, but Kuroko's distinctly non-cute 14-year old middle-aged woman voice is half the appeal of the character and I wouldn't want her voice sounding any different.

09:54 22/02/2015 # ! Neutral (0)

I think she should be number one on this list. Whoever picked her for the role deserves an award. While mismatched in theory, she delivers perfectly for the character.

I'll add that many characters on Railgun/Index are similarly well-voiced. Saten-san is wonderful in every respect but especially her voice. Misaka (and the MISAKAs), Uiharu, Himegami, Fukiyose, the delectable Orsola, Kanzaki Kaori… so many to choose from and I'm probably missing many.

I'm glad that Haruhi, Senjōgahara and Yukinoshita are here although Nagato seems to be missing in action.

05:35 17/02/2015 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

Really fucking retarded list.

05:59 17/02/2015 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

onodera's voice, inappropiate?
    kana hanazawa's voice is one of the best voice, so wtf

10:16 17/02/2015 # ! Neutral (0)

30. Char Aznable (The Gundam franchise)

He sounds better in English.

12:44 17/02/2015 # ! Neutral (0)

Unfortunately, Michael Kopsa wasn't used in the English dub of Z Gundam. Thomas Edwards did an awful job. Char shouldn't be on this list, at all. His voice actor is pretty goddamn iconic. This list is totally idiotic, though.

12:06 17/02/2015 # ! Neutral (0)

Son Goku should be #1.

No frikking contest.
    he sounds like an old high pitched woman on crack in the japanese dub.

..then again, i know it's an old woman.

12:11 17/02/2015 # ! Neutral (0)

2. Yui Hirasawa (K-ON!)
    Excuuuuuuuse me!?

11. Kuroko Shirai (A Certain Series)
    Why is she even on this list? her voice is heavenly!

23. Haruhi Suzumiya (The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya)
    WUT!?

I do agree about Goku's Japanese voice though.

10:12 17/02/2015 # ! Neutral (0)

I think Girls und Panzer is outstanding in Japanese, my only complaint is Mihos voice. I don't think it suits her, in either Japanese or English.

The rest of the girls are fantastic, they do cute, spirited, excited so well.