Ghost in the Shell Arise TV Anime Announced

CoolBeauty-Motoko-by-shirowmasamune

Cyberpunk classic Ghost in the Shell is set to receive a new TV anime based on its rather controversial Arise series, sure to disappoint those looking for a fresh Stand Alone Complex.

The news was announced via Ghost in the Shell’s official website and in honor of its 25th anniversary:

GhostintheShell-Arise-Anime

Whether it will merely be a TV rehack of the Arise OVAs or a new series in entirety has yet to be divulged, but fans will likely be underwhelmed in either case.

Comment by Chen-04
    22:28 11/01/2015 # ! Quality (+0.8)

Meh... Arise-Motoko was kind of an emotional bitch. Give me back the cool Motoko! And the cool other characters while you're at it. There's nothing fun about a dysfunctional section 9, where Motoko needs to eye-hack her own team member because he's a disobedient dick.

23:31 11/01/2015 # ! Neutral (+0.4)

I don't even need to go to dysfunctional to dismiss Arise. Episode 1: Sniper is a totally different personality, betrays team, dies. Episode 2: He is a-ok, still an asshole, still on the tem. what?

10:44 12/01/2015 # ! Neutral (0)

Motokos arms kept being ripped off too or shot off or whatever. Did they really need to keep doing that?

Comment by DieHardjagged
    00:20 12/01/2015 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

I dont know why everyone else is hating Arise, Sancom also did let me think Arise is "Bad" for trying something new and you know what? Arise FUCKING WORKED. I enjoyed watching it and everyone should give it a chance, you cant call yourself a GITS Fan if you hate this cause the Major looks different or the VA is new.
    Arise in itself was pretty good, so i really welcome a new Series.
    And let me say this again, having THIS is fucking better than having NOTHING at all. Stop pretending being butthurt, go with the Times and adapt.

00:47 12/01/2015 # ! Neutral (+0.4)

True in every respect. Arise is not a replacement for SAC anyway, and pretending it is is just foolish. Let them expand the universe. Just keep supporting them and keep expressing to the right sources that you want more SAC continuation. There IS a way to say 'yes, thank you for that, it was good for what it was, but please realize that we really wanted more of 'this'" and convey the message without being unnecessarily negative.

Comment by yuriphoria
    00:11 13/01/2015 # ! Neutral (0)

No. I'm not going to support Arise because I don't want Arise, I want something of the quality of SAC.

That's how voting with your wallets works.

07:14 13/01/2015 # ! Neutral (0)

If you're not Japanese, boycotting won't matter. And in America there's a lot of people who will buy it anyway and make Funimation or whoever licenses this profit.

While sankom did overstate the series shittiness, a couple of things I disliked about it. I hate how it's a prequel. If, like you said we're moving ahead with the times, I wish they'd make a continuation to SAC instead. I also didn't like Motoko's character design and the fact that she isn't voiced by Atsuko Tanaka. The only reason why they made her younger, is to make it more appealing to the moe otaku demographic obsessed with ephebophilia.

To me GITS is always was always about the evolving and increasingly complicated relationship between mankind and technology. That's what Motoko by herself embodies. Nowhere has it been more relevant than now. The old series (and the 1995 film) had their faults but they made you stop and think. To turn it into some sci fi ecchi cop drama is just missing the point. I hope they hire writers with at least some knowledge of computer science and modern technological trends.

Comment by Onanymouse
    09:34 12/01/2015 # ! Neutral (0)

Maaya Sakamoto did great as Motoko, and I knew she would ever since hearing that she is to voice the role. If being presented with the choice of Maaya Sakamoto or Atsuko Tanaka for the new movie and TV anime, I simply wouldn't care because they're equally convincing.

Not Maaya's fault the characters in Arise (and by extension some of their dialog) sucked.

04:10 12/01/2015 # ! Neutral (0)

hmm so now they go with arise, not that suprised, still want to see motoko going solo after leaving section9 ^-^, but yea happy that we get more GiTS

08:33 12/01/2015 # ! Neutral (0)

Underwhelmed? Not me. I'd watch it, even it if was a rehash of the OVAs.

Comment by Ishmon16
    Comment by kintama00
    20:51 11/01/2015 # ! Neutral (0)

yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay!

20:36 12/01/2015 # ! Neutral (0)

Meh. Maybe if they did something about a team similar to section 9 existing in the same universe. There's so much potential there.

Comment by Savon
    22:14 11/01/2015 # ! Neutral (0)

Sounds like we're about to get the Dragonball GT of GITS. We'll get one of two cool things out of the series and a few easter eggs relating to its predecessors but otherwise a waste of what is hopefully only 13 episodes and not 24 - 26.

Best case scenario tho, is that we get a shockingly good show, so I'm going to keep a little bit of hope.

Comment by Chen-04
    22:30 11/01/2015 # ! Neutral (0)

GT was superior, though. It had basically the same number of cool fights in a decent amount of episodes. What's fun about watching a single battle for >50 episodes? NOTHING.

00:23 12/01/2015 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

Credit where credits due. GT didn't have 2 million episodes of the same character powering up, pretty much non stop AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH.

Dragonball was supperior, Z and GT were just milking the fans

01:52 12/01/2015 # ! Neutral (0)

BangYou's Android 18 doujin > the entire dragon ball franchise.

Comment by Chen-04
    08:51 12/01/2015 # ! Neutral (0)

Dragon Ball started out okay, but it quickly turned sour. Too many episodes. Don't know when the last time was you guys watched any of this or how old you were then, but DB and DBZ were just boring most of the time there were lots of episodes of Gohan just walking through the wilderness doing nothing at all.

GT didn't have that. GT was like going on an adventure... not watching Goku defeat strongest opponent ever number twelve. "This is the strongest one!." (Piccolo) - "No, this one is much stronger than the strongest one." (Radditz) - "This time I'm not kidding, this next guy is much, much stronger then the last strongest guy." (Nappa) - "But wait.. this was only a weakling compared to the next strongest guy" (Vegeta) - "No.. this is just the beginning.....

Frieza (and all his different forms)
    Android No. 16/17/18
    Cell (and all his different forms)
    Boo (and all his different forms)

Seriously.. that's as exciting as watching a boxing match, which only ranks as slightly more exciting than watching grass grow.

DragonBall > DragonBall Kai > DBZ > DBGT

23:28 11/01/2015 # ! Neutral (0)

"you don't like ARISE? Have more ARISE!" why? is it some investment they need to recoup by any means? Especially with a TV series it is so weird.

Comment by DieHardjagged
    00:18 12/01/2015 # ! Neutral (-0.2)

Having an Arise Series is better than fucking nothing. Be thankful once.

01:24 12/01/2015 # ! Neutral (0)

It is more to please those who like cyberpunk, although many think mecha and cyberpunk is the same but are different types of fans.
    Few anime that explores this type as psycho pass or one that should come back .. Ergo Proxy
    Gits suffers from its own success, which will hardly be overcome ..
    Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex .. January 2004..11 years. has already passed 11 years .. I met gits at PS1, I did not know that the manga was so old ..

11:15 12/01/2015 # ! Neutral (0)

The movie from Mamoru Oshii turns 20 this year.

22:32 11/01/2015 # ! Neutral (0)

They decided to milk GitS to death, huh?

Comment by Dan
    23:12 11/01/2015 # ! Neutral (0)

I don't think waiting so many years to make more content really qualifies as milking it to death.

I, for one am excited. GitS:SAC is pretty much the show that got me into anime. I'm just happy we finally get more. \o/

23:29 11/01/2015 # ! Neutral (0)

But you are not getting more, it's not SAC.

Comment by Dan
    00:27 12/01/2015 # ! Neutral (0)

It's not like SAC is the only good GitS.

21:09 11/01/2015 # ! Neutral (0)

Arise's story was weaker than previous Ghost in the Shell entries but it was better than expected.

00:25 12/01/2015 # ! Neutral (0)

I don't mind an Arise series, the characters are more flawed/damaged than their Stand Alone Complex counterparts. Motoko pretty much got them out of jail to join her team, they're not going to be as trusted as what they were in SAC.

20:58 11/01/2015 # ! Neutral (0)

GitS Stand Alone Complex is my personal all time best Anime series ever made and one of the best tv shows ever, animated or otherwise. Which is maybe why I'm often bewildered by most of Sankaku's audience.

Needless to say, this news saddens me a lot.

Comment by Chen-04
    22:33 11/01/2015 # ! Neutral (0)

It doesn't have much rewatch value, though. I watched it over a decade ago and still don't feel like watching it again, since I still know pretty much everything that was going on. Waste of time to watch again.