AKB48 Joins the Brawl

SmashBrothers-VS-AKB48-Promotion-1

The popular Nintendo fighters of the next highly anticipated entry into the Smash Brothers franchise have been met with new challengers of (for optimists at least) the most unexpected sort – with the likes of AKB48 ready to pit their legendary self-defense skills against Nintendo’s combatants in their latest inescapable TV ad.

Said TV spot with the customized AKB48 idol Miis in action:

SmashBrothers-VS-AKB48-Promotion-2

SmashBrothers-VS-AKB48-Promotion-3

SmashBrothers-VS-AKB48-Promotion-4

SmashBrothers-VS-AKB48-Promotion-5

SmashBrothers-VS-AKB48-Promotion-6

While AKB’s game tie-ups are not exactly unprecedented, the Smash Brothers franchise might be a stretch even for them.

Smash Brothers for the 3DS is slated to arrive in the US on October 3rd and September 13th for those in Japan, whilst the Wii U version is set for a Christmas release.

07:04 09/09/2014 # ! Neutral (+0.4)

ugly as hell and generic, just like the real thing.

02:28 10/09/2014 # ! Neutral (0)

I'm pretty sure this Anonymous is downvote-kun. Why would he get quite a lot of upvotes, while everyone else has downvotes on mass lol.

I think it's "en mass".

06:43 09/09/2014 # ! Neutral (+0.3)

who likes the mii designs? It looks stupid.

07:28 12/09/2014 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

What some of the mentally defective filth in here fail to understand is that the game allows for customized Miis, not that the game will include AKB48...

16:22 11/09/2014 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

My Smash as ruined like hell.

Comment by SunnyJ
    07:20 09/09/2014 # ! Neutral (+0.1)

Wow, good way to spin it SanCom. You do realize they were advertising the fact that you can design your own Mii and fight using them, right?

Instead, let's play the AKB48 hate card and rally up some angry discussion.

Honestly who care's who they use, and using AKB48 in an advertisement for JAPAN makes sense with their chart rankings (which could be disputed). Instead of generic Miis, let's use someone people know (for better or worse).

You'd probably call it a stretch if they used some kind of US band... or for the lulz, let's throw in the Avengers for a US promo video! That would be a stretch.

21:05 11/09/2014 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

That's all fine and good, but I'm personally just annoyed that they used AKB48 to promote that idea. They did it better when they made those miis of Elijah Wood and Abe Lincoln. AKB48 is everywhere these days, it's annoying. Even more annoying than Miku, who in comparison probably deserves the fame more (I admit). But what can you do, it's effective advertising as I read that this actually helped visibly increase sales or something (wow, AKB48 fans are that gullible, eh? It's not like they're actually part of the game, just made up content). It's like when they advertise this in the US they're gonna use disney kids or something, or Miley Cyrus. It's not out of their league, they used Christina Aguilera already... ugh. I'm actually surprised they don't fill their Nintendo Video updates with Phineas and Ferb rather than Cartoon Hangover (thankfully whoever runs this aspect of Nintendo doesn't have completely terrible taste... but I bet if they could have used Disney content they would have). I just see this as cheap and tasteless business tactics, especially coming from Nintendo.

Well it clearly worked these people must have missed when Sakarai first announced Miis were playable in Smash and had people like Ice Cube and Elija Wood Miis to demonstrate it.

Otaku pandering doesn't increase sales stupid. Remember when M$ tried that and failed miserably?

06:44 09/09/2014 # ! Neutral (+0.1)

Nintendo is dead.

Comment by Chen-04
    20:02 09/09/2014 # ! Neutral (-0.3)

Nintendo is dying since around 1996. It's just a very slow death. By now their irrelevant to most gamers. They're only still around because they managed to sell the Wii to non-gamers. Somehow people thought that made them relevant again when in fact gamers mostly just laughed and pointed fingers.

21:08 11/09/2014 # ! Neutral (0)

Says the 'mon with the Pikachu avatar...

You are just *all* kinds of full of yourself, aren't you?

Irrelevant? To those who have fleeting interests and the attention span of a goldfish? I was at my local gamestop on release day for the wiiu and I took off work to stand in line AT work for the wii because I knew how many we had and I wasn't going to pass up the chance to get one and then have to wait another several months to try and get one.

I would rather go nintendo than $ony or Micro$oft any day.

And by "gamers" you mean polygon-obsessed dimwits, right? I wasn't laughing or pointing fingers at all. I have having a damn fine time, thank you very much.

Comment by Chen-04
    05:52 11/09/2014 # ! Good (+0.6)

Nintendo Defense Force doesn't count, obviously.

04:35 13/09/2014 # ! Neutral (0)

The "Nintendo Defense Force" is huge enough to count, though.

Not the portatile console gamers

The Wii was't their only console, the mighty DS

Long live AKB48.

Hopefully a new Saw guy rises up to help destroy AKB48.

Saw Guy should go down as a legend, for each saw guy that passes, a new one arises. Make it happen Japan.

Add in some Highlander special effects(If people here have seen the movie) lol

he was just a random guy passing on some people-frenzy random place.Too bad he didn't pass the Comiket.

Make a mii of the Saw guy. Make it destroy AKB48 miis. Fun.

01:13 10/09/2014 # ! Neutral (0)

Which we will not be seeing outside of Japan because there is a God and He is good.

21:22 11/09/2014 # ! Neutral (0)

Oh I get it, this is just nintendo telling us that they will be the ones to save us from the vile army of AKB48. 48 vs 48. Don't worry they've got this.

07:01 09/09/2014 # ! Neutral (0)

I know how to defeat them!

21:06 11/09/2014 # ! Neutral (0)

Well mario has a hammer... hehe.

Never too soon.

06:16 09/09/2014 # ! Neutral (0)

How the giant has fallen...

06:17 09/09/2014 # ! Neutral (+0.1)

I wonder what real world brand they'll attempt to shoehorn into Zelda on Wii U? Perhaps Link can wear Nike branded shirts, maybe some Nike shoes too? Gotta be trendy bro

21:07 11/09/2014 # ! Neutral (0)

Old Navy shirts, straight from the slums of Bangladesh. If you're gonna get cheap and dirty in business why not go all the way, right

06:27 09/09/2014 # ! Neutral (+0.1)

Oh no, a commercial showing that you can make anyone you want on a Mii maker, how terrible

I love how you got downvoted for commenting on that. What's wrong with people?

There's an autistic guy mass downvoting people. I know it's not a bot as certain comments that are pretty dumb by Anonymous get randomly upvoted while 99.9 percent of others are left alone.

07:47 09/09/2014 # ! Neutral (0)

Can you play as the giant glove thing in Smash Bros? because that would be funny..

Nintendo are acting like such sellouts with their major franchises now, look at what they're doing with Mario Kart 8 with some of the branded cars added. Now they're desperately trying to appeal to the AKB48 hoarde in the hope they'll buy a Wii U. None of this shit belongs in Nintendo games, only Nintendo franchises + special partnerships with random game studios(At most) characters like Solid Snake are acceptable.

Anyway I'm sure the autistic kid that's downvoting everyone will hit this post soon. Hi bro, keep up the good work ;)

The goal of any business is to literally become a sell you do realise this right?

21:12 11/09/2014 # ! Neutral (0)

Anyone can sell with cheap tactics. It takes a true pro to sell with dignity and maintain integrity. If I ran a business I would sacrifice some cash if it meant I wasn't having my name dragged through the mud. I love nintendo but I agree it's been doing a few unsightly things in their marketing lately. And they say sex is the lowest common denominator.. I say mindless POP is. If they wanted to get cheap I'd have them rather resort to using sex to sell.

Before the Wii U, they never put real world branded cars into Mario Kart games, it's stupid. If we wanted real world cars, we could buy Gran Turismo, or something like Forza Horizon.

You take away the essence of the game by putting real world branded cars into games like this.

well maybe if more of you assholes would by Nintendo stuff still instead of just calling them sellouts they wouldn't have to.
    Seriously Nintendo is the only company I know where it's main owners willingly take pay cuts when their company isn't doing well.
    Does seeing 1 fucking brand of car in Mario Kart really fuck you over? Does seeing an ad for a very popular musical group in Japan that we won't even state side make your life any different?
    It's still Nintendo and they still make awesome games. Even if you don't buy them.

Hell I bought a Wii U just for Earthbound. I'm happy to give Nintendo money no matter how bad they sell out.

11:32 09/09/2014 # ! Neutral (+0.1)

>bought wii u for earthbound

what, was that supposed to impress us? That just means your a shitty hipster.

lol, you'd be a shitty hipster for gettin a Wii U and not buying one of the most popular nintendo games ever. A "hipster" goes against the "sheep" for the hell of it. Thankfully being a nintendo sheep isn't such a bad thing.

07:55 09/09/2014 # ! Neutral (0)

The funny thing is they wouldn't have to if they actually bothered to make a decent console with strong 3rd party support. Instead we get a rehashed Wii with a tablet for a controller.

And the less said about their online stuff the better. It still sucks almost as much as the Wii and its friend codes.

The Wii was successful because it catered to casuals. The Wii U fails because it's aimed at people who already own a Wii and see no good reason to upgrade.

Maybe Smash Bros will save it. Can't screw it up worse than Mario Kart's 'battle mode' at least.

rage on fan boy

Man your an idiot, Nintendo is a billion dollar company, you ranting to people on here about put there games isn't going to save them from going bankrupt like you're making it seem. Mindless idiots like you who support corporations no matter what are the reason why companies like Nintendo are doing shit like this.

The last good SSB was melee anyway, brawl was mediocre at absolute best and this one looks even worse than brawl. I really don't even care about the series at this point.

01:01 10/09/2014 # ! Neutral (0)

lol, when you say the "last" good SSB you make it seem like there were a bunch of Smash games between Melee and now. There was only one game you should have just said Melee is better than Brawl.

Comment by Chen-04
    19:57 09/09/2014 # ! Neutral (-0.3)

True. Still playing melee with friends. It's just one of the best games to play with friends out there.

I rather watch AKB0048 Anime than this game.

Comment by Benoist
    02:24 10/09/2014 # ! Neutral (-0.2)

mii are cheap, ugly and boring as fuck. Perfect fit.

Now, i miss anime and ham-ham versions of Minimoni...

Comment by MARl0
    09:28 09/09/2014 # ! Neutral (-0.2)

Can't wait to play this game. I'm importing the 3DS version on Friday. I'll wait for the North American version of the Wii U version though.

you know that the nintendo 3DS is region locked right?

Comment by MARl0
    12:05 12/09/2014 # ! Neutral (0)

I know that, I've had an import 3DS for years. Anyway, the demo of the game is awesome, so I can't wait to play the final game tomorrow!