arising-motoko-by-fumio

The release of the fourth and final installment of the disastrously ill-received Arise has been accompanied by news that Production IG plans a new Ghost in the Shell movie for 2015.

Production IG’s president says the 2015 movie will be a “challenging” celebration of the 25 years since the original manga was published and 20 since the first movie, but has left all other details – most crucially for fans the question of whether it will continue the Arise series or take place in the separate movie and SAC canons – for a future announcement.

The surly online response to the news suggests IG will have their work cut out for them rescuing the franchise from the legacy of Arise:

“Who cares.”

“Keep destroying that brand!”

“Doesn’t Masamune Shirow just spend all his time drawing ero-manga nowadays?”

“Just make a live action version and be done with it.”

“At least this new one will sell well overseas I guess.”

“I guess this will be a sequel to Innocence?”

“More Arise I fear…”

“Please no more Arise!”

“That cheap character design from Arise has to go.”

“A Mamoru Oshii sequel to Innocence is about the only thing I’d be prepared to watch now.”

“I don’t think they can top the CG and traditional animation style of Innocence this time.”

“SAC was the best. The right balance and a plot you could actually understand. Arise should have at least had a Motoko who was as cheerful as she was in the original manga.”

“SAC or Oshii please. No more shoddy Arise rubbish.”

“It all depends on the character design, Motoko seiyuu and director this time around.”

“If Motoko is a complete full-body cyborg, why should we care about the design of her body or what voice she uses?”

07:17 08/09/2014 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

Just let it die. Franchise as a whole, and Arise in particular. Even Masamune himself forget about it long ago. It would be better to animate his hentai works, lol.

05:13 12/09/2014 # ! Neutral (0)

The manga, the first film and innocence, and the SAC series are each awesome in their own different ways as separate things, imo. The problem with Arise is that while it's still good, it kinda clearly falls flat among each of those past entries in the series. It doesn't excel even in it's own way in comparison to past entries. That said I'm all for a new movie to see where they go with it this time, especially if it's a different direction from Arise or related to one of the past entries in the series.

05:17 12/09/2014 # ! Neutral (0)

I just want to add, I don't feel like GitS is really Shirow's baby anymore. The original manga was, but since then it's really been an inspiration behind completely new things in different medias. The manga was shirow's, but the anime film was Mamoru Oshii's, and the tv series was Kenji Kamiyama's. The last two owe credit of inspiration towards Shirow but Shirow isn't really the one to thank for any of the animated parts of the series.

02:23 08/09/2014 # ! Neutral (+0.1)

I don't mind with the new chara design
    I don't mind with few cliche
    I don't mind with new VA
    I do mind about the plot and storyline

granted that not every part of the franchise succeeded

Comment by Chen-04
    04:43 08/09/2014 # ! Neutral (-0.1)

Same, but I did mind that the third episode of arise was pretty much dedicated to Motoko being in love. With a men.

...that just totally broke her character.

07:09 08/09/2014 # ! Neutral (+0.1)

She always was bisexual.

17:00 25/10/2014 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

Erhm... from the ghost in her shell perhaps??
    What the fuck have you been reading thus far?

Comment by Chen-04
    17:51 08/09/2014 # ! Neutral (+0.1)

Yes, but she never was a maiden in love with clouded judgment and stuff. With a fully prosthetic body, where did those hormones come from anyway..

05:51 08/09/2014 # ! Neutral (+0.1)

She had a boyfriend in the manga.

04:47 08/09/2014 # ! Neutral (0)

While I dislike the cliched "need" to have a romantic subplot, especially for female characters, I also dislike it when people dismiss these stories out of hand just because they have a girl falling in love with a man. Did Spike's character suffer for him being in love with a woman? Can't characters be bisexual or even possibily pansexual?

05:16 09/09/2014 # ! Neutral (+0.3)

>Motoko isn't supposed to

Ah, there's your problem. You think you know better. You can't stand to see what might have driven your character to become the person she was in the other series, especially not if she has to make typically cliched mistakes.

08:35 08/09/2014 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

No surprises a lot of otaku can't relate to a relationship arc

Comment by Chen-04
    17:57 08/09/2014 # ! Neutral (-0.1)

Cowboy Bebop was a complete trainwreck of a show anyway. No sense pointing fingers at that excuse of an anime.

The problem with arise is that Motoko isn't supposed to be some naive girl that falls in love with some dude and this all "No, he can't be evil 'cause I'm in love with him."

I wouldn't mind a romantic subplot if she stayed in character for it.

Comment by Robert

Solid State Society actually reconnected a few of those missing dots. So there was a parasite type of storyline (puppet master) withheld. It all comes full circle in a way, because without the Major, there would be no villain.

00:38 08/09/2014 # ! Neutral (+0.1)

I want a Stand Alone Complex 3rd Gig, the series was perfect in the way it was set up. 24-26 episodes of well paced Ghost in the Shell goodness would work for me. I would even buy the Japanese Blu Rays if they had subs.

22:14 11/09/2014 # ! Neutral (0)

Solid State Society was actually as close to a 3rd gig as it gets.

This is either gonna a be an addon to Arise or a 4th movie.

I just want some preteen girl to put it in and watch my union pacific big boy train go around my set because I got a new table and a rural countryside now.

22:49 07/09/2014 # ! Neutral (+0.1)

is Microsoft a sponsor? then it's Arise.

06:17 08/09/2014 # ! Neutral (0)

Based on todays mass produced sex robots - from 10,000 dollar life sized life like with exchangable pussies, to blow up dolls, Motoko didn't get that bad of a deal in Arise's movie after all. THey would all be bland as hell from a company mass producting them at 2,000 a day.

08:09 08/09/2014 # ! Neutral (0)

It sucked back in the day too.

06:57 08/09/2014 # ! Neutral (0)

Very exciting news.

01:49 08/09/2014 # ! Neutral (0)

The cyborgs and transient soul beings of today would use Vocaloid Identitys today, if not XenoGears and Xenosaga works...

21:08 07/09/2014 # ! Neutral (0)

It's ok. Real boring though. Needs nudity.

01:46 08/09/2014 # ! Neutral (0)

Ghost in the Shell has never been about the nudity. If you think otherwise, I hope a Tachikoma shoots a bullet up your anus.

Comment by Chen-04
    04:47 08/09/2014 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

You probably don't remember those pages they cut out for the US release of the manga... or the frequent lesbian encounters Motoko had in both the manga and the anime.

Masamune Shirow is all about nudity, pleb

Comment by Chen-04
    18:02 08/09/2014 # ! Neutral (0)

Even the TV show had its decent share of fanservice. Maybe they cut that out for the US release, too.

07:00 08/09/2014 # ! Neutral (0)

@06:54 I was speaking about the TV anime buttmunch.

@02:05 Not with Ghost in the Shell noobcakes.

@03:45
    graphic novels say otherwise, stupid amerifat

Comment by Cypherous
    20:29 07/09/2014 # ! Neutral (0)

I don't personally mind arise, ok the new character design was annoying to get used to but personally i enjoyed what i've seen of arise so far, not "masterpiece" level i'll admit but its not terrible, also making a live action movie would be terrible, it would be mostly CG anyway so there would be zero point in the first place :P

Comment by Cypherous
    21:47 07/09/2014 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

lol trolls downvoting an opinion because it doesn't agree with theirs <3 the internet

22:01 07/09/2014 # ! Neutral (+0.1)

Arise was fine but as stated above the character designs where just bad.

Comment by Cypherous
    23:23 07/09/2014 # ! Neutral (+0.1)

Well i never really had an issue with them, and to be fair considering the universe they live in and how often she body hopped anyway its not like the character design needs to be set in stone, aslong as they are still the same characters a few cosmetic differences shouldn't really matter to fans :)

They are just trying for the top ass-hat award of SC.

It's not 'trolls' it's a singular mouth breather with no social life who clearly has had his feelings hurt doing it. It's happening on every topic and has done for about a week now. Pathetic individual.

Comment by WEL
    01:07 08/09/2014 # ! Neutral (-0.1)

Ghost in the Shell is in my Top 5 favorite anime franchises but Arise makes me want to commit suicide. What an horrendous piece of shit... Cliche, cheesy and boring beyond belief just like Mardock Scramble. Tow Ubukata is a failure as a writer.

02:55 08/09/2014 # ! Neutral (+0.1)

It makes you want to commit suicide? You must have very little to live for. I feel sad for you. I shall help with your suicide, as it's a good thing both for you and this world.

05:44 08/09/2014 # ! Neutral (0)

Yeah, then you can stay behind and continue enjoying this world get even shittier. Ha ha ha.

09:51 26/09/2014 # ! Neutral (0)

Are you really trying to make living, breathing people feel envious of suicidal retards? I have a lot of money and a hot wife, I do not give a mad fuck if the world gets shittier

that forehead!

Wah... I like ARISE

boom fa

i am disappointed by the new character design.
    i wonder if they can pull off the series with the new changes, i personally don't see it happening.
    all i can do is just wait and see.

“At least this new one will sell well overseas I guess.”

Yeah, I'm pretty sure none of us bought Arise either.

Comment by keik
    08:13 08/09/2014 # ! Neutral (-0.2)

Shirow nowadays is like that hacker dude from GITS vol 1- lurking in his work den, surrounded with naked, voluptuous (and drawn) androids, fapping on money and being forever alone as always.
    My guess is the talk with animation staff is like:
    MS: can we add some more oddly shaped nipples?
    animators: no, we can't add any nipples.
    MS: ok, so fuck this shit, going home, do as you please.

also

people who didn't read manga nor watch Oshi's anime probably don't give a flying fuck if the series is anything close to the GITS oldfags know or not, if there's fap material they're ok with it.

05:35 12/09/2014 # ! Neutral (0)

Sounds like you're overly cynical about sexual content in anime/manga, like "whatever, everything is just fap material these days". The older you go back in GitS, the more sexual and nude it gets... Arise is the tamest compared to all of those, yet it also pales in all other aspects, so I don't get your figuring. Judging by that, I'd say more nudity might be reminiscent of more guts to touch on other more mature or gutsy themes, meaning a better story/direction over all. I fapped to the orignal GitS film, I admit, and yet I still liked it for everything else it had to offer too. I know, it's incomprehensible, but it's true.

Comment by Kohaku
    08:50 08/09/2014 # ! Neutral (-0.2)

And the downvote bots are up on sankaku again, yay...

Comment by DieHardjagged
    21:58 08/09/2014 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

As always, i still curse the day when Artefact implemented the Voting System.

Comment by DieHardjagged
    20:18 07/09/2014 # ! Neutral (-0.3)

Of course it will be Arise-Themed.
    Do people really think they will continue with the Old Storyline when you have Arise right before you?

05:36 12/09/2014 # ! Neutral (0)

I don't know, depends on how well Arise has been doing in their eyes, I guess. I have no idea of its success. If they feel it bombed then maybe this could be somewhat of a surprise.

cant understand the hate about arise its not bad the story of 3 was a little flat but 1-2 where not bad at all.