Japanese Government “Will Stamp Out Anime Streaming”

yosuga-ga-sukunai

The Japanese government is promising to finally stamp out illicit anime streaming sites overseas, and in China in particular, and replace them with an official streaming site with the cooperation of publishers and studios.

As part of the Abe administration’s efforts to muscle in on the anime industry and roll it into its “Cool Japan” programme, thankfully taking a break from attacking it with censorship for now, the Ministry of Economy, Trade and Industry is teaming up with 15 publishers and studios to quash illicit anime streaming sites.

In contrast to the previous disorganised efforts by individual companies to restrain the domination of international anime by “pirate sites,” this time around a “large scale” operation to “exterminate” the sites, although what measures they can take against sites based in China is not clear.

Their first step in this operation is to be sending takedown demands to 580 sites on the first of August, to be followed by the establishment of an officially endorsed streaming site carrying some 250 titles new and old.

The new site will be available for the equivalent of “several hundred yen a month,” although strangely no details or marketing fanfare for this new site are in evidence (and similar efforts in the form of daisuki.net and an upcoming Kadokawa/NicoNico site seem not to have made much impact either).

The ministry is keen to proceed despite the lack of details, as one of their PR flacks enthuses:

“We wish to ensure overseas fans can safely enjoy Japanese works legally, and to make a system where anime studios and publishers see their profits returned to them.”

Culture ministry guesses are that this year Chinese sites alone raked in over 560 billion yen in illegal sales, which Japanese companies saw not a penny of – and which would certainly finance the creation of more than a few new series were it actually to find its way to studios.

What impact unauthorised distribution of titles Japanese publishers never even bothered to market overseas had on sales, such as they are, has as usual been ignored – some uncomfortable studies do suggest it may have been a positive one, much as the huge “grey” market for unauthorised doujin works hardly seems to damage “white” publisher revenues, and the international appearance of the likes of Naruto can hardly be attributed to savvy marketing on the part of Japanese companies.

Amongst Japanese there is cynicism as to whether freeloading barbarian fans will ever pay their way as the Japanese so fastidiously maintain they do:

“Destroy the gaijin!”

“I bet they mean several hundred yen per title, not unlimited as the report seems to suggest but doesn’t actually say explicitly. Although at high quality that would be quite good.”

“If not it would seem to be impossible to compete with CR.”

“The ones who never buy would never have bought anything so their ‘losses’ to piracy are non-existent.”

“Doesn’t mean they are obligated to let them watch for free!”

“TV is behind the times – but they will never succeed with their series spread willy-nilly over a bunch of different paysites. They need to reform their distribution model as well.”

“That’s right. I looked up the legal streaming sites after reading this – we have d-anime-store, Gyao!, U-NEXT, Hulu, NicoNico, Bandai Channel, Noitami Channel – who the hell knows where they can watch which title out of this lot! Looking through all their unlimited plans to try to find one where you can actually get all the series you want, anyone would soon lose interest. They need to consolidate.”

“I live in America – you can’t subscribe to any of the domestic Japanese streaming services from overseas, you can’t watch on demand, there are no broadcasts on normal TV channels, and importing DVDs costs a fortune. There aren’t any legal options for most shows, they need to address this.”

“Don’t forget, most Japanese never buy the discs either – they are just watching for free on TV.”

“I wish they would actually make all shows viewable on TV throughout Japan.”

“Right – for the stuff not shown on satellite there are shows which are only shown in certain regions by certain stations.”

“The overseas releases are $100 for a season box set, the Japanese releases are $80 for two episodes…”

“What about FC2?”

“Give the old anime a break. You can’t get them rental or as new discs nowadays.”

“It’s whack-a-mole, but if you leave them alone matters only get worse.”

“Just promoting a single official anime site overseas would probably do more to discourage illicit streaming than a crackdown.”

“Why did they leave it so long?”

Comment by cats2
    14:25 29/07/2014 # ! Quality (+1.0)

I think I should make an anime streaming site now.

When they try to take me down I'll sue the fuck out of them and call it a monopoly for sites like Crunchy Roll.

Comment by cats2
    16:35 29/07/2014 # ! Good (+0.6)

Then when I go "legitimate" like CR did with its pirate roots, I'll demand a gross part of ALL the income.

FREE MONEY!

16:16 29/07/2014 # ! Good (+0.6)

this would be a classified as a civil lawsuit, and no matter who wins: jail has nothing to do with it.

but it's funny when people like you show the rest of us how dumb you are. keep trolling bro

03:35 30/07/2014 # ! Neutral (0)

Actually, some countries would class this under the same as 'counterfeiting goods', which is a CRIMINAL offense.

Comment by ayami123
    22:35 31/07/2014 # ! Neutral (0)

Then Why is CrunchyRoll Still Functioning

17:13 29/07/2014 # ! Neutral (0)

Pbbbt haha haha.

15:41 29/07/2014 # ! Neutral (0)

Real hardcore gangster stream up that AOT or Madoka shit like real OG. They should be locked up along with the rapists and murderers......?

15:05 29/07/2014 # ! Good (+0.9)

The problem with promoting anime overseas is the risk that anime companies will start pandering to foreign tastes. I watch anime for its unique perspective and I don't want it becoming corrupted by foreign moralist, feminist or religious groups.

16:01 29/07/2014 # ! Quality (+1.0)

I know what you mean. Whenever someone makes a good show in the west, feminists and other interest groups try to "change" it to make it "better", "moderner" etc. This is how they ruined Family Guy, Ben Ten, and many other shows that were great without others medling with it. Not to mention movies like Godzilla and Dragon Ball. Hollywood can't make anything original anymore.

16:48 29/07/2014 # ! Good (+0.6)

16:01 Well! That's easy we just adopt the Grand Theft Auto formula and be so vocal. That we just laugh the feminist and other groups trying to change what we love out of the building.

00:41 30/07/2014 # ! Neutral (0)

Holy Shit! Did you see the outrage Feminists tried to orchestrate after GTA V? We are not in the clear just yet. Its not impossible the next GTA protag is going to some whiny thin bitch who is "brave" and shit. (One thing you will never get from Internet feminists is a game with an actually badass heroine)

18:09 29/07/2014 # ! Neutral (0)

Hey there I just started viewing family guy from start to finish is my goal how did they ruined I like it so far I'm in ep 10 season 9 I really enjoy it I'm a little tired of anime and of this, O we got season one of some anime let's wish as hard as we f**** can for season 2 3 4 and one its out another 3 to 5 year wait fuck that been waiting for spice and wolf for so long

08:38 30/07/2014 # ! Neutral (0)

@ Anon 18:09

Zero Punctuation needs to be left to Yahtzee Croshaw.

15:49 30/07/2014 # ! Neutral (0)

There can only be one Yahtzee. Nobody else in the world can speak without any punctuation.

01:33 30/07/2014 # ! Neutral (0)

Another feminist rant.

12:44 30/07/2014 # ! Neutral (0)

Something wrong with the world? It's the fault of the other half which sancom basement dwellers have no contact with. (Naturally assuming their mothers won't have anything to do with them once they started wanking)

22:25 29/07/2014 # ! Good (+0.7)

NO pandering to the west. The majority of people here are stupid, have no imagination, and are easily offended about anything.

Right now the reboot of sailor moon is getting ass-raped by a couple of feminist 'slip-ins' done to the show. I don't like how the west has been bullying people into accepting the current fads of "modernism" or else type of attitude.

I want my fantasy and I want my waifus, now fucka off.

02:08 30/07/2014 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

Can you not be such a pathetic sex-crazed weeaboo.

"The majority of people here are stupid, have no imagination, and are easily offended about anything."

The same could be said about Japan based on the articles on Sankaku alone.

"Right now the reboot of sailor moon is getting ass-raped by a couple of feminist 'slip-ins' done to the show. "

That's a first. What is so 'feminist' about the new Sailor Moon? As a matter of fact, what is not feminist about the old Sailor Moon?

"I don't like how the west has been bullying people into accepting the current fads of "modernism" or else type of attitude."

The "west" (a vague term if I ever did know one) isn't bullying anyone. And what is this modernism you speak of? If anything, modern Japan and your infatuation with it is the poster child for modernism.

"I like Japan a lot because it's VERY sensual. You don't get the amount of sexyness like Japan over in the West because of the amount of butthurt tools making sure it won't happen."

So Japan is so great to you because they do sex "better"? Well whatever floats your boat. But you are not looking that hard when it comes to the sexuality of both the "west" and "Japan" (since it seems Japan is the only Asian nation that does sexyness).

"You gave me pantsu, lolis, and onna to stick my penis into while I was furiously fapping under my desk. Don't botch manga and anime for these over-sensitive fuck heads today."

Because Japanese otaku aren't over-sensitive fuck heads.

"I want my fantasy and I want my waifus, now fucka off."

And nobody, not even this law is taking that away from you.

01:34 30/07/2014 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

I don't think there's cause for concern, as the Western market and its influence over the mix of anime being made peaked around 2004-05.

09:08 01/08/2014 # ! Neutral (0)

I couldnt say it any better my self.
    I wish NA can be more like Japan

That's a good example of the of the damage that Westernization has already done. Look at how modest those terrible CGI transformation sequences are in the new Sailor Moon. All because Westerners lose their shit if they see a cartoon girl in non-sexual nudity for a split-second.

00:52 30/07/2014 # ! Neutral (+0.4)

Right now, I'm terribly fearful of what the 2020 Olympics will do to Japan. Sure, it's going to be a great boost for the economy, but at what cost?

I fear that the Olympics will pretty much decimate Otaku culture as it is as the government might see the Olympics and an impetus to finally 'clean up' its act.

Already, Comiket is going to be moved or cancelled because of the Olympics. Hopefully, shitting dick nipples won't go along with it either.

I mean, you might not agree or even like some of the content that gets accepted or produced in Japan, but you have to admit that it's a place where creative freedom thrives (more so than the US or other places). I don't want that to go away.

04:17 31/07/2014 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

the olympics wont bring a massive boost to the economy, it never does. the olympics brings a small boost to the economy for a very short time, for a very very high price. it always costs more than it brings in and the benefits dont last

13:36 30/07/2014 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

Amen to that freaking moralists views I want to watch anime for its plot and I fear that if they need to cater to Western interests we will end up with some pandering crud.

Comment by Fronzel
    00:06 05/08/2014 # ! Neutral (0)

Anime is already pandering crud.

08:29 30/07/2014 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

I share your concern somewhat but the opposite is also true, most of the "classic" anime in the west, things like cowboy bebop, black lagoon, etc... that are popular here but not so much in Japan would get more support.

Comment by DualStorm
    00:24 30/07/2014 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

But look at it this way, if they do pander to foreign tastes, we may finally have more series that aren't set in generic japanese highschools and generic urban japanese settings.

12:19 30/07/2014 # ! Neutral (0)

Which is bullshit because western settings have been incorporated already (Trigun, Gundam, etc...) that caters to general audience rather than to moe-loving otakus.

13:56 30/07/2014 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

Yes, blame the ones who actually buy the anime that they love instead of pirating it. Not to mention that anime is still a multi-billion dollar industry in Japan.

13:39 30/07/2014 # ! Neutral (0)

Fuck moe-loving otaku freaks! They kill the industry with their selfish needs!

If I'm honest, I don't get sick of those environments. Can't explain why, but the environment is open enough to accept all sorts of various oddities, and the absurdity of the environment or simplicity of the environment works however you want it to.

04:08 30/07/2014 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

Uhhh, what unique perspective? The youth worship that has poisoned and fucked it for so long?

Get real.

06:34 30/07/2014 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

"fucked"? Do you have an idealized vision of what anime should be? I on the other hand just want it to remain as it is - created by Japanese for Japanese and appreciating it for that, both the good and the bad.

I don't need anime to pander to my perceived tastes and preferences. I like anime for its differences.

23:39 29/07/2014 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

Bingo. Exactly what I was thinking about, that they will start pandering to the radical feminists here in America and elsewhere.

01:32 30/07/2014 # ! Neutral (0)

The problem with your analysis is that anime already has a huge (albeit still technically niche) fandom. With foreigners for a while already viewing and loving the "unique perspective" of anime. Plus, the "foreign moralist, feminist or religious groups" pandering has already been tried before the 200s with unsuccessful results.

22:20 29/07/2014 # ! Neutral (0)

Too true. Watching the great KITE franchise being destroyed by KITE Liberator is a painful reminder why we should keep western influence out of anime.

01:55 30/07/2014 # ! Neutral (0)

"a painful reminder why we should keep western influence out of anime."

What Umetsu did in KITE Liberator is little different to what he did in Mezzo DSA. Oh, and what do you mean by "western influence"? Astroboy? Cowboy Bebob? Black Lagoon?

22:07 29/07/2014 # ! Neutral (0)

oh fuck you, they've already been pandering to foreign tastes since big o got a second season. in fact the whole reason any title lets a second reason after taking a break is because of the foreign market's initial demand for more because those island monkeys are too pussy to demand more.

Comment by Denshousha
    06:49 04/08/2014 # ! Neutral (0)

That's actually true. Foreign pandering has been happening ever since Pokemon hit it big. Remember when they wrote out that Takeshi/Brock kid from Pokemon because some American soccer moms didn't like his eyes?

Promoting overseas may save anime for me. I've been noticing a gradual decline in anime tastefulness as they're catering for an audience that is gradually turning pathetically herbivorous (and not in the dietary sense).

In general, anime used to be cool, mature and innovative. Now, most of it is embarrassing, immature, ridiculously sexist and perverted (and I'm a pervert) and completely cliched.

Where once I was always keen to try and show anime to friends, I know have to screen the majority of shows because of the issues stated above.

01:39 30/07/2014 # ! Neutral (+0.4)

There really isn't much of a difference with the other stuff. Promoting and not promoting anime overseas will not save anime for you. Are you also sure those people are your friends lol? You don't seem open to them being understanding of your tastes. You're the definition of a herbivore ironically.

Comment by yuriphoria
    03:52 30/07/2014 # ! Neutral (0)

That's just the thing you are watching. And the fact that you are here means that you like it you hypocrite cunt.

Cool mature and innovative still exists. No it's not common. It was NEVER common to begin with.

You are just a victim of observation bias. You remember the best classics of 3 decades and compare them with everything that is being produced for this season. No wonder it doesn't compare.

Already Kill la Kill seems to have become a new Classic. Give it time and you'll see the 2010's will have as much good anime as the 80's or 90's.

Comment by Riiku
    21:49 29/07/2014 # ! Neutral (0)

This Anon speaks the truth and whoever downvotes him is a retarded little immature schoolboy.

Where are the adventurous titles on par with Cowboy Bebop, Samurai Champloo, Outlaw Star? Where is eccentric comedy like Trigun or Slayers without a hint of fan-service ("little-virgin-boy-service"). Where is predictable and simple but so lovely shounens like Kenshin? Hell, how old is DBZ again? Why there haven't been anything so legendary for such a long time?

Japanese make me sick lately. They weren't so retarded for AKB48 earlier. What the fuck happened?

04:21 30/07/2014 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

Because anime at the end is still considered entertainment and the companies will pander to whatever and whoever brings in the most money. You start waving fat stacks of cash in front of them and they'll do whatever it fucking takes to get in on it.

Moe/beach episode are like quintessential examples of it. But then again, can you really blame people? I'd say Hollywood is just as bad. Just look at Transformers 4. Hot girls, crazy CGI, no fucking story, big robots, fuck, people all over the world eat it up like a fat guy at McDonalds with a plate of fresh hot cakes in front of him.

AKB48 is probably the worst offender as they've literally boosted the idol business into Japanese culture. It is fucking everywhere. Basically selling the sexual symbol of these girls to Japanese people everywhere. In the end, it is the public that is eating it up.

06:38 30/07/2014 # ! Neutral (0)

That's called evolution and natural progression and neither is objectively good or bad. If you don't like what its become, you still have the good ol' days on VHS and LD. I bet the fans of today will become as disgruntled as you if anime were to head in a new direction.

Now, how about telling someone to get off your lawn?

04:13 30/07/2014 # ! Neutral (0)

Blame the Japanese that moved onto other media for their entertainment. Once the 'mainstream' audience left for other pastures, the anime companies had to produce for the fans that were left and buying their products.

What came first? The Type B\moe anime or the 'mainstream' leaving.

Comment by yuriphoria
    03:57 30/07/2014 # ! Neutral (-0.2)

No, you are only stupid, as I said in this article, you are suffering from observation bias.

The last 3 decades produced TONS of shit and a few gems, but you only remember the gems.

Then you compare it to what's on the TV right now and conclude this decade is is the worst ever.

Comment by WEL
    23:49 29/07/2014 # ! Neutral (-0.1)

couldn't agree more with you sir. We are lucky if we just get at least one quality anime a year that doesn't involved lolis, ecchi and slice of life or some perverted immature shit for closet pedophiles. And I'm not against it but diversity is lacking so much most anime feel like deja vu no matter the genre or themes in it.

04:25 30/07/2014 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

I think you need to watch more anime. I'd say there are clearly more then one series a year that doesn't involve lolis or ecchi. And what is wrong with slice of life? Technically there is nothing inherently wrong with a slice of life story. Not all stories need to be elaborate and fucking action packed with fantasy or sci-fi.

Its the same thing that hapened with good old JRPGS (see Square Enix) the moment they made RPGs with the west in mind as sales focus, games lost the japanese soul and turned out like a mix of everything that noone likes... dont make this now happening with anime! no THANKS!

02:45 30/07/2014 # ! Neutral (0)

Firefox going Chrome...It's 'Chrome-plated' now. ;(

01:54 30/07/2014 # ! Neutral (0)

oh and i almost forgot... young flatchested cute moe girls and lolis would maybe also disapear for moral reasons or get weird introductions saying "im am 18 years old" ... like they did with overseas EROGE! Or like they changed to revealing costumes in games that got localized outside japan...

Japanese anime already has enough feminisim with their extremely dominant female characters, no help needed from western feminists are required.

01:01 30/07/2014 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

But if those dominant female characters are attractive in any way shape or form, they're being degraded and sexualized. And if the work has those females on the receiving end of any violence, it's promoting "rape culture," whether the violence is sexual in nature or not. Only unattractive, invincible female characters will satisfy the feminists, if such a thing is even possible.