Top 10 Spring 2014 Anime

rettousai-lingerie

Yet another spring season anime survey has attempted to chart the rise and fall of the season’s many shows – the list again bearing witness to the immense popularity of Koukou Rettousei, One Week Friends and Haikyuu!

The ranking – with survey taker AnimeAnime! handily providing both general and gender specific results for a more thorough interpretation – the general results:

1. The Irregular At Magic High School

5. Brynhildr in the Darkness

6. Nisekoi

7. Knights of Sidonia

8. Nanana’s Buried Treasure

9. Jojo’s Bizarre Adventure: Stardust Crusaders

10. Love Live!

02:58 02/06/2014 # ! Good (+0.7)

Mahouka has been painfully boring at times. Having a uninteresting Gary Stu lead coupled with an Yandere Brocon possessive Sister makes it even more annoying. Instead of actually showing most of the action, they have long winded scenes that describing the action in strategic detail.

At least with NHNL when they explain things they make it dramatic and interesting. Mahouka I kept thinking "Beuller? Beuller?" the whole time.

08:24 02/06/2014 # ! Good (+0.6)

Speak truths. The disgustingly long and overbearing truth.

Burn the abomination with fire, along with dumbasses who made this #1.

Yeah man, those japanese are like totally "dumbasses" for liking this show. Dumb japs.

20:30 03/06/2014 # ! Neutral (0)

you're right.

japs have horrible taste

13:38 02/06/2014 # ! Neutral (0)

dumbass grammar

11:26 02/06/2014 # ! Neutral (0)

haha no u guys are the dumbasses because it is the Japanese who make anime and u guys are watch their show so u are the dumbasses and japan love making weird stuff

20:25 02/06/2014 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

I don't understand what the fuck is doing on #1, because well...not much actually happened in the series. Its 99% vervorreic magic stuff that is reduced to "that doesn't work on me" when it counts.

Although I must say the main characters are not THAT annoying, is a bit boring since he is lv99 from the start but, is not that is so atrocious. There are worse mc and there are worse things, but there are lot better things too. The secondary characters kind of redeem the main characters, since they are as cliche as any other secondary character, but eh, at least they arent obnoxiously annoying overacting version of the cliche.

I think is the same case than IS, inside its genre is not the worst, not the best but for some reason I can't understand became really popular.

09:54 03/06/2014 # ! Neutral (0)

I think a black Hetalia character would eat fried chicken and watermelon.

09:23 02/06/2014 # ! Neutral (0)

I think they're planning long term with this, multiple seasons of 26 episodes, if its successful.

03:43 02/06/2014 # ! Neutral (0)

You can't blame it as it has 26 episodes. At this rate, it will only cover up to yokohama disturbance arc at best.
    At the very least they cover the story why Tatsuya is invicible.

06:21 02/06/2014 # ! Drivel (-0.8)

The sister is the best part about this show. Me likey.

02:40 02/06/2014 # ! Neutral (+0.4)

Mahouka at #1?

Not that disgusting Gary Stu garbage, please. Anything but that.

06:55 02/06/2014 # ! Good (+0.8)

Well the political situation in Japan is perfect for a right wing self-insert harem anime/novel to succeed at the moment. I'm not surprised by this one bit.

Comment by charuru
    08:07 04/06/2014 # ! Neutral (0)

The show is hardly a harem.

09:38 02/06/2014 # ! Neutral (0)

I heard he was based on a Hindu god or something? I think that makes him fairly interesting.

Guess it has been proven that the haters are just the loud and noisy minority lol

03:04 02/06/2014 # ! Good (+0.6)

The premise is the MC is inept at magic, which his sister excels at, and yet gets by with being smarter than the average chucklehead, and immune to the slurs of segregation. Except he is also:

1) A genius
    2) A ninja
    3) A special lieutenant in the military
    4) The preeminent genius designer of magic tools
    5) Actually a super-magus capable of using "irrational magic", which is completely different from regular magic because it's not on the public school test.
    6) Able to think faster than a supercomputer
    7) Able to reflexively cast magic as fast as he thinks
    8) Able to disintegrate guns instantly within line-of-sight
    9) Capable of solving one of the "impossibilities" magic that no one else ever thought of in such a way that it's easily duplicated after 30 minutes of study
    10) Able to disintegrate people through walls from two miles away without being able to see them, which is apparently beyond reasonable limits for even the best mages
    11) A healing factor better than Wolverine's that instantly regenerates lost limbs and triggers automatically anytime he takes lethal damage

And this list grows well beyond this. Here is every plot thread in the series, ever: Stuff happens but Tatsuya is too awesome. And that is the series. Yes, there are other characters, but their sole purpose in existence is to support Tatsuya and make him look more awesome, which he does by continually pointing out the problems in their lives and getting them to fall in with him for it.

I gave this series a definate chance. I read volumes of it, but it became extremely clear as it dragged on that the series is what it is, and that's an unabashed fantasy of extreme male wish fulfillment. If that's all you want then have at it.

18:22 02/06/2014 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

The premise is "stupid Japs judge everyone based on the same extremely limited metric, and MC demonstrates the fallacy of such a policy and prejudice".

20:55 02/06/2014 # ! Neutral (0)

I'm not very much annoyed by the MC, he is no different to any other MC that ends being a undefeatable warlord whith a shitload of abilities and contacts and access to resources.

The only difference is, he has everything unlocked since the beginning, what makes it a bit more "boring" (the same is boring if you start a game with all the equipment) but not different than others.

What really annoys me is the "is not fair he is belittled because he isn't good at magic since he has lot of other qualities". Well, is a fucking magic shool, of course they gonna rate him due to his magic, doesnt matter how strong your kung fu is, if you want your kung fu recognized go to a damn kung fu school, not a magic school.

19:29 02/06/2014 # ! Neutral (0)

Numbers 1, 4, 6 and 9 can be considered the same. Numbers 5, 8 and 10 are also the same. Number 3 is a consequence of 1 + 5 + 11. So, you're eleven reasons are in fact 3. And that's taking into account most characters can do 7 perfectly... Talk about biased...

21:19 02/06/2014 # ! Neutral (0)

"Here is every plot thread in the series, ever: Stuff happens but Tatsuya is too awesome. And that is the series. Yes, there are other characters, but their sole purpose in existence is to support Tatsuya and make him look more awesome"
    Actually lmao'ed

08:08 19/06/2014 # ! Neutral (0)

This is actually why it is great!
    Im tired of shit MC who are way too emotional
    The plot deepens with each arc and everything is explained (how and why)

animes need more badass Main characters like, Gutts, Alucard, Hei, Yousuke Otoha, Yagami Kazuma, Layfon Alseif and Sakamaki Izayoi.

I'll take this MC any day than your generic useless MC. He has quality that make the girls fall to him, which is perfectly acceptable. He deserve the harem. And his super ultra geniousity (I made up this word) is also perfectly acceptable. Think of him as Tony Stark.

While he is a Gary sue it still is refreshing to see a protagonist who is not a pussy and knows how to be a boss every now and then

03:21 02/06/2014 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

if you are a real otaku you should always relate to the lolis(or the shotas if there are not lolis)

07:42 02/06/2014 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

I dunno… while I don't think the show is very good*, I do find it a little weird how many of the ostensibly male fans of the show seem to go through life dreaming of the next powerful male lead to worship. It feels like every single posting on this show ends up with comments like that (and there seems to be a show every season like this). Maybe it's the same couple of guys doing this but… who knows. Anyway, it's a little weird.

* For that matter, I don't think this is a very good season. I don't expect any shows to be much remembered after their season ends. If this show is considered the best of season, then it doesn't say much for the rest of the shows, which alas, don't have much to be said for them. Having said all that, the show's watchable enough along with Brünhilde, Mangaka-san and Riddle.

08:39 02/06/2014 # ! Neutral (0)

Tatsuya is no magician, is a manmade fake magician. He's an esper, though.

06:04 02/06/2014 # ! Neutral (0)

I'm pretty sure no one can relate to an magical wizard-ninja with Wolverine's regeneration power.

Tatsuya is the guy who NTRs all the ladies just by walking past.

06:43 02/06/2014 # ! Neutral (0)

You're incorrect. He is magical wizard-ninja, more like human hades as he dictates life and death (incl. others) within certain time limit and not to forget he is a walking nuke.

Hmmm... where did I hear this before? Oh Yeah basically he is from dragon ball. A Saiyajin with the dragon's power himself and the brain of bulma.

14:59 02/06/2014 # ! Neutral (0)

@09:47

I think that you're right in terms of better pacing would help. There was a lot of build-up to the recent attack only to show that the bad guys weren't really bad enough to be called bad. I found that to be a let down.

There are a few things that I like about the show, including how much political tension there is, and how the different characters all have their unique viewpoints and timelines — some live exclusively in the here and now, others are playing the long game. And this means that characters have been thinking about stuff but were mostly at a stand-still before the brother and sister came along. Their presence and capabilities can all of a sudden break the logjam and everyone is scheming and plotting and thinking — and in ways that seem consistent with their characters. What's also kind of fun is how, other than the general lack of respect for Tatsuya upsets Miyuki, the pair generally considers all of the obstacles before them as opportunities and exploit them accordingly.

I'll guess that we'll start to see more capable antagonists who are also playing a long game. For me, I'd prefer less of the technical minutae of CADs, gun design and spell casting. The constant exposition is a drag on the show.

09:47 02/06/2014 # ! Neutral (0)

To Anon who thought the show isn't very good. Well that is correct. It is really boring compared to its light novel counterpart.

If only they had paced it a little bit faster (cut 1-2 episodes), it wouldn't be so boring.

But-But then pussys can't relate to main characters who aren't total pussy holes.

Comment by KingFisher
    11:42 02/06/2014 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

Also I think No Game No Life is doing a great job. Enjoyable to watch.

02:33 02/06/2014 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

I'm surprised by the difference between the Male and Female ranking of No Game No Life. It's quite an entertaining show, though I'm guessing the tits, and the loli make it ever so more popular among the guys? It deserves an equal place in both gender tables. 2nd and 9th is very telling.

19:11 02/06/2014 # ! Neutral (0)

the story could do without all the fan service, it really doesn't need it to grab an audience, and in a way, it seem to be doing more harm than good when i ask my friends about the show. but it's by far one of the best shows i have seen the past few months (well, since kyojin anyway). i really like how the author so obviously cheat with the writing, yet pulls it off in a dramatic and exciting way which makes my mind blown even if i know the trick behind the curtains.

If you think that's surprising, you are an idiot.
    It is everything that targets males, and women don't like lolis being sexualized to begin with.

03:01 02/06/2014 # ! Neutral (+0.4)

How am I an idiot? There have been a few shows with fanservice that have ranked highly in both genders. I would have thought the quality of No Game No Life would make it one of those shows.

02:49 02/06/2014 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

Actually, am surprised it even made the female ranking... just look at the 8 above it.

the only shitty ones is 5(kamigami) and 3(one week friend). Other than that 4 and 1 is decent but not that good, while 6 and 7 is pretty damn good. 8 is decently good.

I just found out that Mushishi Zokushou is the best anime this season too. It's a bit mature i think but definitely the best one this season.

08:41 02/06/2014 # ! Neutral (0)

My girlfriend loves lolis. And she wants to make at least one.

00:22 04/06/2014 # ! Neutral (0)

@5:53
    So liking means fucking/raping now? If I say I like to look at lolis because they're cute like kittens, that makes me a pedo? Should I burn my baby pictures too? Should I tell my daughter I can't 'like' her because it's offensive?

@0:22 tell ur daughter that you "love" her instead of saying that you "like" her.

Fucking pedophiles.

03:14 02/06/2014 # ! Neutral (0)

and women don't like lolis being sexualized to begin with.

False.

04:31 02/06/2014 # ! Neutral (0)

Not to mention Kill La Kill has a large female following outside of Japan. That being one show full of fanservice. I can't see it being much different in Japan, I think the problem here is that the sample size for this poll isn't big enough. You only have to see when clicking on the link in the article one poll on there is averaging 300-500 votes per show.

Would love to see a poll on a popular Japanese website that could get a much wider audience.

Nah. I've seen a number of women enjoy the show but comment disgustedly on every bit that sexualizes Shiro. They still like the show because of the humor or the art style but they get tired of the fanservice.

08:08 02/06/2014 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

... why am I not surprised.

19:54 02/06/2014 # ! Neutral (0)

Sad to see no WIXOSS there, I like it, reminded me to Madoka. Maybe I should try Isshukan Friend too.

23:26 06/06/2014 # ! Neutral (0)

Yuri card games... Card game animes suck

21:03 02/06/2014 # ! Neutral (0)

I fail to see the good of :

2. One Week Friends

3. Haikyuu!

Comment by kenji
    01:37 03/06/2014 # ! Neutral (-0.2)

One week friend is a total disaster, did they actually put any effort in creating this shit?
    haikyu isn't any good either, still way better than one week friend though.

It's like you never fell in love before or even imagined it.. try going out sometimes.

01:23 03/06/2014 # ! Neutral (0)

I think that's you, having a real relationship is nothing like this shitty one week friend anime.

Wait for another 5-10 years or until you actually have a relationship and come back to read your own comment, you'll see how silly it is.

00:15 04/06/2014 # ! Neutral (0)

Welcome to Anime dude. I'd recommend you to watch mainstream anime first before watching anything else. They're right up your alley methinks.

08:10 03/06/2014 # ! Neutral (0)

a relationship may feel different for each different person, and would depend on the situation.