PS4 Too Hot For Its Own Good

ps4-hot-hardware-2

ps4-hot-hardware-3

Sony fans really are overheating – with there now being plenty of complaints about the temperatures the newly launched PlayStation 4 reaches during normal operation, and more than a little concern about the long-term reliability of the hardware.

Paragon of gaming journalism IGN has an intensely dubious user poll suggesting 50% of those who bothered to respond claim to have problems:

ps4-hot-hardware-1

Less speculatively, FLIR imagery of the PS4 running at distressingly high temperatures has been doing the rounds online:

ps4-hot-hardware-2

ps4-hot-hardware-3

ps4-hot-hardware-4

ps4-hot-hardware-5

ps4-hot-hardware-6

ps4-hot-hardware-7

And there is the matter of its jet intake fans:

Comment by Indra EMC
    22:39 17/11/2013 # ! Quality (+0.8)

That's why i'm always avoiding "launch version" of a every modern console, it's not like NES or Sega Genesis era where the first generation build like a tank, you can throw a tv into that and it still works perfectly.

wait at least second model to release, it's cheaper and of course perform better than the original PS4

I believe XBOX One also have a same problem for "day 1 user"

Comment by Gogetters
    04:06 18/11/2013 # ! Good (+0.6)

"This GameBoy was damaged when barracks were bombed during the 1990-1991 Gulf War. It still works!"

Comment by Imyou
    04:15 18/11/2013 # ! Neutral (0)

...and I have one that was held gently, put away in a padded bag and sometimes carried, but it's no longer usable because so many vertical columns of pixels no longer darken whatsoever. It's a pretty common fault too as they age.

14:19 18/11/2013 # ! Neutral (0)

Time killed my gameboy, more precisely a clock fell on it.

09:57 18/11/2013 # ! Neutral (0)

Yeah, it's not like there's something like hardware backwards compatibility or the ability to run another operating system that they can take away this time.

Unless they take out the Bluray drive and make all games download only...

06:33 20/11/2013 # ! Neutral (0)

Never going to happen with the limited download bandwidth that ISP's are willing to give people, when a game download for the things is 50GB's in some cases.

06:55 20/11/2013 # ! Neutral (0)

bought my notebook 4 years ago on launch and it still runs http://www.pown.it/343 PC > ALL

Comment by X_Bacon
    23:42 17/11/2013 # ! Neutral (0)

Too right mate

02:41 18/11/2013 # ! Neutral (0)

Well, at least my Gamecube and Wii never crapped out on me even once, and I've used both of them extensively. Wii U has always been running fine so far too.

The Nintendo handhelds are a different story though. since they started going with dual screens they just break really easily.

Comment by Dark Mage
    19:42 17/11/2013 # ! Quality (+0.8)

Lets go to X86 and use 8 cores what could possibly go wrong?

01:07 18/11/2013 # ! Good (+0.5)

Love how xbox fanboys are dancing in the streets over this, as if Xbone is a worthy alternative XD BOTH machines are a fucking joke and a scam. Fanboy wars = EVERYbody loses but the companies selling you all more shit, because you're a retarded manchild loyal to a CORPORATION :) A 1980s style gaming crash would be the best thing for everyone and start again in a few years, with lots of indie devs and all the big boys bankrupt. And, no, i don't care about those people losing their jobs. They'll find new ones soon enough.

02:38 18/11/2013 # ! Good (+0.6)

Exactly, I expected YLODs and "RRODs" from both consoles at launch. I'll never again be an early buyer for consoles other than Nintendo's (launch Wii still works and has never given me any problems, as with every other Nintendo console I've ever owned).

15:47 18/11/2013 # ! Good (+0.6)

PCs should not go past 40~45C (about 100~110F) at heavy use. Normally they sit around 30~35C when browsing the web or something small like that. This is assuming you have a decent heatsink and proper air and cable management to let the air blow freely without obstruction.

If they couldn't get it right with the bigger version imagine how the PS4 slim will be...

PC Master Race.

15:06 18/11/2013 # ! Neutral (+0.4)

130-140F is hot? What about our PCs during gaming?

09:39 18/11/2013 # ! Neutral (0)

Right on bro. Nintendo hardwares last almost for a lifetime!

11:14 19/11/2013 # ! Neutral (0)

that's not true, because each component has it's own limits and gpus can handle higher temperatures. Also, who cares about most people say, you should look into your manual instead.

09:07 22/11/2013 # ! Neutral (0)

Different parts in a PC have different thresholds. For my rig, 60C/140F at heavy use would be alarming, even though my GPU can handle up to 70C. Normally, I hover around 48C during heavy use and that's if the vents are dirty.

18:31 23/11/2013 # ! Neutral (0)

LOL have you ever monitorized a GPU's temp?

There are GPU's that easily reach 70-80-90 celcius. This are normal operating temps for some high end GPU's.

The CPU's are the ones that are not "recommended" to go beyond 60 celcius.

The LOL's I had reading these "informed opinions"

And the anonymous that commented on the relaibility of the Wii... well those are thermally stable, because they never had much computing power to begin with, and those do not generate the same heat levels.

Comment by Renko
    16:14 18/11/2013 # ! Neutral (0)

Lol Anon2
    You're such a bad troll it's unreal

15:38 18/11/2013 # ! Neutral (0)

PC components (GPU/CPU) shouldn't be going above 60C (140F) long term if you want it to last, technically 70C is safe but most people don't want anything higher than 60C.

But this isn't the temperature of the CPU or GPU, this is the entire console radiating at that temperature. So unless the entire console is designed to be one giant heatsink, the core components inside are likely going over 70C.

15:44 18/11/2013 # ! Neutral (0)

And by long term I mean at 100% usage running 24/7.

11:55 18/11/2013 # ! Neutral (0)

They stated they sold 1 million units but then for the source, a tweet on Sony's President site on 4chan only 1 site fell for it vgchartz.

At least gaming journalist are wising up for once.

14:52 19/11/2013 # ! Neutral (0)

Implying you know shit about economics and games

15:26 21/11/2013 # ! Neutral (0)

Yeah, let's all close our eyes and make a wish to the job fairy. It will provide jobs for everyone! Wheeeeeeee!

05:51 18/11/2013 # ! Drivel (-1.0)

You're really salty... I'm loyal to a corporation that's done me good, nothing wrong with that. It's like having a favorite baseball team. They're there to entertain you and make money. Mutual relationship. Calm down "messiah"

05:54 18/11/2013 # ! Neutral (+0.4)

Being loyal to a corporation is stupid unless they're signing your paychecks and treating you well as an employee. They don't exist to entertain you. They exist to make money, not entertain you. They will just as easily turn on you if it will improve profits. They're not loyal in the slightest, and if you haven't heard all of the BS that Sony's done to its customers by now then your head is really stuck quite far down in the sand.

13:39 18/11/2013 # ! Neutral (0)

Fanboys of whichever side, I present this:

06:47 18/11/2013 # ! Neutral (0)

Not all that different from baseball it seems.

00:41 18/11/2013 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

Especially AMD GFX... coolest gfx cards on the market >.>

09:25 19/11/2013 # ! Neutral (0)

And Nivida loudest on the Market....

19:42 18/11/2013 # ! Neutral (0)

i see what you did there, nice funny.

02:52 18/11/2013 # ! Neutral (0)

Its sony fault ... They've used cheap and small cooling system.

Comment by Tasche
    08:56 18/11/2013 # ! Neutral (0)

i dont see any difference, considering 'gaming' laptops have better specs and little to no cooling other than a small fan and little heatsinks shrouded in plastic.

11:53 18/11/2013 # ! Neutral (0)

Cause they don't use overpowered items in the laptops, AMD items has always been known to overheat since they skimp on the cooling items.

Also you get what you pay for since in laptops they are forced to use specific items where as the PS4 are using the cheap most workable part as they can.

Gaming laptops cost anywhere over 1000+ in australia and sony is half price something doesn't give it they want to do something similar.

22:28 18/11/2013 # ! Neutral (0)

I was pretty sure nvidia was notorious for having overheating problems? oh well, I'm not that educated on that matter so let's just ignore it for now.

And I am wonder if couple of people post videos about overheating and loud playstations mean all of them are overheating? Or are people going haywire over couple of videos instead of logically thinking about how many copies there is out there already and how many people are not having difficulties at all? I'm a little puzzled here. You can always return your gaming console and get working one instead of making a youtube video to channel your frustration.

Comment by Ishmon16
    02:14 18/11/2013 # ! Neutral (0)

AMD Dual-Core NO PROCESSOR SPEED has to be Final Destination.

19:55 17/11/2013 # ! Neutral (+0.4)

60C isn't high at all for a x86 part at full load.

Welcome to overreactions 101. :V

03:01 18/11/2013 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

The 60C is for the surace not te APU itself ;]. And that really hot. If the surface is that hot then te APU is running 90C or even higher.

04:34 18/11/2013 # ! Neutral (0)

Yeah, because you know how hot the insides are without any proof. You're a fucking idiot.

22:38 18/11/2013 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

Look whos the fucking genius that failed science class.

Try not to look at the sun too hard, honey, you might fucking burn them to the back of your skull.

Get the fuck out of here.

21:11 17/11/2013 # ! Neutral (+0.4)

That almost the same temperature with XBOX360 and PS3.

Comment by Noodlestein
    02:20 18/11/2013 # ! Neutral (0)

Still I think its the sound that is the complaint, not the temp.
    Either way, that sounds alot louder than my friends who played ghost so maybe his is just a slightly "broken" (for lack of a better word) one.

Comment by warjoke
    19:34 17/11/2013 # ! Good (+0.4)

First gen problems.

Why wont you idiots just wait for PS4 slim? I bet It will come out in just 4 months time. LOL

20:34 17/11/2013 # ! Neutral (+0.4)

Yup, this is why you don't get a console at launch... Wait a few months for them to fix the most pressing problems, then get a working console for less money.

21:41 17/11/2013 # ! Neutral (0)

This.

Comment by Imyou
    04:12 18/11/2013 # ! Neutral (-0.2)

With Sony, that also means with fewer features and cheaper parts. Also possibly less hackability, depending on the means that are figured out. The oldest versions can be the most vulnerable to exploits.

08:21 18/11/2013 # ! Neutral (0)

My launch PS2 is still working fine as well.

Comment by Imyou
    08:21 18/11/2013 # ! Neutral (0)

@6:00 Do you mean the very first motherboard revision? Because I have a classic "fat" PS2 I've been using since around 2003. It's still hooked up and works great, though it's used more like a few times a month now. (I know there was some kind of focus coil burnout issue, but I run games off the hard drive when I can...)

11:46 18/11/2013 # ! Neutral (0)

My launch PS2 works fine... after I repaired it's DRE errors myself.

06:08 18/11/2013 # ! Neutral (0)

My launch PS2 still works fine.

06:00 18/11/2013 # ! Neutral (0)

I never saw a 1st gen PS2 last even a year. So soon do we forget. I'll just keep my PC and hope GTAV comes soon.

20:22 17/11/2013 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

Not this time. Making it slimmer will make it worse. I could imagine a version where the internal psu is replaced with another heat sink and fan.

I had my doubts when I saw the size comparison with the xbox but I'm still hoping these are isolated issues.

20:29 17/11/2013 # ! Neutral (0)

When you sell more than 1 million consoles in a day, there is bout to be some that don't work as they should...

22:30 17/11/2013 # ! Good (+0.6)

This just proves how many idiots there are on this earth.
    60° is a perfectly normal temperature when under load for a cpu/gpu, really don't know what the news value here is.

Comment by HouseLife
    21:11 17/11/2013 # ! Good (+0.6)

@ Anon 20:29

No, more realistically they didn't do a wide field test under multiple situations really, it would have been tough to do. I'll never get first run consoles ever, A) I have enough games from the previous generations, and B) They've already proven that unless the graphics are like the Wii and not really updated, then the first generation will run into more problems until they can be narrowed down.

I feel bad for the first run users who hit these problems, but it just had a high chance of happening, and they're correct, 140 degrees is going to fry hardware pretty quickly. I wonder if there are things that can be done like the PC to put some aluminum or copper around it to work with the heat distribution. The case being plastic kind of limits or eliminates that.

21:51 17/11/2013 # ! Good (+0.6)

Wait wait wait, 60° is a to hight temperature to be viable, and that when while running a game like Killzone???
    You should say that to my old Portable Asus PC that as around 3 and a half years that has a temperature of 60° right now...

04:06 18/11/2013 # ! Neutral (+0.4)

Dude, its 60°C AT THE AIR VENT. Imagine how hot the internals are.

22:56 17/11/2013 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

This just proves how many idiots there are on this earth.

Maybe if you are reading hardware sensors. Thermal imagining isn't very good at picking up hotspots.

Comment by HouseLife
    05:13 18/11/2013 # ! Neutral (0)

@ Anon 23:01

That's pretty awesome! Why you got one from a glass box at a Toys R Us though is the real mystery here, and why a first run was sitting there for 3 year before you got it. The point is not every one will have problems, but the problems still exist. It's why I will not buy a car that is on its first-year run on a new design as well. Statistically they always have flaws. I leave it to the adventurous and and the ignorant to do the test runs for me because they want it 'day one' and all that nonsense. I have no need to rush to get new technology, thankfully, there's always an alternative. Hell, Assassin's Creed 4 is going to be on PC as well, so no loss there.

06:52 18/11/2013 # ! Neutral (0)

@Anon 01:19 The most culture-centered response I found in SanCom in quite a While.

16:22 18/11/2013 # ! Neutral (0)

@20:29

The 1 million consoles a day is a fucking lie from Shu Yoshida you've been fooled by a tweet by yoshida on 4chan and one post on vgchartz website which fell for it.

There is no way they could of made 1 million playstation 4 if they started construction 2 months ago its not feasible even with free labor.

Wait till the offical sales are out otherwise the PS4 sales would of been on the news but there is no proof and no source besides a tweet and that isn't enough to go on before they get shot of producing false news, FOX might eat it up but you cant trust them.

I thinks its 1 million paid pre-orders from all the yuppies who wanted the PS4 to be "cool" world-wide sensible people wait till its cheaper,fixed and more available but trying to put a PC into that small of machine with cheap AMD parts will overheat in no time they should of tested it instead of grabbing defeat in the arms of victory by taking money away.

but sony is more interested in making 4k standard the norm who knows :( they don't care about the ps4 now.

23:01 17/11/2013 # ! Neutral (0)

@houselife
    I have a first run. Retail version of the PS3. One that sat inside a Toys 'r Us glass boxed kiosk. It's still running. It still has the emotion chip. It saw at least 3 years inside that box on display running 24/7.
    In all truth it should be dead...but it keeps on ticking.

21:00 17/11/2013 # ! Neutral (0)

I just believe this is a tactic of MS to sell their Xbox One World Government Edition.

01:19 18/11/2013 # ! Neutral (0)

Eppur si muove (Galileo Galilei)

02:39 18/11/2013 # ! Neutral (0)

Exactly, and it's certain that all these launch buyers are gonna have to shell out more than the tag price eventually, either to get their's repaired or to replace it with a newer model.

We must be glad that there are people who buy a console at launch. I mean, "beta testers" are a need~ \._./ *waiting for Slim version*

22:26 17/11/2013 # ! Drivel (-0.8)

This is AMD cpu's for ya. 140f/60c is their limits on amd cpu tech. can't do more then that. Really want to blame someone, /me points at AMD for shit tech.

22:56 17/11/2013 # ! Quality (+1.0)

AMD CPUs, just like Intel CPUs, can take 95°C for all eternity. So do in fact all ICs. It's just your brain that can't take it.

22:57 17/11/2013 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

Ahh, that's nice. Blame AMD. Who do I blame since mines running fine. The fan is silent and barely runs while playing Ghosts or BF4.

Atm I'm happy with it, minus the weird f'up of the firmware update that took 4 times.