Girls Und Panzer Going Postal

Girls-Und-Panzer-Limited-Edition-Stamps-1

Combining militaria, stamps and anime in one devastating combined arms offensive, tank busting moe anime Girls Und Panzer has announced the sale of a limited edition stamp set (among others before it) at select post offices for those in dire need of delivering important parcels to their brothers-in-arms.

Girls-Und-Panzer-Limited-Edition-Stamps-2

The stamp set hit post offices on the 18th of October priced at ¥1350 per sheet, each sheet possessing 10 ¥80 stamps, with only 4000 total sheets to be sold.

12:26 19/10/2013 # ! Good (+0.8)

You mean I can LICK them now ?!
    ...
    ....FTW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

04:59 20/10/2013 # ! Neutral (0)

I'm terribly sorry. They're self-adhesive.

You'll have to go with the "Miho is stuck on me!" type jokes instead.

22:43 19/10/2013 # ! Neutral (+0.4)

who else thought of "postal" the old game about gunning down innocent civilians?

01:13 20/10/2013 # ! Neutral (0)

Who here is old enough to know that "go postal" is a reference to several postal workers snapping and going on killing sprees?

Comment by Kaito Kazama
    08:07 20/10/2013 # ! Neutral (0)

I am. Am I old now? :/

Comment by Rokudaime
    14:43 20/10/2013 # ! Neutral (0)

I did. That game was bizarre and crazy as fuck lol! :P

08:38 19/10/2013 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

I guess the K-On! stamp sets were popular enough for them to continue.

It's interesting that most stamp collecting catalogs do not include these types of severely limited issue stamps as part of their listings of country stamps. Because the idea is that these aren't really intended to be used for postage (although legally they could be, in Japan), just for collector purposes.

Okay, actually, I'm sure no one found that interesting at all.

00:29 20/10/2013 # ! Neutral (0)

But I'm sure there are collectors who specialize in these kinds of stamps...and I mean not just creepy otaku.

04:55 20/10/2013 # ! Neutral (0)

Yes, I'm sure there are such collectors. I'm also sure they're almost all Japanese, because I looked high and low in the North American and European stamp dealers marketplaces for the K-On! releases, and they simply aren't available. I finally had to pay a ridiculous price on eBay for them -- and there they were in the Animation category, not the stamps ones.

This is probably TMI from this point forward, so stop now if you're bored already. :-D The problem for stamp collectors is that these low-issue stamp products are permitted to be issued by each prefecture in Japan, and these are in addition to the stamps issued by the national government itself. It would be similar to as if each U.S. state issued it's own stamps, as well as the federal government. The result overall is too damn many stamps. Hell, even the national Japanese government issues a lot of stamps each year, and many stamp album manufacturers have stopped making yearly updates for albums for Japan, because there's little demand anymore, because collectors outside Japan simply can't keep up.

This is why anime and manga stamp issues like this are not aimed at stamp collectors, but at otaku. There are other stamps issued like this for other topics, as well, to rake in as much cash as possible for anyone interested in those topics. It's a pure money play for the prefecture governments, as these kinds of stamps are but rarely actually used for postage. (The exception is that in most years, the national Japanese government has started to issue one set of anime related stamps a year, and sometimes you'll see those postally used.)

Sorry to babble on, but it's rare that my stamp collecting and my anime collecting collide.

15:15 19/10/2013 # ! Neutral (0)

well, mildly interesting...

00:06 20/10/2013 # ! Neutral (0)

Wonder how many lonely otaku will send letters to themself.

14:18 20/10/2013 # ! Neutral (0)

How can you be lonely while watch this show?

Comment by Pyrus
    15:29 19/10/2013 # ! Neutral (0)

Let me guess: "Mailing for the bang of it!"

Comment by John Hayabusa
    07:38 19/10/2013 # ! Neutral (0)

Moe stamps.

I wonder how Kantai Collection's popularity will go once its anime comes out.

Comment by Reo
    13:00 19/10/2013 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

Expecting the vita game more than the anime.

Comment by Tasche
    09:20 19/10/2013 # ! Neutral (0)

With Blue Steel out, its just fueling the fire until it comes out. But no doubt it will be super popular just like GnP. Embodiment of Japanese history and culture right there.

10:57 20/10/2013 # ! Neutral (0)

and WG will officially support it again, with the upcoming WoWs lawl

11:34 19/10/2013 # ! Neutral (0)

someone should buy the stamps and mail a bomb to someone with em, but thats just me

13:24 19/10/2013 # ! Neutral (0)

Cool stamps. If only they would release a 2nd season next...

23:23 19/10/2013 # ! Neutral (0)

A postage stamp? What's that?