Square Enix Names Wada New Chairman

wada-triumphant

Square Enix has quietly named “sacked” ex-CEO Yoichi Wada as the new chairman of its board, the prospect of continuing without the benefit of his notorious business acumen evidently proving too much to bear.

Wada joined what was then Square in 2000 as CFO (after an apparently unrelated career as a financier at Nomura), and jumped to COO and then CEO in 2001, with his official profile somehow omitting to mention his resignation and only mentioning his new position as chairman of Square Enix’s board of directors.

Square Enix watchers have voiced the usual astonishment at his resilience in the face of the company’s utter ruination under his reign, although there has been the suggestion that it is a mere sinecure to paper over his exit in a year or two – assuming the company can last that long in the era of the PS4.

02:27 28/06/2013 # ! Good (+0.7)

Now waiting for the EA and Square Enix merger. West meets East and the worlds crappiest game company will be born.

Comment by Benoist
    04:30 28/06/2013 # ! Quality (+0.8)

fifafantasy 2014 : a non-blitzball game with only male characters

19:02 28/06/2013 # ! Neutral (0)

Since Yoichi Wada is now Chairman of SQUARE ENIX here's my thorough analysis of its future. Intellectual Refutation are Welcome.

----------------------------------------------------------

FINAL FANTASY XV(15) will be made into an Action-MMORPG + 60 hours Ofline Single-Player Game.

Key Points Why FINAL FANTASY XV(FF15) will be made into an Action-MMORPG;

1. Tetsuya Nomura talks about Online feature of FF15,

2. Tomb Raider(2013) which have Multiplayer, but did not met SQUARE ENIX sales Expectation,
    This raise the Question, How big the "Multiplayer" has to be to meet SQUARE ENIX sales expectation?

3. DRAGON QUEST X is an MMORPG.

4. Yoichi Wada, ex-CEO of SQUARE ENIX, who is the supporter of remaking FINAL FANTASY XIV(FF14) which nearly Bankrupted SQUARE ENIX, is now SQUARE ENIX Chairman.

5. SQUARE ENIX needs Financial Recovery.

6. Final Fantasy XI MMORPG is the most Profitable Final Fantasy.

7. FINAL FANTASY XV can attract-more-Funding, if its an MMORPG
    (Which they currently really lacks).
    More Funding can helps Fulfill Fans expectation for 60+ hours of Quality Offline Single-Player Gameplay in a Massive World.

8. KINGDOM HEARTS 3 has to Bigger & Better than FINAL FANTASY XV.
    FINAL FANTASY XV MMORPG can generate revenue through micro-transaction & which will fund constant improvements of gameplay mechanics, graphics, quest, story and more.
    All the Money & Experience accumulated from the constantly-improving world of FF15-Action-MMORPG will greatly help KINGDOM HEARTS 3 development.
    More funding, more Staff, means faster development. We could expect KINGDOM HEARTS 3 in 2016.

The Question is,

Why Not, How can SQUARE ENIX not, Add Action-MMORPG components into the Massive world of FINAL FANTASY XV

to

Financially save SQUARE ENIX from Bankruptcy

and

Secure the Future for Kingdom Hearts 3 ?

02:31 29/06/2013 # ! Neutral (0)

Final Fantasy 13, 13-2, 13-3, 10-2 all have female lead..

13:58 29/06/2013 # ! Neutral (0)

Yet other S-E games with female leads are cult classics, like Parasite Eve.

Honestly though, I think S-E just sucks at making truly good, deep lead characters. There's a few good ones but the women don't usually get the best treatments. Aya Brea is one of the few well designed female characters in Square history.

10:31 29/06/2013 # ! Neutral (0)

Jesus Christ, you've just discovered the reason why final fantasy games have been doing so poorly.

Comment by Mauvais
    20:25 02/07/2013 # ! Neutral (0)

But Parasite eve was a Squaresoft game, before their disastrous merger with Enix. It's important to separate the two!

05:17 28/06/2013 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

Nobody at EA would ever be THAT dumb. Hell, hardly anyone would want Square Enix gifted!

12:19 28/06/2013 # ! Neutral (0)

They're too busy driving between the closest house and closest place of business along a dirt road that's one foot shorter than making the same trip along a 10-lane highway to consider buying out Square Enix.

06:36 28/06/2013 # ! Neutral (0)

But...Square & EA DID join forces back...in...2000...(checks to see when Wada joined the company)...

...

...

...cuuurrrrseeeesss.....

14:22 28/06/2013 # ! Neutral (0)

Everything makes sense now...

01:48 28/06/2013 # ! Neutral (+0.4)

Who cares about SE, honestly, FF sux since FFX, only idiot fans buy it, and overhyped children.

Comment by Strength
    05:49 28/06/2013 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

I confess to really enjoying XII...

14:24 28/06/2013 # ! Neutral (0)

I thoroughly enjoyed it as well.

You are (not) alone.

02:33 29/06/2013 # ! Neutral (0)

The recent Evengelion movie left a sour taste in my mouth.

Why everyone act like a bitch around Shinji, and turn him into whiny brat again!!

08:22 29/06/2013 # ! Neutral (0)

I found XII to be a rather well thought-out game, I enjoyed it. Problem for me was --FFXII Should Have Been An MMO--

Comment by Adom Jensom
    10:37 28/06/2013 # ! Neutral (0)

I liked all the references to Vagrant Story, and the fact it was made by (part of) the same team.

Comment by Tere
    18:07 28/06/2013 # ! Neutral (0)

If you're going to claim something "sux", at least have the courage to say why.

For me:

VII, I liked the Materia system, but disliked jumping through hoops for certain Limit Breaks. Oh, and getting a *bleeping* Golden Chocobo.

VIII, I loved the way mobs leveled up as the characters did. I both loved and disliked the Junction system. I loved it because it allowed for some flexibility, but I disliked how very easy it was to break the game with it. I also didn't like the way you'd have to limit yourself to (or constantly "farm") spells in order to avoid using the spells you Junctioned. Also, the Junction resets that happened due to the "Flashbacks".

VIX, I both liked and disliked the Skill system. Returned the game to having distinct party roles, but made for too much grinding.

X, I liked the Sphere Grid, but again it lent itself to grinding; this is a common problem with all FF titles that I've played. A bit too linear,though. This is a trend that culminates in XIII.

XI, I loved the Weapon Skill/Skill Chain combat system. This was the game to firmly set my dislike of group dependence in MMOs.

XII, I liked just about everything except Van's painted-on abs. This is also the first (non-MMO) FF that you could see enemies and marked the final death of the random battle.

XIII, battle system is flexible but too fiddly. It also almost requires a guide to play effectively. Is more of an interactive movie for way too much of the game.

XIV, never played it but we all know what happened to it's first incarnation. As for 2.0? From what I've seen and read, I've decided to at least give it a shot.

And that is how you express an opinion.

15:51 30/07/2013 # ! Neutral (0)

You clearly haven't played FFXII.
    It's cheap and you'll enjoy it.
    Best on an emulator nowadays.

08:10 28/06/2013 # ! Neutral (0)

I'll let you in on a secret. FF X also sucked

11:35 28/06/2013 # ! Neutral (0)

The truth is that all FFs suck! Not enough cute moe lolis inside.

14:18 28/06/2013 # ! Neutral (0)

FF9 had Eiko and Garnet.

19:50 28/06/2013 # ! Neutral (0)

They were fugly as hell. Even doujin artists couldn't make them over enough.

08:30 28/06/2013 # ! Neutral (0)

FFX was the prototype for XIII, and so yes, it sucked almost as bad as that game.

09:59 28/06/2013 # ! Neutral (0)

FFIX was the LAST great FF game.

18:31 28/06/2013 # ! Neutral (0)

It was? never felt that way when I played it

Comment by Hayate
    12:24 28/06/2013 # ! Neutral (0)

bad for me, no combo whatsoever

Comment by HouseLife
    05:38 28/06/2013 # ! Neutral (-0.2)

Yeah, those idiots who happen to enjoy the experience are such overhyped children. They couldn't possibly have the ability to see things within the experience that you chose not to and enjoyed it for what it was. That would almost be too much to have a reality where that happens outside your minuscule perceptions.

15:12 28/06/2013 # ! Neutral (0)

Quit jumping on the hate bandwagon, guys. If you've actually PLAYED the recent final fantasies, you'd know they aren't even that bad. Perhaps they're not the greatest rpgs to grace Earth, but considering the amount and quality of content (as opposed to other jrpgs of an equivalent price tag) you can hardly justify the amount of ill reception it receives.

House, you're the kind of person who goes to a restaurant, gets serves 4 courses of garbage and doesn't mind paying 100$ a head because the salad was good?

11:01 28/06/2013 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

@10:31 The hell kind of comparison is that? each person has different things they like in games. I for one liked the "experience" of playing the FF games. playing the FF games are fun but just cause you enjoying playing a game, doesn't have any bearing on what type of person you are.

oh and that whole Salad thing you said. were you smoking when you typed that?

Kingdom Hearts is the only thing that matters.

02:09 29/06/2013 # ! Neutral (0)

Actually a new Chrono game would be great... just imagine Chrono Trigger with next-gen graphics, but the same gameplay.

Comment by Adom Jensom
    10:36 28/06/2013 # ! Neutral (0)

I never understood the appeal of Kingdom Hearts, can someone explain it to me? I understand why fujoshis and children like it though...

17:05 28/06/2013 # ! Neutral (0)

@Adom Jensom

If you sincerely want to know one of the appeal perspectives, I'll explain why I enjoyed it. Growing up we felt true connection to the movies from Disney, and to a certain degree to Disney characters in their cartoons (even though I highly prefer Warner Bros). I grew up with my big brother watching them. These characters, if you allow yourself to sink into their worlds even a little with your imagination when you grew up, these days you'll notice a lot of crossover games showing up. All I can say is that somehow, it feels good. I personally crave games like that now too, and the only explanation is that that paradigm is what's happening. Crossover parodies that kind of exist to show that a single world isn't necessarily going to be a single world. We've already explored most stories, and it's increasingly difficult to make a single, all-encompassing story. Many of us miss seeing our favorite characters and WANT to see them again.

That's not something easy to explain, but two of the most influential things in my life, animation and games, came together when Square and Disney combined forces. As an artist and gamer, I cannot begin to explain how amazing it is that the artists adapted to match new and old Disney and Anime (which was birthed by Disney style) together and unified the atmosphere (except Donald and Goofy, sadly they went with the Goofy from cartoons instead of Goofy Movie Goofy).

The atmosphere managed to have the saturation and unification of old-style color design from cartoons from the greatest creators and artists before we were spoiled by computers, and felt like a true respect to it most times. While level design suffered here and there, and some of the reasons behind certain worlds' presences were a bit strange, they still managed to make it feel like it all belonged in a subtle lightheartedness that could easily shift to dark and foreboding, just as Disney and Square know how to do.

On a truly personal note, it had been a long long time since I'd played a game that made me truly feel that 'princess is in danger' feeling like when I was a kid. And Kairi was so ungodly sweet and adorable, and somehow even in the few lines she had initially, she managed to feel natural and not fake, and then right when I was like "Wow I can't wait to see how this comes together" they took her away from them. And did it in such a way that only Square has been able to do in all of gaming history. It was completely unknown what had done it or even how, a completely unexplainable element that couldn't be 'written off' as easily as most plots. I literally was completely engrossed by finding out who or what took her and why.

Anyway, examples aside, it's the sheer balls it took to even try making it, and not only that, take it SERIOUSLY! And they did it gorgeously. They kept Donald silent for most of it for a very good reason.

Put simply: You have to be willing to be a big kid and let yourself sink into your imagination just for the fun of it and no other discernible reason.

14:00 29/06/2013 # ! Neutral (0)

@8:27 - woah, so Sephiroth is more of a threat in KH than in his original game?? rofl, I think the FF series really needed the direction FFXV is taking...

08:27 29/06/2013 # ! Neutral (0)

@Adom_Jensom The greatest appeal, disney and prettybois nonwithstanding, was the completely unheard of approach to both the traditional final fantasy combat system and the focus on action rpgs as a whole. The gameplay requires intuitive action on the part of the player, as well as a quick wit and the dexterity to tackle your inability to simply "stop and heal" in the middle of a challenging fight.

Can't tell you how many times I was nearly slaughtered by Sephiroth in both games because I'd forgotten to press the block button at the right time.

19:23 28/06/2013 # ! Neutral (0)

I don't care for KH myself but I can't deny it's fun and well made. The gameplay is awesome, it's just everything else that turned me off. That's why I can't wait for FFXV now.

12:17 28/06/2013 # ! Neutral (0)

like every other final fantasy no? i still dont know why so much hate to the games, all of them have that somm that make a favorite among 1st player´s of that game, so no they are all good

12:08 28/06/2013 # ! Neutral (0)

The story is good, if you ignore all the disney fluff, you see an epic tale not suitable for kids.

Comment by Naoe
    22:56 27/06/2013 # ! Good (+0.4)

Waiting for SanCom to post a news about Index Holdings and Atlus's fate.

Don't really care about Wada anymore. I only facepalmed at this news.

00:55 28/06/2013 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

can someone please kill off this sick horse of the business.

02:04 28/06/2013 # ! Neutral (0)

i think we are just about in dead horse beating territory now.

02:49 28/06/2013 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

I swear, each new day i hate that company a bit more.

16:49 28/06/2013 # ! Neutral (0)

DO "YOU" THINK YOU BELONG TO THEM?

16:46 28/06/2013 # ! Neutral (0)

just be happy about your dont underestime lunar tics.

16:27 28/06/2013 # ! Neutral (0)

i cannot be responsible for something i wasnt angestellt for. square enix never payed a single cent. therefore i cannot be responsible for anything related to square enix games or anything. i am responsible for the crap which is ON MY COMPUTER on NOTHING ELSE GOT THAT RETARD?

04:08 30/06/2013 # ! Neutral (0)

he is sometimes angry but he got his reasons.

20:21 29/06/2013 # ! Neutral (0)

SE is like a dog. It is eating it's own vomit.

Comment by Riiku
    21:29 29/06/2013 # ! Neutral (0)

Square before merging with Enix = Epic games
    After merging with Anix = Fail games

People who worked on FF before merging left. The very same people responsible for making GOOD games. And those fuckers CEO's can't see shit.

09:42 30/06/2013 # ! Neutral (0)

And just after SE seemed like they were finally getting things together.

FFXIV beta looks great and Versus XIII actually has gameplay.