Japan NEETer Than Ever

idolmaster_cinderella_girls neet futaba_anzu by chiyomi

Japan’s population of NEETs continues to burgeon despite the supposed success of Abenomics, with the proportion of young people now engaged in providing “home security” now at record levels.

Accord to 2013 cabinet statistics published in their “Children & Young People Whitepaper,” government surveys of those aged 15-34 found that the proportion of those “not in education or employment” has actually increased another 0.1% from the last survey in 2011, making them more numerous than ever at 2.3%.

Although overall rates of youth unemployment have lowered slightly, it appears in no small part to have been at the expense of job security – amongst those aged 25-34, the proportion in “irregular” employment also continues to increase at record levels, now being 26.5% of the total, with those 15-24 enjoying a tiny 1.2% decrease to 31.2%.

Just what, if any, implications these statistics have for the rapidly deflating success of Abenomics is not clear, but the Cabinet Office has generously conceded that “policies to support their talents in society are required.”

neet futaba_anzu by hitsuji_bako

The online lair of all Nipponese NEETs provides some insight:

“You can only despair…”

“I’m 25 and of my old class 10 are NEETs.”

“5 of my 10 friends are NEETs.”

“Honestly, their figures seem on the low side.”

“When did they even conduct this survey? Nobody ever asked me whether I’m a NEET.”

“Their figures will not catch hikikomori and the like so there are bound to be more.”

“They need to do a proper survey.”

“It’s obvious if companies are shedding employees you are going to see a big group of unemployables form.”

“At this rate they are going to form their own minority group.”

“Even university graduates aren’t confident they can get hired.”

“I’m 30 and last night I realised I haven’t earned a single yen this year.”

“There are loads of NEETs in my town, it’s good as I can go out during the day free of shame!”

“NEETs with skills who choose not to work are OK but most of them are just socially inept scum.”

“You have to wonder how some of these parents raised their families when there are multiple NEETs…”

“I just hope these poor souls blame it on society and not themselves and can move on with their lives.”

“I do think the trend of considering anyone not working full-time in a company as unemployed riffraff is unfair.”

“You see this NEET filth at the pachinko parlours all the time in the middle of the day.”

“Those aren’t NEETs, more like students and freeters. NEETs have no money so pachinko is impossible for them.”

“NEETs are a blessing to their families. Who else will be able to take care of your pets when you go on vacation?”

“Right, they are like jokers. They can take on any role. It should be reassuring to have a NEET available in your household 24/7 to help out.”

“I do suspect that a private security company and a pet hotel would still work out cheaper than the cost of keeping a NEET.”

“Please NEETs, at least make some kids. At this rate the country will collapse, blaming the baby boomers for dumping this on us is all very well, but at this rate we will bestow an even worse situation on the next generation.”

“I would think you should direct those kind of demands at people who can actually earn a living and support some kids.”

“I had 3! We could afford more but my wife couldn’t manage it.”
“It’s obvious NEETs will increase. Even part-time and contract positions are oversubscribed with applicants now. There were 8 applicants for 900 yen an hour work I applied for, and it didn’t even include transportation costs. A lot of people can’t find work and are forced to live as NEETs. Abenomics has failed.”

“I’m not even considered a NEET any more because I’m too old…”

“Right. They’ll start to classify older NEETs as domestic helpers and the like to push the figures down I expect.”

“There are no decent jobs… the ads out there are all for hellish black companies who’ll exploit you completely.”

“The only vacancies I see all require qualifications.”

“Or else they reject you because you have qualifications but no experience…”

“I can’t really blame these people for having realised if you work in a country like this you’ve already lost.”

“You are the elite 2%.”

• Anonymous says:

It’s a sign of Post WWII social-economic system collapse for Japan and rest of developed countries. For example there’s is no such thing as a middle class families, where you could afford a condo or house, cars etc pay for by having a decent job, those are good old days now.

It is now a winner takes all society.

• Hey yo, I’m in da internet, me a 50 years old neet.
    I sit, shit, sleep all day long.
    When I carve for sex, I’d buy a prostitute
    When I want to masturbate, I’d watch hentai.
    I poop cash, I sneeze gold. What more can you ask me for?
    My parents is my atm, Put my credit card into their anus and they’ll cry dollars.
    My life in the internet, me a 50 years old neet.
    I poop cash, I sneeze gold. What more can you ask me for?

Richie Rich is that you?

You do know the neet lifestyle will end when you parents die as someone will have to look after the Rich Estate.

Though being an inheritor of old money is not much different then being a NEET.

• Anonymous says:

Emotionally healthy people shouldn’t give a fuck about perceived moral implications of joblessness. People who use NEET as a curse-word have far greater issues in their personal lives than the social status of strangers.

• Anonymous says:

It’s a sign of Collapse of post WWII social-economic system in Japan and all developed countries. When our parent generation could afford a car, housing etc right after high school by just getting a job. (middle class families)

Now it’s a winner takes ALL society where rich gets richer and poor gets poorer.

• Anonymous says:

It’s a sign that the post WWII socio-economic system is collapsing in Japan and in all developed countries. Unlike our parent generation that could afford cars, housing etc right after high school. (middle class families).

Right now is a winner takes all society. Where richer gets richer and poorer gets poorer.

• PonySlaystation says:

its hard to find a job these days…well atleast in aus… i went through several interview, and most of them looks for people with experiences… I mean how the hell am i suppose to get experiences if no one hires me in the first place.
    well, another reason maybe they don’t want part time uni students…since i can only work on few days a week…

Li.a.bil.a.ty.

• Anonymous says:

NEETs are a distraction from the more serious problem: the aging population that is stressing health care and social programs.

While employed those “baby boomers” contributed up to ¥180,000/year, but this year 7 million Japanese turn 65 and will start receiving a ¥792,100/year pension. And between 2012 to 2017, total nursing care costs are expected to triple from ¥8trillion to ¥24 trillion..

But instead of blaming boomers who are extracting far more than they put in, politicians point their fingers at a small number of unemployed youths. Because old people are a powerful voting demographic.

• obviously you have no idea of how the world works.
      those guys might stress the social programs, most have earned that right. and they are destined to disappear. while neets increase and have no expectations of becoming useful, and they age too.
      what will happen to society when those neets aren’t fit for work anymore?

• out-sourcing, under appreciated labour, Yakuza, and some shit about anime? Brush up on post WW2 history before you go making demands economically impossible to honor.

As a result of post WW2 fiscal policy and the encouragement of xenophobic trade practice. Instead of focusing on hedging capital to experiment on foreign markets (what the rest of the world did), the BOJ encouraged Japanese capital to stay Japanese by imposing high tariffs and red tape for international exchange. This coupled with the appreciation of the yen as a result of the now G1’s plan to consolidate the yen by intentionally depreciating the value of the currency standard (usd) caused many Japanese to believe they had struck it rich overnight.

With so much free capital in accounts, banks lead by the BOJ were trigger happy to give out loans which resulted in an extreme domestic trade index spike as investors were unsurprisingly trigger happy to invest. This aggressive investment mentality would artificially inflate stock prices beyond their true value. Japanese trade indexes rose dramatically in price, widening even more the foreign trade disparity. As the early speculators pulled their profits, they needed a way to solidify their stock rewards. Historically, people have thought long-lasting time proof commodities were the best solidification assets. What better to fit that mold than property? With the abnormally high amount of traffic Japanese real-estate markets, the face value of property experienced extreme appreciation.

As the stock market had reached saturation highs, the high interest loans hit the late investors hard and forced desperation to repay their loans. As the latest from the earliest of investors attempted to pay off their loans. Those with their capital stuck in property found it impossible to pay off their loans as a result of no one having the money to buy their property. So, the price of property came crashing down and many early birds lost a significant portion of their marginal rewards. This wouldn’t matter much if the Japanese economy actually experienced compound growth over the years, but it didn’t, so the real value of the yen didn’t see much adjustment after conversion.

As capital return rates were so low in Japan, banks became more frugal to loan money. Coupled with still inflated employment and resource cost expectations, companies were forced to down-size and hired part-time workers to minimize assembly costs. All of which is normal practice for a slumping economy.

However, the Japanese economy never recovered. As it went from 1 lost decade into 2 and, if abenomics turns out to be as shit as I believe it will, 3 lost decades of economic growth. Expect the bulk of the work force, blue collars, to be stuck in the same shit situation they’ve been in for the past 20 years.

Explaining this stupid neet situation is easy from this point.

there’s only shit jobs, i don’t want to work.
    i’ll wait for the economy to recover, watch cartoons and masturbate all day.
    getting lazier and lazier

• How about going back to the old system where half of every household did the work, and the other half did the house-work?
    I don’t care which gender does what, but decreasing the demand for jobs by cutting the amount of available “potential” employees in half would cause people to hire out of necessity and pay higher/fairer wages.

• Anonymous says:

Can’t pay the bills with one income now days. If people are willing to trim back consumerism so bills can be paid but companies will need to shrink so they can make profit or charge more but that means households can’t afford the things they want.

Ultimately the company profit will end up in the shareholders and the problem is how the shareholder component are. Few rich people or institutions with their own shareholders. If majority can more household then there’s some feedback into the consumer base to help with the bills.

• Anonymous says:

The issue is our culture in the US. We bitch about outsourcing yet allow companies to do this to protect their extreme profits. Trickle-down works on paper, but it was never enforced; it was all volunteer. No one volunteered. And you’re asking greedy companies to pay well… good luck with that in American Capitalism (which has spread like a disease).

Next is the cost of bills etc. I never understood why our electricity bill is so high and why in my area no company has invested in solar. Pass the initial set-up, I’d think they’d save not having to buy coal.

• Anonymous says:

Policies to support their talents:

Tier 3: building models, collecting video game achievments, watching pirated movies and masturbating.

Tier 2: Growing pot, cooking, bathing regularily.

Tier 1: Cleaning, daily walk, certificate of completion in a trade they never did anything with or dropped out of.

Tier 0: Retired Elderly.

• Anonymous says:

Doesn’t Japan have some sort of Social Security Number? Wouldn’t that be how they figure this out?

• Anonymous says:

According to ancient people, to work is to lose.

Manual labor is the act of paying in risk and acquiring return.

Therefore, I have made the proper, justifiable decision to enter a household where I do not have to work.

Moreover, as a matter of fact, I believe this is perfectly reasonable.

– Hikigaya Hachiman –

• Anonymous says:

Fucking boomers. They ruined our future by wrecking the environment and forcing us to unlearn concepts such as “life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness” and “climbing the ladder.” And they call US “entitled and disgraceful.”

• Anonymous says:

I understand those NEETs, once you graduate from university or college, you will realize that society is boring and repetitive.You will work like slave everyday until retirement, then die….

• DieHardjagged says:

Well, no one forces you to do that, look at me, im not willing myself to work for a Low Ass Shitty job where you get paid like 9-10 Bucks per Hour.
      Even if i would, i would be still on the “Broke as Fuck” Scale in Germany.
      I tell you what, i may only get 500€ per month right now (I dont have a job atm), but im fine with that, i have my freedom to do whatever the fuck i want, until someone gives me a job.

• Anonymous says:

The worlds economy is already on the downward slope to complete collapse anyway. The economy we have right now is pretty much built up on a foundation of debt and borrowing. Debt so huge that it will most likely never get paid back no matter how far we try to push it into the future. At the rate things are going we could possible last another(at most) 10 or so years before the shit hits the fan. If you think things are bad now just wait until the global economy bursts, it’s gonna be a pure hell hole in most places.

• Anonymous says:

This is because our economies are built on a ludicrous system where banks can take our money and invest it where they think is best instead of letting families choose where they want to spend their money under the justification that it “creates” money because no one is using it.

All they’re really doing it creating a bubble and preventing it from popping by continually moving money around.

• I’d say it’s a world-wide phenomenon, rather than something just happening in Japan.

I’ve been out of work for the past five years, although in my case it’s health-related. But I’ve noticed that more and more jobs are NOT being created here in the US. They are being outsourced to third world countries, and what jobs are here in the US are mainly low-paying ones being taken up by those who got into this country illegally.

I hear good things about Mars lately. Wonder if any companies there are hiring?

• Are we done for as a whole society overall? It looks like we get progressively worse each day, and brings us all closer to Civilzation Collapse.

Or at least have the quality of life become lower than it is. For everywhere, and for some places, that’s going to send them further into the dark ages.

Katsura’s right, slow and gradual is what’s being done here. Mix in a little corruption, Deception, Restrictions, and Manipulation of the many individuals, and what do you get..?

There’s a saying: “It will get worse before it gets better”

My question to that saying and to anybody who lives anywhere.

How bad is it going to get before it gets better?, and will it ever get better?

• Anonymous says:

For white collar jobs, it’s not so much outsourcing as jobs just disappearing outright, as efficiency increase.

Last year, China had an unemployment of 16% among college educated, and over 25% among new college graduates. It would’ve been worse, had they not have a mandatory retirement age to take old coots out of circulation and free up their spots.

At the same time, both GDP and median living standard grew by 8%, and unemployment among non-college graduates is almost nonexistent.

This is happening the world over. White collar jobs are under pressure. What little good jobs remaining is gobbled up by old ppl needing extra cash to raise their unemployed children.

Companies prefer work experience over fresh graduates, but you can’t get experience when you can’t get a job. Catch 22.

• Anonymous says:

Michio Kaku wrote to MIT that within 100 years or less, human technology will make capitalism almost zero cost, essentially a catastrophic collapse of capitalism. This is because we humans are working on things like 3D nano-compilers which will put all manufacturing and service based jobs out of business or at least devalue the work so much as to be unsustainable. That means these are actually FREAKING WONDERFUL TIMES compared to whats coming.

• DieHardjagged says:

Look at me, i graduated School in 2000 and only worked for 2 FULL Years.
      I tried to apply for work but people let me drop like a hot potato when they saw my Grades.
      Now, 13 Years later, im forced to apply to those super low Paid Jobs where you get 10$ a Hour with pretty brutal work.
      But the funny part is, i dont EVEN get those shitty Jobs, we have Millions of people who are forced to apply to those Shitty paid Jobs as well.
      Guess which Country – Germany.
      Im almost 30 and have no hope left to find a job, at least that Agency which pays me my 500€ each month paid that Driving License.

• Anonymous says:

• Most Chinese engineering graduates known about as much about engineering as an auto mechanic.

If you ever looked at the engineering mistakes in a designed in China circuit it’s hilarious.
          The ones that are good closely follow the semiconductor manufacturer’s reference design the bad ones it gets really crazy.
          You see things like no isolation between the HV and low voltage sides of a circuit and even omissions of things like filter caps and fuses.

If you ever looked at the engineering mistakes ina designed in China circuit it’s hilarious.

• Anonymous says:

Hell the only jobs in my hometown are fast food and walmart. They had over 500 people apply for a medium wage job at Mcdonalds and walmart treats it’s workers so badly they all quite or are either fired within a few months. As somebody who has a family member working at walmart I honesly wouldn’t wish a job at walmart upon my worst enemy. It’s that damn bad. Gonna start my 3rd year of college soon and can’t find a part time job anywhere.

• No, I have Alpha-1 Antitrypsin Deficiency, which also gave me Cirrhosis. I’m also susceptible to Emphysema due to lack of much elasticity in the lungs now. So I’m living day to day atm.

• Anonymous says:

It’s not as if Japan is the only place, in England the figures get worse by the month and I’m sure the same happens in America and most modern urban countries.

Japan seems to get hit the worst though image wise, which is a shame.

• Anonymous says:

you can search Google and get a number witch is 7.5 for April and i think US politicians like having this under 8% so where not doing to hot

google.com/search?q=us+unemployment+rate+&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a

but you should be able to fined the rate for unemployed people past a year witch would put you in a NEET category, it should be less, and i don’t think US statistics account for unemployed students, witch would bring the NEET numbers down more so maybe 1 to 3% i hope. still the real numbers would be bigger, because there are more people in the US, so no matter what the US statistics are always bad even at 1% compared to lower pop. country.

Prez, The Wire.

“You juke the stats, and majors become kernels.”

Part of the problem is the politicians refusing to accept that they failed. They turn the stats arounds to make it seem like their plans worked and announce it to the media, then move on to the next seat because most people who elect them could not see through it or give a fuck. In turn, the people who took over them also think of little else but forwarding their own agenda, and would even sabotage public benefit if it means they can profit off it.

They climb up in their career ladder based on 30 percent half truths and the rest on total bullshit. The problems they claim to eradicate or decrease only inflate itself farther and you have the fucked up society we’re living now where talking mouths win and everyone else loses.

Work for them, or rob them. Most people in such society could not tell the difference because their surroundings have become so fucked up that both means are seen simply as one of the means to survive and morality goes to Hell.

• Anonymous says:

Here’s a start: Stop companies paying Graduates 20-25k a year. They do the same amount of work as everyone else and do long hours, you don’t need to scare these young people into thinking hardwork just leads to more hardwork with minimal rewards.

• Unions can become self serving but usually it’s more bad management’s fault then the Unions when a factory closes.
          A 40 hour work week ,medical benefits,and at least two weeks vacation is not an unreasonable request and should be a right.

• Anonymous says:

More like unions are killing job opportunities here in the US. My dad actually once worked in a factory, and when the union came in, it killed it.

People who own factories here in the US can’t afford the ridiculous high labor costs unions force them to pay their work force. You can only make so much money from a product afteral. So guess what? They move those factories overseas where labor is cheaper.

• Anonymous says:

Then companies just won’t higher. Sorry, but you chose a really shitty degree and don’t stand out if you are only being offered 25k a year. It means you are a dime a dozen and easily replaced.

Forcing them to pay more just means fewer jobs and those who have them will have to work even harder since they will be even easier to replace.

• Anonymous says:

<.< they wont even recognize his work. its not even considered working experience. thats where the shit beginns.

not that the worker does t he work for free. that its free work is not even aknowledged. the person didnt get working experience by it. thats the cruel thing.

• Anonymous says:

Companies will hire the number of employees they need, no more and no less. There aren’t new companies in Japan in need of employees either. Companies wouldn’t hire more if they could pay less, nor wouldn’t hire less if they had to pay more. The companies in Japan basically take advantage of the practical inexistence of Japanese labor unions and sells jobs to the highest bidder, which is whoever is willing to be paid almost nothing for it.

• Japan needs to encourage more startups and small businesses.

Sometimes that’s what it takes to create new markets and break stagnation.
          That’s one big thing I noticed different between the US and Japan.
          In the US new companies are created all the time but in Japan it’s usually established companies that do everything.
          I think this is why Japan largely missed out on cashing in on the PC revolution and later the Internet revolution and now is missing out on commercial space flight.

• @anon 06:18
          The point is, they will hire as few people as they possibly can regardless of how much they pay. If a company needs a bare minimum of 10 employees to do a job, they won’t hire only 5 because the pay is twice as high and conversely, they won’t hire 20 if they pay half as much.

• Anonymous says:

So when are they going to, you know, ADD MORE JOBS?

Freeters are more unfortunate than NEETs. Being a NEET means that your parents at least won’t kick your ass out of the house. Freeters on the other hand work at the absolute bottom of company ranks, has the least salary, often with no benefits at all and are at high risk of being thrown away without any sort of compensation. Plenty of such employers don’t even bother writing appraisals.

Oh right, the Yakuza controls their economy and the politicians are so self absorbed with their own social caste and have their heads so far up their own disgusting rectum.

Anime and manga obsession is not cause. It’s rather a syndrome, and that makes Japan’s society really sick. The sad part is, it’s like the last stage of cancer. You’re fucked, plain and simple.

• By the way XBOX changed its policies on internet requirement and game sharing for the xbox one JUST LIKE I SAID THEY WOULD because they are a flexible upstanding company for the people. Let’s see ps listen to anything their fans say. Now what will you whiners and crybabys say. Tell me how how much ps is still so much more superior and not because youre a japanophile. bitches.

• Anonymous says:

I’ve said it before, I’ll say it here. Japan’s economy/ecosystem is being sucked out by it’s Reserve Bank, just like America and whomever else has one. If you don’t know how it works, Japan’s right to produce it’s own currency was ‘bullied’ out of it’s governments control and handed to the Rothschilds and World Banks. Now they charge loan fees and interest that Japan has to pay to receive any of it’s ‘yen’. Ie, every year billions of dollars are sucked out and given to the Rothschilds and other World Banks. The more debt Japan ends up in, the richer the external banks get. Same with US, and almost everywhere else.
    This is why Japan has a ‘parasitic currency’, same as US. Japanese people do not own their own money, they rent it. The economy an ecosystem, however, add in the Reserve Bank mafia, they will suck it all dry.

• Anonymous says:

in short… you all know nothing about our ecosystem because its so complicated… therefore aliens. i heard every nation has debt. which puts every nation in the same category of “bullied” and “parasitic currency”. they are even when it comes to this.

• Anonymous says:

and here i came up with a lol idea… how about “we”.. implying that i am politicians…. why dont we just play soccer? as one poster pointed out… its just america and japan… very likely.. because its a japanese oriented site which uses english.
        but how about forming the ball… making the ball someothing on the line…. aliens and space vampires?

• This about this logically. If women were a business function do you know what they would be classified as? Looking at it on paper and weighing all the pros and cons, women would technically be considered a business liability. Li a bil a ty.

Men cared more about school and working when they had thoughts of cute, quality, hard working, faithful, good hearted women to love and care for. But there’s no more women like that.

…except in 2D.

Show your unnecessary need for 3d women as millions of neet are doing right now enjoying their 2d lives to the fullest and switch to 2d. The Revolution is Now.

Why precious 2d girls are better than 3d whxres reason #5641

• Why precious 2d girls are better than 3d whores reason #5641

…except in 2D.

2d vs 3d Scoresheet: 2d girls – 5641 3d girls – 1

• Why precious 2d girls are better than 3d whores reason #5641

Li.a.bil.a.ty.

But there’s no more women like that.

…except in 2D.

2d vs 3d Scoresheet:
    2d girls – 5641
    3d girls – 1

• Why precious 2d girls are better than 3d whores reason #5641

Li.a.bil.a.ty.

But there’s no more women like that.

…except in 2D.