You are proceeding to a page containing mature content. Is this OK?

check Yes, show me everything
close No, hide anything sensitive

Animators Sue: “I Was Paid $3 An Hour!”

animator-by-ayakaze-ryuushou

The plight of Japan’s animators, long famed for being paid slave wages, has been making headlines again with the news that Studio Easter, the makers of Case Closed, are being sued for allegedly paying their animators as little as $3 an hour.

The revelations arise from a lawsuit being brought against Studio Easter by 3 of the animators it employed making Case Closed, demanding ¥27,000,000 in compensation for unpaid overtime, illegally low wages, “power harassment,” forced retirement and a catalogue of other labour law violations.

Training wages as low as ¥250 an hour

“I worked until late each day, my health was ruined and I can’t lead a normal life.”

This is the complaint of a 24-year-old animator who entered the company March last year. Of Taiwanese extraction, he came to love Japanese anime and came to Japan when he was 18. After graduating from a Japanese language school, he worked with colour design at Studio Easter.

At the time he thought it was the culmination of a long-held dream, but it soon turned into a nightmare.

After entering the company as a trainee, he found himself paid an hourly wage of ¥250 (¥2000 a day), far below the Tokyo minimum wage of ¥821 an hour.

As he could not live on such a wage, he was forced to subsist on payments from his parents.

After finishing his training, he found himself on a base wage of 150,000 a month. He did receive one day off each week, although he was “sometimes called in to work” even then. He never received payment for overtime or work on his holidays.

His superiors were unsympathetic: “This is a matter of course in the anime industry. If we obeyed labour laws there would be no company and no anime industry.”

Other claims made in the suit include being awarded a ¥40,000 pay cut after suffering injuries caused by scanning 1,000 sheets of production material a day and being harassed into quitting for giving a subordinate a paid vacation.

Although the allegations could probably be made by most Japanese against their employers (compulsory unpaid overtime, “service zangyou,” is regarded as one of the reasons Japanese workers are actually some of the most overworked and least productive in the developed world), the treatment meted out to animators appears to be exceptionally poor even by Japanese standards.

Online there is a very mixed reaction, ranging from denouncing the litigants for not displaying the servile obedience expected of true Japanese spirit, to outrage at the exploitative business practices of the studios, and of course some concern about how the industry would sustain itself if it had to pay minimum wages to the relatively unskilled drudges it depends on:

“You’ll get more on benefits!”

“Try another line of work!”

“It’s your fault for joining a company like that. If you don’t like it, quit!”

“Smash these outrageous companies!”

“Destroy anime culture! How can an industry like this have survived?”

“As much as ¥250!? Wages in the anime business sure have risen a lot recently. Just after the bubble burst it was like ¥50-¥150.”

“¥250 is a China level wage! You’d get 800-1000 just working part-time in a convenience store.”

“Case Closed was not exactly a flagship for good quality animation, was it?”

“It’s amazing people still want to work as animators really. You’d think the industry’d either run out of employees or have to put up the wages.”

“They just lie about working conditions all the time. There are even shows on TV pushing it as a good job. Trick the kids into wanting to become animators, that’s how the industry sustains itself.”

“If you improve conditions for the production slaves, the number of anime produced must decrease. I don’t want to be stuck watching anime which aren’t just to my taste, so please keep working, slaves!”

“I don’t think that would be too bad, the working conditions seem to be dragging the quality down.”

“Well, as they get the young ones who can’t stand it to quit, the only ones who get to the top are the ones who survive it.”

“I thought they would have been paid per cell, not per day, to be honest.”

“They are just burning out young animators and then discarding them. Despicable.”

“One of Japan’s flagship industries – look at it. No signs of improvement, they’ll ruin themselves keeping on like this.”

“They will be crushed soon enough? Foreigners aren’t like Japanese, they won’t ‘gaman’ this out. With the industry increasingly dependent on foreign animators it’s hard to see them continuing like this. I think it would be better if they got hit with more lawsuits like this.”

“His superior was right – if the anime industry obeyed labour laws, there would be no industry! Don’t like it? Quit!

¥150,000 was quite good pay, if you don’t like it, go back to China! The companies in China they subcontract out to have even worse conditions!

They probably knew this, and sued them on purpose. Money grubbers, keep out of the anime industry!”

“They should be made to pay up, this is just a violation of the law.”

“You guys could just stop buying discs and hand it over to the animators directly, I suppose?”

“When I worked as animator, the average monthly salary was ¥90,000 and I got ¥1,100,000 annually. It cost ¥80,000 just to live month to month, and there were national insurance payments and so on on top of that. You could only survive in that industry if you loved your work.”

“Do something about this! This is one of the cultures which represents Japan! The state is too incompetent…”

“Japan, renowned throughout the world for the unique anime culture it boasts – what a shame it’s all based on horrendous working conditions. Can nothing be done?”

• Anonymous says:

Well, I do understand you. Its so small, I can’t even give my mom an enough money for my food, house rent, and allowance. That’s why I resigned.. Yeah, I still live in my moms house..

• Anonymous says:

I grew up on anime. I help out with an annual event dedicated to anime. But if making it right means bringing down the house, then do it. Better that than to degrade it and everyone connected to it.

You don’t justify a despicable practice, you kill it. Kill it with fire.

• Anonymous says:

Stop licensing your anime to foreign distrubutors for dubbing and translation, start your own foreign distribution services online, AND SELL YOUR OWN MERCHANDISE IN ONLINE STORES WITH WORLDWIDE SHIPPING!

The first studio to do this will have all the monies.

• Anonymous says:

I wonder how hard it would be for an studio to open an overseas office for their slave labor. 3 bucks an hour is misery wage in japan, but might be enough in a some third world country.

• Anonymous says:

poeple are idiots , they work on jobs you can find in ever corner of street becoz they like that job . get a rare job and poufff money money monet . poeple shouldn’t complain for picking the wrong jobs .

• Anonymous says:

An admirable article that reports the irony of this world.
    However, there’s something I want to point out, although it’s more of a nitpicking.
    Since when is Studio Easter the maker of Case Closed? You don’t call a company which does the background work an outright maker. Studio Easter has been handling innumerable amount of tedious(and crucial) hackworks for the anime industry for years, and I don’t think this particular title stands out among their works. Yeah, I’m totally digressing, but I just couldn’t help getting a feeling that the article was written by someone who bears an antipathy towards Case Closed.

Okay, this is stupid.

First, Studio Easter didn’t make Case Closed; they just did the background art.

Second, HOW FUCKING LONG DID IT TAKE FOR SANKAKU TO GET THIS STORY OUT!?

• Anonymous says:

lol, i sooo wanna see the look on the faces of some of these white people in the comments, who seem so shocked that outside of their white countries, being a socialist isn’t “hip”.

• Anonymous says:

except look at most “poor” people jobs.

if the ceo of most companies would be paid what they deserve (basically nothing) the wage the lowest on the totem poles would double…

a mcdonalds burger job would be paying close to 36$ an hour.

“unskilled” jobs get fucked hard even though they are some of the most nessassary parts of the businesses.

• Anonymous says:

Me, guy A, gets paid $8.50 an hour to make a car part. The guy(B) whose only job is to put said part in the car gets paid twice what I do. The fucker who transports the car (guy C) to be sold makes twice what guy B does. The guy who actually sells the car, guy D, gets paid twice what guy C does.

And the fucker sitting at the top of all these cars makes more in one day than guy A, B, C, and D’s annual wages, yet has zero to do with the creation of finished products.

Without guy A, guys BCD and top-fucker have nothing, and yet guy A is on the bottom of the pay totem pole, and this is on a very limited macro scale. If we wanted to go even further, the guy who makes my carpet and substrate is paid more than the guy who makes the plastic for those materials.

• Anonymous says:

I guess he’s right to protest… the right course of action would be to refuse such conditions in the first place though.
    The reason why the company comes up with such practices in the first place is because workers are willing to accept it.
    If it’s such a widespread problem though, rather than waiting for workers to be scammed and then protest after it already ruined their lives, they should get together and demand a country-scale solution.

3$/hour! I can buy a coffee and a doughnut with that :3

On a more serious note, seeing as food in Japan appears to be rather expensive, I’d assume these guys live off of instant soups and such huh.

• They also must live with someone else as this is not enough to even get any sort of apartment and pay for transportation.
      Or are provided dorms like Foxconn workers though in their case they are more like over crowded prison cells.
      Yep in most countries you can’t even treat prisoners the way Foxconn workers are treated or you’ll end up in a prison.

• Anonymous says:

don want to say this but that’s how it work when working in an area where many people want to do~
    since the offer is so high the salary is of course low
    —> you don’t want this job? okay next, come in~~
    sad, now I don’t feel like watching Case Close

• Anonymous says:

instead of those employers giving more money to entitled teens, why don’t they donate that money to people who actually need it? (africans/black people, or even poor japanese people affected by the flood)

if you’re gonna pay someone by charity, why you’d ever give that money to the middle class instead of the lower class is beyond me.

• Anonymous says:

Yes, of course just pay em like slaves or just give them food and shelter. Who needs money anyways as long as the big shot managers get rich.
      If you want motivated workers just pay them fair and square.
      Otherwise you’ll get Zombie workers and chinese quality. Do you want your next anime from japan to explode in you DVD player?
      Well I know why the quality of anime has decreased in the last few years….

• Anonymous says:

if anything, the recent surplus of excess animators, and therefore higher quantity and lower wages, is what’s responsible for the recent boom in anime quality. remember, animation is about quantity, not quality. if you want quality, be a mangaka.

although when a poor person is faced with the prospect of his wages being squeezed, i doubt economic logic is gonna be getting through to him…

• Good for them. In my country the avarage payment for workers in a factory is 1,7$ – 2,5$ / hour. Our taxes and bills are horrible. They are about the same as the other European countries have, but in those the same job pays about 3-4 times more….
    I konw I’m not talking about animators. But don’t these ppl have to pay they same to be able to live? Ofc I say it should be higher, just wanted to point that its not the worse. Many lives under that salary and it is what they have to accept as normal because there are no other choices.

Just curious…

Do they still use pen and paper to draw the preliminary frames, or do they actually use fancy hardware like tablets now…?

They could greatly increase efficiency, job attractiveness, AND animator lifestyles with the latter, seeing as you can just pick up the last frame and draw from editting that, rather than drawing it all over again. This should like, improve animating time by say, triple as an estimate, maybe even more, I’m not too familiar with how long it takes.

Think! Sure it’s expensive, but with the speed, more anime! And maybe more pay.

• the thing is, if you let the wages get too high, in any industry, then the quantity of desirable labor decreases.

take the enjo kousai industry for instance. right now, it’s sustained on the fact that wages (aka allowances from their parents) are low, and prices (clothes, idol goods) are high.

• Anonymous says:

Henry Ford used to pay people the equivalent (adjusted for inflation obviously) of $60 an hour to build cars in his plant. That is a $120,000.00 a year job. Now workers get paid half that money and it doesn’t buy nearly what it used to, and the cars produced are not of high quality anymore. So I don’t see how desirable labor would decrease by paying people more. It makes much more sense that people who are skilled, or who can easily learn would gravitate towards higher pay.

• First I doubt you ever even owned let alone ever worked on one to gain any experience on whether is something shit or not.

One of the best built cars I’ve ever owned was a Chevy of all things.
          I can’t say anything bad about the LS1 the thing still ran like a bat out of hell even after 150,000 miles.
          I also had a Toyota truck that was mostly trouble free.
          I wish they still made the 22r.
          I only got rid of it because I needed something that can pull trailers.
          The worst built car I’ve ever dealt with was a Mitsubishi eclipse.
          All I can say the 6G7 V6 is junk.
          The Quad 4 in some GM’s also is crap as they always seem to leak.

• Anonymous says:

“Now workers get paid half that money”

Watch the old footage of the guys assembling Model T’s. They literally put raw steel and wood into one end of the plant and Model T’s rolled out the other end. The guys building them were highly skilled craftsmen. Now, if you can assemble a LEGO set, you can build a modern car in a modern plant.

“it doesn’t buy nearly what it used to, and the cars produced are not of high quality anymore.”

Totally wrong. Cars today are so much better than what we had even 20 years ago. What’s also happened is the tech and gadgets that used to be optional are now standard equipment.

• Anonymous says:

“Cars today can go longer without tune ups and rebuilds but over all they don’t last as long as cars made before the 1970s.”

Older cars DIDN’T last longer and weren’t designed to either. The ones we still have running around are either restored, very well cared for, or were put away in storage. Believe me, nobody back then thought their car would ever be worth anything or else we’d have more of them saved. They just drove them until the cost to fix it exceeded the value much like we do with our modern cars.

“I highly doubt as many Honda accords and Ford Tauruses will end up lasting as long as many model T’s did.”

According to some old timers and enthusiasts, if you got 20-30,000 miles out of a Model T, it was ready for the scrap heap. A properly maintained modern Honda Accord can easily last half a million miles and still look and run almost new.

• Supposedly they had technology in the 1950s that could drastically lower wear and tear and maintenance of vehicles, but such technology would not bring in money next year so they stopped focusing on durable technology so we consumers will have to replace our cars every few years. On the other hand they’re focusing on more efficient parts.

• Cars today can go longer without tune ups and rebuilds but over all they don’t last as long as cars made before the 1970s.

• The majority of the games industry pays their employees pretty darn well, and gives them many days off in general and many studios are in great places. If run by intelligent people, then the companies survive pretty decently on a small crew of people and make things that sell at least enough to keep them around a while to get the chance at a ‘big break.’

Japan is killing itself by having absurd prices on their DVDs and relying solely on the advertising and merchandising of the small niche audiences, when they could expand if they made it more accessible and increase both the other revenues in the process. They keep making this valley that is only crossable by the sociopaths who have nothing else, and not accessible to the everyday fan. In America they’ve already found ways to keep anime going in the newer generations of technology, it’s really just the irony of the most job oriented culture killing its own productivity.

Paying employees more and rewarding them for good work while pushing them makes them want to do better. I stayed at work until 12 midnight almost every workday for three months to get animations done for my game, and I loved every minute of it even if I wasn’t paid more. The Lead Artist, Technical Artist and I tossed Southpark onto a monitor and laughed our asses off as we took out all our work and released nearly on time with what most thought was an impossible deadline.

Japan’s perception on humanity’s work strengths are ass backwards. They are raping the last vestiges of truly ‘loving one’s work’ out of the last of the jobs people live for.

• Anonymous says:

So thats why there are so many episodes of that shity anime Case Closed.
    Slaves make the production more sustainable. I wonder how many slaves are in the Studio Pierrot?, the makers of the long running Bleach and Naruto, two of the worst anime that I ever seen.

• Anonymous says:

I dont get why the animation companies pay so low while they outsource to S. Korea and the Philippines. I’m pretty sure the “extra” income isn’t going to equipment or production.

• Anonymous says:

if you think you aren’t being payed enough, then just quit and find a new job.
    if what you’re doing is soo valuable, then surely companies will be lining up to pay you more.

• Oh, come on, sueing for such a wage? In Poland that’s a pretty low, but normal wage for works that can be done by pretty much everyone (like working at mcdonalds, cleaning or standing at cash register). Unless it’s a hard work (mentally or manually, but not physically), you just don’t get a wage that’s much higher, but from what I’ve read pretty much most people can be an animator.

• Can’t really argue here, because I didn’t bother re-reading the previous articles which mentioned how exactly the work looks like. However, as you said, enough people can do that, that it isn’t a job that can be done only by people with special education, like being a lawyer or a doctor.

• Anonymous says:

>sueing for such a wage? In Poland that’s a pretty low, but normal wage

Prices are a lot lower in Poland.

Anime slaves have to live in Japan and pay Japanese prices … for the moment.

If they keep destroying their labor force, the animation will be offshored to China, or Korea, or Viet Nam…

• It may be time consuming, however they still talk about HOURLY wages (I’m not considering unpaid overtime, which does exist in Poland, but not to the same point as in Japan though). And it’s a job that can be taken by most people, unlike an illustrator’s job.
        Another thing is that: According to another sankaku post, the beginner animator’s job gives 1 100 000 yen per year, which can raise to 2 400 000 yen per year by their thirties.
        In poland, the national AVERAGE, translating into yen, is somewhere around 1 100 000.

• Anonymous says:

It’s not a job that can be taken by most people, what the fuck are you talking about?

There are different kind of animators; key animators and inbetweeners. The first one are the most creative ones, they need to determine all important poses, and they get to animate in whatever style they choose to animate with.

Second kind of animators are inbetweeners, on the bottom of the animator hierarchy. They could be people from the studio itself, or sometimes Korean, underpaid animators. They just need to fill the missing drawings that the key animators have provided. Inbetweeners are less creative, but certainly not everyone can do it. Do you think an average Joe who has never animated can do it?

You still need to time the drawings, in what pace they move at, and you need to focus on what the previous and next drawing is. You need to actually try it before stating oblivious comments like that.

• In Poland that may be good money because a given amount of money has higher purchasing power but in Japan due to the cost of living it’s not a living wage.

On average stuff is 60% cheaper in Poland then in Japan.

Rent is even more different.
          1 bedroom apartment Tokyo Japan 88,621.26 ¥ Warsaw Poland 33,103.20 ¥

Basic Utilities Tokyo 13,652.89 ¥ Warsaw 5,801.95 ¥

• Actually, no. What I mean to say is that Japan doesn’t have it as bad as they make it out to be.
          Currently I’m on my long awaited vacations, after which I will start studying at a university, so as to not end being exactly a person you mentioned. Also, the method of saying someone is stupid/has inferiority complex etc. etc. is the best method when you don’t have any more arguments that have any real merit.

• Anonymous says:

You have to think about the cost of living in Japan. Everything there is pretty expensive, on a wage of 300 yen an hour that’s outrageous, that’ll probably fail to get you through the month.

• Let’s assume that wage (1 100 000 yen per year) is a minimal wage you get in Japan, shall we?
        Now, the minimal wage in Poland is 18 000 pln per year, which equates ~414 000 yen, which is less than a half our assumed minimum wage in Japan.

• So the artists get paid next to nothing yet the local fans pay through the nose for a disk. Where the hell is the money going? Is it sheer greed or incompetence on the company’s end or is anime truly unsustainable as a business?

• Anonymous says:

i bet you’re another one of those white people who think anime is some sort of huge industry. you do realize that they’re so small, they can’t even afford timeslots before midnight, right?

only with gouging customers, and skimping on employees, can the magic that is the modern anime industry continue to exist.

• Anonymous says:

all japanese production companies outsource part of the work abroad.

the quality is merely decided by whether the studio can afford to have *good* animators working on the show for more than an episode or 2.

• Anonymous says:

That’s partially true, but you’re forgetting that some studios don’t outsource. Look at UFOtable, there wasn’t any outsourcing done for Fate/Zero. It’s the richer studios like them who can complete a whole series with their in-house animation.

• Anonymous says:

agreed. all these people talking about “outsourcing” to korea and other countries have no idea what they’re talking about. because korea has been influenced by america so much, wages for korean animators are HIGHER than they are for japanese ones.

• Anonymous says:

This is not entirely true. I lived in Korea for 5 years as a studio artist..just moved back to the USA this year. The pay for Koreans are not as bad as Japan, but they are still quite low… HOWEVER the cost of living in Seoul is a LOT cheaper VS Tokyo so it is do-able..the animator that said he made 150000.00 yen a month would be a lot easier to live off of here since you can find “student living” closet sized apartments for maybe 500,000won (around $500) a month that require no key money and food + public transport is half of the cost of Tokyo.

Obligation overtime unpaid and weekend hours is VERY much a part of the culture in Korea just like Japan with just about every office job, its a real issue. Most of my Korean coworkers stayed till around 9pm because going home when you are *supposed to* is considered lazy and rude. It is ridiculous of course…even if you did not have work to do you had to hang around, especially the men. Korea has labor laws and vacation time… but often those are pushed and twisted and like many laws in Korea they are bent around. Just because we have them does not mean Koreans actually use them sadly.

• Anonymous says:

It’s probably the fault of all those evil Western pirates with their illegal downloads and scanlations. If Japanese companies made more money I’m sure they would share the increased profits with the workers.

• All you ignorant faggots out here who’ve never worked a day in your life can STFU and get out. You have no idea how hard it is to earn honest money and try to fulfill your dream.

Minimum wages is a MUST. After that incentives such as bonus for overtime and stuff encourages a worker to be productive.

I swear only NEETS can come up with statements such as the ones mentioned above.

• Anonymous says:

Minimum wage is a very complicated thing. You have to calculate:

Fictive, yet realistic count in Canada/Quebec City (cheap rent and other stuff)

Lodging (400$) (can be more expensive if we include electricity, internet, phone)
    Food (200$)
    Transportation (60$)
    Clothing (30$)
    Health (variable, though about 10$ a month if healthy)
    Income Tax (variable, depends on how well if administered your pay)
    Work related fees (insurances, advantages, paid or none paid vacation, etc)
    Personal entertainment (75$)
    etc… (credit card payment, loans, etc) (variable, though if careful, could be 0$)

775$ per month

9300$ per year (makes for 722,131.49 JPY per year)

This is all the strict minimum to just get by/survive through your life. When you’ll get older….I wonder if such a life style would permit you to retire.

Actual minimum wage average in Canada is 10$ per hour, making 18 200$ per year (1,413,010.25 JPY per year in JPY)

Once you add all that up, you have to see the average cost of all that in your country (and if it’s a big country where certain places cost more than other parts, you’ll have to calculate those as well separately if you are living in those expensive places). Once you know that, you calculate how much all that costs in a year and then force companies to pay the total as minimum wage.

3$ an hour is crazy…..period.

• I’m just wondering, if everyone were to take the advice of quitting the job if the payment is low, would there be anymore anime, or would the pay increase?

And I mean “If everyone were to take the advice”, not “There would be easy replacement”. Hypothetical question.

• Anonymous says:

Honestly.. if I was paid a slave’s wage, I wouldn’t exactly put my all into whatever I had to do.. in this case, resulting in poor quality animes.
    Heck, we pay our prisoners more than that here..

• Anonymous says:

The industry could afford to pay it’s employees more money and the employees would have more spending money if they just relocated their studios. Seriously, why every Japanese business thinks it needs to be located in Tokyo is beyond me. The post per square foot is insane, relocate to someplace cheaper or embrace working from home and stop bitching. I swear Japan has its head up its ass.

• Anonymous says:

I make shitty (but fun) animations on youtube in the style of anime/invader zim and I get payed $2,000AUD a month. Which is sad because my work requires no effort and I choose my own hours but I feel sorry for these guys (if your curious my allies on youtube is rickkmurray).

• Makes me wonder… are those anime with great animation produced by low paid animators? I’m talking Evangelion Rebuild (Studio Khara), Kara no Kyoukai (ufotable) or Carnival Phantasm (Lerche) quality.

Because if they are not, that suggests lousy paid animators –> lousy animated anime. And I really wouldn’t mind lousy animated anime disappearing. In fact, I’d encourage it.

• Anonymous says:

The animation studios can only get away with it because of that braindead Japanese authority and servants syndrome.

Working conditions like that would have generated a plethora of lawsuits in just about any other civilized country. But in Japan they act as if those animators should be glad to be on board, let alone gain a couple (literally) bucks for it.

Piracy has never been the problem of the animation sectors decline, it has always been the inhumane, greedy “business models” they so lovingly adhere to.

I would PAY for watching those fat cats of the industry get their asses torn open.

• Anonymous says:

OK, first comparing it too other countries is bullshit. An associate entered a work contract in that country…period.

Second, if evidence is found that wages were doctored then the appropriate law will be levied. This is a law, it doesn’t exactly give a crap what industry it is, who did it, who sues, or anything else. Laws are like that, they aren’t opinions.

Third, it is serious government business. If found guilty, they face more than just the payment of back wages. They could face fines, which will be very punative. Look for a settlement out of court.

Fourth. How can decent people hear of a story like this, with little real document evidence on either side and make such judgements as seen in these comments.

Oh, you much not be decent. IOW, more of the same human bullshit.

• Anonymous says:

“This is a law, it doesn’t exactly give a crap what industry it is, who did it, who sues, or anything else. Laws are like that, they aren’t opinions.”

oh god, lol

this is what happens when you let white labor unions get out of hand. i’m glad i live in japan, at least they have a good labor culture here…

• Anonymous says:

“This is a matter of course in the anime industry. If we obeyed labour laws there would be no company and no anime industry.” The anime should die, it does not deserve to exist…if this was the case. But I do not believe it is. EVIL!!!!

• Anonymous says:

Dont understand why anybody would dream of working in animation. It one thing to make manga, where you draw most of the things, it other thing to draw just some elements that repeat themselves.

• Anonymous says:

different people different pursuits. It great enough that they’re able to get into the industry it’s another if from that they would start creating their own works…At least they’re earning a living from what they love doing. It’s so rare nowadays

• Anonymous says:

It sure is a hype to be ignorant on the internet. If you don’t like to animate, that’s your choice, but don’t state it like facts if you barely know anything about it.

I’m a third year animation student in an art school and I simply love animation. For me, it’s really fun to draw frames that forms a sequence. It’s amazing how drawings come to live after you scanned them in the computer. Especially when they look really lifelike because of the little details you put into the drawings (moving clothes, blinking eyes, waverying hair).

Animation and illustration are seperate disciplines and they do have a lot in common, but there are also subtle differences, don’t lump them together.

@Anon 23:41

If you give up for a reason like that, it only means that you’ve never had any passion for animation. Now, I’m not claiming that I’m willing to starve for animation, but there are surely other countries to animate for, without a sweatshop attitude. What makes it ironic is, that these so-called “argumented statements” come from people who never enjoyed any kind of graphical education, nor have enough skills to judge other people’s work.

Viva anonimity.

• Anonymous says:

Also the problem is that to live in japan is very expensive and the level of competitive is too high so find another job is harder, if is hard to find a job in your country, there is worst. I knwo a lot fo people who say

“I love japan, is awesome to visit and enjoy but to live there is out of question, is too hard and expensive to survive in japan”

• Anonymous says:

Solution; Make the animation in America (nor US or Canada),Africa, Asia (except Japan or Korea) or East Europe, and the cost will be tolerable. That wage is more that minimal wage in a vast number of countries, inclusive if you are a professional.

• They already do that, why do you think there are so many korean and chinese names in your japanese anime credits? Many companies send their anime to be 70% animated in South Korea, China and Thailand because there the cost of production is much lower (not only japanese companies but american companies do that too). And don’t think that sending the production to any third world country will help, the ones who will have to animate this will have to be trained by japanese advisers and this can cost even more, also in many developing countries the salary of animators is actually a lot higher because they lack animators to work in the media (especially advertisements and segments of other shows). This is much more related with the labour culture of the country than with work cost, I’m brazilian and I work as an animator here and I earn a monthly salary of US$3800, which cover all my expenses and still left more than half for myself (consider than in Brazil things are much more cheap than in Japan), however in countries like China, where they simply do not care about this an animator works 14 hours a day in sub-human conditions and earn less than US$1 an hour.

• The thing is that those animation studios think that they can get away with this (extreme low payment to employees) in Japan, especially when it comes to foreigners who work in an unfamiliair place like Japan. So “Japan” will never outsource their anime works in USA/EU, because there they will get caught pretty quickly.

• Anonymous says:

There would be no industry? You mean there would be a better industry where bottom-of-the-barrel companies like themselves would be extinct.

If treating people like farm animals is what’s keeping you alive, then you deserve to die.

• There’s a neat little book (well 2 now) called “Freakanomics” which points out regarding Drug Dealers how many don’t really earn that much, but like professional athletes, actors, etc. too many people work for too little wages because of the hopes of a high payoff the top fraction get.

I call it a “False Economy”.

There’s no reason why people working so hard shouldn’t get a base salary that’s livable. This is the basis of the modern economy.

When you have an economy where people earn little, they have little to spend. Thus any employer who pays little to “Earn” themselves more money is really “Stealing” not just from their employees but from society itself.

• Anonymous says:

“When you have an economy where people earn little, they have little to spend.”

right, because the money the employers don’t give to the employees just disappears. instead of, you know, the employers spending it somewhere else, instead of to subsidize workers that clearly aren’t in demand.

• Anonymous says:

Trickle down economics doesn’t work.

Take the US as an example (although I’m going to oversimplify matters just to keep things easier to explain), initial part of Industrial Revolution led to an increase of wealth with a select few.

Didn’t help raise the standard of living for the majority of the people though, nor did it further increase the strength of the economy.

That came from the latter part, indeed in part thanks to guys like Ford.

Long as the Middle Class kept growing the economy was booming.

Since the ’80s on the other hand, the amount of Middle Class has been decreasing, and the number of select few with a great deal of wealth has been increasing.

This has had a negative impact on the quality of life over all for the majority of the people, and it’s taken its toll on the economy as well.

Not forgetting to mention that those lengthy hours that those former Middle Class now have to make, in order to survive has a direct and negative effect on labour effectiveness. (Plus the whole two or more jobs thing is going to negatively impact unemployment levels.)

Too much research has already shown that working in excess of X amount of hours on a daily basis is detrimental to efficiency, due to the fatigue factor creeping into the equation.

So you end up with a situation where it takes more hours to Y amount of work. That’s rather counterproductive.

So all in all, the cumulative effect on the economy by all these factors.. No real surprise that the economy is in a slump and has remained so for quite a bit.

And that it turn can have negative political/social ramifications as well. After all, the French Revolution didn’t occur because the people had plenty of food in their belly.

Just make a comparison between the causes of the French Revolution and then make a comparison with the current situation in the US.

Some of the labels may have changed, but the underlying problems are eerily similar.

• Anonymous says:

13:36 the only people who think the middle class actually “drives” the economy are those people who are, guess what, in the middle class.

if there’s no demand in the middle class, the upper class will shift to making stuff for either themselves (luxury boats, goods, etc.) or the lower class (food, shelter).

-economics 101, 102

• Anonymous says:

trickle down economics is just code word for rich people to say they want to keep their own money.

and i’m fine with that. personally, i wish some of my rich friends would just be open about it and admit they hate poor people, like i do, but i guess some people have “image” to worry about, while i’m on sankaku complex.

• Anonymous says:

“Oh and I’m calling shenanigans, on the fact that your own posts get up voted, and everyone who disagrees gets down voted.

I’m guessing you do have an account, with voting capacity, but are simply gaming the system to make it look like folks actually agree with you and disagree with others.

Also by not using your actual account, you avoid future repercussions that folks will take a dim view on your other posts, because of the batha poodoo that you’re spouting now.”

jesus christ, you listen to alex jones, don’t you

• Anonymous says:

protip: economics isn’t about how you want the world to be. economics is about how the world IS.

oh, and trickle down economics is just code for rich people wanting to keep their money. just like how poor people want to take it. you and i both know this. so stop whining.

-from japan

• @anon 05:23 I don’t know why you post is down voted as it’s an absolute truth that the economy is driven by a healthy middle class.
          If the middle class gets sick so does the economy in general and only someone who knows nothing at all about economics would disagree with this statement.

*Rolls eyes*

————

“Trickle-down economics” and “the trickle-down theory” are terms in United States politics to refer to the idea that tax breaks or other economic benefits provided by government to businesses and the wealthy will benefit poorer members of society by improving the economy as a whole.

Proponents of these policies claim that if the top income earners are taxed less that they will invest more into the business infrastructure and equity markets, it will in turn lead to more goods at lower prices, and create more jobs for middle and lower class individuals.

Proponents argue that economic growth flows down from the top to the bottom, indirectly benefiting those who do not directly benefit from the policy changes.

—————
          That’s trickle down economics, which is in essence what you’re arguing for, with your posts.

• Actually if you can see the big picture it makes sense to pay your workers more then a basic subsistence wage so they will have disposable income to buy things.
        Henry Ford saw this and paid his workers more so they may buy his company’s products.
        Productivity and quality also went up.
        This helped create a middle class as it set the bar for what a living wage in the US should be and the result was a vast new market.

Collectively paying your workers peanuts means your domestic consumer economy will always be unhealthy and in the end this affects the bottom line.

• >what do you think bankers do with money that’s in their accounts? just let it sit there? do you really think that?

I think, esp with the larger banks, they “Invest” in things like Picasso paintings, misc properties, etc. that become through “Bonuses” the properties of the bank president/major investors. Then they scream for “Subsidies/Bailouts” to pay out loans and account debits to customers and when it crashes rely on the Fed to bail them out more.

Not every bank, but likely the big ones.
          Just one man’s opinion there…

• Anonymous says:

No, it’s economics for people who realize that the top 1% of earners are not the ones who drive the economy when it comes down to it.

It is the 99% who earn less than 50K a year who drive the economy when it comes down to brass tacks.

The more than the 99% have in their pocket, the more they can spend on non-essentials and quality of life items. Then, our economy gets stronger because of that.

• Hmmm…

I’m impressed this thing generate such discussion…

This is to Mr. “Rich” person;
          -I’ll just pretend you aren’t a RightTard who thinks he’ll get rich listening to FauxNooz and so defends his “Class” even though they’d gag at the burgers he slings for the chain restaurant among his 3 jobs to afford usurious rent on a decayed rusted trailer and probably is choking the library computer with this rather loaded webpage.

Be aware that you only are “Rich” because you live in a civilization that both protects you and recognizes your money.

Know that among the earliest legal cases were suits over people who were cheated with bronze axes too high in gold content to hack wood good. Gold originally was prized as sling fodder because it’s easy to smash into balls, you can hit harder with it and find it easier after it’s shot. It’s only the illusion of society that gives it any value and the wealth and power a society creates that at last found any practical use for it, beyond jewelry and sling fodder.

The fall of almost EVERY society in history is that there is an imbalance and some group gains control and looks to their short-term pleasure only, then it falls apart. You are sitting on a house of cards, and have the farthest to fall. It’s been the comedy and the tragedy of history that for all the misery created when a society fell apart such as Rome or France, those that could have saved it and had the power to do so cost themselves so much misery so much admonishment of quality of life when they could have done so little in terms of effort to save it.

• Anonymous says:

true, if you define a “good economy” as one that doesn’t have a lot of poor people, then you’re right.

but as a rich person, i have to say i really don’t care about that, lol

• Actually this is true it is the middle class that drives the economy and only an extremely foolish rich person undeserving of their wealth would think they can still be as wealthy as they are with out a healthy middle class.

Without a middle class who would buy most of the major appliances, cars,video games and movies and houses?
          Who would foot the bill for roads,infrastructure, and national defense?

In short a country without a middle class quickly becomes a shit hole.

China’s economy only exists because of the middle class in the US and Europe supporting it.

• I guess all the money goes to the CEO/boss of the company in the form of wage and bonus, als everywhere on this planet. Everyone who works under him/her need to suffer. I hope this kind of company goes bankrupt very soon.

• Anonymous says:

Well, it’s actually illegal if you pay lower than ¥837($10) per hour in Tokyo.

It’s a grey zone for paying ¥150,000 per month with overtime work, so I personally think he should give a try in court.

• Anonymous says:

from that comment, i’m gonna guess you’re from a white country, where protectionism has somehow equated “outsourcing” with “low quality”.

if anything, since japanese studios began outsourcing, quality has gone WAY up, since animating is more about quantity (of workers) than quality.

• I work as an Microsoft certified IT engineer in one of the Russian provincial cities, and I make 58000 yen monthly. That is just enough to cover my living expenses, car services, gas, insurances and taxes. I barely have money to buy something for myself.

80000 yen montly (~$1000) is considered very good payment where I live. And the situation is just slightly better in capital city.

By the way, how does it feel to watch anime knowing what “real costs” doest it take to make one.

disregard trollface

• Doesn’t feel any different then before knowing. Like with all the “Made in China” products that must have been manufactured by slaves. Or the biofuel. The one for that people are starving to death somewhere because it so happens that they used to eat what now fuels the engine of lots of peoples cars.

• Anonymous says:

Biofuel is made from unusable left-overs of an organic product. Let us look at ethanol, the current largest source of which is sugarcane.

After the sugarcane is pressed and the juice obtained for further processing, one is left with essentially a flat piece of plant matter. The waste product is then left to ferment, after which it is processed again where the naturally occuring alcohol is removed, the waste matter is dried, and then used as combustible fuel for the distillation process.

The end result is a near self-sustaining process that provides two products.