Top 25 Most Underrated Anime

astarotte-no-omocha-astarotte-ygvar-touhara-asuha-illustration-by-haga-yui-001.jpg

Anime fans have selected what they consider to be some of the most underrated anime ever – providing a selection which at least looks likely to prove less controversial than their choices for the most overrated anime, if only slightly…

The ranking:

18. Hajime no Ippo

19. Kimi to Boku

20. Master Keaton

21. Sora no Manimani

22. Tamayura -Hitotose-

23. Medabots

24. Gakuen Utopia Manabi Straight!

25. And Yet The Town Moves

18:47 06/03/2012 # ! Quality (+1.0)

This is a list I can mostly agree with for once.

Comment by ArrowInTheKnee
    20:11 06/03/2012 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

Pretty happy with Chihayafuru at no.4 on the list good anime that many people overlooked

00:26 07/03/2012 # ! Drivel (-1.0)

Good anime ? you serious? O_o
    it can never be considered good anime tbh, 1 of the worst anime's i tried to watch ever..

Comment by Satonaka
    03:11 07/03/2012 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

@00:26 That's the reason why it succeeds, because it was about the characters and not about the card game, which is how you were viewing it. If you were thinking "dear god not another yugioh" then you're watching the wrong show buddy.

Chihayafuru is an excellent show, knowing that it will A) Never get a US release (marketing problems are so obvious on this one...) and B) the sales for it in Japan are probably gonan tank... and hard... so that it'll never get a second season make me sad :'(

00:41 07/03/2012 # ! Neutral (0)

You're not necessarily "wrong," but some anime just have certain kinds of ways of doing things and not everyone will agree with them. Frankly, I find the card game to be pretty confusing and somewhat boring for myself, but I've noticed the anime isn't about the card game. It's about the characters who are playing the game. And when it does character development, it really does it in a way that is completely understandable and astounding to me.

To each his/her own, though. I still think it deserves more attention than it has gotten, at least.

22:26 07/03/2012 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

I think I can get behind most of the list for once as well. Especially with the mention of Fam, the Silver Wing. Why is Last Exile not getting the attention it should? Oh...not enough moe I guess.

08:47 08/03/2012 # ! Neutral (+0.4)

But where's Boku no Pico?

04:30 12/03/2012 # ! Neutral (0)

Because the Fam is genuine shit. Even worse shit when compared to original.

08:14 10/05/2012 # ! Neutral (0)

If Hajime no Ippo had a regualr anime series like OP, Bleach or Naruto have, it'd be on par with detective Konan in longevity and more popular
    (which it's manga is by far) to boot.

20:53 06/03/2012 # ! Neutral (0)

I agree too. This list can be approved.

Hajime no Ippo should have been a long time series like Slam Dunk, One Piece, and others. Don't judge it by it's old school artwork. You can be addicted to boxing if you read this.

Lotte's Toy is more romantic & heartwarming than it appears. Maybe some "loliphobia" faggots make it underrated just like they do to Kodomo no Jikan.

Kamisama dolls is tasted flat in 1st season, but it seems that it could be potentially epic if the S2 can bring it more.

05:32 09/03/2012 # ! Neutral (0)

Is there going to be a S2?. I heard the BD release fell flat

Comment by John Hayabusa
    18:45 06/03/2012 # ! Quality (+0.8)

Astarotte, Dennou Coil, Last Exile Fam, and Manabi Straight. So agree with this list, especially with Dennou Coil. It is one of the best anime in the history.

Manabi Straight seriously needs more love and a second season. It mas some of the moe-st girls around.

Astarotte needs more yuri and lolis. The pic is super yurilicious by the way.

And we need more Famu Fan Fan.

Comment by Tex_Arcana
    20:38 06/03/2012 # ! Good (+0.6)

Dennou Coil is indeed a minor masterpiece, but I wonder if I had a strange reaction to it. As a kid, I think I'd enjoy the adventure aspects, and be bored by a lot of the exposition.

As an adult, it's absolutely gripping and terrifying.

Comment by Shippoyasha
    16:44 07/03/2012 # ! Neutral (0)

I thought Denno Coil got plenty of attention on the net, though perhaps not enough people watched it on late night TV or bought enough DVDs of it.

It'd be nice if they can do a Bluray release for world wide though.

"7. Kemono no Souja"

I'm surprised by some mentions like this. I thought I was the only person in this planet who liked Souja Erin.

22:57 10/03/2012 # ! Neutral (0)

I loved Kemono no Souja Erin. It's really an underrated anime.

21:41 06/03/2012 # ! Neutral (+0.4)

I also agree with the list. Heck most of them deserve to be continued. Haji me no Ippo can be considered an anime all star.

Comment by Imyou
    07:24 07/03/2012 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

Denno Coil was excellent, but didn't it win some sci-fi awards? Is it really underrated? That's sad.

Astalotte... I watched the first few. I could see it being underrated if people said it was absolute garbage. It wasn't worthless, but I didn't really see anything special.

If you'll excuse me, I have to go get Last Exile Fam now. I didn't even know it was out...

04:43 07/03/2012 # ! Neutral (0)

omocha anime sucked (and fam main char is too annoying (doesnt change the fact that fam is underrated))

Comment by Reboot
    22:58 06/03/2012 # ! Neutral (0)

Agreed. Especially Dennou Coil.

Comment by yuriphoria
    03:37 07/03/2012 # ! Neutral (0)

That avatar is cute, I don't remember it, is it new?

Comment by John Hayabusa
    14:29 07/03/2012 # ! Neutral (0)

It is a Mato/Yuu pic based on the sunset scene from Episode 5 of Black Rock Shooter. I got it from Danbooru. I hope that you are watching the anime, it has a lot of yuri potential. And hopefully, BRS does not go underrated.

Comment by John Hayabusa
    04:21 07/03/2012 # ! Neutral (0)

18:07 06/03/2012 # ! Good (+0.6)

Last exile is pretty good and legend of legendary heroes was epic:

22:16 06/03/2012 # ! Neutral (0)

Yeah, but Legend of Legendary Heroes is far from underrated when it has made it's way into many of the more prestigious listings of "must watch" anime.

00:07 07/03/2012 # ! Neutral (0)

But there's no doubt it got shitty sales.

20:32 06/03/2012 # ! Good (+0.6)

Legend of the Legendary Heroes?

OMG I LOVE YOU. Someone speaks the truth for once. Season 2 where!?

22:57 06/03/2012 # ! Neutral (0)

Yeah, it is pretty damn underrated and it does need a second season, considering it follows the novels pretty well and leaves itself open for one. Incomplete endings suck.

22:36 06/03/2012 # ! Neutral (+0.4)

Never thought I´d ever see Noein mentioned anywhere... thats a good show (with great outtakes).

But where are Lain and Kinos Journey?

01:37 07/03/2012 # ! Neutral (0)

Lain developed a cult following - it was too strange to ever be mainstream.

14:56 07/03/2012 # ! Neutral (0)

Saw it, found in uninteresting.

Weird does not mean good.

Then again Eva sucked so hard I gave up half way through it because I wanted to see everybody except Misato die and I've never been able to watch more than 3 minutes of One Piece.

Comment by John Hayabusa
    13:09 07/03/2012 # ! Neutral (0)

Lain needs more love.

Any Yoshitoshi ABe anime can be considered as underrated; Lain, Niea_7, and Haibane Renmei in particular. It is a shame because those three anime are really amazing.

23:12 14/03/2012 # ! Neutral (0)

Don't forget that the OS that Lain uses in the anime (at least at the start) was Copland OS, the OS that Apple was going to use before they bought NeXTSTEP from Steve Jobs.
    Just for some more crazy cool trivia.

09:52 09/03/2012 # ! Neutral (0)

@cuppatea

Don't forget augmented reality (those crazy junkies who walked around with those helmets). It was pure science fiction material when Lain came out, now there are even cheap iOS and Android apps that do it. In just a few more years even the glasses from Dennou Coil will be possible.

21:17 07/03/2012 # ! Neutral (0)

I love Lain, and I wish more people liked it.

One thing I really like about Lain is how much of the tech used in it has since become part of the Real World - people spending all their time on the net (the Wired), hacking groups seeking thrills like Anonymous (the Knights), smartphones and small tablet computers (Navi), videoconferencing over skype (digital voice calls in Lain), etc. That stuff still seemed pretty far away when Lain came out.

Comment by John Hayabusa
    04:31 07/03/2012 # ! Neutral (0)

04:17 07/03/2012 # ! Neutral (0)

Kino is just way too old to be remembered no matter how excellent it was, hell in the same vein Master Keaton you see it never mentioned anywhere.

19:11 06/03/2012 # ! Neutral (+0.4)

5. Katakana => Katanagatari (from Source)

07:40 08/03/2012 # ! Neutral (0)

Katanagatari is surely one of the best anime to come out.

KATANAGATARI COOL ANIME WITH A SHIT ENDING AND THE LAST EPISODE WAS MISSING FROM MOST DOWNLOADS

= FAIL

01:31 07/03/2012 # ! Neutral (+0.4)

.... Wait , you are judging an anime by the fact that the last episode was missing in your illegal download , right .
    =
    IF I CANTZ DUNLOD ITZ SHYT !

You just failed at life sir .

10:50 07/03/2012 # ! Neutral (0)

You are responding to a troll. Just so you know.

Comment by Powerpuff Loli
    16:33 07/03/2012 # ! Neutral (0)

Anon 10:50 is correct. Inflamatory comments in OMFGZALLCAPS is an automatic troll comment.

08:46 07/03/2012 # ! Neutral (0)

DOWNLOADING PIRATED ANIME

= FAIL

10:50 07/03/2012 # ! Neutral (0)

Downloading legal anime is even worse. It typically goes like this:

04:17 08/03/2012 # ! Neutral (0)

fail is your mom, morom!

23:30 06/03/2012 # ! Neutral (+0.4)

Magical Pokaan

Comment by Carrot_Glace
    20:31 06/03/2012 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

I'm glad someone noticed that True Tears is a damn good anime and deserves to be appreciated by more people.

22:24 06/03/2012 # ! Neutral (0)

Too bad it has only 7 episodes. I don't know why they didn't go a full 1-cour.

Comment by Dinomagic
    02:37 07/03/2012 # ! Neutral (0)

it has 13 episodes and 8 specials guys...

best Tearjerking anime though...

10:57 07/03/2012 # ! Neutral (0)

What a nonsense. Are you going to say that "The Matrix" had sequels next?

06:47 07/03/2012 # ! Neutral (0)

What? It ended right after he got together with Noe. You must be imagining things.

Comment by Satonaka
    03:12 07/03/2012 # ! Neutral (0)

I remember that show, couldn't stop watching it. No idea about the 8 special's tho, never even ehard of those. DId they add anything to the show, the plot, or were they just there as extras?