Top 20 Tear-Jerker Games

yuna

Top gaming rag Famitsu has quizzed its readers as to what games they find themselves dhedding the most tears over, unsurprisingly finding them to be a soppy bunch reduced to tears by the latest overwrought Final Fantasy yarn…

The ranking (note that most of the visual novels featured debuted on the PC as eroge, but for some inane reason Famitsu only acknowledges the Bowdlerised console editions):

1. Final Fantasy x (PS2)

2. Crisis Core – Final Fantasy XII (PSP)

3. Okami (PS2)

4. Clannad (PS2)

5. Metal Gear Solid 3 (PS2)

6. Steins;Gate (Xbox 360)

7. AIR (DC)

8. Final Fantasy VII (PS1)

9. Mother 3 (GBA)

10. Final Fantasy Type 0 (PSP)

11. Little Busters! (PS2)

12. Final Fantasy IX (PS1)

13. Nier Replicant (PS3)

14. 428 (Wii)

15. Tales of the Abyss (PS2)

16. Metal Gear Solid 4 (PS3)

17. Final Fantasy XIII (PS3)

18. Tales of Legendia (PS2)

19. ICO (PS2)

20. Shadow of the Colossus (PS2)

Final Fantasy X in fact routinely dominates lists of the most emotionally charged Japanese games (those which exclude PC eroge, at any rate) – although this is probably the first time Okami has managed to secure such an accolade…

16:36 30/12/2011 # ! Good (+0.8)

Funny seems more people got emotionally involved with older platform games... were games back then more captivating, or is it that consoles are getting less popular these days and reaching a smaller audience?

Comment by Nova
    16:39 30/12/2011 # ! Quality (+1.0)

Tear jerker endings are just out of fashion. In an era of cover based shooters and space marines there can be only HUMANITY FUCK YEAH.

Comment by SpideyPHL

Right uh, have you ever actually PLAYED one of those shooters? None of them have happy endings. I can honestly say I was more drained at the end of Gears 3 than a lot of these other games, though not all of them. For instance, why is Okami number 3?

I agree with anon below my post, some of these are legitimately the biggest tearjerkers, but a lot is the nostalgia filter than infects so many opinions.

05:20 01/01/2012 # ! Neutral (0)

true, I didn't regret saving them all at that point.

22:22 30/12/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

I shred a happy tear at the true end of the first Bioshock.

00:19 31/12/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

So who's the artist to the Yuna pic?

00:42 31/12/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

Heavy Rain?

Yeah I want more games with a more mature storyline and tear inducing stuff happening :(

01:58 31/12/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

console sales are slowly declining, in Japan, and handheld sales are rising slightly.

18:12 30/12/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

Nostalgia goggle.
    Old is always better in everyone's mind.

18:05 30/12/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

because the newer game they are lazy to make good gameplay and story that in the old game it is like a precious gem. newer game focus at graphic but they very lacking in other area where older game reach the standard

20:20 30/12/2011 # ! Good (+0.8)

That's actually incorrect. ALL of the final fantasy games have been ahead of their time in terms of graphics and graphics were always a big part of it. So now, they are just lazy.

22:09 30/12/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

Don't blame graphics. Blame marketing! Seriously 60% to 70% of a game's budget from any of the big corporations is spent on nothing but telling you how awesome the game is.

Really the only companies focusing on graphics at this point are: Id, Epic (Unreal), CryTek, and Tri-ace. CryTek and Tri-ace more than the others. 90% of the graphics advancements in the past 10 years has come from those 4 companies or their publicized research materials.

01:56 31/12/2011 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

i know this what we called smarta55 ! bring such as nonsense without proof it is lame !

01:37 31/12/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

Wait... you actually believe this? 60-70%? Hahahahahahaha.... Oh, wait, right, here's the proper reaction:

[citation needed]

19:12 30/12/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

it certainly is a little harder to do that "hero saves za warudo" endings because you have to establish a real connection between the characters and the players. why would you invest time and money in writing and implementing memorable characters into a game if most palyers buy it without them too?

i certainly remember many thigns about FF6 and 7, something i can't say about most modern games

16:46 30/12/2011 # ! Good (+0.8)

FFX was a HUGE tear-jerker for me. The thing was, it was a really good ending, so it was hard to deal with, but it made for a good story. I swear I was depressed for days after finishing that game.

I also agree with Crisis Core being on that list, because even though everyone knew what was coming for Zack, they still managed to do it in such a way that made it depressing. I just wish they had given Sephiroth more screen time since his fall made more of an impact after seeing him acting so human. It would have been stronger if they had shown him as a young man with Genesis and Angeal. Sephiroth needs more development but Square keeps skirting the issue so he remains mysterious.

16:51 30/12/2011 # ! Quality (+1.0)

The thing I don't get is, why are FFVII and FFIX on this list? FFVII's ending was so abstract that I didn't really feel anything, and FFIX had one of the happiest endings in the series. Maybe everyone was depressed over one of the main characters dying, but it was still a lot happier than most.

17:22 30/12/2011 # ! Quality (+1.0)

Everyone was depressed after finding out that Kuja was a trap.

14:10 31/12/2011 # ! Good (+0.8)

Hell Yeah I was depressed when I found that out. But I later got over and fapped to him anyways. Wtf is wrong with me.

08:56 31/12/2011 # ! Good (+0.6)

I went through half that fucking game thinking he was a girl.

18:28 30/12/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

maybe it's one of those 'it's so beautiful i could cry' kind of story. does a tearjerker has to be sad to make ppl shed a tear?

20:22 30/12/2011 # ! Good (+0.7)

I didn't get attached to Aeris. She was barely in the game. I thought that was one of their big mistakes regarding her character. If you want more people to be sad, you have to really build the relationship with the players.

12:06 31/12/2011 # ! Neutral (+0.4)

I cried of rage because I had just bought new equipment and materia for her and wanted to kill the son of a bitch who decided that was a good idea to kill her without giving me the option to remove her equipment afterwards.

Other than that, why would I care for her? I felt way more emotion with Scott's death and Hilda learning about it in FFII than anything that FFVII could dream to deliver.

Comment by カンチ
    19:14 30/12/2011 # ! Good (+0.3)

The fuck I care about Aerith for? I only had that bitch for like 7 hrs. There is no way for me to form attachment to a character that barely contributed to anything.

00:08 31/12/2011 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

I found Aerith annoying and was actually happy to get rid of her, I have never understood the emotional attachment people have with her. She was a much better character in Crisis Core though so I begun to see her good points through that game but never the original.

01:02 03/01/2012 # ! Neutral (0)

well, aeris dead was sinmply surprising, as it all pointed aat "shes from the old ancient race , the last one, the chosen one with th power to kill the last boss", plus sicne that wa s acommon development in FF-games, people expected one of the men to die while sacrificing themselves, most liekly barret or red xIII, so they were of course surprised by aeris deth..

18:53 30/12/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

Do you guys not remember Aerith's death?

22:14 30/12/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

Aerith death hit me hard because I choose her to ride the ferris wheel with me... then she.. she... NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO DAMN U SEPHIROTH U EVIL BASTARD!

20:07 30/12/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

well u may not, but lots of ppl had a part of them die when aerith died. i'm one of those, even 13 years later, i still blame myself for the lack of strength to save her. aerith's death had a very big impact on many ppl. besides, barret's and vincent's background story were sad in its own way too.

those vote is based on majority, and not your opinion alone sir

18:28 30/12/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

You realise you can cry from happiness right? "Tearjerker" means it made you cry, just in general. Although I understand kinda about FFVII, no tears there.

Comment by tyger
    02:25 31/12/2011 # ! Neutral (-0.2)

It's not always about endings. FFIX is the only video game that has really managed to get my eyes teary. It was the scene where the protag discovered who he really is - a killing machine. Then, one by one, his allies came to his side.

Amarant: You gave me reason to live
    Freya: You helped me find peace when I was in strife
    Eiko: You were my only friend, even if you didn't like me
    Vivi: Y-you showed me how to be b-brave
    Steiner: You showed me that I can think for myself
    Quina: You take me for eats lots of yummy foods
    Dagger: You showed me that I don't have to be anyone else

All: Zidane, YOU'RE NOT ALONE!

Best of it was that it was accompanied by this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KKAoSY5bhSw

After all that it may be just my childhood memories mixed together with everything that managed to leave me such an impression. Still, it's quite a scene to behold.

08:48 31/12/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

i agree. great scene. it touched me.

22:27 30/12/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

How did you get past Crisis Core's horrible gameplay mechanic to enjoy the story? I tried my best to enjoy it for the story, but that is one horrible game play.

09:58 01/01/2012 # ! Neutral (0)

Final Fantasy VII isn't known for having good gameplay or battle engine mechanics in ANY of its incarnations. So I wasn't expecting much. I honestly just wanted some elaboration about Zack and Sephiroth's characters.

They didn't really get creative with the battle engine until FFX. I really liked FFXIII's battle engine because I usually play MMO's so I'm used to picking classes based on that for battles, and because I was a huge Star Ocean 2 AI fan.

16:03 30/12/2011 # ! Good (+0.8)

Well FFX was kind of a tear jerker... until I played FFX-2. That made me tear up in different ways, but then I played FFXIII. That made me sob uncontrollably.

16:56 30/12/2011 # ! Good (+0.7)

I think FFX had an advantage and element of surprise because it followed up two games with really happy endings. People were probably expecting the same, especially with the cheerfulness of the main characters as opposed to the brooding cast of most previous games.

20:36 30/12/2011 # ! Good (+0.7)

I appreciated Tidus' cheerfulness. Same with Zidane.

I'm always surprised at the amount of people who were so heavily and negatively affected by his English voice actor doing a poor job.

Tidus was a good character. He was upbeat, probably one of the most athletic FF characters, strong-willed, and self-sacrificing. Sure he made mistakes but if he wasn't flawed he'd be boring. I had a lot more issues with the attitude problems and actions of some of the more popular FF heroes than I do with him.

10:36 01/01/2012 # ! Neutral (+0.4)

Tidus is awesome. Even in the US Dub.

Yes, his CURRENT version is extremely whiny. That's the point. You're supposed to get the difference between the whiny, wandering, random past Tidus in the game and the committed, stoic Tidus doing the voice-over.

16:49 01/01/2012 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

10:36 I agree with you, but I think it could have been executed a lot better. The way Tidus sounded in the beginning sounded a little too forced. If they wanted him to sound youthful and reckless, I think the voice actor should have worked harder to make it sound natural for the character.

Now, I forgive them for this, because it was their first Final Fantasy with voice over.

07:18 01/01/2012 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

I can understand why people could like Tidus or Zidane even if they aren't my favorites.

I will NEVER understand why Cloud is so popular. I thought he was whiny, delusional, and mentally and emotionally weak and pathetic. Even in the follow up games he had no significant development as a character. He's like the Edward Cullen of the video game world.

10:05 01/01/2012 # ! Neutral (0)

Cloud was a little bitch. He was only even remotely cool when he was pretending to be Zack.

I preferred Squall to Cloud. Cloud was a brain-damaged emo kid. Squall was depressing, but he could do his damn job without falling to pieces.

Also Squall's power was the product of real training, as opposed to Cloud who sucked as a soldier.

Zidane was a strong fighter because he had to fight to survive and be an air pirate his whole life, Tidus was a pro-athlete, Squall and Lightning were well-trained soldiers, and Cloud gets thrown into a tank and gains super powers. Good job Square.

11:07 01/01/2012 # ! Good (+0.6)

I do not agree because Square has been known to make sad stories and kill off important casts (ff4,6,7,10,12, tactics, spirit within, xenogears, saga frontier, secret of mana, vagrant story, FM series, etc...).

Ffx is definitely the most depressing one because you are informed early in the game about the consequence in defeating sin, and how the casts in the story handle it. Its not one of those 'oh shit' moments where suddenly somebody dies; the story has a well planned out scripting where the player is desperate to see a happy ending but they are well aware it won't happen, which makes it more heartfelt than a shock.

16:52 01/01/2012 # ! Neutral (+0.4)

Part of it was shock when you realized what was actually going to happen in the end. Characters you didn't know would die died, and the character who planned on dying from the beginning had to deal with other people's deaths instead. Especially the sudden way said person had to find out. I agree, it was really depressing.

Except Yuna's death is insinuated several times before it is explained, so its not quite the 'shock' you're saying.

Comment by Nekomancer
    05:41 31/12/2011 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

"it followed up two games with really happy endings."

I definitely wouldn't call FFIX ending a "happy ending"... It wasn't said straigh out at your face, but it was pretty obvious... About Vivi... *starts crying buckets of tears* TT______TT Because of this peaceful way how game dealt with it at the ending (with Vivi as a narrator) it made it even more painful...

14:21 31/12/2011 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

I actually blocked that out the first time I played and didn't realize it again until I picked up the game again YEARS later! I think because his life meant something and he seemed really happy it somehow made it easier.

Comment by Bigall
    15:26 31/12/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

I guess that many persons didn't understand FFIX's ending and why tt's not a happy ending.

00:42 31/12/2011 # ! Neutral (+0.3)

You people are whiny little bandwagon jumping bitches.

FFXIII wasn't half as horrible as people are saying it is. No, it wasn't one of their best, but those of you complaining that it was TEH WORSTEST GAME EVAR are just fucking retarded.

Not being as good as some of the previous titles do not make it a horrible title. You not liking certain aspects of the game (in this case a major complaint is linearity) does not make the entire game shit.

There are great aspects to EVERY Final Fantasy game. You can bitch and moan all you want, but if you just look at each game individually instead of whining that it wasn't like your favorite (which any idiot could tell you is completely fucking unrealistic) you'd see the good in each game.

I'm not saying you have to love FFXIII or even like it, but those of you sheep complaining that the ENTIRE fucking game was shit clearly don't have the brain capacity to evaluate a game without getting overemotional that it wasn't like your BESTEST GAME EVAR!

FFXIII isn't anywhere near one of my favorites and there were a lot of things that pissed me off. But the constant bandwagon crying is getting ridiculous.

You all whine for Square to try new things, then you whine that things aren't like they used to be, and then you all forget, with EVERY SINGLE FUCKING GAME that everyone says the game is shit, and then forgets about it and then pisses all over the next game, on and on and on, and then a few years down the line they are praising the game they pissed all over.

In before, "U MAD," because yes, I'm mad that you're all whiny sheep bitch ass pussies.

Comment by starsplash
    13:24 31/12/2011 # ! Good (+0.4)

Agreed, I enjoyed it. Seriously, it wasn't that bad. people just expected way to much. Need to go to each game with a blank slate.

14:24 31/12/2011 # ! Quality (+1.0)

THIS. Going into each game with a blank slate makes things so much easier. The only exceptions I make are close sequels because I want to see if the story is improved or made worse by the addition.

00:50 31/12/2011 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

"FFVIII was horrible! I hated the Junction system! WHIIIIIIINE! Why can't it be more like the older games?!"

"FFIX was horrible! I hated the character designs! It was too much like the older games! WHIIIIIIINE! Why can't it be something new?!"

"FFX was horrible! WHIIIIIIIIINE! It felt too much like a movie and I didn't like the main character because I'm too stupid to get past his voice actor so I'll just say I didn't like his 'personality'!"

"FFXII was horrible! WHIIIIIIINE! All the cinematics were boring! The main character wasn't interesting at all and didn't have enough personality!"

"FFXIII was horrible! WHIIIIIIIIINE! It was too linear! Forget all of the other good things about the game because I want to whine about the linearity forever! Why can't it be less linear?!"

"FFXIII-2 is horrible! WHIIIIIIIIINE! It's not linear anymore but it's the new game so I have to bitch about it or no one will think I'm cool even though it isn't even out yet!"

08:54 31/12/2011 # ! Good (+0.6)

I skipped FF7 because I'm too young to know what kind of whiny bullshit happened between FF6 and FF7. FF7 is one of my least favorite FF games. It had good things about it, and the evolution into a technological age as opposed to the old fantasy age was appreciated, but I hated Cloud with a passion and Sephiroth was completely lacking development as a villain.

02:54 31/12/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

He probably want to say FF7 is the best.

I say fuck it, FF7 was horrible!

00:58 03/01/2012 # ! Neutral (0)

i seriously think ff6 was the best out of them all....

why do u missed the FF VII. are you try being DISCRIMINATE ?

Comment by Chen-04

*whine* all those FFs are horribly, give me back the 8-bit stuff! In Final Fantasy (I) I could create my own characters and didn't have to control retards.

11:33 01/01/2012 # ! Neutral (0)

Ffxiii is not a horrible game but its not good either. I'm down for change in gameplay but ffxiii is not even a game. Also, majority of the casts are mirror images of older ff characters and the mood in the game is constantly gloomy because the casts are always serious and depressed. When snow is jolly, hope is a bitch. When hope finally becomes cheerful, snow becomes a bitch. Lightning never changes her CLoud attitude and vanille is just a terrible anime character placed in a supposed real world.

The world in ffxiii is very bland and linear.

The saddest thing is that all the casts look like discarded character designs of older ff games.

21:56 02/01/2012 # ! Neutral (0)

Most other FF games do have sad moments, but they are just moments. FFXIII's casts were constantly depressed from the beginning up to the last part of the story. When Snow is upbeat, Hope is angry and depressed. When Hope becomes happy, Snow becomes sad and depressed. Lightning is in permanent seriousness and Vanille's cheeriness is extremely superficial. Fang feels like a filler for Paine's character. This is why Sazh is the only likeable character in FFXIII.

A good reason why many ppl love FFX over the other sequels/prequels is that the entire party did their best to stay happy and cheerful, knowing what will happen at the end of their journey. There's a sense of comrade in FFX, meanwhile FFXIII is about everybody forced to team up, constantly break up, and reunite again.

In FFVII, everybody is driven by righteousness besides Cloud and Yuffie, but they had a fun journey.

In FFVIII, Squall may be a dick, but he amends by falling in love with a paper thin character Rinoa.

I'm that guy you responded to btw.

16:57 01/01/2012 # ! Neutral (0)

If you think back to most FF games, the majority of the casts had some gloom and depression issues because of what was going on around them. It's part of the conflict and urgency. It's just more apparent in these later games with the voices included. I can't think of one cast where the characters weren't depressed or angry about something for the most part. That's what drove them to fight. I didn't see much difference between FFXIII and previous games in this respect.

And I think Lightning is generally serious by nature, but she was no where near the weak and hopeless emo Cloud was.

the story in FFXIII was FUCKING SHIT. and with no towns to explore, it had nothing to distract from that fact. All it was, was a brightly colored dungeon crawler with 10 hours of story disrupting nonlinear grinding, followed by a disappointing ending to an already disappointing story. oh, and shitty characters who never step outside their stereotype comfort zone. deal with it.

06:58 01/01/2012 # ! Good (+0.6)

2:03 and 20:04 you two are fucking morons. Learn to read. No one was defending FF13.

20:04 31/12/2011 # ! Drivel (-1.0)

agreed..
    in sankaku quality comment get mass vote down a lot but they vote up some idiot comment.
    it is FACT that final fantasy XIII have LOW review score even compare to all other final fantasy.oh wait perhaps they don't want to hear a fact...

TL;DR

Still, that is just your opinion man.

03:36 01/01/2012 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

Your parents must have withheld a couple of chromosomes.

Fuck you, name a worse game than FF13 then dumbass. I hear this shit all the time by weeaboos but nobody has ever been able to name a worse game. And be realistic, some 12 year olds flash game doesn't count. FF13 is the most boring game that Ive ever bought, and I bought Fade to Black on PS1 which is regarded as one of the worst 3d games ever made.

06:54 01/01/2012 # ! Quality (+1.0)

What the fuck are you talking about? He said he didn't like FF13. You people getting pissy for nothing are just proving the point.

You have your facts confused there. XIII is not a game any more than a hamster wheel is. "Game" implies that players have meaningful effect on the events unfolding.
    It's wrongful marketing and not the story that people are displeased with.

09:20 31/12/2011 # ! Drivel (-0.8)

You're the "sheep" you fucking idiot. FF13 was insanely bad, if you weren't such a bitch that pisses your pants over anything japanese you'd see that, it was so fucking linear and long that it could barely be called a game, it was like punishment. Fucking christ what the fuck is wrong with you you sick masochistic fuck? But its japanese so sheep like you gladly say thank you as Square takes a huge shit in your mouth.

Motherfucker you are one stupid fuck.

14:22 31/12/2011 # ! Quality (+1.0)

He said he didn't like FF13. Words too hard for you bro?

16:44 31/12/2011 # ! Neutral (+0.4)

Not only can this guy not read he seems to really enjoy homosexual masochistic references.

Comment by Eff Yuu
    14:44 31/12/2011 # ! Good (+0.4)

LOL U MAD 9:20?!

Maybe if you dig that sand out of your scrot you'll learn to actually read before commenting.

19:38 30/12/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

oh come. on you can still play blitzball while SIN terrorizing Spira... what's so tear jerking about that.... :D

00:46 31/12/2011 # ! Quality (+1.0)

They play to escape from the lingering thought of impending doom. They play to bring cheer to a world that has lost its hope. They play to make everyone else forget but for a moment that there is anything else other than Blitzball that matters.
    Cherish your Blitzball players.

08:56 31/12/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

They even said all of this in the story. It was a great addition.

04:51 31/12/2011 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

I actually never finished FFX cuz I kept getting side tracked by Blitzball lol

20:57 30/12/2011 # ! Drivel (-0.8)

It is tear jerking you know ... LOOK ! the water where they dive and play all of their tear !

if you cry playing games and your a man, you are a fag. simple as that...

06:55 01/01/2012 # ! Neutral (+0.4)

I cried when I found out Kuja was a crap.

12 made you cry?, thats a sign of brain damage.

06:52 01/01/2012 # ! Good (+0.8)

The OP didn't say anything about 12. I think you need to learn some roman numerals bro.

I KNOW ..U CANT STAND HOW FF BECOME AS LOW AS CRAP...

FF 13 I MEAN