“9 Reasons You’re Glad To Have An Otaku Girlfriend”

sukumizu-kirino-kuroneko-saori-by-kanzaki-hiro

An article pondering some of the major merits of having an otaku girlfriend has lately been the subject of much discussion, with some quite convincing merits evident.

The reasons:

1. She’s tolerant towards your own maniacal interests

“They’re easy to date because there’s mutual respect for each other’s hobbies.”

2. She has broad knowledge so there’s lots to get worked up over in conversation

“Otaku have a lot of curiosity, so she’ll listen to all sorts of stuff.”

3. If they get hold of a DVD of their favourite anime their mood soon improves

“Whatever happens, watching an anime DVD box set soon puts her in a good mood.”

4. They like 2D men, so you can relax

“She doesn’t have much interest in 3D men, so there’s not much danger of her cheating on you.”

5. If you’re having trouble settling on a date venue, she’ll always be happy to stay home

“Actually my girlfriend doesn’t want to go out at all. We have enough fun just playing games together.”

6. She’ll recommend you shoujo manga, so you can get into a whole new world of material

“Just checking out your girlfriend’s recommendations can open up whole new genres to you.”

7. Since you may both like the same things, you can save some money by sharing them

“If we both like a title, if one of us buys it both get to enjoy it!”

8. They are easy to understand as they express themselves in a ‘manga-esque’ way

“It’s easy to tell what she’s thinking because of this, when she says ‘gaan’ and so on.”

9. You can enjoy her cosplay skills when the two of you are alone

“Seeing it is amazing. But I wouldn’t want to show her to other men…”

Not all of these points have successfully convinced actual otaku – although just how many actually have experience of the fairer sex, let alone their otaku subset, is a matter of some conjecture:

“Isn’t it a paradox for an otaku to have broad knowledge?”

“Wouldn’t it be better to date a fujoshi though…”

“My girlfriend does actually use phrases from One Piece in her speech.”

“These kinds are the most jarring.”

“It’s bad to say ‘gaan’? I had no idea.”

“Otaku do like saying ‘gyaaaah’ and similar.”

“It may be prejudice, but aren’t most of these otaku girls seriously ugly?”

“The ones who hate BL can be cute.”

“These researcher-type otaku can’t be more than 10% of the total otaku population. Most of them are tedious and exclusively interested in one thing.”

“The article is pretty realistic actually.”

“Interesting, but does anyone like this really exist?”

“My wife is no otaku, but we do enjoy watching anime and Kamen Rider DVDs together.”

“Having sex with an otaku’s girlfriend feels so good. NTRing some creepy otaku gives you a real sense of power and superiority.”

“What if you don’t like the same anime? You’d be seriously facepalming if she was like ‘Angel Beats is soooo good!'”

“Whether man or woman, train otaku are a no go though.”

“Are you jealous of our arguments over who is the cutest IdolMaster girl? She was dissing Ricchan and saying how much she hated my favourite, Chihaya.”

“I’ve no interest in anyone but seiyuu.”

“I want an otaku girlfriend!!!!”

See also 9 purported reasons to date such a girl in the first place.

Comment by Megidola
    01:30 25/12/2011 # ! Quality (+1.0)

You can can always tell when she's exasperated by the giant sweatdrop on her head, and popping veins tell you she's angry.

00:56 25/12/2011 # ! Quality (+1.0)

honestly, it's harder to find a reason NOT to like an otaku GF o_o

02:28 25/12/2011 # ! Drivel (-1.0)

how about-they're fat and ugly?

Comment by Busy
    05:46 25/12/2011 # ! Quality (+1.0)

Same could be said about male otakus.<:

20:11 25/12/2011 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

How to get a spouse:
    1) Be attractive
    2) Don't be unattractive.

05:56 25/12/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

it counts towards everybody.
    no one's gonna like someone if they think they're ugly.

03:33 25/12/2011 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

Sometimes that doesn't matter [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qh9ZZgDqzAg]...

12:20 25/12/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

yeah cause we all know sex is everything right??

/sarcasm

Comment by kumesana
    08:06 26/12/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

> Otaku girlfriend seems cool, but I'd prefer a beautiful and charming wife. The kind who'd just accept everything from her husband.

Errm. If you'd like anything near the last sentence at all, you'd better go for otaku girls. Won't work much, but will work better than with others.

01:16 26/12/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

Actually sex IS everything. Would you go near a fat, ugly women in the first place, without knowing she's a otaku or not ?

05:57 25/12/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

in all seriousness it does.
    I mean why be with someone if your not sexually attracted to them?
    you'll just put them in the "friend zone".

Comment by Yoshii-kun
    22:00 24/12/2011 # ! Quality (+1.0)

Nothing like enjoying what you love with the one you do.

01:40 25/12/2011 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

True love ^.^ (<?)

04:51 25/12/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

But Hentai...?

09:32 25/12/2011 # ! Neutral (+0.4)

Why not? Share your tastes with your mate too! Chances are they're just as fucked up.

I've done this in the past and mind you, it worked superbly well.

20:12 25/12/2011 # ! Neutral (+0.4)

Whenever the word 'tentacles' shows up, my friends look at me... :<

Comment by Ciscotaku
    02:20 26/12/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

I know my co-workers girlfriend likes hentai, he was telling me how weirder he was when he first found out...

14:45 26/12/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

I've always found tentacles fairly hilarious, but they disturb my boyfriend on some kind of primal level, so no tentacle hentai even for laughs. Alas.

17:25 25/12/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

I've watched hentai with my boyfriend. It was my idea as well.
    It wasn't a big deal at all for us.

Comment by JSRF
    21:54 24/12/2011 # ! Quality (+1.0)

Ah, the legendary otaku girlfriend, I've only witnessed this type of girl in anime and manga! But in all seriousness these types of girls are a damn rare find especially the cute ones.

07:39 25/12/2011 # ! Neutral (+0.4)

Actually found one, but she had a boyfriend. Her older brother teached her the otaku ways.
    If we can't fuck them, we can raise them for our comrades.

Comment by Otanon
    12:22 25/12/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

Here here!

05:45 25/12/2011 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

It's rare to find a real Otaku girl but for Otaku wanabe girls, they are not rare. I used to be preached about yaoi by these girls, but then they took a mace to their faces.

07:11 25/12/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

sorry buddy, but you got that wrong. 'Arrow to the knee' this the phrase you were looking for :P

The german dude
    (Again it's christmas and again I had one too many red wines, spending the rest of the evening being happily drunk :D )

03:50 27/12/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

Otaku girl?
    Blasphemy!
    They are all known as fujoshis!

Either that or they're just in the wannabe section.

22:05 24/12/2011 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

I know at least four of these, and I don't think I'm just lucky. :/

00:42 25/12/2011 # ! Quality (+1.0)

Theres nothing lucky about JUST knowing them

Comment by kumesana
    10:51 25/12/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

> Theres nothing lucky about JUST knowing them

Maybe not lucky, but if he knows them they definitely exist.

I personally know eleven girls very into anime stuff (maybe not qualifed as otaku but then I wouldn't qualify either.)
    I admit five of them I can't tell whether they are girlfriends of anyone. That still leaves at least six. The point stands.

20:40 24/05/2012 # ! Neutral (0)

I know a few, my sister is one, and she's a fujoshi. How is this lucky?

05:47 25/12/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

how lucky you are depends on how you are using the "word." biblical use or everyday use.

Comment by firemage
    07:41 25/12/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

I have one. She's a 5 foot tall tsundere, petite, blonde, blue eyed and loves kodomo no jikan and WoW. I feel blessed.

12:21 25/12/2011 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

Change blonde to redhead and you're describing my girlfriend! O.O So many girls I know like Kodomo No Jikan. Anyway high five! :D

Comment by firemage
    10:51 26/12/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

High five! Let's do swaps sometime lol!

07:44 25/12/2011 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

Can we please trade lives?

Comment by firemage
    10:50 26/12/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

Having a real-life tsundere isn't always what it's cracked up to be (as my shins will attest to).

03:52 27/12/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

If you're talking about Kashiwazaki Sena, she doesn't exist in real life.

09:41 24/05/2012 # ! Neutral (0)

I've found 10 or more in my entire life(i'm 16 years old) and one of them is my girlfriend since i was 14.She is the cute and beautiful type and its REALLY RARE TO FIND.Luck for you guys ^^'...ohh and btw...i am brazilian so...i cant help anyone here xP

23:20 26/12/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

I know one proper Otaku girl. She's friendly and fun, spends more time on manga, anime and games than I do, and even makes her own cosplay to a surprisingly good quality.

But sadly like the stereotype, she isn't much of a looker, is in poor physical shape... and balding. I can quite often see the frustration in her face when she gets the urge to try cosplaying a new character. She's great to hang out with and we get along well, but imagining anything beyond that... just isn't appealing. Makes me feel like a shallow jerk when I think about it. Which is a strange and annoying thing.

14:55 26/12/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

As an anime and manga fan girl, I've met quite a number of my own species. However, I generally choose not to befriend them, because there is a heavy correlation between "otaku girl" and "insane," just as there is a strong correlation between "otaku guy" and "mouth-breather." Personally I think that (regardless of gender) if you don't consider yourself a "true otaku" (I.E., not particularly interested in anything outside of anime/manga/games, might freak people out with your level of obsessiveness), you're way better off looking for a significant other who is a "fan" or even just nerdy and open to new pursuits than you are hooking up with a legit otaku, or else one of you is going to end up frightening and overwhelming the other. People like this are harder to find in both sexes. If you are, however, legitimately an otaku, then there are PLENTY of otaku girls to go around-- many who are actually quite attractive-- but a lot of whom are also totally batshit. It's a trade-off, I guess.

Comment by Taylor
    01:54 25/12/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

Yeah not many girls like konata izumi exist. Usually if girls like anime its like 'on the side'. Most are busy chasing guys or trying to be pretty so they can get a bf.

Any True otaku girls out there? Any? Respond with your otaku stats.

Comment by rei_yuriko
    06:55 25/12/2011 # ! Quality (+1.0)

I'm an Otaku girl. I'm not a BL fan. I have seen over 500 different anime ranging from SF/F to Shojo and Shonen to Mecha and to Psychological and Horror. I have about 50 anime figures and posters wallpapering my room. I have a Dakimakura. I have hundreds of Anime DVD's and Manga volumes. I cosplay and have been going to cons for years. I made a dojinshi once with my friends. I am also a general SF nerd and go to SF cons. People generally find me quite aesthetically pleasing.

11:51 25/12/2011 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

>But thinking about it if there are true konata-like otaku girls out there, they probably have at least one MAJOR flaw.

Yeah. I'm also an otaku girl, very into it, but I am *severely* shy (think Morita Mayu), and have some other emotional issues. I don't think I have ever met a completely well-adjusted otaku, male or female.

Comment by Taylor
    07:52 25/12/2011 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

Very impressive. You should be praised above all wimins. Unless you're a lesbian, then its pointless. Nice stats good to know girls like you are out there.

But thinking about it if there are true konata-like otaku girls out there, they probably have at least one MAJOR flaw. To have such a major plus maybe a major minus lurking somewhere...maybe that led them to becoming otaku. Seems to good to be true.

But good to hear you exist, keep up the good work and don't get any boyfriends. We otaku guys will pitch in and get you a field of flowers and butterflies to enjoy.

and some new anime. fk-yeah! +100 points for otaku girls in the world.

Comment by Busy
    05:44 25/12/2011 # ! Good (+0.6)

I am one but I don't like bl but besides that I own few hundreds of mangas, collect maid figures, sew cosplays, go to cons, watch hentais with my boyfriends and always know the latest new animes.

02:42 25/12/2011 # ! Neutral (+0.4)

Ok... You guys don't think there are any girls like Konata out there, but I'll tell you this. For the most part that is true. The female population that would rather watch an anime over shopping or hanging out with friends is very small, but it is there. For example I am a girl otaku that just graduated high school and I would rather spend all my time watching anime that I am following or havent seen before, while making as many cosplay as I can so long as I think I can do the character justice. Yes, I like BL, but I like yuri and hentai alike. I am am just over 5 feet, 120 pounds with D cup boobs. We exist you just have to find us. Just watching you guys argue about it is too funny to watch.

03:55 27/12/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

>>The female population that would rather watch an anime over shopping or hanging out with friends is very small

Either I'm that small minority, or I'm just :foreveralone.jpg:

Comment by Taylor
    11:11 26/12/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

how do we find cute non bl otaku girls? D:
    wherest do they dwelleth

19:59 26/12/2011 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

I'm an otaku girl too. I've seen some 700 anime (pretty much of every genre) and make a point of knowing what airs every season, even if I don't watch everything. I do like BL theoretically, but in practice I hate pretty much all BL that comes out - because I can maybe think of a handful that aren't absolute crap. Lately I've been into games, like SMT. On the other hand, I'm somewhat overweight so I'm apparently not up to most otaku's standards, lol. I have no interest in ever dating a guy that's not one, regardless of how good he looks.

02:26 25/12/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

I know I probably shouldn't be my girlfriend's voice, but she's an "otaku" and also bi (she mostly swings towards girls, but we have a special relationship). AND she comes here to Sankaku.

If you think in terms of otaku desire, I suppose I've struck gold, but she's not the only one of my female friends like that. So there have to be plenty of others if you look for them.

09:32 25/12/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

(I'm anon from 2:26... I really need to just sign up. Seriously. I've been coming here for a few years now...)

She's bi in that she has me as a sole partner, but she still likes to fantasize over other girls, too. We read ero-doujinshi and play moe-ge/ero-ge together occasionally. On the non-erotic side, we both collect figures and talk about philosophy and other things in anime/manga/games/etc.
    It really pays to look for someone with the same interests, on top of being able to tolerate them. =)

I just need to bring up cosplay to her. I know she'd be willing to do it, but ironically, I'm the one who's too nervous to bring up the topic... I also don't know how we'd get the costume... :/

06:43 25/12/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

Anon@03:34, you DO realize that bisexuality isn't a mathematical function, right? Don't say "if it were," since there's no way that if it will ever be.

His "girl" is bisexual, in that she is attracted to both men and women. Just being in a relationship doesn't change who one is attracted to.

03:34 25/12/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

Anon, You DO realise that there is no bisexuality in a relationship,right? If it were a mathematical function, bisexuality collapses when one enters a relationship, either as hetero- or homo- . Anything else is infidelity.

Unless if that's what you meant by "Special Relationship".

Lastly,and generally, there is nothing extraordinary about being otaku. The same rules apply whether your mate is or isn't otaku. like being loving,accommodating,attracted to,faithful to... and all that good stuff.

Comment by Sorrior
    03:33 25/12/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

I know two they both collect anime and manga though one enjoys BL and shoujo more than her younger sister the younger one enjoys more action series though they bith loved giddannar and i think they're still looking for some BL fanfics fir gravion. Oh and my daikamura don't bother em nor do my hentai fetishes. Now if i just had the balls to ask one out.

But yeah such women do exist.

Eh? What's with all these, "anti-BL" Otaku girls commenting? I feel slightly downtrodden...

Comment by alex
    23:58 24/12/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

es como una leyenda urbana... pero existen las novias otaku

00:07 25/12/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

existir existen, pero siempre las verás de la mano de otro tio XD.

es como la loteria, sabes que toca pero nunca te pasa a ti XD

p.d.: admito que me ha impresionado ver a otro español por aki Xd

02:22 25/12/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

que loco, no?

Yo estoy de novio con una chica otaku, vamos dos años ya. No sé qué le ven de legendario, hay chicas otakus por todos lados (en japón me sorprende que haya pocas). Y si vas a convenciones, siempre te hacés amigo de alguien que te puede presentar a sus amigas (a mi novia la conocí en el cumpleaños de un amigo, nos juntamos en un comiqueria y despues fuimos a un arcade jaja)

Esta bueno tener una novia otaku, igual, lo unico que cambia es que podés ser vos mismo en la relación, no hay que fingir ser nada. Despues, lo que son celos, histeriqueos, bueno jaja siempre estan, son mujeres after all xDDD

Comment by Alexeon
    05:16 25/12/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

Si, yo prefiero escribir en Ingles, pero probablemente es porque tengo muchos problemas gramáticos cuando escribo Español.

04:28 25/12/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

Los que hablamos español somos varios, de ahi a que queramos escribir, es otra historia :P

06:05 25/12/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

Ching chang chong, nip nang nong.

04:01 25/12/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

claro que existen,yo tengo una :D

10:06 25/12/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

cierto! y yo conozco varias...
    y ninguna sale conmigo GAAAN~~ v__v