schoolgirl-suicide-by-tamaru-tokihiko

Japan has discovered it has the unwelcome distinction of being the only G7 country in which the top cause of death for its young people is them killing themselves, with government statistics revealing suicide now accounts for over 50% of the deaths of men in their twenties and thirties.

The full breakdown, below, shows deaths arising from suicide in blue on the left, plotted against age, with various diseases and accidents making up the rest of the chart.

suicide-statistics-1

Suicides have in fact topped 30,000 each year for the last decade, with 31,690 people killing themselves in 2010, more than 6 times the number killed in traffic accidents.

suicide-statistics-3

Government statistics also show dramatic increases in certain causes of suicide – the following chart shows a 276% increase in students killing themselves due to problems finding work from 2007 to 2010, a 252% increase in suicides from familial disputes between parents and children, a 225% increase from “life difficulties,” 196% from work failures, 180% from job loss, and 130% from work related fatigue.

suicide-statistics-2

Suicides stemming from students trouble finding work in fact doubled over the last year, probably reflecting the ongoing breakdown in the traditional system of companies recruiting long-term regular employees straight from university, with many young people now reduced to mere contract positions where they can find work, which in Japan carries almost as much stigma as being unemployed.

There are no statistics on the number of 2ch denizens killing themselves, not that this stops them being experts on the subject:

“This data is seriously disturbing…”

“We have a suicide boom alright.”

“Learn from us, foreigners.”

“We have no dreams or hope.”

“We’re the ideal race – you can abuse us to destruction and we just quietly destroy ourselves.”

“There are probably a lot more people who want to kill themselves. The only thing stopping the numbers here is the cowardice of the Japanese.”

“The gift of our slave upbringing.”

“This country has made becoming a salaryman into a religion. Anyone who disagrees is treated like some kind of  evildoer.”

“Well, it’s better than having the top cause being war deaths or something.”

“Or accidents or murders.”

“With such determined young people, our future is bright indeed.”

“Our latest young people really are small fry, aren’t they?”

“We still have our culture of harikiri so this can’t be helped.”

“Shouldn’t it be the top cause in most countries for people in their twenties? How else will you die? I expect religious reasons see the real numbers supressed.”

“Like in crime or gun battles? Americans are constantly getting killed in those.”

“We have half the population of the US and twice as many suicides. This is messed up. Live, you guys!”

“But America’s murder rate is 10 times that of Japan…”

“And there are still old farts saying young people today have it easy.”

“There are so many possible pleasures, and yet you still get surrounded by people with no hobbies or interests. If you have interests, you’d hardly want to kill yourself just like that.”

“I’m going to live long enough to see the endings to Berserk and Hunter, then I’ll kill myself.”

“Who cares about killing yourself, you can live perfectly fine on part time jobs. I’m optimistic that I may even be able to get married. Life is easy, even if you have no money.”

“Idiots like you certainly don’t kill themselves, do they? It takes a certain amount of intelligence to kill yourself, in order to look ahead.”

“The reason is that the lives of Japanese are set by their twenties. If you mess up, your life is over and there are no second chances.”

“Killing yourself in your twenties is easier than living from 30 to 80.”

“Despite the fact it’s the elderly who need to die, it’s the young people killing  themselves because of the policies they made to benefit themselves.”

“Half of Japan’s young people are now society’s losers, it’s no wonder they kill themselves.”

“Does a country where all the young people are killing themselves have any future?”

16:58 15/12/2011 # ! Quality (+1.0)

It stems from the fact that everyone has to be rich. If you're not you're just shit.

17:01 15/12/2011 # ! Quality (+1.0)

Have to look like a movie star too. Don't forget that.

06:04 16/12/2011 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

@ Houselife
    Correct capitalism can only exist if children of rich people don't get any money or moneytare support from their parents and have to participate as equals with the poor children.

In this system, only the hardworking and intelligent people would get to a lot of money and it would be fair.
    As it is now, children of rich people can be the biggest slacker and get lots of money. And even if their not slackers they still have an edge over hard working poor people. That isn't the idea of capitalism. Never was.

Capitalism wasn't even really against poor people, it was against the noble class, who had a lot of privileges just because they where born to the right parents. Capitalism was a system to put a stop at this wrong system.

And if you accept Capitalism, I hope you at least buy your anime and don't steal/pirate them. Else your just opportunist scum. Its capitalism when its my money, its common wealth when it is the money of others. Fuck you, dear sir.

02:54 20/12/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

Liar. IT was nothing about societal system, noble or youth or whatever. It's just market economy

You are despicable, without humanity.

Comment by HouseLife
    17:59 15/12/2011 # ! Neutral (-0.2)

None of that is true. You can make yourself look better with a little bit of effort if that's what you're worried about. I'm still on P90X, lost another 10 pounds, have a sixpack showing through now, and eating cheese steaks and pizzas and such reasonably each week as treats and not gaining weight.

Choose your life, no matter what it is, no matter how poor you are, no matter how ugly you think you are, choose to be who you are right now. As soon as you do, you have true choice. This is what the line from Fight Club truly meant. Hitting bottom doesn't mean you have to let your life turn to shit before something happens. The only reason that happens is that the person who let their lives reach such a shitty point was so unaware of the clusterfuck they allowed themselves to be, that they reached a point so horrid that even THEY became aware of it. YOU are the one who CHOOSES where the bottom is. The only thing that keeps you plummeting in life is because you are too lazy to end the descent for yourself and make a choice.

Do you know why most people who are poor and unsuccessful hate the rich and successful? Let me ask you this. Can you walk up to a man driving a Porsche and say to him "Congratulations on that great car!" If you can't congratulate someone for being rich right now, but blame them for it for reasons you've made up in your head, then how can you possibly believe you'll feel worthy enough to be rich? Most people in this country mindlessly blame the "1%" with that dumbass buzz word, when most of that 1% is very generous, kind and earned their money. It's the 1% of the 1% that have made the news as being evil, greedy bastards. If we admitted how little drive we had in life, we'd realize the only reason we're not rich is because we chose not to act.

06:27 16/12/2011 # ! Good (+0.6)

"if you are poor how the hell do you manage your life to get richer, if you can only afford crappy meals that have more `stuffing` than actual produce in them how do you become healthy? a total load of horse shit"

Says by the average american who has a Ipad,Iphone,Macbook,PS3,Xbox 360 whenever he/she goes to those occupy protests.

Spoiled Brats. Tch.

22:59 15/12/2011 # ! Neutral (+0.4)

The 1% are not generous with their money. They are capitalists who manipulate their money to make it grow. You have to have money to make money: that's the system. Generosity has no place in it.

04:01 16/12/2011 # ! Neutral (+0.4)

Comment by Darkrockslizer
    23:50 15/12/2011 # ! Good (+0.4)

@22:59
    Capitalism also has a place for generosity: a bum receiving benefits and donations can go and buy your products to live another day instead of dying and not buying them, or (even worse) robbing people to survive and have a chance to go to jail, in which case you'd just pay for his existence from your taxes without receiving anything in return if he does get caught.

(And yes, implying he still helps the economy to go round by being a successful thief/burglar. Reality is harsh, lol)

06:30 16/12/2011 # ! Neutral (+0.4)

I hate people who cannot see from the other side of the fence. While it is within ye comfort zone typing how well you're doing from the keyboard. Try those words again when you have only 2 dollars to last the entire month.

The poor unlike the rich do not have the luxury of multiplying money. Its about putting food on the plate. Ultimately, eliminate money and problems will be solved (by replacing it with another source).

07:59 17/12/2011 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

@ HouseLife 15:15

You know, if life is as simple, everyone will be rich and money of no value. First mistake I noticed in your examples - HouseLife, is the want to emulate someone. I believe that you might have come across this book. "The Prince" by Machiavelli. If you have read it, you will know, imitating someone is the first step to failure. That person can make things happen his/her way because he/she is a maverick in that trade.

Second, you have already bought into the rich ideology. I believe, you're talking specifically about meritocracy. Your birth should be during the 'cold war'. Have you asked why Capitalism is still surviving, while Communism failed? The answer, is not as simple as Communism is wrong. The answer is the power divide is too clear. In Communism, it is either you're in power or not. Capitalism on the other hand tells you, you have a shot at power. That is where meritocracy comes in.

The "shot at power" idea I am going to spell out can be debunked as well. But this applies to the general population. There can never be too many people in power. Now, person A have put forth his best effort in getting the best grades. He fail and he is satisfied because he did take the shot. And now, because he have acknowledge his limits, is happy to settle for second best.

Next, let me explain economics. In the first place, if you are poor, why are you able to maintain credit cards? How can you still have the luxury of wealth to play games? The usual idea is to purchase what you want most. You walk away happy with your new toy. The company who produced it walks away happy because they have earned your money.

Wealth and power are closely related. The first step into loosing money, is to buy into ideology. In today's world, money no longer comes to the young. But people are willing to pay for knowledge. If you possess those, you will be rich. Anyways, this have gone totally out of topic. Think it through, and lastly, read more. I can only tell you the vices, but not a solution.

-E

Comment by HouseLife
    05:53 16/12/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

@ Anon 22:59

The rich are rewarded for their generosity in capitalism. The tax breaks they receive for their generosity exists as part of the capitalist system to encourage it. It is a brilliant part of the system to allow the money to go directly to the source, and the government recognizes that and removes itself from a large chunk of that money because of its intention. And yet most poor people somehow feel self-important and think rich people should be giving their money away without anything in return.

No. They shouldn't. Poor and stupid people do not deserve that much money, otherwise they would know how to earn it through their own actions. The vast majority of people who win the lottery squander their money because they are not psychologically prepared to have that money. There is actual psychological training you can do to clear your perceptions on money, which I have done. And I can promise you, there is no good place that hatred of rich people came from. It doesn't benefit you, it doesn't help you, all it does is prevent you from being rich. I said it before, if you hate rich people, why would you become rich? Your subconscious doesn't distinguish between the two, so your subconscious will prevent you from being rich.

Most people who earned a million dollars actually did earn it within the system, and didn't necessarily screw anyone to get it. Some did of course, but we'd be hypocritical to blame the many for the actions of the few. We talk about it for creepy otaku ruining it for the rest of us. The same exact concept exists for the rich.

03:10 16/12/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

Maybe the beggar just got the wrong occupation. Right leave out Warren Buffett, spare Bill Gates and Richard Branson. Don't we have someone like Steve Jobbs to blacken the names?

Before sharing your "Greek philosophy" please read into context of the culture and the underlying causes. Whatever Greek you're saying does not apply to Eastern culture.

Education followed by employment are of important values in East Asian countries, especially in S.Korea and Japan (and Singapore is getting there). This is a social expectation, laid down by generations and enforced by parents. How do we solve this (problem)? I suggest, watching "Battle Royal" in-relation to this article for a better idea.

- E

00:21 18/12/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

@ HouseLife 10:03
    Ref Anon 7:59

Language itself have its limits. I am talking about social control when I mentioned "And now, because he have acknowledge his limits, is happy to settle for second best." You yourself have agreed to this by mentioning about the "wealth ceiling". I just told you how that "wealth ceiling" is constructed. Read it again. And I also gave room for this idea to be discussed since it would only apply to our era (1930s-present).

The world do not have room for a 100% Alpha society where everyone is a CEO, a lead researcher etc. When I mentioned emulating someone is the first step to failure, it just means this. How much talent you as an individual have to become that someone? How many people out there can become the next Bill Gates or the next Obama. They are gifted in their fields. It is next to impossible to imitate them. I therefore, insist that you read "The Prince" to find out more about that I actually saying.

Before I just end this reply, where I am neither paid nor graded, today's world buys and sells information. It is inevitable that one have to read widely.

16:25 16/12/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

TL/DR....

same for most of the repliers as well

12:52 16/12/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

I think 'education' did take a toll on ye.

I am not going to present my case (reason being, I am neither paid nor graded, and being too time consuming), on the philosophy that was endorsed by Anon 09:46, but, I would like to bring up the works of George Orwell, especially "Down and Out in Paris and London" and "Keep the Aspidistra Flying" as reference against his arguments.

@anon 09:46

Nobody believes in the saying "rags to riches" anymore.

I was born in a poverty stricken country, I have no college education but I still move on and take on multiple jobs at a time at an early. For once, I know that living is hard, I assume anywhere, but I refuse to wait until the blessing falls down the heaven for you because it will never happen at all.

Comment by HouseLife
    10:03 17/12/2011 # ! Neutral (-0.2)

@ Anon 7:59

Emulating someone who has succeeded is a way to learn methods that work. The from there, you adapt based on what already works and make it better. You are the one who is thinking black and white, not me. Only the egotistical say that emulating someone leads to failure. You learn pitfalls and issues if you know how to listen, and I mean truly listen, something I know for certain nearly all of humanity CANNOT do because of their egos.

I have not bought into the rich ideology... I listened, and recognized the truth. Those who are rich achieved it through action, and didn't stop when they could have. I know that you don't have a clue what you're talking about as soon as you said "And now, because he have acknowledge his limits, is happy to settle for second best."

That's called accepting your lot in life, and is where poor people come from. You NEVER stop growing, and grades mean jack shit. You need to STOP reading and start THINKING and ACTING. My current situation is because of my own cowardice, but I still took action for when the situation shifts. The key is I'm not waiting for it to shift, I am working on other projects to make it work.

Oh, and I am 'poor' because I have redefined where my financial limit is. Every single person has a 'wealth ceiling' where they subconsciously believe they have 'too much' and they're a bad person for having that much money. The difference between the poor and the rich is poor people have their limits low, due to religious bullshit or any number of pointless things that help keep us from achieving wealth. The rich have a ceiling that is in figures that the poor can't even perceive. I'll prove it. Think of the number in your head that makes you feel like you'll be 'comfortable.' If it's something that can be achieved through middle class wages, then you are destined for that. If a certain number higher makes you feel guilty, you've passed your ceiling and need to look at your psychology around money.

Why is it that the good and true posts are downvoted?

I guess some people feel offended because HouseLife and Anon23:48described them too accurately.

Comment by HouseLife
    15:15 16/12/2011 # ! Neutral (-0.2)

@ Anon 6:30

By the way, I'm living paycheck to paycheck currently and am quite far from being rich in every way. The difference is that I have methods of doing it that will come with time, and I am patient. I need only a few games and some time to myself to be happy, but in order to reach the levels I'm sure I can, I have plans in place and am taking action to achieve my goals of financial freedom. Not many of my intentions have done what I wanted, but the difference between a goal and an expectation is that a goal is malleable and can never really be defeated no matter what happens as long as you move forward, while an expectation, when unmet, becomes a failure.

I am poor and living on credit cards, but I am not stupid enough to blame rich people. As I said, it does nothing whatsoever to assist my situation in the slightest. In fact I would gladly apprentice under a rich person and emulate their actions to achieve their level of success. If they started doing something illegal or something that did not fit with who I am as a person, I would find another way. My goal won't be stopped by mistakes or drawbacks.

That's how you become rich. And by the way, many many rich people were dirt poor at one point as well.

23:48 15/12/2011 # ! Drivel (-0.7)

Manipulate money... meaning to say invest it to make it grow? care to elaborate it please? Everyone manipulates money to their own discretion. I for once would like my money to grow so I can have resources to move around.

At one point, there are no people that are genuinely generous because everyone will expect something in return. I remember my parents always tell me to avoid free stuff as it is one of the greatest poison that ever inflicted the human logic, you become stagnant and dependent on that free stuff that once they are taken away from you, you complain and are most likely to do drastic measures to go back to the way how easy your life was in the past.

Also regarding about the post, I am an asian and I kinda know the feeling of parents pressuring you to become the best that you can be. The whole issue is still based on the person's fortitude if he/she wants to continue what he wants to do or succumb to their parent's will. In the end, whether you become successful or not, you yourself will be the one to blame for you are responsible for the path you take.

Not necessarily. A whole race systematically killing themselves off in their primes? It's just the weak ones of a race cycling themselves out. Seriously, if you're gonna cry all day about how life sucks and it's somehow a bright idea to kill yourselves, then just do it. Bunch of shabai crybabies, I'm so tired of your bitching.

Yeah that's right, I said it. The world is better off without people like them.

06:06 16/12/2011 # ! Good (+0.6)

Sadly not true. The world is better off with people that aren't talented or especially intelligent. Sadly, its most of the time the intelligent ones who go to suicide.
    They are way more important than most other scum walking arround like their is no problem in the world. Because those suiciding kids could invent jetpacks or space traveling at light speed if they don't die, while the other just pollute the earth and die at some point.

16:14 15/12/2011 # ! Quality (+1.0)

Yeah, I hate having to leave for work early in the morning before the guys who clear out all the murder victims in the street pass through my neighborhood. It's a pain to weave around all those dead bodies in my car.

Comment by Garyuu
    16:28 15/12/2011 # ! Quality (+1.0)

It really sucks. I died in a gun battle just last week. It's okay. I got better.

00:33 16/12/2011 # ! Quality (+1.0)

at least it's not as bad as it is in Scandinavia's northern parts where you lose everything when getting an arrow to the knee...

Comment by Randy
    14:25 16/12/2011 # ! Neutral (-0.2)

Snicker. Snicker..

You people need to carry more oranges with you. Just the other day I took an arrow to the spleen and I ate an orange and I was 'kay.

Omg ROFLMFAO

I used to be a... but then I got an arrow to the knee...

Comment by blahblah
    00:13 16/12/2011 # ! Good (+0.7)

Yeah, I mean you go get some milk at the 7-11 and you have to avoid neighbors shooting at each other. Then you have to shoot 10+ people to get into the store, deal with the shopkeepers shotgun, then repeat the process to get back home!!

They think a couple slums in large cities=95% of the country?

Although nobody should point that out since they would probably kill themselves!

06:28 16/12/2011 # ! Neutral (+0.4)

It was a joke, since America's murder rate is ten times higher than Japan's. I thought it was hilarious, personally. XD

08:36 17/12/2011 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

Thing is, it was probably not a joke. XD A LOT of Japanese really think that of America!

09:13 17/12/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

And a lot of Americans think that they'll see snow the second the cross the border to Canada. This is only true durring winter >.>

But Stereotypes exist everywhere, and will continue existing until the return of zombie Hitler. I look forward to that day!

17:25 16/12/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

South Africa's murder rate is even higher then America. Just saiyan.

08:42 16/12/2011 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

Anyone who has lived in Japan can tell you Japan has a lot of crime too. They just either don't report it, lie about it, ignore it and pretend it will go away, or blame it on foreigners so their numbers don't go up.

00:08 22/12/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

You are a liar.
    The concealment of the crime is possible in country of any place.
    However, the person who lived in Japan can understand that Japan's criminal rate of incidence is truly low.
    But there are many criminals of the foreigner in Japan.

Comment by john
    13:16 18/12/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

That's true, especially Tokyo is really danger, but we only blame on asian foreigners.
    I wonder why many of us dislike other asians even though we are part of asia lol

00:13 22/12/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

I understood that it was the human being that you did not live in Tokyo. The crime rate of Tokyo is lower than a world city.
    However, there are many criminals of the Asian in Japan.
    You are a person of persecution complex, and liar.

19:04 16/12/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

At anon 16:14 what area u talking about? I only needed to use my gun once on some gang bangs that jumped some kid in south Boston. And that was to stop him from getting killed. Now u go out to the country areas u don't have this gang problem cause almost every one has a gun.

08:44 16/12/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

I've never even seen a real gun that wasn't on a cop.

18:38 15/12/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

Accidents are by far the leading cause of death for Americans both age 15-24 and 25-34. Suicide is the next highest cause of death for Americans age 25-34, narrowly topping Homicide. Those roles are reversed for Americans age 15-24. Heart disease is fourth followed by cancer.

19:01 15/12/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

In Japan only old people drive, so that must one of the reasons.

19:46 15/12/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

lol silly cowards, " your life is set by your 20's"? bullshit fucking learn english or another commonly spoken language and move the hell outta there, most of u at least finish university, i gaurantee u'd find work meet a nice girl or guy and settle down. japan isn't the entire world u know

00:11 16/12/2011 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

U know! u'd get far!

learn english! My stomach hurts from laughter!

06:20 16/12/2011 # ! Neutral (+0.4)

Wait, did I just read that right? Those 2 words in the same sentence not seperated by any other word? FINISH UNIVERISTY? I dare you to finish university in Japan. I Fucking dare you lol.

Comment by WEL
    02:25 16/12/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

And why you laugh? I'm not American or anything but the truth is that English, Spanish and Madarin are the most spoken languages in the whole world. And English is the most preferred second language to learn after the native one, which mean that there's a higher opportunity of finding someone that speaks English anywhere in the world than any other language.

You should go to school and learn something you know. =/

06:26 17/12/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

From what I've heard, finishing university in Japan is far easier than getting into it.

Comment by Gitami
    10:07 17/12/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

A friend explained getting into university - the preparations that go with it and the amount of work you put into university is what gets you jobs rather than what you learn.

23:25 15/12/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

I stopped reading your rant when you starting using "u" as a word.

Comment by Kyon
    15:31 15/12/2011 # ! Quality (+1.0)

Nobody can live forever, my friend.

Comment by Remilia Scarlet
    15:38 15/12/2011 # ! Quality (+1.0)

*Glomp Reimu from the behind*

*giggle*

"If you are bored, how about we're telling the scary story"
    "The story about a girl live more than 500 year"
    "that girl is me"

Comment by Kyon
    15:58 15/12/2011 # ! Quality (+1.0)

The scary stuff about the history is that the girl will live another 500 years, and will not see the ending of those series...

... Also, let Reimu go.

Comment by Tsuchiya Kouta
    15:44 15/12/2011 # ! Good (+0.4)

So after seeing the endings of Berserk and Hunter, you will kill yourself ?
    Even if Anime is not censor-ship anymore ?
    Even if I give you loli and cookies ?
    Even if the law allow have loli porn ?

15:46 15/12/2011 # ! Neutral (+0.4)

Lawl.
    Real lolis aren't the same and cookies will kill me eventually.
    Lawl.

17:44 15/12/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

i am somehow reminded of that one "how i met your mother" episode, the "he doesn't know what lol means" one

15:39 15/12/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

Love it. Seriously? No +1 for this grand statement?

Comment by Diemeow23
    16:31 15/12/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

Yet researchers are still hard at work

Wouldn't mind being the first one to try out the immortality pill (fixes your cells so they can regularly multiply forever) You only get live once so...yeah XD