“9 Ways You Got Exposed As An Otaku To A Guy”

otaku-onna

Female otaku have been sharing some of the ways they have apparently been exposed as otaku to surrounding commoner males, with predictably disastrous results for their social standing.

The passage in question:

1. A guy said ‘how old is Luffy anyway?’ and I immediately replied ’17’

“He was like ‘why’d you know that!?'” – twenty-something female

2. I accidentally called a cameraman a “cameko”

“That’s what we call camera types at cosplay shooting events” – twenty-something female

3. I slipped net slang into everyday conversation, saying ‘that’s a flag that it’s going to rain tomorrow’

“It really exposed me as a user of a certain huge BBS…” – twenty-something female

4. I compared drinking an energy drink to using a potion…

“I love Final Fantasy so I kind of thought of potions” – twenty-something female

5. At karaoke, the only songs I could sing were all anime-related

“I didn’t know a thing about J-Pop!” – teenage girl

6. I was rumbled as a groupie after my repeated mysterious trips were discovered to coincide with a band’s appearances

“I just want to go to every single one of this band’s appearances” – twenty-something female

7. I was busted looking at a picture of an idol on my phone

“I was apparently dreamily grinning at the picture…” – teenage girl

8. I was found out as a cosplayer after it emerged how good I was with a sewing machine in class

“‘Why are you so skilled?’ they asked with surprise. I couldn’t conceal it.” – teenage girl

9. I was unable to conceal my excitement when my favourite idol appeared in a drama

“Before I knew it I was talking excitedly about him…” – twenty-something female

There is some sympathy online, not that this is of much consolation where otaku-despising 3D friends are concerned:

“Who cares, if it’s cute!”

“There are no female otaku.”

“Apart from Johnnies otaku and band groupies it’s all good. But not those two.”

“Would anyone really be bothered about someone reading One Piece?”

“You aren’t an otaku just because you know One Piece…”

“Female otaku appeal is annoying.”

“2, 3, 4, 5 and 8 aren’t even otaku, they are just creepy Nicotards and Vippers.”

“I only go for Akiba maids so I don’t even see these as abnormal.”

“I went to my girlfriend’s room and I saw Raoh on his steed. I want to die.”

“I went out with my girlfriend and one of her friends. They were busted when they greeted each other as ‘onushi’.”

“I bumped into my elder brother in the genkan and my eroge dropped out of its DVD case…”

“I bet 2/3rds of this was just made up by whoever wrote this. It’s even more annoying than if they had made up all of it.”

“Lightweights. No otaku would know Luffy’s birthday.”

“Only 8 and 9 are plausible. I dated a cosplayer and she showed no sign of 1-7.”

“If being an otaku is so bad, give it up already!”

Comment by Sarkazmo
    01:41 02/12/2011 # ! Quality (+1.0)

Here's an idea: Date people who have the same interests as you and forget about the rest and their opinions. Be the person you are and be with a person that's understanding and enjoys the same sort of stuff.

03:58 02/12/2011 # ! Quality (+1.0)

There is a great difference in European and Japanese culture in this regard:

Euro/US Idealized idea of partnership:

Wife and Husband have the same interests and friends, hang out together without getting fed up of each other.

Japanese ideal:

Wife and Husband function perfectly as a couple at home.
    But hanging out together is considered clingy and uncool. Both have their independent groups of friends and spend the free time without the partner. (unless it's a romantic trip with reproductive purpose)

04:48 02/12/2011 # ! Good (+0.5)

Japs sure do love their sex in the missionary position for the purpose of procreation.

Comment by Kudeh
    11:30 02/12/2011 # ! Quality (+1.0)

Their birthrate suggests otherwise.

15:35 02/12/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

@11:30 - That's because men don't have enough money.

23:50 03/12/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

@ 07:00 Native Europeans hardly reproduce at all (like the Japanese).
    But while the Japanese try to use Robots to counter the problem.
    The population in the EU is slowly substituted
    With a drop of the EU Nations average intelligence and eventually economical performance.
    In Germany it's the most obvious statistically, with a drop from about 107 IQ points and hardly any immigrants in the 80s (above Japan and on a level with city states like Singapore an Hong Kong) to 102 and recently 98 points.
    At the moment 1/3 of the population has an immigration background, but a large part of it is still from German populations in east Europe so the intelligence impact will likely be much larger in the future. Most current immigration is into the social security systems where a typical large Arab family will get a free TV, Computer, Food and 4LDK... with the Father not having to work (can't get a job as he doesn't speak the language and is only qualified to herd sheep, which is why he couldn't find work where he came from) while being able to use the welfare money he gets to buy clothing an toys for his 8 children to lease a large BMW Merc or Audi. ( and his adult children collecting dschizya on the street... )
    ..To be fair to decrease in intelligence and exploitation of the typical welfare system of European states isn't limited to immigrants. And European and east-Asian immigrants don't play a larger role than natives. But The Europeans that do reproduce the most are the ones that can't be bothered find a job...

12:45 09/12/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

As a girl who's into figures,gaming,manga,anime and a bit of hentai here and there, what the hell do your comments have to do with
    fujyoshi/fem-taku??

13:06 03/12/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

Anon 15:35 since when birthrates has to do with money? if that were true birthrates would decline in 3rd World countries, and they are not.
    even more, paid sex oftenly has nothing to do with breeding.

07:00 03/12/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

Note that nearly all western European countries also have a declining birth rate and if it weren't for the Teenage pregnancies occurring in the United States, the US would also have a declining birth rate. Relationships and Sex positions are overrated.

13:47 02/12/2011 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

Truth: US women think that they must have all the same interests as their man, and should always be right there, together, everywhere he goes, never apart, always under her watchful eye, and he shouldn't have other friends, or interests, or life outside of her at all whatsoever, completely crucified to her like a human cross, grinning and paying all the way as blood slowly trickles from his every orifice. US men envy the Japanese relationship.

05:56 03/12/2011 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

anon 1, stated like a true virgin. Blame women for not wanting to get in bed with you.

I'm a walking oxymoron, black, American, otaku, jock and fitness guro(excels at basketball football and wrestling/jujitsu/judo), listen to rock, have all white friends, but dates a black girl, im an atheist she's a very southern baptist, and very typical black person. we have little in common, but happy as can because we love eachother not what eachothers likes.

20:49 02/12/2011 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

anon@13:47

it is not truth, it's stereotyping. maybe it's only what you've seen on tv, maybe it's the sum of your personal experience. but it is not fact. girls like alone-time and to hang out with friends as much as men do. some with a complex or a personality disorder have to cling to their man, but that is not the whole of american society. just throwing some of my experience into the mix, brother.

15:18 02/12/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

Preach it!

04:38 07/12/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

AHHHHHHHHH THERES A BLACK MAN ON MY BOARD

12:29 02/12/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

so how 'bout a happy medium?

yeah, you gotta find a partner you're compatible with, but if you do hook up with someone, you also have to function as a unit... and as individuals.

difficult but not impossible

Comment by Gitami
    13:33 02/12/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

Going to be difficult when falling out if your friends are the same people (with minor variations).

12:10 02/12/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

Thats why European married couples are more social... I dont understand what is the problem with them hanging out?

Comment by Lexi
    13:38 02/12/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

That's kind of sad.

Comment by
    10:17 03/12/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

They could do a lot worse than learn enough English and have their pick of foreign otaku boyfriends. Having a Japanese girlfriend would be a giant deal, like having turning up to school/college in a Ferrari without any warning, plus there would be less need to hide anything.

"Of course he's odd/different/doesn't get that I'm not an otaku. He's foreign."
    "Ah."

09:48 02/12/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

Anything reproductive is good....

08:42 02/12/2011 # ! Quality (+1.0)

Yes... Western relationships are so needy and suffocating.

13:24 02/12/2011 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

There's just too many false expectations in Western relationships; similar interests is a huge one, and it's always that whole 'there's plenty of fish in the sea' crap you get all the time.

Japan has similar problems with women expecting outrageous income from their partners - I'd immediately have a problem with a Jap woman simple because I refuse to allow anyone access to my accounts.

06:01 02/12/2011 # ! Good (+0.6)

Time to go Nerd girl hunting ......

I mean dating of course

07:50 02/12/2011 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

They are girls so they still want good looking guys. To find a good looking guy that is also an otaku......you do the math.

Comment by Saber
    18:12 02/12/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

So they want me.

12:11 02/12/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

uh huh, and men aren't shallow at all. Hell, most of the guys here aren't willing to look past the 2nd dimension.

22:07 02/12/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

Thats just normal as the 3D ones will steal from us everything and so called legally grrrrr .

11:32 02/12/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

agree te best thing to do

14:27 03/12/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

Have my up vote

14:06 03/12/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

OMG Motaku96 is a Cameko?!!!

11:20 02/12/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

Looks like a lose lose situation.

02:20 02/12/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

That seems quite rational, and indeed, I think it's the way nearly anyone would prefer to go...

However, when you live in a group-based society that shuns people with controversial hobbies and interests, revealing yourself to be associated with those outcasts will only hurt your relationships with others. And again, when you live in a group-based society, even slight wounds in a relationship can bring about disasters.

The best situation is coming out with it and still being accepted for who you are, which DOES happen in Japan. It just doesn't happen enough.

Though, this is all my personal experience. The school's art club was made up of female otaku and they were all searching for boyfriends, but all confided in me that it was impossible as long as they were known to be otaku. The sad part is that their art was amazing for high schoolers, which should be something to look up to, not down to.

03:40 03/12/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

Where do they live? =D

02:12 02/12/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

A good idea and don't forget otaku guys will mostly treasure their girlfriends if they ever manage to get one

Comment by Kudeh

PROTIP:

Girls either find that kind of behaviour creepy or see it as a pathetic act of desperation.

Comment by Megidola
    04:31 02/12/2011 # ! Good (+0.4)

I sense that taking relationship advice from someone calling themselves "Ultimate Scumbag" may not be the wisest of ideas...

03:03 02/12/2011 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

So nothing is good for them? This is why I stay with 2D, there is no satisfying 3D females...

Comment by Imyou
    04:42 02/12/2011 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

So you just have to trash them and make them think they're beneath you, right?

Protip: Treasuring isn't fawning over.

04:09 04/12/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

The lulz is strong with this one. Well played, sir.

Comment by Kudeh
    11:20 02/12/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

In the unlikely event that any of you ever get a 3D girlfriend, you'll see what I mean when she dumps you for "smothering" her.

And yes, "treasuring" is fawning when it's done by an overweight aspie stalker who has no idea where the boundaries are (PROTIP: you lot don't).

02:53 02/12/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

"Pro"

I laughted.

Comment by SaltyPenguin
    08:56 02/12/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

PROTIP: Change your name before you even think about giving shitty advice, it's far too obvious.

Comment by Kudeh
    04:01 02/12/2011 # ! Neutral (-0.3)

@ 02:53

What does "laughted" mean?

@ 03:03

It's easy to please 3D. Just be an arsehole. They respect that.

02:00 02/12/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

Not everyone can think like that, most people try to score the hot ones instead of somebody that could understand them and then complain how they can't get along with each other.

Comment by Achiuakuna
    02:21 02/12/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

I think like that, and it doesn't work out.

Otaku girls are so high an mighty when they realize that they are the rare ones. Even if they are ugly and fat, they still have unrealistically high standards simply because they know they are rare and are total bitches if you try to get close to them.

Comment by Alice
    02:44 02/12/2011 # ! Quality (+1.0)

You're confusing "nerd gurlz" with actual girls that happen to have genuine nerdy interests. A lot of them are down to earth and just want to share their interests with other people. The aforementioned "nerd gurlz" can't go a sentence without announcing how nerdy they are, and just use it to get attention.

Comment by yaku
    03:11 02/12/2011 # ! Good (+0.4)

You must be talking about the selected group who are screeching delusional fangirls who give the sensible rest. It's ok, we otaku girls get a bad rep from the annoying kind, just like otaku guys get a lolicon bad rep from the deranged lolicons.

With that kind of mentality, you won't befriend the nice nerdy girls who just want to hang out. And if you dismiss even the nice ones just because they're ugly and/or fat and only want beautiful nerdy girls around you, maybe you should look at yourself and wonder who's the truly ugly one there.

Comment by Achiuakuna
    05:59 02/12/2011 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

When did I ever say I dismiss the nice ones BECAUSE they are ugly and fat? All I'm saying is that they are not nice to begin with, and I dismiss them because they have bad personalities. The fat and ugly comment was used to emphasize how little I actually care about looks.

Again, when did I ever say I " only want beautiful nerdy girls around" me? "Beautiful/handsome and nerdy"is in fact too much to ask for from anyone.

The other problem is that as far as I know otaku girls don't really want otaku guys as life partners. Sure you can hang out and play, but when it gets down to the serious stuff, they would definitely choose a man who's not an disgusting otaku defect.

Comment by yaku
    17:30 02/12/2011 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

You still are dismissing them as:

1- not nice to begin with
    2- bad personalities

First of all, how many female otaku have you met AND known so you can make such a broad assumption? And don't tell me that you've just looked at a couple and assumed, because that's no way of actually knowing a person (asides the ones who truly seem crazy). I'm still talking about your mentality; you are not only on the defensive but you're also negative, already assuming they will be rotten even when you don't know them. Tell me who would like to be with a person who judges them negatively from the beginning? Isn't this the same way we are treated as soon as we say we like anime by "regular" people?

The same goes with finding a life partner; how do you expect to find one if you have such a rotten mentality towards meeting a girl? A few bad encounters doesn't mean you already know everything about such a big group, just like I know not all male otaku are ugly or jerks, which are some of the unfair stereotypes we are saddled with. I've met my share of jerk male/female otaku and have befriended great ones with the kindest hearts I'll ever find, and we're great friends.

If you are trying to find an otaku girlfriend first change your mentality and stop judging. I'm sure that as an otaku fellow you understand how horrible it feels to be accused of stereotypes. And who can say whether you won't find your girl among the friends you make?

And if looks really don't matter to you, kudos! My otaku friends range from all kinds of bodies and beauty, so yes looks shouldn't matter if the personality is beautiful.

I'm not trying to attack you, just trying to explain that kindness begets kindness. I hope you and the ones who upped your comment (which I will assume means they agree to an extent with you) also understand and stop being pessimistic. Don't get discouraged by the jerks of the world and concentrate on meeting great people; I'm sure you'll find great friends and who knows, a great girlfriend.

12:13 02/12/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

My girlfriend loves piko more than she loves me...

03:44 03/12/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

"99.99% of gaijin males are attracted exclusively to tiny, Asian girls with massive eyes, microscopic skirts and chronic giggling. The other 0.01% are gay."

(Note that there is no mention of otakuhood).

--Uncyclopedia

07:53 02/12/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

In Japan or in the US? I know a few nerdy chicks who're just nerdy, not bitchy, in the US. Including myself, which is why I haven't been single ever since highschool, when people stopped caring about stupid bullshit like that.

Comment by yaku
    02:11 02/12/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

Time to get the ones that do think like that, then :D

14:59 04/12/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

if more girls had your type of view on things or just people in general this world will be a much better,understanding,less shitty place

10:08 02/12/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

maybe if they spent a little less time hating each other, they would be able to accept one and other.