“8 Male Fashion Faux Pas No Woman Will Tolerate”

8-male-fashion-faux-pas-1.jpg

A list of the 8 worst fashion blunders a man can commit (according to Japanese women at least) have lately been the topic of much ponderous debate – not least the crucial importance accorded to not tucking in shirts.

The 8 fashion faux pas (which it should be noted are based on some journalist’s efforts to divine the fashion sense of all women rather than an actual survey, and which strangely almost all appear to be pictured in the classic and otherwise unrelated “Akihabara Street View” shown above):

1. Tucked in shirts!

The thoughts of any woman about this can be summed up as “it’s just wrong!”

2. Otaku type fashion

Just what are they keeping in those rucksacks!

3. Shoes which taper to a point

Nobody likes men wearing shoes which make them look like Peter Pan.

4. Crucifixes

These get panned a lot as being “middle school fashion” – kids just developing an awareness of style seem to love their crosses.

5. Sloppy clothing

6. Flashy clothing

7. Narcissistic type fashion

8. Dressed in all black

The 2ch response is suspiciously defensive:

“I don’t see what’s wrong with having your shirt tucked in? Foreigners do it all the time.”

“It used to be expected for you to have it tucked in.”

“I really don’t see what’s wrong with it?”

“Shirts tucked in with casual clothing. Of course you’d tuck it in with a formal suit.”

“You wouldn’t wear a shirt under a jacket if it wasn’t tucked in. Women just sout stereotypes about fashion in cases like these.”

8-male-fashion-faux-pas-2.jpg

“Shirt in is cool!”

“That’s a white guy so it works. Japanese with their short legs and long torsos couldn’t get away with it…”

“Saying it has to be tucked in is so nineties. Some old woman needs to study up on recent fashions I see.”

“Someone wearing a jacket who doesn’t tuck their shirt in becomes an example of ota-fashion…”

“You lot are really touchy about tucking your shirts in. I wonder why…”

“You guys got hit pretty hard by 8 I see.”

“But black is so easy to do!”

8-male-fashion-faux-pas-3.jpg

8-male-fashion-faux-pas-4.jpg

“Otaku really love black?”

“If he’s hot they’ll still try to get with him even while they complain about his dress.”

“I can really agree about the pointy shoes. No matter how good the brand I can’t abide them.”

“3, 4, 7, 8 – so they dislike visual kei?”

“Can we wear Japanese clothing?”

“Like what a sloppily dressed bunch of women say matters.”

“I may only be a virgin, but it seems women are just treating their boyfriends as fashion accessories?”

Comment by kanbanmusume
    04:21 02/09/2011 # ! Quality (+0.8)

As long as the guy I'm with isn't wearing clothes that are dirty or smelly(I don't mean he just got off work), and he doesn't look like Ronald McDonald or gangbanger wannabee it's all good

Comment by cats2
    05:17 02/09/2011 # ! Quality (+0.8)

Ronald McDonald? What, hate tall red heads, or the baggy overalls, heh?

Comment by kanbanmusume
    05:49 02/09/2011 # ! Quality (+0.8)

When I was a little girl my dad let me watch "Killer Klowns from Outer Space" and it scarred me for life.

Then I heard about John Wayne Gacy and saw a picture of him made up as a Pogo the clown. Yikes!

I think Ronald has evil intentions selling all those crappy hamburgers or maybe it's those stupid shoes!

I think the clowns are trying to take over the world! ;)

10:13 02/09/2011 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

To quote Billy and Mandy. "Clowns are nothing but ultimate evil! The want to be the dominant species on the planet, and they'll destroy us all to make it happen! DESTROY US ALL! DESTROY US ALL! DESTROY US ALL!" etc.

:P

14:56 02/09/2011 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

If you really hate clowns, watch Stephen King's IT right. Very freaky clown on there.
    -"Yeah the balloons float... and when you're down here... YOU'LL FLOAT TOO!!!!"

Comment by Holy One
    13:05 02/09/2011 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

Awww, come on bucko! Don't you want a... balloon? <:]

Comment by Achiuakuna
    12:35 02/09/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

OMG I know that movie!!! It was so disgusting. Especially to the kids whom the movie was intended for.

09:28 12/09/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

Reminds me of the movie The Thing, not sure if thats right but...... clowns...shiver

15:54 29/04/2012 # ! Neutral (0)

Good thing I wear Showa-era clothing.
    Jackets, biker gloves, undershirts, jeans, and rubber shoes.
    On and off the motorbike.

06:46 02/09/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

lol, we are more than i though XD

06:15 02/09/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

Glad to see I'm not the only one scared by that movie.

Comment by Gitami
    16:02 03/09/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

You need to join Ronald's Japanese branch, that will fix you.

Everyone LA LA RU!

Comment by kazaza2
    04:34 02/09/2011 # ! Good (+0.7)

Who wears pointy shoes anymore? Is that some kind of 50s retro look?

Crucifixes in Japan I can see women not liking because less than 1% of the population is Christian so it would make you look like a Goth manga poser .

Narcissistic Clothing? LOL! If you walk around like some Bishi pretty boy you better have the looks and money to back it up!

05:06 02/09/2011 # ! Good (+0.8)

The funny thing is black beaded crucifix necklaces are VERY popular in the female fashion since the last years, special in the gal one...

Comment by Surrender Monkey
    05:25 02/09/2011 # ! Good (+0.6)

The way you describe them they almost sound like rosary beads worn around the neck. Maybe a holdover from Mari Mite? Girls get a lot more fashion leeway than the guys do. Don't really know why, but we do.

10:53 02/09/2011 # ! Good (+0.6)

The way you described it... now it all makes sense! The fashion thing is just an excuse, them girls are actually lesbians. :3

Comment by Myballz
    13:59 02/09/2011 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

Sorry, Lady's but I don't like to wear any other color if you think Pink should be the color I don't want to wear it.

12:40 02/09/2011 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

@12:17 Your large pointy shoe comment made me think of Vincent Valentine.

18:37 02/09/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

But it's cool to be a pastor!

12:17 02/09/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

Pointy shoes are really popular with Japanese men. It makes their small feet look bigger. They're seriously long pointy pixy shoes though, not just a small point. Think eighties Goth pointy shoes.

05:50 03/09/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

Vincent Valentine is hot but he looked hotter as a turk when he wasn't wearing all black, wasn't sloppy, and didn't have pointy shoes.

Comment by gyakusouhime
    00:28 03/09/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

@ Anon 12:17

They made me think of "My Cousin Vinny"! Lol!

"A couple of yoots"!

06:04 02/09/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

That's probably the reason it just isn't cool for guys to wear crosses. It falls under "women's clothing."

If a guy is wearing a cross, he might as well wear a habit and carry a yoyo.

Comment by daslasher
    07:26 03/09/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

well i dress all in black with my T-shirt tucked in because i also wear a buttoned shirt (opened) with dickies pants and a gothic sytle cross necklace (even though im atheist, it just looks awesome)with a fedora style hat :3 and thats my style if i could show you a picture i would

02:08 03/09/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

I'm a hipster, and some of my buddies actually wear pointy shoes. They don't have any trouble with women though.

03:01 04/09/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

Back in the old days pointy mens shoes were known as "Puerto Rican fence climbers" for obvious reasons. (the point fits neatly into a chain link fence)!

07:42 02/09/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

the drug dealers in the back alley do.

Comment by Uncommon0taku
    11:36 02/09/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

@kazaza,... uhmmm actually I have a couple pairs of pumps that are pointy,... they're 4.5 inch heels btw.

Comment by sweetdart
    00:30 03/09/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

Do they match your cocktail dresses?

04:37 02/09/2011 # ! Good (+0.6)

This girls are right.

Look at steve jobs. He tucked his shirt in and now he has cancer.

05:01 02/09/2011 # ! Quality (+1.0)

That's just Gods way of telling him he was too successful and making too much money.
    Those billions ain't worth shit on the other side!

Comment by stilettogirl
    05:13 02/09/2011 # ! Good (+0.4)

Just keep a couple of pennies to pay Charon the ferryman to get across the river Styx.

00:07 03/09/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

@ Anon 11:09

Still trying to figure out how a really bad science fiction writer concocts an idea to start a new religion whose whole purpose is to make him and his family wealthy beyond their wildest dreams. Then manages to get enough addled celebrities to pay huge sums to actualy pull it off!
    His estate and his family make Bernie Madoff look like an amateur.

11:09 02/09/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

Cmon, don't get all sloppy with your theology/mythology now! You pay Charon to cross the river Styx to get into Greek afterlife, not the Christian afterlife!

All that money actually DOES count... if you are a Scientologist! You actually pay to level up in that religion.

Comment by Holy One
    12:13 02/09/2011 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

No, God's pissed at him for the apple.

10:24 02/09/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

No, that's Gods way of trying to get an iPhone 5 before anybody else.

Comment by Metalloid
    04:10 02/09/2011 # ! Good (+0.4)

Tucking in your shirt is a sign of formality. I guess Japanese women enjoy the more trashy look.

Comment by Reichi
    04:22 02/09/2011 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

I think this might have been more in a casual, every day setting. A tucked in T-shirt isn't exactly flattering.

11:04 02/09/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

It was...

...in the 80s and early 90s!

04:22 02/09/2011 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

*Sees the crappy boy bands, douchebag celebrities and untalented hip-hoppers on TV which women nowadays are crazy on..

Damn straight, dude.

By all means, tell us what we as women are crazy about. This should be good.

16:27 02/09/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

@11:06 I was talking about the celebrities that Vic seems so versed on but thanks for that interesting list. xD

11:43 03/09/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

Oh I wouldn't dream of telling what women (or anyone for that matter) like or don't like in men fashion.
    I am quite confident in saying they can't tell it either.

That sort of surveys are typically the result of persons who, when asked what they consider a faux pas, imagined a bunch of people they've seen in their life and found their style was terrible. Then they proceed on describing what these terribly styled persons looked like.
    Unfortunately, it is not the separate items described that made the style terrible. It was the style and that person, as a whole, that rendered terrible. Exactly the same thing worn by someone awesome would be awesome.
    Now, admittedly, pathethic and awesome persons have a tendency to choose different styles, so, these surveys would still have some distinct differences when asked what is terrible and what is awesome.

*Some* differences. As in, a few. On the whole.

11:06 02/09/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

Big dicks? Tons of money? Bad boy appeal? Octopi tentacle?

It depends, what kind of woman are we talking about?

That would be sloppy.

Comment by Yoshii-kun
    04:13 02/09/2011 # ! Good (+0.4)

It seems the recommended fashion is to not wear anything at all.

And lol on Jobs reference.
    I'll admit he looks way better in that pic than now :/

07:57 02/09/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

No, Jobs looks like a giant nerd in that pic. Which he is. And that's the point. Other nerds don't want to see him in Armani.

10:58 02/09/2011 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

Jobs will still look like a giant nerd in Armani, doesn't make him any less cool in either outfit.

11:03 02/09/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

Well, only nerds would reference Steve Jobs to counterpoint fashion sense. No one in their right mind would consider Steve Jobs to be fashionable.

To be completely honest, girls will hook up with anything with a fat wallet. Mark Zuckerberg, Steve Jobs, Steve Allen, Bill Gates, basically any dork pulling 6+ figures in Silicon Valley would be able to get any girl they wanted. Let's not even get into the old sweaty men of the oil industry.

Comment by VillainousHanacha
    05:15 02/09/2011 # ! Good (+0.4)

For #1 I do not understand the circumstances this woman is talking about.

If we are talking about a normal T-shirt, short sleeve or long sleeve, in a casual situation than I would agree with her. Only if you are really thin does it even begin to look good, and even if you are thin I still don't think it looks good. If we are just talking about T-shirts in a casual situation, then I would agree to not tuck.

However, if you are wearing a button-down shirt and a blazer, whether it be a full suit or just with jeans, I would say that tucked is better. If you are in a formal situation, with a full suit or tux, tucking your shirt is practically a requirement so there is little argument there. But even if you are just wearing Jeans with the shirt/blazer, I'd still say tucking looks better in this situation. It's a clean and classic look that's very comfortable and reliable in my opinion.

Really, tucking or not I think comes down to whether or not you are wearing a blazer or a similar jacket. When you're wearing a tucked in shirt with no jacket, it "splits" the image of the body, making you look oddly stunted. With a blazer or something similar however, the top of your body then looks like it's flowing into the bottom, making you look smooth and sleek. Honestly I think that you can even pull of a tucked in T-shirt if you wear a blazer with it (but I personally think the button-down looks better). Other jackets like Hoodies with full-length zippers are different cases however (I think that untucked is always best with these kinds of Hoodies).

But at the end of the day, some people can just pull of certain things increadibly well that others would just look like a mess in. Whether it be their height, build, skin tone, their additude, whatever it may be. Fashion is an always changing thing, and it has or should never be concrete.

08:17 02/09/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

To tuck or not to tuck, depends on the person. If you have a burly dude doing that he looks sharp, if you have a geek do it he looks worse. Nice rant about common sense by the way, tucked in hoodies belong in the 80's.

Comment by Uncommon0taku
    11:44 02/09/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

From the results of the poll, its my opinion that the poll was either biased or those whom were polled were grannies in a que at some market whose fashion senses was out of date.

08:25 02/09/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

I think this list is probably comparable to the "female hobbies no man will tolerate" one. Written by someone looking to fill a magazine page, and probably mostly out of touch with reality. When it comes down to it, different people have different tastes, and some can pull off things better than others.