“What Are Your Criteria for Watching an Anime?”

ochinko-watchers.jpg

Anime fans interrogated as to just what criteria they are prepared to admit applying to which series they watch supply an interesting list, seemingly suggesting that, in their opinions at least, judging a book by its cover is not such a bad idea after all.

The ranking:

1. Character design

2. The seiyuu appearing

3. “As far as possible I try to try watching it first and judge from that”

4. Genre

5. Trailer impressions

6. Impressions of content (the main story)

7. The studio responsible

8. The original work (or production staff in the case of originals)

9. The motif (story elements and subject)

10. “I just try to watch it all if possible”

At the very bottom of the ranking are “whether it has a lot of girls with glasses” and the even more formidable “whether it has lots of loli characters and moe elements.”

Taking into account the famous “Type A / Type B” anime otaku typology, some differences can presumably be expected – in this case it should be noted the survey draws on an audience noted for being Type B, although it is hard to imagine even the most ardent of Type A fans failing to value good character designs and voice acting, whatever the anime.

Comment by Kron
    06:12 10/07/2011 # ! Quality (+1.0)

It would be interesting to have Sankaku Complex redo the same exact poll with the people here and then compare the results, don't you think so? In fact it would be cool to have that done on each poll that they post about.

Comment by Naoli
    13:16 10/07/2011 # ! Quality (+1.0)

I always wonder why don't we have a poll : /

Comment by PikachuEXE
    22:10 10/07/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

Make our own rank Hell Ya!

11:58 11/07/2011 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

If that happens I might actually register.

Comment by tyciol
    06:21 13/07/2011 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

Yeah lots of forums have polls surely we could do that. I would vote 10, I'm an anime slut who wants it all.

06:20 12/07/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

exactly why i haven't registered.

13:23 10/07/2011 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

I'm afraid that the majority of sankaku account users would be more type b while the anons would balance that out being the significant type a anime fans so the polls would probably look pretty similar to the jap otaku ones, unless anons are able to vote, which I'm guessing by recent "updates" that would be a no.

nonetheless it would be interesting. but I'm guessing it would be something like why would they care for the opinions of hairy barbarian foreigners anyway.

Comment by Chen-04
    01:59 18/09/2013 # ! Neutral (0)

If I'm any indicator, we're all Type C.

It's the Type that pirates anime from tha intawebz first and thus just watches anything that peeks one's interest. We also do not particularly dislike any anime, because we move on quicker and don't waste time on stuff we don't like enough. We also don't think we need any criteria for liking/disliking anime and just go with our feelings.

16:13 12/07/2011 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

I agree. I'm getting sick of just reading about polls. It's not that hard to do them.

21:41 10/07/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

ok but be sure to add this criteria too.

-Zettai Ryouiki

-pantsu

-boobs

22:14 10/07/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

im sorry but logical fallacys are not allowed unless they are under the rules of god!

Comment by ♥Jacky la Mort♥
    06:22 10/07/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

Heavyly agree. Besides, story is only rank 6? Modern anime "fans" disappoint me more every single day.

Comment by Wallace Hunter
    15:25 10/07/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

It isn't much of a stretch to apply this to the modern Japanese anime fan.

Comment by Hayate
    06:24 10/07/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

agreed on that one,
    i've always thinking will Madoka shows up on the poll if we're the one voting...

Comment by ♥Jacky la Mort♥
    06:30 10/07/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

Since roughly 90% of the people here give ratsass about story, I doubt that Madoka would appear here.

08:33 10/07/2011 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

The reason they like Madoka is because they don't really give a rat's ass about story.. they just like something that feels like it's trying.

21:27 11/07/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

Madoka had a story? I thought it was about lolis being tortured lol :)

Comment by SunnyJ
    11:56 10/07/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

Cept for the fact that Madoka actually had a story that was built up instead of having 8 slice of life episodes and shoving a plot & story in at the end...

Comment by Yourtime
    06:32 10/07/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

agree, would like have a feature built in, where we can vote for a ranking.

Comment by Holy One
    06:33 10/07/2011 # ! Quality (+1.0)

The most important part to me is the premise of the story; what's it about. Hopefully not a moeblob + fanservice garbage without plot/any meaning.

Character design is bonus, but it never affects my decision whether to follow an anime or not.

My anime habit:

1. Interesting premise, start watching.

2. If it doesn't feel right, just move on. Simple as that.

Comment by Froob McNoob
    06:42 10/07/2011 # ! Quality (+1.0)

Amen, fellow Incubator.

Comment by Andices
    01:08 11/07/2011 # ! Quality (+0.8)

Amen, Kyubey Lover no.3

Comment by Darkrockslizer
    22:24 10/07/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

For me it's in this order:

1. Impressions of content (Interesting premise is all that it usually takes.)

2. The studio responsible (As much importance as director/cast for a movie)

3. The original work (if anime is based on a good scenario it has better chances of being good itself.)

4. Trailer impressions (I sometimes watch clips on Youtube before giving anime a try.)

5. “As far as possible I try to try watching it first and judge from that” (usually the first 2-3 episodes.)

7. Character design (fugly is a drawback.)

6. The motif

8. Genre

9. “I just try to watch it all if possible” (I also have other things to do.)

I have never understood why is this so important for Japanese...)

13:29 27/07/2011 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

"10. The seiyuu appearing (When I watch an anime I expect to see imaginary characters and associate their voices to them.

I have never understood why is this so important for Japanese...)"

I think its because they are listening and comprehending what is being said, instead of reading subs. There's nothing worse than a horrible dub job, that's the best way i can relate to it as a filthy barbarian anyway.

17:11 10/07/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

I concur a 100% on this.

Comment by vanchrian
    18:27 10/07/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

My personal criteria is

1. Is the OP sung by JAM Project?

2. If no, then look up the premise.

Comment by Shippoyasha
    18:36 10/07/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

Speaking of premise of the story, I think it's interesting to note that a certain motif of an anime could belong to the manga creator, novelist or the director. Sometimes they go all over the place including the writer.

I like to get a bit artsy-fartsy regarding how I choose anime. Mostly in that I look at the trailers and see how fun it looks like, then I look into the novelist/manga material then the most important aspect, which is the director and writers. I guess it's similar to how some people follow movie projects not only on interest alone, but the creative heads.

nice avatar hypocrite.

Comment by Actar
    06:08 10/07/2011 # ! Quality (+1.0)

Unlike many, I don’t usually pick shows based on things like animation studio, original source, voice actors, animation style, etc… For me, I pick shows simply based on whether or not the show entertains me in one way or another. Be it through the comedy, character interactions, plot or premise.

Thus, I can only pre-pick my shows to a certain extent. Most of the time, I’ll avoid looking at the manga as I don’t want my experience with the Anime to be spoiled. Instead, I’ll only read the little story summary blurb that is available every season. This way, I roughly know what to keep an eye out for.

However, when it comes down to it, I will give each and every show a chance to hook me in about 2 – 3 episodes. Usually, the best shows will do so within the very first episode. The reason I do this it that it is very hard to predict how a show will be with just a story summary. A show that seems boring on paper can turnout to be a hidden gem. Case in point? This season’s Level E and shows like Eden of the East and Ga-Rei Zero that weren’t even in my sights till I gave them a watch...a nd I’m sure Madoka fared the same for someone as well.

Another reason I don’t discriminate based on things like art style is because there are many a show that have questionable art styles but are simply brilliant, like Mitsudomoe’s beaver teeth and Kaiji’s heaven piercing nose and chin.

I can understand how some people can get turned off by such things, but I’m not one of them as I don’t let art style affect my enjoyment of a show. The same goes for voice actors, animation studio, etc… These factors don’t always determine whether an Anime will appeal to me or not. For instance, an animation studio that I like can produce a show with a plot that I find tedious and boring and my favorite voice actress can voice an annoying character that I despise.

Comment by demonhaseo
    07:31 10/07/2011 # ! Quality (+1.0)

For me, there are three big factors that get me into an anime.

1 - is the plot, like you if it doesn't catch me within the first 3 episodes I can't enjoy it.

2 - call me shallow but I do have a thing for art style, there are some anime's to break this one (shin-chan for example) but most of the time If the art isn't to my appeal I just can't get into it. But some again break this one if they have a really good story with decent art, or if they're just god damn hillarious

3 - Tsundere's, I have a weak spot for Tsundere's ^^' so if the plot is good and the main female is a Tsundere I tend to get drawn into the anime.

07:02 10/07/2011 # ! Good (+0.6)

Everything you posted was covered under:

3. “As far as possible I try to try watching it first and judge from that”

07:45 10/07/2011 # ! Good (+0.5)

well ill watch anything that comes out of Kyoani, cause you know they always make good anime.

Comment by HouseLife
    08:51 10/07/2011 # ! Good (+0.4)

You didn't deserve a down vote for that. They DO always make good anime. Their shows are in fact 'good.' Whether it's fantastic is up to the watcher, like Haruhi in my case, but by the sheer level of quality that comes out of their animations, it's good by default no matter what anyone has to say as far as I'm concerned. Once they can animate better than them, they can complain. But then, they'd become a whiny bitch, so nobody would listen anyway.

Comment by Darkrockslizer
    14:48 10/07/2011 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

psst... ∞8...

15:05 10/07/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

Unlike you and many, and very ironically, I try not to judge shows and simply watch whatever I can get my hands on. It's a very tedious task, but I like simply mass consuming anime itself. In my opinion, there is no point judging something this trivial. The fact is, as long as an anime's there, there's got to be at least one simpleton who will like it...
    As for watching an anime because of the graphic aspect, as well as 'presentation' and audio, that is quite normal. As humans, we tend to enjoy certain things, and will shift towards those things even subconsciously. To be honest, I really don't think these lists should exist. All it does is give a presentation on what things are "in". It should, in no way, affect a decision about the said topic afterward. If it did, and yes I'm directing at YOU the reader, then please re-evaluate the above list.

15:51 10/07/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

This is the true criteria for watching anime. If you love it and some people don't, screw them and just watch it. You sir made my day. Elitist fags who think they have better taste in anime can suck my dick. I'll go on my own way.

Comment by Bob
    07:35 10/07/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

For me its just wether I like it or not thats all there is

06:55 10/07/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

you don't want your anime to be spoiled by the manga....
    isn't it the other way around. to each his own, but why would you choose an anime over the manga...that's just wrong.

Comment by Megidola
    07:02 10/07/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

The ultimate criterion everyone uses for watching a series is whether or not it entertains them.

Things like the original source, premise, genre, animation studio, trailer, and so on simply serve as useful indicators to judge how entertaining a particular series will be.

And one will be in an even better position to judge after watching the first episode of a series.

Though of course, there will always be some series that turn out to be let-downs, and others pleasant surprises.

Comment by Wisteria Berlitz
    12:12 10/07/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

You remind me of my History Teacher...
    (compliment)

Comment by Anonymous RAW GM
    16:43 10/07/2011 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

Actar reminds me of my boss.
    (also a compliment)

Comment by Andices
    01:10 11/07/2011 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

You remind me of RAW GM.
    (not so complimentary)

Comment by Riiku
    14:34 10/07/2011 # ! Neutral (-0.2)

But face it, if you watch a show because of boobs and cute lolis - you're a loser.

Comment by Pyrus
    15:36 10/07/2011 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

What's wrong with boobs & cute lolis? People aren't always looking for intellectual stimulation when watching anime: Sometimes it's the visual gags; sometimes it's the action scenes; sometimes it's the animation itself. People shouldn't be considered losers if they like a pretty face or a sexy body or body parts enough to watch a particular show just to see something they like looking at. It's the reason stuff like that is often used in shows: People like seeing it! So if that's what entertains a person enough to make them watch a show, that's whats gonna be in the show.

07:06 10/07/2011 # ! Drivel (-1.0)

"Unlike many..."

Fucking hipster.

06:50 10/07/2011 # ! Good (+0.8)

I watch whatever makes me smile.

Comment by John Hayabusa
    09:50 10/07/2011 # ! Good (+0.6)

I watch whatever that has a good plot and yuri/moe/ecchi/loli(s) in it.

Comment by Otame
    10:14 10/07/2011 # ! Good (+0.6)

/watch for the plot

Comment by The REAL Lamberto
    10:00 10/07/2011 # ! Good (+0.3)

I watch whatever makes me fap.

Comment by lkjhyrfg
    12:41 10/07/2011 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

epic lol coment---XD!!!!!!!!!

literally LMFAO !!!!!!

Comment by Miroku74
    19:34 10/07/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

Hey, at least the *answer* was original.

11:09 10/07/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

You're probably one of the most pathetic shit in this pile of stinking turd.

Comment by Pyrus

People may not have liked what you've posted, but at least you were probably more honest than they were!