Top 25 Shockingly Serious Anime

yandere-kotonoha-by-migu

Fans of more serious and melancholic anime supply a ranking of the most emotionally intense (if not outright depressing) anime they have watched.

For those wondering about what merits the “serious” qualification: “anime with depressing (serious) developments which made an intense impression on you.”

The ranking:

21. Madlax

22. Kara no Kyoukai

23. Rozen Maiden

24. H2O – Footprints in the Sand

25. Full Metal Panic

Comment by AmusementEngineer
    12:24 06/07/2011 # ! Quality (+1.0)

Still haven't experienced anything close to Texhnolyze's massive scale of bleakness. Like a cold storm swept everything away, left nothing but despair, and layers and layers of atrophied humanity. That's was not shocking. That's was a big flipping fuck throughout the beginning to the end.
    Animated film, that Grave of Fireflies did carved a big fucking hole into my brain since ages, and still hasn't left yet.

09:39 17/11/2014 # ! Neutral (0)

At the very least Bokurano is up there

12:30 16/07/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

Watch Hadashi no Gen (Barefoot Gen). It makes Grave of the Fireflies look like My Little Pony.

Comment by Kiljoy616
    04:45 05/09/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

Will have to check it out because Grave of the Fireflies was depressing perfection.

Comment by toyNN
    04:27 07/07/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

Oh yeah on Texhonolyze but I don't think it was "Shockingly" serious - it seemed from the cover art and right from the start it was all about bleak.

Comment by Yamato
    08:08 09/07/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

I agree (though, it's still awesome that Texhnolyze managed to get a mention around here). This list mainly seems to be composed of anime that start out fairly light-hearted, or give a light-hearted impression from its promotional images and such, and then just hits you hard. Though, some of them aren't too shocking, but I guess it's a case-by-case basis, really. For instance, I've seen a lot of people who apparently knew what direction Madoka Magica was headed in because they were already familiar with Gen Urobuchi's work, and with School Days, while there's little doubt that they wouldn't have banked on the infamous bad endings from the game, that's not to say there weren't some people who were expecting otherwise (or even a few people who saw the anime without being familiar with the game in the first place)... actually, the game itself most definitely qualifies as shock value.

04:25 07/07/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

Strangely enough Tehxnolyze is the only anime that ever made me cry more than just a few tears (save for one episode of Gintama). After the end, I cried for several minutes.I agreed with his choice, but it still made me cry.

Comment by Riiku
    23:23 06/07/2011 # ! Neutral (-0.2)

I have never felt huge pity for the boy in Grave of Fireflies. He was offered a work for food. His sister could work too. Instead he ran away, taken his sister with him, so he technically killed her. Because running away won't bring you food. It was a fucking war, and he talked of some "childhood memories". Douche.

01:11 07/07/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

THE REAL MONSTER IS JOHAN'S MOTHER BECAUSE SHE LET GO OF NINA'S HAND. SHE IS STILL ALIVE.

IN THE END, IT WAS A RANDOM DRUNK GUY WHO SHOT JOHAN, NOT TENMA.

JOHAN PRETENDED TO BE ANNA/NINA WHEN HE WAS WITH JAN SUK AT THE BAR.

NINA FORTNER/ ANNA LIEBERT SHOT JOHAN WHEN THEY WERE KIDS.

ROBERTO DIDN'T DIE WHEN TENMA SHOT HIM IN THE LIBRARY.

00:37 22/01/2012 # ! Neutral (0)

it has "that" to do with tha fireflies.

like in hotarubi having to much pinkie something from the simon didnt say anything anymore for example.

oh wait i didnt watch the anime so i stfu better.

01:57 07/07/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

this has WHAT to do with grave of the fireflies?

Comment by Kiljoy616
    05:01 05/09/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

I guess you missed the point that they where children. I guess you have to be an adult to understand how different children think and react to reality. Most adults and society in the movie cares little about the children or what is happening to them. I don't remember the part about work but I do remember that he finally did get food but she is a little child and lack of normal food does her in even though he had food. Since his family for the most part is all dead and he is still a young man only, he just gives up.

Easy to criticize when you never been out of your moms basement a totally different thing if you actually have worked with children and how different they think to adults. The movie to me was dead on how children are the really the worst off when it comes to wars. Adults may die but they have it way easier than the children do.

Comment by Minoru
    10:08 06/07/2011 # ! Good (+0.4)

I'll take a note on this list and check it out.

Comment by Carrot_Glace
    10:26 06/07/2011 # ! Good (+0.3)

I had seen: 3. Higurashi no Naku Koro ni 4. Neon Genesis Evangelion 5. Bokurano 7. Code Geass 8. Elfen Lied
    16. Saikano 17. Gosick 18. ef 19. Black Lagoon
    20. Phantom 24. H2O – Footprints in the Sand 25. Full Metal Panic

Rozen Maiden was dropped after two eps.

Comment by SaltyPenguin
    11:05 06/07/2011 # ! Quality (+0.9)

No desu for you!

Comment by Hayate
    11:41 06/07/2011 # ! Quality (+1.0)

well said desu...

12:46 06/07/2011 # ! Neutral (+0.4)

nanodesu > desu

15:05 06/07/2011 # ! Drivel (-1.0)

nadodesuyo>nanodesu<desu

Comment by Carrot_Glace
    03:15 07/07/2011 # ! Neutral (-0.2)

Call me when you stop babbling, OK?

05:00 10/07/2011 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

it need moar desu.

13:06 07/07/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

14:37 09/07/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

desu desu desu desu desu desu desu desu desu desu desu desu desu desu desu desu desu desu desu desu desu desu desu desu desu desu desu desu desu desu desu desu desu desu desu desu desu desu desu desu desu desu desu desu desu desu desu desu desu desu desu desu desu desu desu desu desu desu desu desu desu desu desu desu desu desu desu desu desu desu desu desu desu desu desu desu desu desu desu desu desu desu desu desu desu desu desu desu desu desu desu desu desu desu desu desu desu desu desu desu desu desu desu desu desu desu desu desu desu desu desu desu desu desu desu desu desu desu desu desu desu desu desu desu desu desu desu desu desu desu desu desu desu desu desu desu desu desu desu desu desu desu desu desu desu desu desu desu desu desu desu desu desu desu desu desu desu desu desu desu desu desu desu desu desu desu desu desu desu desu desu desu desu desu desu desu desu desu desu desu desu desu desu desu desu desu desu desu desu desu desu desu desu desu desu desu desu desu desu desu desu desu desu desu desu desu desu desu desu desu desu desu desu desu desu desu desu desu desu desu desu desu desu desu desu desu desu desu desu desu desu desu desu desu desu desu desu desu desu desu desu desu desu desu desu desu desu desu desu desu desu desu desu desu desu desu desu desu desu desu desu desu desu desu desu desu desu desu desu desu desu desu desu desu desu desu desu desu desu desu desu desu desu desu desu desu desu desu desu desu desu desu desu desu desu desu desu desu desu desu desu desu desu desu desu desu desu desu desu desu desu desu desu desu desu desu desu desu desu desu desu desu desu desu desu desu desu desu desu desu desu desu desu desu desu desu desu desu desu desu desu desu desu desu desu desu desu desu desu desu desu desu desu desu desu desu desu desu desu desu desu desu desu desu desu desu desu desu desu desu desu desu desu desu desu desu desu desu desu desu desu desu desu desu desu desu desu desu desu desu desu desu desu desu desu desu desu

20:00 06/07/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

You're still a rookie, Carrot! This Anon saw and finished the top 14 animes!

Comment by Carrot_Glace
    03:11 07/07/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

Where is Alien Nine?
    Where is Shadow Star Narutaru?
    Where is Paranoia Agent?
    Where is Monster?
    Where is Now and Then, Here and There?

I saw these too

22:40 11/07/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

dont forget chrno crusade

Comment by Arcadia Escaflowne
    07:50 07/07/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

Alien Nine didn't come of as totally serious to me unlike most of the other shows in this list which left we going like "what the hell just happened here?"

Especially Saikano and Madoka Magica

Got you owned, i saw them all except infinite ryvius wich i dropped after 3 or 4 eps, and i seriously dont know what the hell is rozen maiden doing in that list, and how in tarnation monster is NOT in the list, and NOTHING beats Monster IMO.

Comment by SunnyJ
    13:55 06/07/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

Question... what about ef was "shockingly serious"?

02:56 07/07/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

Well, the visual novel was more serious than the anime, I can agree, but for a "mere romance anime" it was pretty deep, with girls (and boys, too) having more or less real problems instead of just being there.

Comment by SunnyJ
    14:11 07/07/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

True, it was a well done serious anime. I really enjoyed it and have posted other places that it is an anime that has been well under played. However, I never felt the "shockingly serious" aspect of it.. mainly in regards to the shockingly part... It was serious from pretty much the get go... Hell, even the art was serious...

What about it wasn't serious? There was pretty much not a single episode where SOMETHING dramatic was happening. Especially season 2... dem pills...

10:53 06/07/2011 # ! Neutral (+0.3)

Gawd. Not another of these lists where the survey respondents are noobs.

Where is Alien Nine?
    Where is Shadow Star Narutaru?
    Where is Paranoia Agent?
    Where is Monster?
    Where is Now and Then, Here and There?

Where is-- you know what? Nobody's gonna care anyways. It's their loss for not seeing these titles.

Madoka was good but it was nowhere near the above mentioned titles. Also, seeing Madoka almost everywhere is making me think its fans are just as retarded as narutards are.

Comment by SunnyJ
    12:01 06/07/2011 # ! Quality (+0.8)

Lets face it, there are always going to be anime's people haven't seen. Also, there are animes that people will just look at the art/first episode/page/genre and just decide not to watch because it isn't what interests them (IE. One Piece, Madoka, Paranoia Agent).

Also, anime is growing. More people are enjoying it but are much less exposed to anime. A few animes on your list aren't all that popular so it stands to realize they wouldn't have seen them if they've only been watching anime for a few years... also, granted this may not apply to 2ch, but most Japanese people don't have a lot of time to watch a backlog of anime... especially when 20+ series come out a season.

Now as many people have pointed out, most of these animes go from being normal animes to "wtf just happened"... I believe that is more what the list is going for (which is why I don't think Eva was suddenly wtf... but yet, the ending was wtf in a different way, like bang my head against a wall way).

I agree these lists are silly, everyone is going to have a different opinion. There are a lot of great animes out there, theres a lot of crap anime out there too (more crap than good likely) but just calling fans of an anime retarded is silly because the top of the list isn't what you want. In that respect your just as "retarded" as the people who made the list if you believe your opinion is more important than anothers...

21:36 06/07/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

I can't speak to this list in particular since serious anime is not my cup of tea. but the guy does have a point, pretty much every single one of these lists has a concentrated focus on anime made within the last decade. does that mean that "The best/most ___________ anime of all time" was barely made a few years ago? very unlikely. in fact, among people who have been watching anime for decades you'll get a pretty unanimous opinion that all these rankings have a rather myopic scope

17:33 06/07/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

good point. I just realized my mistake.

It's not because of the list is not what I want, and it certainly is not because I believe my opinion is more important than others. But rather...

I expected "Fans of more serious and melancholic anime" (as stated in the article) have seen their fair share of quality anime, not just the popular ones.

I guess I expected too much :|

14:08 06/07/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

@ SunnyJ

good point. I just realized my mistake.

I guess I expected too much :/

Comment by Imyou
    14:47 06/07/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

Well said. I started watching in the mid 90s and I can see where some of them are coming from, but... anime from 10 years ago isn't as relevant now as it was then, even if it was great... imagine that. I don't want to be like that, because it's like being the guy who argues all the good music was from 40 years ago. Eventually it just makes the person look "old" and closes their mind to what else is out there.

Besides... who's going to make a list for "____ anime... OF ALL TIME?" Who would even get most of it?

Comment by SunnyJ
    00:10 07/07/2011 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

You realize, if that was done no one would really be happy except for those who liked the first few animes in the list.. =/

The best part of the lists is, if the list pertains to what you like, use it to find other anime's you haven't watched that may interest you. For instance out of the top 5 I haven't seen 1 of them... Bokurano, I guess I should check it out to see if it really is suddenly serious... plus looking at the comments Monster should be something worth checking out as well...

IN THE END, IT WAS A RANDOM DRUNK GUY WHO SHOT JOHAN, NOT TENMA.

JOHAN PRETENDED TO BE ANNA/NINA WHEN HE WAS WITH JAN SUK AT THE BAR.

NINA FORTNER/ ANNA LIEBERT SHOT JOHAN WHEN THEY WERE KIDS.

12:40 06/07/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

good point. I just realized my mistake.

I guess I expected too much :/

Comment by Wisteria Berlitz
    16:46 06/07/2011 # ! Neutral (-0.2)

Some people watch only for ecchi,artwork,moe or famous ones.When I introduced Monster to my friend,he was like "The artwork sucks,go watch Naruto"

16:51 06/07/2011 # ! Quality (+1.0)

Kill him. Kill him now. ;(

18:12 06/07/2011 # ! Good (+0.7)

Fucking Narutofanboy, burn them with fire.

20:54 06/07/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

Some of them had killed themselves already.

22:15 06/07/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

Ergo Proxy nada?????

12:25 06/07/2011 # ! Neutral (+0.4)

Now and Then, Here and There... that one wins it. Madoka wasn't nearly as shocking, even though it prided itself in throwing as much shock value at the viewers as possible.

The only reason it's on every list is cause people are still going "Holy crap! That girl just got eaten! This is amazing!"

Comment by kanbanmusume
    00:01 07/07/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

I was depressed for a week after watching that.
    Poor Sarah! I openly wept for her.I wanted to rip Hamdo to shreds! Madoka was good but nothing like Now and Then, Here and There.

Comment by Shippoyasha
    16:59 06/07/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

Speaking of shocking violence and serious matters, stuff like Rainbow and Shigurui should count as well. Shigurui was one of the few anime that made me feel dizzy because of how grotesque it was.

Also agreed with Alien Nine and NTHT. Alien Nine is such a creepy allusion towards puberty that is deeply shocking in some levels.

21:00 06/07/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

Alien Nine is just so unsettling, the anime just scratches the surface of it. Shocking? Totally. Schoolgirl slice-of-life goes bad, just as bad as Madoka.

Comment by DmonHiro
    17:13 06/07/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

You missed the point. This list is about show we WEREN'T expecting to be so serious. We know Rainbow and Shiki were very serious from the first time we read the description.

02:35 07/07/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

Madoka wasn't shocking at all if you weren't actively deluding yourself. It should have been obvious, just like with Bokurano, that there was something very disturbing about the show and that you were going to regret not preparing yourself. I mean, Mami was practically wearing a neon sign that said "I'm going to die in 10.. 9.."

I think people just don't know what "shock" means. That, and if they consider Madoka serious, they really should get out more often. It's pretty entertaining, but has virtually no real depth. It's just another melodramatic story about an evil creature emotionally torturing little kids.. it's just dressed up with mahou shoujo elements to make it popular.

07:15 07/07/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

Mahou Shoujo elements to make it popular? That right there is an oxymoron.

One of it's most initially off putting factors is that it appears to be a Mahou Shoujo anime, though it's really just that in name only.

I think the reason those elements were thrown in there was cause it's the last kind of anime people would expect to be dark and gritty and horrific and shocking.

Comment by Phrantick
    11:22 06/07/2011 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

Seriously. People are too addicted to Madoka.

Comment by SunnyJ
    12:53 06/07/2011 # ! Good (+0.6)

Whats wrong with people enjoying an anime they like?

18:43 06/07/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

Everything when they act like narutards :)

12:25 06/07/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

seriously tell me about it. XD
    it's like when they watch it they get brainwashed by the characters to like worship it or something :P

Comment by Abel Liegod
    11:03 06/07/2011 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

Evangelion should be in first
    Angels are not laughing matter

Comment by cats2
    14:57 06/07/2011 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

Monster doesn't really have anything "shocking" even though it's shocking how AMAZING the show is.

Narutaru (shadow star) only had the girl kicking the test tube filled with caterpillars into the girls cunt, and said girls revenge with her dragon finger bang the girl that injects her with bugs and eventually split her in two.

Paranoia agent was just a mystery, and it was all "dream sequence" fake crap anyways. Not to mention that infuriating ending...

Can go on, but I can argue with your list just as much as I could bitch and moan about this top 25, heh.

KINDERHEIM'S EXPERIMENT WAS ACTUALLY A GOOD EXPERIMENT THAT FOCUSES ON LOVE. THE PERSON RESPONSIBLE, MIHAIL PEDROV, DIED BECAUSE JOHAN KILLED HIM.

TENMA PERFORMED AN OPERATION AGAIN ON JOHAN TO GET THE BULLET FROM HIS HEAD. AFTERWARDS, JOHAN ESCAPED FROM THE HOSPITAL AGAIN.

GRIMMER CAME FROM KINDERHEIM. HE DIED.

IT WASN'T REALLY JOHAN THAT WAS TAKEN TO THE ROSE MANSION, BUT IT WAS ANNA/NINA. JOHAN JUST THOUGHT IT WAS HIM BECAUSE ANNA TOLD HIM EVERYTHING AFTER SHE GOT HOME.

Comment by cats2
    10:00 07/07/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

Kinderheim is your reasoning? Seriously? Yeah but no....

20:27 06/07/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

>Where is Alien Nine

seriously
    the ending was ok, until i watched that scene IN THE GODDAMN CREDITS
    and no more episodes afterwards
    ALL MY RAGE

Comment by RedRat
    16:29 14/07/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

Where is Kimi Ga Nozomu Eien?!

Comment by NeverSleep
    11:40 06/07/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

The only thing in this list that made me nod in approval was Iriya no Sora, UFO no Natsu.

Some of them aren't even "shocking" since it's all written over them "SERIOUS STUFF" like Kara no Kyoukai or Bokurano.

16:03 06/07/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

Damn Right. Iriya no Sora is brilliant and should get more attention.

20:38 06/07/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

Absolutely - it's nice to see it making some sort of ranking. If ever there was a ranking for "best dance scene involving a boy and a top secret stealth anti-gravity telepathy-controlled fighter aircraft", I'm sure it would come out #1.

Comment by Actar
    20:43 06/07/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

It was a great few episodes, but I wished it was a little more conclusive. (^.^;)

Comment by BisayaBoi
    11:52 06/07/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

Shadow Star for sure should be here.

13:27 06/07/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

Shiki should also be there.

13:43 06/07/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

No dice on the shiki! A lame ass ending to that bearded buffalo of a ox equaled to the epic messy ending of the shiki bitch with her wonderful dreams of spreading her disease thru a bigger city to null out what should of been great conclusion!!!
    Seriously~ a dude running of adrenaline for most of a few days gets wacked in his SHOULDER BLADE and he's STUNNED?!!?!?

10:57 06/07/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

It said "shockingly serious". Was Monster shockingly serious? I quite expected it to be serious. Same thing for Paranoia agent.

Comment by Shippoyasha
    17:55 06/07/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

Half of the anime in the list already looked verifiably serious before they started airing though.

11:23 06/07/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

agreed, it's called "shockingly serious because you don't expect it to be serious, i for one did not expect a serious to semi-serious story to come out of a "magical girl" category

only "alien nine" and "narutaru" were unexpectedly serious in your list all the others you could tell are serious about 3 and half a miles away

01:37 07/07/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

Yes. I quite expected Monster to be MORE than serious. I had already read 20th century boys and some other stuff by Urasawa so I knew I was in for some conspiracies and moral dilemma.

02:38 07/07/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

If you didn't think Madoka was serious, especially after the first episode, you're very naive. If you think it's shocking that it was serious you must be new to this "entertainment" thing.

11:25 06/07/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

@ 11:23 06/07/2011 & @ 10:57 06/07/2011

Yes, Of course; Before watching an anime, we look at its genre and brief summary. Monster obviously has been labeled as serious. Even at episode 1, it already made an impression to its viewers that it had a serious atmosphere.

But let me ask you --you, who have completely seen and enjoyed monster--, did you ever expect its seriousness to be of that level. As it progressed, was there never a time when you said to yourself "man! this is more than serious".

But in your case, let me ask you: Did you expect it to be serious because of the labels it had?; because of its brief description?; because of the first few episodes? --Or is it because you've read reviews and comments of people who have seen the anime?

Let me remind you: watching an Anime at it's time of release where nobody knows how it's going to turn out; and watching an anime because of reviews and recommendations, creates different impressions. If you watched it because of the latter, then I'm not surprised you _only_ had that impression of monster.

12:17 06/07/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

sometimes you can just tell for many different reasons, like the art, title, summery, categories, or the first chapter/episode,

i anyways just make opinions on the first few pages of the manga i read, and if something starts out with jokes, i wont think its going to be that "serious", if it starts out with someone being decapitated, than i think its going to be a whole lot darker

but when i'm reading something with "cute-like" art, about a magical middle school girl fighting evil, with a cute little follower, my mind doesn't jump to "it's going to be a blood-bath"

comparing that too berserk, where all the art looks dark, the title isn't exactly pink and fluffy, and it starts off with a guy having sex with a girl, who then turns into a monster -followed by him killing it i not really going to be surprised if later i see people getting raped and murdered

Comment by Homu Improvement
    10:58 06/07/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

I've seen alien nine, I wouldn't consider it better than Madoka. I'm not sure that many people saw it anyway...

Edit: I think I'm gonna re watch Alien nine now... or find the manga for it.

11:36 06/07/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

So which have you seen first? Alien Nine or Madoka?

Did you watch Alien Nine because it was 'RECOMMENDED' AS A 'SIMILAR ANIME' as Madoka in websites?

Comment by Homu Improvement
    11:42 06/07/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

@ anon11:36

Nope watched it a long time ago. I don't know how I stumbled on it. I think I found it while watching another anime on youtube.

12:00 06/07/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

yeah. I believe you :)

14:52 06/07/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

they are not "shockingly"

02:36 07/07/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

Most of them aren't even "serious".

Comment by TheBeast
    14:06 06/07/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

...but, where's pokemon? it was surprisingly deep and i learnid about friendship and teamwork and how good always konkers evul. of course i kid. :]

14:35 06/07/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

Yeah, thank the god the era of Monster shows has been over for a long for years. I'd cry like a little girl imagining if this toplist would've been created 10 years ago...

16:03 06/07/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

I'm sorry but monster was pure shit...

"Look at me! im the Hero of the show! I'll never take the shot to kill the bad guy because that would END MY ANIME! I'm a vicious humanitarian! Lets turn this 12 episode series into 52!" ...Serious my ass. That main character guy was a bitch, what doctor who seeks revenge, pussies out on killing his mark 3 FUCKING times!?!? *rage*

Comment by Renzo
    15:09 06/07/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

I question you now,

What is Alien Nine?
    What is Shadow Star Narutaru?
    What is Paranoia Agent?
    What is Monster?
    What is Now and Then, Here and There?

You said : "Gawd. Not another of these lists where the survey respondents are noobs."

Aren't you one of those that force your idea into other people ?

I think we like our own Anime, and we have our own taste, whether it is mainstream or niche market.

Some love simple, some love the complex one, some love moe, some love GAR, and some don't like at all.

You said : "Also, seeing Madoka almost everywhere is making me think its fans are just as retarded as narutards are."

Then congratulation, you're just the same retarded as them.

Comment by GuroFX
    15:45 06/07/2011 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

I watched all of the titles he mentioned... and 14 of the titles from ranking. I must say that his list tops -almost- everything there in terms of seriousnes. This rankings should be named with "After 2005" or sth. Damn, I feel old.

16:48 06/07/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

I cant say any of those tops infinite ryvius and fafner. Though im quite interested as to why fafner is above ryvius... Also not sure why those arent higher.

17:11 06/07/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

@ Renzo

Instead of questioning me, how about trying to watch the titles I have mentioned. Then you can tell me your opinion.

Renzo said:
    "I think we like our own Anime.... Some love simple, some love the complex one... unrelated rant blah blah blah"

Didn't you read the article, it's about the top 25 shockingly Serious anime, we don't talk about just any good anime; we talk about the titles which can be added to this list.

Renzo said:
    "Are you judging people noobs based on your Anime list that you watch but mostly other people don't watch ?"

Of course. I base it on what I have seen. How on earth will I know if a title is significant to the list if I haven't seen it. But I didn't base it only to my anime list. I based it to what is SIGNIFICANT to the list.

I stand firm to my previous statement that the respondents are noobs. But since you seem to take the term "noob" offensively, I'll just call them novices to anime. Why?

I would understand if somehow the titles I have mentioned didn't make it to the top, just as long as they are on the list. But, the COMPLETE ABSENCE of these titles is rather questionable for a list made by "Fans of more serious and melancholic anime".

Again, the COMPLETE ABSENCE of these titles is an indication that they haven't seen it. If they have seen it, it would make it somewhere on this top 25 list.

They haven't seen it since they are novices to anime. How simple is that.

16:31 06/07/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

"I bet most people here that watch Anime here not even watching your list..( except one like you )"

Haha, I like that you get on this guy for being judgmental and yet you think you know what "most other people have watched".You should try getting of the little anime fandom box you've put yourself into instead of chastising him for making some damn good choices for "serious anime".

13:52 06/07/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

"Now and Then, Here and There" was what I immediately thought of when I saw the title for this list. The first episode starts comical since you have a somewhat incompetent optimist trying to fight off some robots, but he doesn't realize the complete and utter hell he is going to go through for the rest of the series.

13:16 06/07/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

Madoka ain't got shit on Narutaru

Puella Magi Madoka Magica? omg those list are a joke

I agree with you...

Puella Magi Madoka Magica is a BIG JOKE anime

Yeah, you just made me remember Monster, now there was a seriously insane show.

Comment by PhillB

I can't stop thinking, why has many people been unable to get over Madoka? Even I, who watched this in a weak sentimental state didn't feel it was that awesome. Great, yes indeed. But as aforementioned, Madoka fans may reach the narutard level shortly.

Oh, and yes. This list is troll.

12:31 06/07/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

The people who don't understand the Madoka hype are the ones who most likely didn't follow the series as it was airing and research the history and hidden messages in the story. if you watched Madoka after it aired in one sitting, of course you won't get it, the suspense element is gone. The surprise is gone. You probably read spoilers or recommendations that ruined it.

02:58 07/07/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

I think people need to stop treating Madoka like it's more than it is.. it only hurts the show. I watched it while it aired, and intentionally didn't spoil myself. The fan discussions almost universally boiled down to stupidity like this:

"Zomg Mami dies"
    "Zomg I want to kill QB"
    "Zomg I want to glomp Homuhomu"

I was enough to make me cynical about the show, to the point where I had to just watch it and not bother with the comments. Happens all the time, reminded me of the "controversy" with Final Fantasy 7 (and other games).

14:03 06/07/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

The issue here is not about what is best, or what I like isn't popular. It's about how deserving an anime is on top of this categorical survey.

Comment by PhillB
    13:05 06/07/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

I nearly became a Madoka wiseguy during the airing time. I followed closely as I watched the raws two hours after the airing time. I had no spoiler in my way. I know almost everything there's to it. But suddenly I dismissed this anime overnight. I started to watch it by recomendation.

Really, I can't get why there are so many people addicted to Madoka like this. It was good while it lasted, but most of them are starting to creep me out. I didn't reach such a tremendous catharsis for Madoka.

I have nothing against Madoka other than its fans wearing a supernatural hype aura.

13:10 06/07/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

True, there are several animes that watching each episode back to back causes them to lose their shock / cliffhanger properties. For instance Ga-Rei Zero after seeing that first episode many people were probably like.. OMG WTF HAPPENS NEXT... EVERYONES DEAD?!? (and who the hell is that hot girl that just killed them all?). Same with Higurashi when the same thing happens at the end of the arcs...

@PhillB: Now we can argue the qualities of what makes an anime good / bad, but whats really more important is how long is an anime remembered or how recomended is it? TBH I have never heard of Monster... maybe cause I haven't talked with anyone whose seen it? Or maybe because it doesn't stick in their head?

I will join you on Narutotard bashing just because long anime is long and really just a miling anime... but still you need to give it respect as its a house-hold-name when it comes to anime... much like Bleach, DBZ, Salor Moon, Eva, etc... Everyones heard of them. Does popularity make them bad? Or is it because the anime you like isn't as popular?

Also, one thing I wish people would recgonize is that just because it's your favorite anime doesn't mean it's the best... For instance Shakugan no Shana was my favorite anime but I totally never thought of it as the best... not even by a long shot.

12:04 06/07/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

Here's a bigger question

Seriously guys, how many of you here were actually watching Madoka before the fuss was made about that particular episode?

I doubt you were really shocked if you only decided to watch Madoka after the buzz about it.

Madoka suck, i am really getting fed up with it. regarding your list I agree Narutaru was shoking indeed. but Paranoia Agent and Monster, for some reason are rather easy to cope with, but for example in Black Lagoon the part about the Twins really fraked me out, Higurashi has some very hard parts.
    Elfen lied in it's moment was very shoking too as well as evangelion. but i had to agree some animes on that list are rather lame, Bokurano and Modaka would be the worst.

MONSTER should be no.1

12:37 06/07/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

no, it shouldn't. the key word was "shockingly"

Monster is clearly serious from the get go.

Comment by Actar
    20:45 06/07/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

Yup, pretty much why I agree it shouldn't be on the list.