Gust: “Rorona is a Loli as We Couldn’t Stand Making Her 30+”

lolirorona

Gust, the developers of the Atelier moe-RPG series, have stated that their mysterious decision to turn the protagonist of the original Kishida Mel designed game into a loli in the upcoming Atelier Meruru was because they could not bear the prospect of having her appear in her thirties…

Their comments in a recent interview:

Who came up with the idea of Rorona ending up like that? Was there opposition?

All the development team were united in thinking “we don’t want to see Rorona in her thirties.” So, we were all in agreement there.

Sorry, saying anything more will be a personal attack so I’ll have to leave it at “no comment.”

In fairness, a 30-year-old woman finding herself transformed into a loli is probably a win-win situation for all parties concerned.

atelier-meruru-002

Expect the game to be banned throughout the west.

In other remarks Gust revealed that if they cannot keep making loli Atelier games they will in fact die:

Have you decided on making the next Atelier?

If Gust doesn’t keep making Atelier games we’ll die, so I think we’d better keep making them if we want to live on!

In yet other news, it appears the next Atelier game (although it seems this is a spin-off rather than a “mothership” title) will actually be a suitably gorgeously illustrated fujoshi-oriented bishonen-centric affair – behold Atelier Elkrone:

atelier-elkrone

• Pretty decent game, although very basic gameplay-wise and it is based on item synthesis.

I’m kind of disappointed with this loli business though. Not because lolis are bad, but because they lost the chance to make an endearing 30 year old character. Look at stuff like Aria anime and they could probably portray a late 20’s, early 30 year olds in graceful, beautiful ways.

And I just had a laugh at the bishounen version. They’re really aiming their targets with these designs. Typical Gust.

• I hadn’t thought of it in that context but your right. Aria was a superb anime both visually and in it’s ability to focus on the little pleasures in life through the eyes of girls like Akari all the way to “Grandma”. A 30 year old heroine is definitely do-able.

Gust is probaly looking for the most return from their target buyers, hence loli’s and bishounen! Maybe next time?

I have re-watch Aria again soon, thanks for reminding me!

• @ Zanosuke_Kurosaki

I was considering bringing up Kiyone, because I must admit, to this day, her English voice actress actually causes my spine to shiver. And when she voiced Tsunami… I think I became narcoleptic. Her voice was sooo… hot, and sweet, and gorgeous. I entered instant relaxation mode.

I left her out because she was only a Universe character, so I opted in to adhering to purist perspective ^^ Even though I wonder how many people here are actually old enough for Tenchi…

I feel sad now…

• Zanosuke_Kurosaki says:

@HouseLife “Not our fault the only sensible woman in that whole damn series was underaged! ”

You forgot about Kiyone Makibi. She was damned sensible, too. She only ever showed an anger problem when Mihoshi did something stupid, and let’s face it, we the audience were raging at that dumb bitch, too.

• It’s kind of a moot point. In her thirties, she wouldn’t be going “Hawawa!” she’d be more like Sasami, which, as we all remember, is the bitch who made us all age-confused in the first place -_- Not our fault the only sensible woman in that whole damn series was underaged! All the others were batshit crazy! How can Sasami exist and these people still think every child has to act the same? Look at Ui for crying out loud, she became popular because of mature countenance. Even if she is in loli form though, I want to see her acting like Astrid. It’ll be adorable. If she goes back to what she was in the first one, it’ll just be a waste of a potential.

I’d like to believe they aren’t idiotic enough to not recognize that older women can be voluptuous and beautiful with a grace that can’t be seen from a younger woman. This is a hit on Kishida Mel for me, sadly… not being able to pull that off proves a lack of skill. And also the writers if they can’t make her grow as a character through the series, but I’ll hold my judgment on that. I still marvel at the atmosphere though, I’ll enjoy it for what it is, not what I wanted it to be.

• Anonymous says:

[Having a thirty-something Rorona going “hawawa!” was something I think everyone can do without.]

But to some, isn’t that a moe point? Regardless, it is doable.. I mean, you see Nanoha grow older too…

• Anonymous says:

Shizune from Naruto is rather endearing.

Nanako Amachi from Himitsu: Top Secret : The Revelation is as well.

Rin Asogi from Mnemosyne is as well. (And she’s way older than 30 to boot).

Grandma Granitz from Fractale is also a nice old lady. (And again beyond the 30 mark.)

Hanabusa Seki from Nobari No Ou is pretty endearing as well, as the older sister/surrogate mom type. (And she’s 40.)

And male examples would be:

Junichiro Izumida from Yakushiji Ryōko no Kaiki Jikenbo

As well as Captain Minase Daitetsu from Super Robot Wars (both season 1 and 2 and again, older than the 30 mark.)

And I’ve probably forgotten a ton of others. 😛

• You telling me Gust is making a game that has lolis plus cute girls plus bishounen and has a bishounen game on the works?? MY GOD is like they saw into my head!!!

…minus tentacles of course.

I NEED THESE GAMES.

• I think the other issue will be cute vs sexy.
      previous Rorona was cute with a lot of cute eccentrics, but a 30 year old Rorona would look like a dumb adult if kept with the same personality.

Transitioning her to sexy will be a dangerous task because people may say “That’s not Rorona!!!”

It’s easier and safer to re-child her actually.

• Honestly speaking, while I don’t know much about the game itself, keeping characters young is not always about making them appeal to the lolicons.

I’m of course basing my experiences regarding the aging process of characters on how I felt when they decided to age Nanoha and Fate in StrikerS.

• Anonymous says:

“Let me reiterate, it’s not about the actual physical age, it’s the change in the personality. Also, there’s nothing wrong with a 30 year old protagonist, if she gets introduced from that age and not an older version of a character we know and love.”

I wouldn’t mind if Henrietta, Triella and Claes from Gunslinger Girls were able to reach the age of 30.

What considering the fact that it means they actually survived the whole first gen. cyborg degeneration thingy that’s currently going on.

Or would you prefer dead loli’s over matured characters?

• Anonymous says:

>”Honestly speaking, while I don’t know much about the game itself, keeping characters young is not always about making them appeal to the lolicons”

From above Q&A: Q:――That Rorona has become smaller doesn’t change the fact that she is my wife. However I have to consider how this looks. In regards to that, how old is the small Rorona? If it’s about 9 then she can still be my wife, but if it’s any less, I guess she would have to be my little sister… (One who has crossed dimensions to meet Rorona)

A:Stop making it look like a criminal offense!!! Please focus on having fun together in the world of Arland!

Gust is selling to lolicons. Beginning, middle, and end of story. There’s a hardcore fetish market of a few thousand Japanese fans into lolicon, gay, gender-bend, etc. They pay big $$$, just like any fetish market. So a shrinking Japanese industry caters to them.

>”It’s a pretty common conception that when people grow older, they likely lose or ‘grow out of’ many characteristics that fans find endearing. This change or ‘maturing’ of a character that fans have grown to like can put off many if not done right.”

I’ve got great news for your…..Rorona actually isn’t real!!! She’s a scripted character that the developers can bring along however they please. She didn’t jump out of the game and suddenly go to college, get married, and have a child.

>”Also, there’s nothing wrong with a 30 year old protagonist, if she gets introduced from that age and not an older version of a character we know and love.”

So….characters we know and love shouldn’t get older….but they can get dramatically younger? That’s OK? Look, if you’re a pedo who wants to jack it to little anime girls, just say you like where Gust is going. Pedos and gays are apparently who they are catering too, so lot’s of fetish fans are in luck. Just don’t trot out leaky arguments to cover that fact.

• Anonymous says:

They never said they were catering to gays and lolicons.I do not know where you got gays from. They never said anything about putting gay content in the franchise, just some bishonen witch appeal to straight females and this is not a fan service or erotic game so you can “jack it to little anime girls” so saying it appeals to people that want to do such things is inaccurate. Just because it has a loli does not mean it appeals to such people.

• Anonymous says:

Just to add I would like to point Meitantei Conan, clearly a work aimed at shotacons that have deep cravings for… ok disregard everything I said 01:44 I’m just sad that my boyfriend left me for a younger girl.

• Anonymous says:

Developers shouldn’t be forced to change their games into ancient hag “Western games”.

I’m sick of everyone always being in their 30’s and so old. I’m not 30. I do not want to play a 30-year old looking character.

Who the hell started putting age-limits on characters inside video-games?

• Anonymous says:

It’s just to funny to read the comments of the trolls around here, because people are so fucking stupid to understand the difference between reality and fantasy, thus having lolis causes no harm. :3

Oh well, the trolls are starving anyway so keep sending out more trollbait for ’em

• Anonymous says:

You know Rorona should only be 28 in this game unless she ages differently. I’d be rather disappointed if she doesn’t return to normal by the end. 🙁
    Tifana was 23 in Atelier Rorona and is married in her 30s in Atelier Totori.
    Then we have Sterk…25 (young ikemen) to 33 (older ikemen) and now to 39 (still an ikemen).
    Personally I love seeing characters grow and mature. If I had my way then Rorona would be a literal MILF in Atelier Meruru. Have a kid with Sterk, etc. etc. etc.

The heroine in Atelier Elkrone looks suspiciously like Rorona. http://www.imagebam.com/image/478e9e136012731

• Anonymous says:

I lol at the fujoshi inspired next game.
    I mean Konami did make Tokimeki Memorial Girl’s Side before they made Love Plus, so in japan at least, there’s definitely a market for it. Wonder why there’s no fujoshi market in the USA?
    I thought that the next game would be a prequel to Rorona hence the loli-fication, ’cause you know, that’d make sense.

GAH WHY CAN’T I IMPORT THIS
    Its the principle thats important
    If I want to play this game why ban it !

Oddly enough the next game
    WILL NOT BE Banned in the west ^^
    Double Standard I predict

Feminists have someone reversed the tide

yaoi can be imported but opposites = sexist 😀

Insert Witty Counters and Commentary Below

• Ok, imagine this lass going up to a “Real” fantasy hero, like CONAN…

“Mistah! Will you help me in my quest for fame, to save the world and gain riches? I need a strong warrior who can protect me while I brew potions/spells whatever!”

“Uh…” …. “Little girl, like if there’s bandits hassling your mom I’ll clobber them, does she look good?”

“Look! I need a brave, strong adventurer to be my travelling companion and perhaps … lover. Really, most men my age are SUCH little boys!!!”

Conan —- runs away imagining Red Sonja even seeing him with her flirting with him like that and using it as an excuse to go after him….

• Anonymous says:

This game doesn’t stand a chance against Generic Bald Space Marines First Person Shooters,and of course all those Generic Medieval RPG that looks the same and stupid shallow stories.You lolicon morons!
      Of course this is due to the fact that one of my dreams is to be penetrated by a muscular bald space marine. I love seeing their asses wiggling in my 120″ flatscreen while I jerk off.

• So with such deep ageism in Japan… do most otaku just kill themselves when they reach 30? I mean, the message is loud and clear that you suck once you’re out of your 20s, and if you’re not a lolicon, then there’s only a few things targeted at you.

I’m not saying ban the lolis, lolicon is evil, etc. I’m just saying that you’re basically dead to the culture at that age. It’s like Logan’s Run.

• Anonymous says:

Just let them already, they getting tired of their ideas always, always, getting constantly changed because the higher, especially in the case of localized games always telling them to change their stuff and original ideas. I can understand that much.

• Anonymous says:

Hell No! This is disgusting! *fap fap fap fap* Why does Japan have to turn everything into pedo shit! *fap fap fap fap* They need to ban this sick shit outright! *fap fap fap fap* *splat* I’m so offended by this I don’t know what the fuck.

• Anonymous says:

it just hit me Elkrone is a colab game with an otome game developer…. Otomeito…. ok so who’s the artist from the looks its still Mel’s art but… i can’t describe it well

• Anonymous says:

plus the new atelier game bishounens and kishida mel… if that wasnt the case for Cranach already sheesh… tell me female atelier players out there WHO TOOK THIS GUY’S ENDING?

• As always the art of these games is stunning, although the whole “zomg we can’t have a woman over 30” mentality says a lot. On the other hand, considering how she actually behaves, maybe keeping her young is a good thing. They’re part of her character, but having an adult act like that’s more sad than cute. I’ll probably never buy any of these games at any rate, the art’s nice but the gameplay’s not really my thing.

• Can anyone translate this portion of the interview?

――ロロナが幼女化するのは、いつごろから決まっていたのですか? (もんじゃの閃士)

去年の夏ごろには決まっておりました。 あと幼女化じゃなくて子ども化ですから! そこはお間違えのないように!

――ロロナが小さくなりましたが、俺の嫁であることには変わりありません。 しかし世間体というものがあります。 そこで質問なのですが、小さいロロナは何歳くらいなのでしょうか? 9歳くらいなら嫁で通しますが、それ以下ならさすがに妹にするしか……。 (ロロナに会うために次元を超えた者)

だから犯罪になるようなことはやめてー!!! 一緒にアーランドの世界を楽しむだけに留めておいてくださいね!

• Anonymous says:

Is the fact that [rorona] converts to woman young when around the empty to have been decided? (It is the flashing loyal retainer) around summer of last year we had been decided. After there is no woman conversion young, because it is [te] child conversion! Way you make a mistake there it is not! – – [rorona] became small, but it does not change to the fact that it is we wife. But there is the world body. Then it is to be question, but is small [rorona] probably to be about some year? If about 9 years old it passes with the wife, but if below that it should make as expected the younger sister ……. Therefore (the person who exceeds dimension in order to meet to [rorona]), as for kind of becoming crime stopping, -!!! Because the world of [arando] is enjoyed together, don’t you think? please stop!

• Anonymous says:

Very nice google translate, but not very useful. Here is a real translation:

――When did you decide to make Rorona into a little girl? (Monja Warrior)

Around the summer of last year. Also, it’s not “little girl” but rather “child”. Please don’t confuse the two!

• Well the preview looks visually pleasing.

I haven’t played these games I think
    <– missing out lol

then again I haven't been able to get a new game in almost half a year.
    I find it funny that where always making young character immortal or older then they look (stated already by someone else)
    But we don't make many adult characters that are young at heart.

Personally I don't really care weather the character is young or old but they need to play to that. If the character is young they should be un-experienced and it should show. I think I'm going to go play Dark Cloud now lol ( I dont know why it makes me want to play that)

• Anonymous says:

I remember when the Atelier games used to be real games. Like in Atelier Iris. You know, when there was a story, and a plot and you did something other then playing a barely existant game.

Now I think the artwork is beautifull, and it looks really good. But I played Atelier Rorona, and the entire game I was thinking, “Ok so when is the plot going to show up?” And well, the plot was to just simply synth items day after day. I felt so disapointed.

• Anonymous says:

so, Atelier Ellie and Marie were RPGs as well? haven’t played those ones. I can say this much, though. After playing Atelier Annie, and reading about Rorona/Totori/Meruru, is that that it seems Atelier Iris seems to be the one that deviates from the original gameplay.

• “Having a thirty-something Rorona going “hawawa!” was something I think everyone can do without.”

Hanyuu is a few hundred years old and I never get tired of her “Auauauaua”

Just use the same loop hole that Japan always employs for Loli characters. Despite their appearance they’re old/immortal.

• Anonymous says:

In all the Atelier games I played you get to make the philosopher’s stone at high enough skill level. That’s mythologically connected to the elixir. So for all intent and purposes reverse ageing is plausible in the lore. It is just very hard and need rare ingredients.

• Anonymous says:

what the fuck am i reading.. what’s with this pedo bullshit

there’s nothing wrong with a sexy 30-year old lady, what’s wrong with the japs and their lust for children… seriously

*and now they will attack me with downvotes*

• Anonymous says:

Isn’t she still going to be 30 anyways, just for some reason her body gets turned loli? That’s stupid as hell… Atelier games used to be good before Rorona came out…

• Anonymous says:

This is the point where it doesn’t feel wrong to call Gust pedophiles…

I honestly wouldn’t have a problem with a 30+ old Rorona, seeing as good-looking women in their 30’s aren’t THAT rare…

• Fuck off…

You know that we have like … a bazillion western games with 30+ characters ?
      Actually there are no games with young characters from the west. Not even as more important side characters.

Elder Scrolls doesn’t even use children. Skyrim won’t have them either.
      So it’s very very nice to have something that balances those western games out.

And if Guts is full of lolicons ? Heck … even better !

• Anonymous says:

I’m not sure how you being a member of the pedo-squad is somehow a rebuttal that Gust is targeting hardcore otaku-fetish audiences.

They can do that. And you can like it. But let’s not start up BS like ‘they are just balancing out the lack of children in Western gaming!’.

• Anonymous says:

But what does that have to do with not allowing Rorona to age? This is just an easy money grab now, plain and simple.

Also no young characters from the west?
          -Boy and his blob
          -Psychonauts
          -Fable
          -Kameo: Elements of Power
          -Costume Quest

It’s like your not even trying… tell us again we don’t have young characters in our games c’mon tell us.

• Not bullshit at all.
          The major RPGs of the West don’t have children.

The Elder Scrolls Lore implies there are children, but they do not appear in the actual game.
          Mass Effect has no children either.
          The Dragon Age Series has only Connor in origins that is ‘somewhat important’.
          Fallout 3 has a few children as side characters that play some sort of role.
          And then of course theres the Bioshock series.

But especialy RPGs don’t feature young characters at all and theres a huge age gap between western and eastern characters.
          It’s so obvious that you cannot possibly deny it.

• Anonymous says:

I’m sorry, but that’s just shitty. This idea that women are disposable when they get too “old” and that these creators can’t stand to look at women in their 30s is just fucking disgusting.

I don’t know where they live but I’ve seen plenty of hot 30 something women.

Also, sorry but if you can’t evolve a cute character into an adult then you need to be fired from character design. Whoever copped out and just made her a kid for such a lame excuse shouldn’t be in that line of work.

• Anonymous says:

I get tired of seeing faggety jrpgs with 15 year old protagonists. Its time the japs put some adults into their fucking games. Middle aged women can be fucking beautiful, its time the japs stopped lusting after 12 year old kids all the fucking time, the sick pedo bastards that they are

• Anonymous says:

I have a pressing urge to call these devs pedophiles.

It’s not like they have to make Rorona’s face look like any bitch from Duke Nukem or just about any typical mature female characters in Western comics(blocky face with swollen lips). Have they not ever heard of the term ‘jukujo’, ‘maman’ or ‘hitozuma’??? Hell, the likes of Rie Tanaka and Yui Horie still look above average for being an ‘old hag’ by 2ch’s standards.

Fuck you, Gust. You don’t wanna say anymore to avoid making personal attacks? You have already made one with the way you treated Rorona!

FUCK YOU, LOLICON PEDOPHILES!!!!!

• Anonymous says:

Your instances of Japanese women don’t count. The Atelier characters are all pseudo-European, and there is something about the facial structure of actual Europeans and East Asians that makes them appear to age at different rates.

What I really wanted to see, but won’t, is a 40-something Astrid to return.

• Anonymous says:

If they want to label any woman past the age of 25 a dried up old crone, that’s their choice. However, they better not complain when a bunch of gaijin go over there looking for gorgeous 26 year old girlfriends, and find themselves neck deep in Japanese poontang.