creepy-otaku-room

A dating article which singles out men with an unhealthy (i.e. any) interest in gaming as being amongst the least appealing sort of partner to the fairer sex has lately been making waves online, with the article even going to rank the pastime alongside such scurrilous pursuits as “visiting brothels,” “being interested in idols,” and, of course, “maintaining a figure collection.”

The list in question – “The guy who does this by himself is absolutely no good!”:

He stays home alone and plays games

Most women do not seem to think much of men who play games all the time. It doesn’t matter how handsome he is, if a man spends all day gaming, he’ll refuse to go on dates and won’t have an interest in such cultural pursuits as going to watch a movie or listen to music, or even engage in conversation, so a relationship won’t last.

When considering the future, many will likely be concerned about the bad influence such interests may exert on children. It’ll probably be hard for him to date a highly feminine woman.

He goes to brothels by himself

Whether he goes alone or with his friends, most women will be put out by a man using a brothel. To say nothing of him hiding it from his girlfriend and going…

He chases after idols by himself

It can’t be helped that women want to be given a break from men who chase idols. However you look at it, a man who learns dance moves, dons a headband and starts cheering loudly at an idol concert has no appeal whatsoever to the opposite gender.

He’s a solitary trophy collector

The kind of guy who secretly makes off with personal items like jewellery from all the girls he dates, and builds a trophy collection.

He plays with dolls by himself

He makes or buys dolls with emphasised boobage, etc, then lines his room with – there’s no way you can be anything but creeped out by this. You really can’t help but label him a pervert.

He’s a solitary claimer [complainer]

He’s the kind of guy who spends his time filling comment forms and forum threads with insults about some product or maker he doesn’t like, and even phones the company and files complaints with them. Even if he tries to keep it secret, he’ll soon find himself with no friends left.

Online the list has met with an inexplicably chilly reaction from 2ch and company, and some doubt about whether any of the targeted activities would actually be any more acceptable if conducted in the company of lots of friends has been raised…

04:26 13/06/2011 # ! Quality (+1.0)

What girl would be worth both your gaming hobby and your figure collection? They seem to put rather high values on themselves.

04:36 13/06/2011 # ! Quality (+1.0)

Having hobbies of our own, our own time alone, playing games for hours or collecting figures isn't really a big deal at all. The real problem is when someone is too obsessed about it. If you don't care about spending at least some time with someone, would that be called a relationship anyways? It's not about putting rather high values on anyone, but having some self respect. I'd rather have someone that at least cares about my existence.

Comment by SpideyPHL
    05:11 13/06/2011 # ! Quality (+0.8)

True, but this list makes it sound as if anyone who spends their off time playing games is a basement dweller. (although looking at the source page, a Hiki gamer is a different story altogether, but the description doesn't make that distinction) I've always played games in my solo time, but spending time with other people always takes precedence over that, especially a significant other. Sometimes I do want some "me" time, but that's the same with anyone.

That said, someone who couldn't accept my main hobby/passtime is a no-go as a girlfriend/wife--the tension caused by that would blow up sooner or later, no matter how patient we both are about it.

15:55 13/06/2011 # ! Good (+0.8)

I'm a highly effeminate woman who has a few figures and is an avid gamer. It's more fun to game with your boyfriend and share interests, so I look for a gamer in my boyfriend :D

Comment by Silver Wolf Vaden
    06:31 13/06/2011 # ! Good (+0.6)

Exactly. One is better off finding someone who they can compromise with or someone with similar interests. It just makes life far easier and less tense.

07:42 14/06/2011 # ! Neutral (+0.4)

Sometimes, I can't understand what's the big deal about this kind of topics. If someone's hobbies are too obsessed to the point that they affect his/her life and relationships (like buying too much figures while you don't really have much money for living, or playing games all the time to the point that you ignore your partner's, family and friends' existence), then of course we can't expect someone else to put up with this person. If someone's hobbies are healthy, then if his/her partner accepts them or not is just a matter of compatibility, and there's no need to stress over it (some find fishing a nice hobby, some finds it boring/turn off, some like geeky ones, some don't). And this go for any hobby of both sexes.

Ladies, you've just given me back my hope after reading the article.

09:57 13/06/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

What if i'm obsessed with masturbation?

Comment by PirateKing
    14:19 13/06/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

Yeah right, and when you find this magical girl then shake here because there might drop gold coins out of her various orifices...

12:22 13/06/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

find a girl who will have sex whenever, wherever and as many times in the day you want.
    That could fix you're problem.

09:29 13/06/2011 # ! Good (+0.6)

And those girls are usually the fugliest of them all.

Comment by Shippoyasha
    16:24 13/06/2011 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

I think being a hikkikomori and a shut-in is not always exclusive towards gamer behavior or vice versa.

The issue is legitimate. If you're highly addicted to games and NEVER socialize, you will likely not get a partner (same goes for both genders, not just guys).

I think that's what people don't really quite understand.

It doesn't matter if people have their hobbies, games or not. If people are in a relationship that is genuine and fun, conversations will happen. If people don't after being branded proper as 'significant other', THEN something is seriously wrong with them socially.

Really, with games like this one, who needs girls???

09:42 13/06/2011 # ! Neutral (-0.2)

aww u just mad that your anti-social, deviant, increased chance of committing suicide-tier hobbies will keep u frum scoring even Japanese pussy, regardless of your "foreign" status.

You were so confident, too....

Comment by Master Chief
    13:40 13/06/2011 # ! Neutral (-0.2)

For "How never to attract guys" article simple:

1.) No oppai, no chance
    2.) No beauty, no chance
    3.) No cuteness, no chance
    4.) Fat, no chance.
    5.) Whiny bitch, no chance.

06:18 15/06/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

what if she's the contrary of all of the above except #5? The beauty, boobs, cuteness and slimness would make up for her horrible whiny+bithcy personality?

kapow òo

05:01 13/06/2011 # ! Quality (+1.0)

thats why my gf is an otaku we both collecting anime figures pillows and stuff lol

Comment by Ken
    06:46 13/06/2011 # ! Good (+0.6)

Damn, you're lucky!

07:53 13/06/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

But she's ugly as shit.

Comment by Actar
    09:38 13/06/2011 # ! Good (+0.6)

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. It is only through society's mental molding from an early age with Barbies do you form a preconception that prestige/success/status = cute/beautiful girlfriend.

I say NO! What's wrong with having an ugly girlfriend? What's wrong with having no girlfriend? What's wrong with remaining a virgin for life? What's wrong with being your own person and deciding your own destiny?

Absolutely nothing I say! You don't die, you don't fall sick, you don't get bankrupt. You triumph! You grow! You evolve!

Though seriously, there's nothing wrong with it. I mean, sexual desires can be easily sated through masturbation and brothels. If you have too much money, why not blow it on a car or a computer or a figure or something instead of buying a new handbag for your partner?

It's the Man! He's brainwashed us to feeling insecure if we don't procreate, if we don't conform to his will! DOWN WITH THE MAN!!!

*Disclaimer: The above was 10% fact, 10% opinion, 30% exaggeration and 50% bullshit.

13:12 13/06/2011 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

The way i look at it is that there is consequences for being alone or being a virgin for the rest of your life, but now come on people, how about thinking outside the box? o:
    If your someone who is sure that they have no chance of losing virginity or being in a relationship then try finding a goal or something else that you'll enjoy regardless of what others think.
    Like inventing or being a scientist for whatever domain or trying something new that humanity itself would have never thought of.
    You got all this time to think about it and attempt it even if its gonna be a fail or a success.
    Keep enjoying your hobbies, wether it's in secret or in public. :D
    ''inb4 massively trolled comment''

Comment by Diemeow23
    12:09 13/06/2011 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

I won't lie I'm not too handsome but not ugly either, what does happen is that girls always find it surprising the hobby that I do(anime/manga)If it turns them away then they are not worth my time.I'm not gonna sacrifice what I love for someone who can't accept me for what I am. I'm a classic weaboo -_-

The only reason I still don't have a girlfriend is that I would not be able to spend as much time on my hobby, that's all

Nothing in the world says that only the ugly ones go for anime/manga/games and yes figures (who do you think cosplayers are?). If you still don't believe me watch Genshiken if you still don't believe that then my friend poor you, there is a balance between keeping a good image and your won interests. As long as your hobby/interests don't affect anyone negatively then there is nothing wrong with it

Haters are just gonna keep hating!

Comment by GodMan
    13:40 13/06/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

Damnit Actar! I actually took your words to heart since its pretty much my view on the world

Still going to use that magnificent speech minus the disclaimer ;)

08:14 14/06/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

Actar, what you wrote was nice 'till "If you have too much money, why not blow it on a car or a computer or a figure or something instead of buying a new handbag for your partner?".

1st, there are many women who can buy a new handbag for themselves;

2nd, if you consider partners as only someone you buy stuffs to get sex back, then you're not getting a real partner/gf, just a whore, and that's just your choice. It's your choice to choose whores as partners, or women who has more self respect and prefers partners who values them as equal individuals rather.

By the way, there are many people just interested in sex and many people just interested in money, there are many bad people in both sexes. But the good ones in life exists, it's just like all the good things in life it's rare, yet it doesn't mean it's impossible. But it's up to each of us to choose to be with a partner who exchanges sex for presents or someone who's actually an equal partner.

"I say NO! What's wrong with having an ugly girlfriend? What's wrong with having no girlfriend? What's wrong with remaining a virgin for life?"

Everything, actually.

Here is the secret guys, get the girl to know you before you share your dirty laundry. Women will forgive a lot of things if you get them to like you first.

14:15 13/06/2011 # ! Good (+0.8)

Its hard to find anyone with more value than my hobbies

Comment by GodMan
    11:34 14/06/2011 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

Couldn't have said it better myself :)

02:01 14/06/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

I would rather choose my hobby over someone who won't be able to accept me, if she can't accept me for me then they aren't worth MY time, and people can try and fool you to think you have to change yourself in order for others to accept you but it takes a real connection to be accepted regardless of your status/likes/beliefs.

'Its sad when people are telling themselves its okay to be a virgin... No one with half a brain believes you are serious and not just trying to cover up your own insecurities.'

Why does society, feel the need to push there values on you. My god people like you act as if, losing your virgenity is a big thing

07:57 14/06/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

"I would rather choose my hobby over someone who won't be able to accept me, if she can't accept me for me then they aren't worth MY time,"

But if you're just gaming all the day then are you actually spending any of your time with someone else?

I guess that this: "But if your room is covered in dolls and you just play games all day then you need psychological help and any girl is smart to realize that she can get a guy who will actually be worth her time."

...actually meant that if someone doesn't actually care about spending time with you at all but only with the games, then this person isn't really worth of anyone's time anyways.

If you want someone to care and accept you by who you are, then first please think if it is really reasonable at all, and if in return you also care and accept the other person the way he/she is at all.

06:44 13/06/2011 # ! Quality (+1.0)

I'd rather be a gamer, than a bitch who can't log out of Facebook.

16:20 14/06/2011 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

100+ free Internets for you

05:47 13/06/2011 # ! Quality (+1.0)

Japanese girls dyed blonde, that's no good at all.

Comment by Actar
    04:43 13/06/2011 # ! Quality (+0.8)

You know, all the above activities are precisely BECAUSE the guy can't attract girls in the first place.

Hell, I always believe that a good partner must accept everything about you, the good and the bad. You always hear stories in the collecting community that go like this:

"My girlfriend/wife asked me to throw out my Transformers/Anime/Figure collection."

Seriously, if she can't even put up with your collection/hobby/interest, that's a big red flag that your relationship won't last long.

Also:

"He makes or buys dolls with emphasised boobage..."

All my dolls are DFCs thank you very much.

08:24 14/06/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

It depends. If the hobby is not being unhealthy (buying lots of figures while you barely have money for living), then it's just a matter of compatibility. But if it's becoming an obsession, then it's just unrealistic to expect someone else to accept it unconditionally.

Well... DFC dolls would mean you're a pedo to those 'unaccommodating' and 'picky' girls, that's even worse...

I'd wager the problem with 'emphasized boobage' is that most Japanese girls just can't rival with a piece of plastic, if you know what I mean, most of them are pretty flat (though perfectly fine by my standards) and it wouldn't surprise me if some people actually preferred to fondle hard PVC instead of soft A-cups.

Comment by Koji
    06:10 13/06/2011 # ! Neutral (-0.3)

"Whatever the case, why are (so many) girls so picky, shallow and unaccommodating?"

I could ask the same question about nerds.

What's wrong with a girl wanting her partner to have normal hobbies and actually take care of himself?

Also, your partner complaining about your collection isn't a red flag. It's a test to see if you're competent enough to convince her that it's not a threat to your relationship.

07:12 13/06/2011 # ! Good (+0.6)

"What's wrong with a girl wanting her partner to have normal hobbies and actually take care of HER?"

There, fixed.

More to the point, love and relationship in general is all about boosting your ego by receiving special attention from your significant other.
    Some people(usually girls/women) feel more need for that ego boost than others and thus have low tolerance for anything their significant other might do that isn't directly related to her.
    There's nothing like test or whatever, it's pure attention craving *look at me, not at those figures*

Now while i do agree no one should get obsessed over his games/collection/whatever, it's similarly bad for someone to get obsessed over his significant other hobbies.

Oh, and yes, japanese womens do tend to have really high standards on top of being really careful about how society might perceive them, thus, dating someone doing something that is shuned upon by society is a no go.
    Hell, if fishing was categorized as a brainless activity, it'd be in the top 10 hobbies you don't want your boyfriend to have.

00:54 14/06/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

Hey, you leave fishing out of this.

Bloody no fun brigade!

Comment by Actar
    08:47 13/06/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

The answer to your question is that there is nothing wrong.

The problem comes in when people and society dictate the 'norms' and 'expectations' and force nerds and girls alike to conform to societal norms and expectations.

Comment by DoubleX31
    07:50 13/06/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

Uh what? What's abnormal about playing games or watching anime/collecting figures?

What are you even doing on this site?

Comment by Koji
    11:57 13/06/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

Of course it does. I never mentioned the birthrate though.

Comment by Actar
    09:52 13/06/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

Of course, gender equality, the high cost of living and other unimportant factors like that don't do anything to affect the birth rate whatsoever.

Comment by Koji
    09:37 13/06/2011 # ! Neutral (-0.2)

I'm here because I grew up enjoying anime and I've been lurking Sankon for ages. Nothing wrong with gaming in moderation, but not the biggest fan of figures though.

To the anon above, fuck football. If you wanna spend your days gaming feel free. More opportunity for others. It's like toons, games and collecting filters the gene pool.

Comment by PirateKing
    14:21 13/06/2011 # ! Neutral (-0.2)

I think the gene pool you came from should have been filtered. It seems it spawned all kinds of shit...

Comment by Ken
    06:39 13/06/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

Isn't gaming a normal hobby?

This articles are generalizing the concept of an unhealthy hobby ("He stays home alone and plays games"), of course it's deliberately sensationalist; it's not like the vast majority of us play videogames/spend time with collectible figures all day long. Of course some are addicted, but they seem harder to find a girlfriend in first place.
    It seems that when a girl becomes your GF she wants to change you right away and that's just wrong, because if she wants to be your GF it should be because who you are (hobbies included). If she wants to change you, that's the red flag right there.

"Whats wrong with a girl wanting her partner to have normal hobbies"

Lolwut? What do you mean normal? I guess I have to stop playing games and watch football all day while screaming GO JETS or something to be normal.

Retard.

15:12 13/06/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

> Does your chances of scoring an attractive girlfriend decrease the more hours you play games? Absolutely.

it's not like it really matters, since most ppl here are happy with their 2d waifus...

Comment by Koji
    14:32 13/06/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

"what if society tells you to jump off a bridge? will you?"

Really? Obviously I'm not going to jump. That's an extreme, vague, and unlikely situation. If you had thought constructively you could take any social movement or something from popular culture.

Normal is 'average' within society. Unfortunately anime fans and gamers are not normal.

Does the person who sits next to me in class play video games? Probably. For more than 3 hours a day? Probably not. Does your chances of scoring an attractive girlfriend decrease the more hours you play games? Absolutely.

13:18 13/06/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

>> Society defines what is normal. You can violate what is normal and get positive or negative feedback.

lol, so you're gonna lay down and accept every darn thing society dictates? what if society tells you to jump off a bridge? will you?
    c'mon...

Comment by Koji
    12:04 13/06/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

Let's bring it into the picture because you CAN define what is normal. Hell you said it yourself that:

"when people and society dictate the 'norms' and 'expectations' and force nerds and girls alike to conform to societal norms and expectations."

Comment by Actar
    09:54 13/06/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

No, no, no. I think pumping iron 23 hours a day, taking steroids and earning billions is in the realms of general societal acceptance.

Though seriously, it is nearly impossible to define what is 'normal'. So let's not bring that into the picture.

...man, I am sarcastic today.